Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqcncLPi9zw

Official Disney Summary: In Marvel Studios' “Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3” our beloved band of misfits are looking a bit different these days. Peter Quill, still reeling from the loss of Gamora, must rally his team around him to defend the universe along with protecting one of their own. A mission that, if not completed successfully, could quite possibly lead to the end of the Guardians as we know them. James Gunn writes and directs “Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3,” which stars Chris Pratt, Zoe Saldana, Dave Bautista, Karen Gillan, Pom Klementieff, featuring Vin Diesel as Groot, Bradley Cooper as Rocket, Sean Gunn, Chukwudi Iwuji, Will Poulter and Maria Bakalova. Kevin Feige is the producer and Louis D’Esposito, Victoria Alonso, Nikolas Korda, Simon Hatt and Sara Smith serve as executive producers.

James Gunn says farewell to the MCU with this sequel to The Guardians of the Galaxy Holiday Special before taking on his new role as the architect of the incipient DCU. Seemingly disconnected from the broader franchise plotting, expectations are that this movie will be the last to feature this particular incarnation of the Guardians of the Galaxy.

Primary Cast
Chris Pratt as Peter Quill / Star-Lord
Zoe Saldaña as Gamora
Dave Bautista as Drax the Destroyer
Karen Gillan as Nebula
Pom Klementieff as Mantis
Vin Diesel as Groot
Bradley Cooper as Rocket
Sean Gunn as Kraglin Obfonteri
Chukwudi Iwuji as the High Evolutionary
Will Poulter as Adam Warlock
Elizabeth Debicki as Ayesha
Maria Bakalova as Cosmo the Spacedog
Sylvester Stallone as Stakar Ogord

The film releases May 4, 2023.

Some reviews from Rotten Tomatoes, where it sits at 78% on May 1st:

Positive

"Vol. 3 is a messy, overstuffed finale. But you rarely question whether Gunn’s heart is in it."
Jake Coyle, Associated Press

"Guardians 3 is a cheerful goodbye to many of the studio’s best heroes, who somehow managed to get through an entire series without being ruined by the larger superhero universe they inhabit. For Marvel, that’s both a win and a problem."
David Sims, The Atlantic

"This sci-fi/action/comedy still succumbs to a few of the MCU issues of late—bloated runtime, things-go-boom finale, too many characters—but there’s a creativity to the filmmaking, dialogue, and performances that modern superhero movies often lack."
Brian Tallerico, RogerEbert.com

Negative

"I regret to inform you that the Guardians of the Galaxy as you know them are dead. What remains in Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 3 are flickering remnants of fun times, but mostly maudlin bullshit."
Kristy Puchko, Mashable

"Half of Vol. 3 is an outright drama, heavy with themes of loss and terror. It’s an odd, lumbering patchwork of a film, occasionally fascinating but otherwise bloated and aimless."
Richard Lawson, Vanity Fair

"Solemnity is the guiding light here, and solemnity doesn’t suit the Guardians. When detouring through your designated corner of perfectly calibrated cosmic sloppiness starts to feel like a chore and a slog, you have a serious problem on your hands."
– David Fear, Rolling Stone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
There are videos on Youtube with GotG3 spoilers in their titles and thumbnails, so stay safe out there and keep your eyes closed

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Lol of course there are.

I'm tempted to check this one out. Gotg2 was super disappointing for me though and I've been checked out of the mcu for quite a bit so I'll probably wait until it hits VoD unless it gets a bunch of positive reviews from goons

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Saw the trailer in front of Return of the Jedi today and thought Racoon voice sounded really different and they had replaced BC but I guess its still him.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

StrugglingHoneybun posted:

There are videos on Youtube with GotG3 spoilers in their titles and thumbnails, so stay safe out there and keep your eyes closed

Thank you, I’ll avoid it. GOTG 2 is my favorite MCU so I’m pretty excited but super busy so it’s not a priority for me right now to see…

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
https://twitter.com/karengillan/status/1653813128033972253

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
Saw this last night.

TLDR: Movie good! It's basically two movies in one, and one of them is kind of incredible and the other is upper-tier MCU. I'd put it above the second but below the first, which remains my favourite MCU. Aside from one unfortunate moment at the end (which I'll get to), it's a very definite goodbye to these characters, at least as the classic group.

