Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
I mean it's okay to write for babies but at least Goodnight Moon has some pathos, you know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I really think it's not meant to be Quill being (entirely) stupid, it's Quill being heartbroken, traumatised and faced with a legitimately terrible situation that's overwhelming him, and there's not really a 'correct' way to handle it. There's kind of a point in that most everyone seeing it is cringing but not unsympathetic- especially because of all of them being very intimately familiar with grief and the awkwardness of sci-fi weirdness.

Mantis I feel like needed a few more takes on some of her key lines, but I feel like she's supposed to be in an awkward teenager state- she's used to having to be such a doormat doing what she's told, and ironically it's because she's comfortable around the Guardians as her found family that she's able to express her anger, frustration, and desires for independence more.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

porfiria posted:

This movie was trash even by MCU standards. I turned it off after the Mantis Girl had some completely unmotivated rant about Chris Pratt's uncle or something that I'm sure will pay off in hour three. These movies are straight up written for babies at this point. And like Pratt had Zoey Saldana had such great chemistry before, I really care about that relationship, lol.

No way, you're completely off base here. I really think you should give the movie another try and have a more open mind about it. Maybe my standards are just low after how much of a disaster phase 4 was, but I don't think so, this really was a very good MCU movie.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

I said come in! posted:

No way, you're completely off base here. I really think you should give the movie another try and have a more open mind about it. Maybe my standards are just low after how much of a disaster phase 4 was, but I don't think so, this really was a very good MCU movie.

I watch these more for the director than the characters, so I kinda get their review. I thought it was alright, and I guess yeah, in the shadow of other recent MCU it's way more competent for sure.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Finally watched this last night, solo after a long day at work and a few hours of photo editing.

Jesus Christ. Rocket's story absolutely wrecked me. It's almost like an exercise in 'how weird can things be that you'll still tear up about them', and you bet I bawled like a baby at him meeting Lylla in limbo and her telling him "... but not yet." Right from the first flashback you can obviously tell something extremely heartbreaking was going to go down, and I'm a sucker for that poo poo. Especially right now with some poo poo going on in my life, that line "It's so nice to have friends" hit me like a freight train every time. Good job, writers and voice actors and animators, for delivering the weirdest tears I've ever cried.

The camerawork was stunning too. I can't really remember much of the first two movies but I feel like these long stitched-together moving shots of the Guardians wrecking legions of bad guys has fast become Gunn's signature, and they certainly are effective.

Plot wise it was silly as hell in a way only a Guardians movie can be, but I thought even it ran out of steam a bit in the final act. Starlord's not-death was kind of unnecessary and the whole rescue felt like a downhill after that emotional peak with Rocket's story arc.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I really think it's not meant to be Quill being (entirely) stupid, it's Quill being heartbroken, traumatised and faced with a legitimately terrible situation that's overwhelming him, and there's not really a 'correct' way to handle it. There's kind of a point in that most everyone seeing it is cringing but not unsympathetic- especially because of all of them being very intimately familiar with grief and the awkwardness of sci-fi weirdness.

Mantis I feel like needed a few more takes on some of her key lines, but I feel like she's supposed to be in an awkward teenager state- she's used to having to be such a doormat doing what she's told, and ironically it's because she's comfortable around the Guardians as her found family that she's able to express her anger, frustration, and desires for independence more.

It is worth pointing out that we see real, actual examples of his behavior in people dealing with folks with severe brain injuries. Oh no, my family member totally recognizes me even though 90% of their brain has leaked out their ears from head trauma.

His case is even worse because it is a person who is dead, but also right in front of you. Logically you know they don't remember, but they are standing right there, so how could they not? If a person dies being sacrificed to a magic rock only to come back to life through a convoluted time travel situation, who is to say that their memories don't reappear some day.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Boris Galerkin posted:

But Counter Earth seemed like it was always a stopgap until he did something better. He knew the life he created for that planet weren’t “perfect”, and he even knew that whatever species all the kids (which happened to be all white and all girls for some reason?) he created were wasn’t perfect either because their genius came from rote memorization vs being intuitive like Rocket’s.

yeah everything for HE is a stopgap because he is chasing a perfected ideal that always evolves in his head. he gets lucky once with rocket and the others but because he is so obssed with some utopian space aryan poo poo, he fucks them over.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

yeah, pete has been through a loving lot over the years, like we first see him after getting beat up and his mom dying infront of him, then he basicaly becomes a space punk and when he finally does find a happy new family(after killing his father) his gf gets murdered by her hosed up malthusian step dad and pete fucks up because he has a realistic emotional break down. now he is living with all of that plus his gf comes back but she isnt who she was.

