Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

GateOfD posted:

I enjoyed Chris Pratt in Passengers (2016) and Tomorrow War.

I refuse to believe anyone enjoyed any aspect of Tomorrow War.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Chris Pratt was really good as emmet from lego movie

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

CelticPredator posted:

Chris Pratt was really good as emmet from lego movie

The Lego movie played to his strengths (well, the strengths of the whole cast) really well. It's an excellent movie. Unfortunately Pratt learned the wrong lesson

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Honestly his whole thing died the moment he took Jurassic world. He was still a goofy guy in guardians, serious enough to give a different side but still playing to his strengths.

Owen Grady is a wretched boring rear end in a top hat of a character that I don’t know if anyone could’ve played well. Maybe Danny McBride idk lol

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
When he's introduced as this cocky rear end in a top hat who's sure he's right, you're looking forward to him getting taken down a notch. Then he's right the entire time and really good at everything and never has to grow or look at himself critically.

goddam Jurassic World is just generally such an absolute piece of poo poo.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Snowman_McK posted:

When he's introduced as this cocky rear end in a top hat who's sure he's right, you're looking forward to him getting taken down a notch. Then he's right the entire time and really good at everything and never has to grow or look at himself critically.

goddam Jurassic World is just generally such an absolute piece of poo poo.

Don't forget this scene

Like, "Yeah! That'll show that... innocent woman who was trying to look after her boss's nephews."

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Everyone posted:

Don't forget this scene

Like, "Yeah! That'll show that... innocent woman who was trying to look after her boss's nephews."

Apparently the actress requested to have an especially gruesome death scene, which, fair enough, but you still think you could give the audience some reason to not recoil in horror.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 27 days!)

was it a thing that they dip their food in water to wash them before eating or something

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Everyone posted:

Don't forget this scene

ohhhhh this is not a youtube channel i want in my watch history

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.

1stGear posted:

ohhhhh this is not a youtube channel i want in my watch history

Yeah getting some pretty wild recommendations now :lol:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I know exactly what that channel is by the reaction and I ain’t goin near that poo poo lmao

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
Yeah that scene felt really mean, like we were meant to laugh and hoot and slap our knees as she screamed and spent far too long being tossed around drowned and eaten. I was definitely :wtf: the first time I watched it.

And I'm usually in the "can't wait for all these chars to get killed" camp*. That just seemed so malicious and purposeful it was jarring.

*any movie any genre :black101:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The movie is "family friendly" insofar as there's no blood, only one f-bomb, and of course, the hero refuses to execute the villain after gleefully killing a bunch of mooks who don't constitute marketable IP.

I don't have any sharp criticisms besides Adam Warlock. I like his character in the comics; didn't really enjoy this version at all. There was nothing to like besides the prog rock joke.

"Rocket Teefs Floor go now" is on track to be my new favourite thing to wake up screaming.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Aug 8, 2023

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

BRJurgis posted:

Yeah that scene felt really mean, like we were meant to laugh and hoot and slap our knees as she screamed and spent far too long being tossed around drowned and eaten. I was definitely :wtf: the first time I watched it.

And I'm usually in the "can't wait for all these chars to get killed" camp*. That just seemed so malicious and purposeful it was jarring.

*any movie any genre :black101:

The scene also feels like it was written so that the character is getting some kind of karmic payback. But it begs the question of "karmic payback for what?" IIRC correctly, the executive lady charges the woman (who is apparently her assistant/flunky/minion) to look after the nephews and try to show them a good time. The nephews "escape" from the assistant who pretty much disappears from the movie until that scene comes.