Unfocussed details:

This is most definitely Rocket Raccoon's movie and it's so much stronger for it. Rocket's backstory, which takes up probably 25% of the runtime, is astonishing. It'll break your heart into a million pieces, it's terrifying, it's exhilarating, the vocal performances and CGI are wonderful. Best of all, it recontextualises everything Rocket's done across the MCU and brings to a satisfying end one of the MCU's best character arcs.

Everyone who's in the movie is great. I posted in the megathread that everyone in the cast, particularly Pratt and Bautista, looks checked out and done, but they all bring their a-game. Pratt's definitely back to his best and nails the comedic scenes, Sandana leaves nothing behind and looks like she's having the time of her life, both Gillan and Klementieff get to play with new elements of their characters and do a great job. Chukwudi Iwuji is loving awesome as the High Evolutionary, a very charismatic and powerful screen presence who clearly relishes eating the scenery. The character is truly a monster (I loved the details of the Guardians being genuinely disgusted and furious at his deeds) and his inevitable defeat is very cathartic. Will Poulter is great as Adam Warlock and his characterisation is amusing, but he isn't really in the film enough to make a good impact.

Gunn does well at pulling off his usual trick of "everyone has a role to play", Kraglin and Cosmo (<3) both get their moments in the sun that are very well-delivered.

The movie is probably a little too long at 2.5 hours but is well-paced. The plot is a nice mix of world-building and typical GOTG heist fare, and the interplay between the characters is very well-written and performed.

The disbanding scene at the end was bad. Star-Lord's grandfather comes up at the very beginning then isn't mentioned again in the frenzy of the plot until right at the end when Star-Lord decides to leave. Mantis wanting to leave was absolutely not even hinted at and completely comes out of nowhere. Nebula's "you weren't born to be a Destroyer, you were born to be a dad" line to Drax is possibly the worst thing Gunn has ever written. Everything else about the scene was alright, I guess, but the final scene on Knowhere was great.

Mid-credits scene: Rocket is the captain of the next generation of Guardians, made up of him, Groot, Adam Warlock, Kraglin, one of the children saved from High Evolutionary and a monster alien. Cute scene.

Post-credits scene: Star-Lord is back on Earth and eating cereal with his grandfather. I loved it, but it ended with "THE INCREDIBLE STAR-LORD WILL RETURN!", which was unfortunate and made someone behind me say "oh gently caress off".

Future of the franchise: This is most definitely the end of the characters as a team, and as most of the characters have completed arcs and no desire for further adventures (particularly Nebula and Drax), it's hard to see how they'd be brought back. Star-Lord is, I guess, guaranteed to return in some form but I have pretty significant doubts as to how he would work on his own without the rest of the characters.

Adrianics fucked around with this message at 09:00 on May 4, 2023

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Saw this last night. A good Guardians movie, though didn’t feel the same magic as the first time watching Guardians 1.

It had jokes, action and music all done generally well. If you’ve seen the other movies you know what to expect. In terms of the new additions Adam Warlock is a a spoilt evil Drax man baby while High Evolutionary is a scenery chewing genocidal maniac. Both do what they are meant to do very well.

Music maybe wasn’t quite up to par with other movies. The opening song sequence is very subdued compared to the charisma of the first or the frenetic fun of the second movies and it’s hard to pick many songs that actually stood out (No Sleep Til Brooklyn and Dog Days Are Over excepted). Still better than 90% of movies.

The Rocket backstory also dragged for me. He’s sad, he’s tortured, high evolutionary needs to get got. I get it and don’t need so much time on it, especially as I found it all fairly telegraphed and mawkish. My teen nephew who I took did cry multiple times though, so that’s just me.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

A further random point about the end credits, which I'll spoil in case anyone wants to be surprised: I loved the end credits! A mixture of photos of the characters and the actors behind-the-scenes, with tributes to Stan Lee and James Gunn Sr. I'm not ashamed to say that I choked up at the use of "Come and Get Your Love" in the mid-credits scene, a call-back to Star-Lord's introduction in the first movie.

Zoobtro
Aug 22, 2003

Got miself a nice little earner, isn't it
I obviously missed something but where did all those kids at the end come from and why were they there?

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Zoobtro posted:

I obviously missed something but where did all those kids at the end come from and why were they there?

They were High Evolutionary’s next stab at the perfect race as he’d already decided the ani-people weren’t right. Dude was just going to keep on creating races and then genociding them because they weren’t perfect forever.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 27 days!)

I liked it.
Not as good as GoTG2, but it did its story.
Much better than the mess of Ant-man or underwhelming Black Panther 2.