FilthyImp posted:

I watched it this afternoon and really enjoyed it.

* HE'S brain basically breaking when he makes something smarter than him is such a loving dark and scary moment. There's also a ton of ambiguity about it suggesting that Rocket himself was kind of special, since HE couldn't just wire up another animal's brain the same way. Real NATURE/Nurture stuff that I liked.

honestly thats why he is probably my favorite villian of all the marvel poo poo.

Medullah posted:

Yeah I went in expecting Drax to die. Bautista said he was done with the franchise so I was prepped to have some eye water.

I was not prepared to bawl my eyes out at a rabbit and otter dying. That poo poo wrecked me, animals dying in movies always ruins me.

yeah, you know its coming but they do it very well by making the scene loud and horrifically chaotic. like she gets shot and teeth and floor are just freaking the gently caress out and rocket is just screaming and HE is just gigling like a dickhead and then he gets his face torn off and shooting and etc.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Pretty much the point of the High Evolutionary is that he doesn't respect or see value in anything in front of him except as a tool for his use. He likes Earth culture and aesthetics superficially but doesn't try to use his wealth and technology to help Earth or even just study it close enough to understand its problems and how his replica could improve on them besides hard-wiring some anti-prejudice genes or whatever. He just copies the whole thing and wonders why it has the same problem. When his mad science has created a genuine genius who provides key tangible assistance to his project, he just sees it as another resource to be used and everything else to be a mistake from projects he's already bored of.

Caros posted:

It is worth pointing out that we see real, actual examples of his behavior in people dealing with folks with severe brain injuries. Oh no, my family member totally recognizes me even though 90% of their brain has leaked out their ears from head trauma.

His case is even worse because it is a person who is dead, but also right in front of you. Logically you know they don't remember, but they are standing right there, so how could they not? If a person dies being sacrificed to a magic rock only to come back to life through a convoluted time travel situation, who is to say that their memories don't reappear some day.

Yyyep. And thing is, he's not exactly wrong, but has it the wrong way around; Gamora is more or less the same person she was when he met her, or right before, and thus has the same personality traits, experiences and ideas that led to the two of them falling in love in the first place... back when they were where and when, and who they were, of course. And while Quill starts to figure out how to accept the situation for its bittersweet reality, Gamora also starts to accept he's not lying or delusional, and see what her other self got to see in him, even if she doesn't, and can't, feel the same way.

Bittersweet truths in general seems to be quite a central theme, the characters coming to term with all kinds of things about themselves for good, bad and weird. And it's definitely the kind of thing you do to definitely end an arc and give a sendoff to characters, where their further adventures may or may not be shown on screen.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Pretty much the point of the High Evolutionary is that he doesn't respect or see value in anything in front of him except as a tool for his use. He likes Earth culture and aesthetics superficially but doesn't try to use his wealth and technology to help Earth or even just study it close enough to understand its problems and how his replica could improve on them besides hard-wiring some anti-prejudice genes or whatever. He just copies the whole thing and wonders why it has the same problem. When his mad science has created a genuine genius who provides key tangible assistance to his project, he just sees it as another resource to be used and everything else to be a mistake from projects he's already bored of.

Yyyep. And thing is, he's not exactly wrong, but has it the wrong way around; Gamora is more or less the same person she was when he met her, or right before, and thus has the same personality traits, experiences and ideas that led to the two of them falling in love in the first place... back when they were where and when, and who they were, of course. And while Quill starts to figure out how to accept the situation for its bittersweet reality, Gamora also starts to accept he's not lying or delusional, and see what her other self got to see in him, even if she doesn't, and can't, feel the same way.

Bittersweet truths in general seems to be quite a central theme, the characters coming to term with all kinds of things about themselves for good, bad and weird. And it's definitely the kind of thing you do to definitely end an arc and give a sendoff to characters, where their further adventures may or may not be shown on screen.