Bautista definitely looks done as Drax. He looked like a strong dude in GoTG1 and finishes looking like a fat old grandpa.
Loved Cosmo. Wanted much more of him.

Everyone having their little arcs was fine.
I really liked that Other Gamora doesn't end up with Peter. She's a total different person, and I glad they committed to that.
Also liked how Racoon saved the regular animals.

And I know its a cliche. But I always love when the dying person sees their dead friends at the crossing. And the dead person tells them its not time yet and sends them back. I'm a sucker for it.

They actually gave us enough time to show the ani-people had their lives and culture, and him killing all of them actually felt an impact on it.

There was some weird parts though. Like during a space battle near the end, everyone's ships windows was getting smashed, and no one was getting sucked out and it seemed like none of them were reacting at all.

Kind of lazy that High Evolutionary main power was the same as Kang, some gravity/telekinesis thing.
Also, what was the point of ripping his face off?

GateOfD fucked around with this message at 04:11 on May 5, 2023

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Rocket had clawed the poo poo out of it when he was escaping, so it was probably to demonstrate that the figurative wounds were still with him through the literal.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I think the face reveal was meant to show that it was always about revenge more than harvesting his brain for science

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Better read than mine.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Kind of a messy movie but Gunn really went for it. I am actually shocked they allowed him to make a legit James Gunn rear end James Gunn movie with all the fleshy bits to boot.

What’s hosed up was how much I enjoyed this. It’s not the best, but it’s leagues ahead of practically everything in the MCU right now, on film and tv. As I walked out I was thinking about how boring Black Panther 2 was and just how forgettable antman 3 was.

I really enjoyed the chemistry this cast had too. It’s a shame it’s over since, I don’t think Marvel really has anything else left in the tank at this level of quality.

Like this movie proves you need to go all in and let the directors rock with their own vision because it’s hard to give a poo poo about whatever it is they’re trying to do on the grander scale.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s incredible this film is almost 3 hours of the guardians just trying to save their own.

No stupid kang or set up or big nonsense.

I adored it. I loved how weird and gross it was a lot of the time. I loved how it was actually dark in a few places. And violent. It was a full James Gunn movie complete with everything that goes with it.

The planet made of flesh is amazing.

I think at the end there’s a split second where you see Grant Grant’s house from SLiTHER. It got me all excited but if I’m wrong lol. And also because it ends with Gregg Henry showing back up, and that’s just wonderful

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

GateOfD posted:

And I know its a cliche. But I always love when the dying person sees their dead friends at the crossing. And the dead person tells them its not time yet and sends them back. I'm a sucker for it.

During that sequence, I was half-expecting Original Groot to show up, but I suppose that would be too confusing for some since they never explicitly explained in-movie that they're supposed to be two different characters.

CelticPredator posted:

I adored it. I loved how weird and gross it was a lot of the time. I loved how it was actually dark in a few places. And violent. It was a full James Gunn movie complete with everything that goes with it.

I'm genuinely surprised he got to go as far as he did with the flashbacks. This is a movie series that has two separate Disney theme park rides and James Gunn decided to finish it all with upsetting nightmare imagery that's probably going to mess up a few kids. Yet his higher ups just let him go hog wild.

Anyway, big fan of the part when the team wanders into the set of a Doom game.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Everything having to do with Adam Warlock in this movie was confusing to me. I had no idea what the gently caress was happening with that guy at all.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Saw it yesterday, thought it was the first MCU product to really hit since No Way Home/Hawkeye. Chukwudi Iduji was phenomenal as the High Evolutionary and I loved that the final confrontation is a one-sided battle where he gets stomped into the dirt. Rocket's storyline was incredible and I cried a whole bunch, I wish there had been more Cosmo and Will Poulter was fab as Adam Warlock but it felt like they'd set up him in GotG2 and then completely changed plans for this movie and had to find a way to push him in because his role in the story was really extraneous.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Everything having to do with Adam Warlock in this movie was confusing to me. I had no idea what the gently caress was happening with that guy at all.

How so? I thought it was pretty straightforward, even if he was kind of tacked on.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

There was an incredible joke near the beginning of the film with one of High Evolutionary's minions sliding a footstool into his path so he could step onto it in order to look someone in the eye, and I wish Gunn had continued with that kind of angle for him.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

It fits together more once you remember that he was 'hatched' early, and has the mind of a child. Which is why he is also kind of confused by everything happening and just gets shuffled from scene to scene

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Gavok posted:

How so? I thought it was pretty straightforward, even if he was kind of tacked on.