The thing with Old Gamora was that she'd maybe always been secretly longing for a real family ever since Thanos killed hers. She found one with Peter and the other Guardians. But while New Gamora can understand that and even see why the other version of herself fell for this footloose Earthling and his pelvic sorcery, she's already found her family in the Ravagers and isn't going to trade them in for Peter and the Guardians.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
I just watched this and all the Rocket backstory stuff absolutely wrecked me :qq:
It's in a wildly different tone but I'd like to see a We3 adaptation now, yes I'm ready to have my heart completely shredded by an animal movie

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Shredded like the military guys sent after them, which would be wild to see but I'm dead certain a suit is going to want to tone parts like that all the way down.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Gnome de plume posted:

Shredded like the military guys sent after them, which would be wild to see but I'm dead certain a suit is going to want to tone parts like that all the way down.

Oh yeah, you'd hit a brick wall with suits deadset on kids movie with merchandisable animal mascots.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Flesh Forge posted:

I just watched this and all the Rocket backstory stuff absolutely wrecked me :qq:
It's in a wildly different tone but I'd like to see a We3 adaptation now, yes I'm ready to have my heart completely shredded by an animal movie

Yeah I immediately thought of We3 watching it, enough so that I did some googling when I got home and yep, to no surprise I found that Gunn has been trying to get the rights to an adaptation for 10 years

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Flesh Forge posted:

Go watch the 1978 Watership Down but don't complain if you drown in your own tears.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Drunken note that this movie is just begging for fanart of The Walk To Arlong Park but with the Guardians. Those of you who know, you drat well know.

Substitute Peter's Zune for Luffy's hat.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Aug 3, 2023

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
I can understand why Quill is going through some poo poo. He got snapped immediately after learning Gamora was dead, and then next thing he knows he’s fighting Thanos again and there’s another Gamora. It broke his brain.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Also Chris Pratt is desperate to be thought of as an actual actor. If anyone would like to see him slamming into his limits, the last few minutes of 'The Terminal List's' first episode is a pretty funny illustration.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Just realised that Cosmo is voiced by the lady that Rudy Guiliani tried to gently caress when he thought she was underage.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

So, Rocket isn't going to kill the High Evolutionary, he's just gonna leave him mortally wounded on an exploding spaceship.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Quote-Unquote posted:

Just realised that Cosmo is voiced by the lady that Rudy Guiliani tried to gently caress when he thought she was underage.

https://twitter.com/dril/status/549814258012528641?s=20

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Alhazred posted:

So, Rocket isn't going to kill the High Evolutionary, he's just gonna leave him mortally wounded on an exploding spaceship.

You would say it was less a trap on the High Evolutionary's part and more of a faceoff.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Alhazred posted:

There's a blink-and-you'd-miss-it shot of Drax carrying THE to safety - well, 'safety' - during the evacuation. According to Gunn, he's now a full-time resident in Knowhere's prison.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Darth Walrus posted:

There's a blink-and-you'd-miss-it shot of Drax carrying THE to safety - well, 'safety' - during the evacuation. According to Gunn, he's now a full-time resident in Knowhere's prison.
"Miss it," is right, I figured he was toast.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
It's a pretty brilliant take on the not killing the villain trope, because it will be an endless reminder to THE that Rocket Racoon is BETTER than him. Smarter, stronger, and kinder in every way that matters. That'll drive him NUTS.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

I'm not sure that the High Evolutionary's self-conception is built around how kind he is. Doesn't seem like something he values in himself, given his behavior.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Sir Kodiak posted:

I'm not sure that the High Evolutionary's self-conception is built around how kind he is. Doesn't seem like something he values in himself, given his behavior.

Fair enough, but he's still going to have to live with the fact that Rocket soundly beat him. He can't get out of it by getting killed, he'll just have to live with half a face and none of his goals achieved.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

So the idea is that it would have been kinder to let the High Evolutionary die? Being killed lets him "get out of it," so imprisonment is a fate worse than death?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Sir Kodiak posted:

So the idea is that it would have been kinder to let the High Evolutionary die? Being killed lets him "get out of it," so imprisonment is a fate worse than death?

No, Rocket's better because he didn't succumb to revenge and focused on a more constructive path, but from the Evolutionary's perspective he'll have to live with being beaten for his entire life. For most sane people that wouldn't be that big a deal, they'd be able to get over it, but he's not the type of guy that can do that. I may be explaining my thoughts poorly.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

I don't see how Drax saving the High Evolutionary speaks to Rocket not succumbing to revenge. Like, I agree Rocket chose a more constructive path what with saving the other animals, but he wasn't the one who decided to not leave the High Evolutionary to die.