As a non comic reader, I had no idea what his deal was and forgot he was born or anything. I also didn't watch the holiday special

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

He wasn’t in the holiday special.

Also this excerpt from the negative newYork post review sums up why I love it

New York post posted:

Gunn’s preferred aesthetic is stomach-churning. Orgocorp’s spaceship lair, the Orgoscope, is pulsing, living tissue that looks like a harvested organ. On-screen offal. Henchmen wear lumpy, pink, intestine-like bodysuits. And many of the baddies give off a distinct “Beneath the Planet of the Apes” mutant vibe. The animal-human hybrids are warped, too. A giant, menacing warrior pig talks like Dora the Explorer.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
For all the hype the "loving" has received, Gamora ripping off the High Evolutionary's face and then showing his half exposed skull was pretty shocking.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Positive/negative bits of the movie aside (for me it was the perfect GOTG finale) i's kind of amazing that they made a 200 million dollar movie where the central character is a CGI racoon.

Baron von der Loon
Feb 12, 2009

Awesome!
My first impression after having seen this was relief at having a trilogy of sci-fi films(albeit with some additional stuff on the side with the Avengers and the Christmas Special) that are just really good from start to finish.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Best hallway fight in the entire MCU.

I was surprised that Cosmo is explicitly a girl dog in the MCU. During the Holiday special, her pronouns didn't really come up. And the voicebix isn't necessary indicative if that.

I really liked that movie and the MCU iteration of the Guardians in general. But the characters fail to meet the incredibly high standards from the 2021 video game. That was just a masterpiece in characterization.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
My god I am a sucker because this movie destroyed me from start to finish. Absolutely loved it. My favorite of the trilogy and easily one of the best MCU movies overall.

Just a perfect comic book romp that balanced some pretty twisted poo poo with typical GOTG humor and it worked really well.

The animal cruelty immediately sent me into emotional wreck mode and the movie just kept hitting me again and again and didnt let up till the end. The softy in me got got real good.

Really loved the High Evolutionary. I dont need overly complex villains with sympathetic backgrounds. I want scene chewing assholes who make me hate them.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

AccountSupervisor posted:

Really loved the High Evolutionary. I dont need overly complex villains with sympathetic backgrounds. I want scene chewing assholes who make me hate them.

Quill murdered that scientist in cold blood but he was basically a Nazi so gently caress im.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
James Gunns been a vegetarian since the 80s and is a pretty big animal rights guy iirc and it really came through in this movie given the mostly vicious treatment of the goons and henchmen.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
The animal rights stuff really worked but then the canon fodder at the end was mostly experimented on animals.

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
I cried so much the person next to me offered me a tissue.

Will watch again for sure, and in Imax cause it's so big and pretty

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

the trailer that played right before the movie started for me was The Marvels, and it looks hideous.

i avoided any news or hype about GoTG3, so all the small cameos was a good surprise for me.

Didn't expect to see Sylvester Stallone. And Yondu

Again gonna be interesting to see how they work in Starlord in future stuff since he's earth-based now

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

live with fruit posted:

The animal rights stuff really worked but then the canon fodder at the end was mostly experimented on animals.

The end credit kinda dealt with that in a funny way.

“Don’t you feel bad for them?”
“Yeah. But that towns not gonna protect themselves.”

No way to deal with the murder monsters other than violence

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

live with fruit posted:

I must have missed this part I just thought they were in another rando place

live with fruit posted:

For all the hype the "loving" has received, Gamora ripping off the High Evolutionary's face and then showing his half exposed skull was pretty shocking.

yeah that was a hard pg-13 right there

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Drax but less self awareness

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I wonder if the script changed significantly between Gunn's firing and now. I could see a version where Adam had a bigger role when Gunn was likely going to keep making movies for the MCU for a while, but then that whole fiasco happened and priorities changed to wrapping up the Guardians. So Adam's role was minimized, but couldn't be removed entirely since he had been a credits stinger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure

Alan Smithee posted:

I must have missed this part I just thought they were in another rando place

I think they’re referring to the animal-machines that invaded Knowhere in the climax not the credits scene. Definitely felt like the Guardians’ stance on killing people fluctuated fairly wildly throughout the movie—definitely intentional but didn’t feel as coherent as I’d have liked.