And the question of whether it would have been kinder to let the High Evolutionary die would seem independent from whether it's more emotionally healthy for Rocket or Drax to not seek revenge. Given who he is, he's either better off alive or not.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Rocket himself just doesn’t want to kill the evil guy he would rather punish him. It’s not mercy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T33-wHJKkWM

Let the bitch rot imo knowing that Rocket beat him and didn’t kill him.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Yeah, the idea that this is the better revenge—the High Evolutionary, like his victims, a mutilated animal in a bare metal cage—makes more sense to me than it being an example of someone forgoing revenge. Which fits with the MCU, what with T'Challa's mercy in Black Panther being allowing Killmonger to die. Though I'm not sure if that was supposed to be Drax's intention when he rescued him.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

CelticPredator posted:

Rocket himself just doesn’t want to kill the evil guy he would rather punish him. It’s not mercy.

The “I won’t kill him because I’m a Guardian of the Galaxy,” slightly undermines that, as if he’s an agent of moral authority who can’t stoop to that. Compulsory superhero poo poo.

But I prefer this reading. That he refuses to kill him because that’d provide closure, while life in prison where he’s just some irrelevant disfigured rear end in a top hat is a years-long nightmare.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Xealot posted:

The “I won’t kill him because I’m a Guardian of the Galaxy,” slightly undermines that, as if he’s an agent of moral authority who can’t stoop to that. Compulsory superhero poo poo.

Is that a line in the movie? Been a bit since I saw it. Then, yeah, that would seem to undercut that perspective.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Sir Kodiak posted:

Is that a line in the movie? Been a bit since I saw it. Then, yeah, that would seem to undercut that perspective.

I’m pretty sure he says something along those lines, but now I’m doubting it.

Any version of events where the point is that Rocket is so above him, his death isn’t even a priority feels right, though. It reminds me of the end of Angel where Lindsey has turned Angel into some white whale obsession, to him they’re arch-nemeses, but randomly it’s Lorne who shoots and kills him. “You’re just a flunkie!” He’s denied this place of symbolic importance in death, and thus totally invalidated.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Snowman_McK posted:

Also Chris Pratt is desperate to be thought of as an actual actor. If anyone would like to see him slamming into his limits, the last few minutes of 'The Terminal List's' first episode is a pretty funny illustration.

i dont think he is bad, he is just like keanu reeves where he is very good in some roles but loving awful in others. pratt is solid/good being the funny everyman or the sorta dickhead with a heart of gold. he isnt good at much else. he is awful as a serious action hero. he can pull off angry serious poo poo in spurts, like the various scenes in gurdians, but not THAT kinda of angry serious poo poo like some clancy show.

Xealot posted:

usually i loving hate that poo poo(wonder woman had the worst example in my opinion and why the ending of deadpool is great for me) but like in this it worked. HE is hosed, the ships gonna blow in any second and he has been shot like five times and stabbed and his suits busted and i wouldnt be shocked if gamora hit his spine so i doubt he is walking out. Rocket didnt need to do poo poo, he doesnt need to stoop to that level and blow his brains out with a space pistol. guys done and if he some how lives, he is ruined. there is no happy ending for reddit athiest man.

Darth Walrus posted:

Huh. lol i am ok with that.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Aug 6, 2023

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

NomChompsky posted:

Cosmo is a Good Dog. :mad:

:hai:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Love how as well as the weird losers hypercompetent at their fields, mostly violence, you have their B team of weird losers barely competent at their fields, and no less heroic for it when they step up because all hands are on deck.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
Hearing that Gunn made Cosmo a female dog as a tribute to Laika, which also emphasised the movie's themes on animal testing in the name of scientific progress, made me pretty emotional.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Love how as well as the weird losers hypercompetent at their fields, mostly violence, you have their B team of weird losers barely competent at their fields, and no less heroic for it when they step up because all hands are on deck.

yeah, it makes sense though. if i were some interdemtional star lord team captain. id probably have a couple teams in reserve and switch people out for different missions and poo poo so everyone gets expirence. Like hero mercenary pokemon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 27 days!)

I enjoyed Chris Pratt in Passengers (2016) and Tomorrow War.

he shouldn't do voice acting