It'd be like if they did another Punisher movie but decided not to bother showing or even mentioning the death of his wife and child at the hands and guns of. oh, let's say the Mafia. Like we're watching this and no one addresses that we're apparently supposed to be cheering on this skull-shirted whackadoo who likes to murder people who enjoy Italian cuisine for some reason.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Jurassic World is a meta-movie about violent spectacle. The assistant's job was to keep the kid's safe, so her sin was to symbolically stand in the way of all the dino-violence we, the audience, came to see. The older brother, the primary audience surrogate—who chafed at the restrictions placed on him, resented being taken to a petting zoo, etc.—is shocked when his desire for excitement is nightmarishly realized and the gruesomeness of her death helps place the audience in his perspective. The problem is more that the movie doesn't really follow up on this line of thought as the focus increasingly shifts to Chris Pratt. Chris Pratt's character being a manchild who doesn't change would be fine if we saw the older brother come to that realization, but instead the movie just starts identifying him for no good reason other than it being the normal blockbuster thing to do.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
JW2 is the only good JW film

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
GotG vol 3 is so boring that the characters in-film literally get bored with being Guardians and give up to do other cool poo poo with cool people. Also I dunno what the deal with Disney and kid soldiers in Phase 5 or whatever it is now, but after Love and Thunder and now this its really weird.

Chukwudi Iwuji would've made a far better Kang :colbert:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Chris Pratt being in JW at least set up the joke in the Lego Movie sequel.

Also kinda funny that his shiny cowboy gun apparently is actually entirely practical in that environment, the nickel coating keeps it from rusting in the tropical environment.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I'm not sure that I've read Adam Warlock's exact origin story in the comics but he's not a blathering idiot mama's boy when we first meet him, right?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Adam's backstory is kinda complicated because he was a fairly obscure villain who was then repurposed as a very different character. He first appeared as a godlike being known only as HIM!!! in Fantastic Four before he became known as Adam Warlock.

His whole deal was that he was created in a space lab by evil mad scientists, so he never had a childhood or a family, and had to learn concepts like morality on his own. The first thing is did was destroy his creators to protect the universe from them, and the second thing he did was try to abduct Sif and force her to be his mate, in a warped attempt at a "normal" life. (Thor made him realize the error of his ways by beating the poo poo out of him.)

A few years later, Roy Thomas had been wanting to do a story about an acid hippie space messiah, so he plucked HIM!!! from obscurity. That's the point where the High Evolutionary found him, named him Warlock, gave him the Soul Gem, and sent him to save his wayward creations on Counter-Earth.

All the Infinity War stuff in the MCU has been Not For Me ever since it became apparent that they were going to do them without Adam Warlock or the Silver Surfer. Actually, I recommend tracking down Warlock and the Infinity Watch #1. Besides being beautifully illustrated, Adam's life story is laid down in a few pages by a hostile narrator. Who knew that Eternity was such a petty jerk!

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Aug 14, 2023

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Halloween Jack posted:

Adam's backstory is kinda complicated because he was a fairly obscure villain who was then repurposed as a very different character. He first appeared as a godlike being known only as HIM!!! in Fantastic Four before he became known as Adam Warlock.

His whole deal was that he was created in a space lab by evil mad scientists, so he never had a childhood or a family, and had to learn concepts like morality on his own. The first thing is did was destroy his creators to protect the universe from them, and the second thing he did was try to abduct Sif and force her to be his mate, in a warped attempt at a "normal" life. (Thor made him realize the error of his ways by beating the poo poo out of him.)

A few years later, Roy Thomas had been wanting to do a story about an acid hippie space messiah, so he plucked HIM!!! from obscurity. That's the point where the High Evolutionary found him, named him Warlock, gave him the Soul Gem, and sent him to save his wayward creations on Counter-Earth.

All the Infinity War stuff in the MCU has been Not For Me ever since it became apparent that they were going to do them without Adam Warlock or the Silver Surfer. Actually, I recommend tracking down Warlock and the Infinity Watch #1. Besides being beautifully illustrated, Adam's life story is laid down in a few pages by a hostile narrator. Who knew that Eternity was such a petty jerk!

Yeah, reading the Infinity War stories blew my mind compared to what I saw in the MCU.
I thought the Universal Church of Truth related stories were pretty fun to read but I feel like that's also going over the line for what the MCU is willing to do after seeing their take on Infinity War.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Everyone posted:

Don't forget this scene

those movies are always weirdly mean, but then again as hosed up as my sense of humor is, i never found Giant monster killing randos funny. it makes me weirdly annoyed that in that those worlds, the companies wernt sued to oblivion by survivors and next of kin. like the first movie is scary as is 2. but the new ones are just marvel except meaner. idk its weirds.

Vampire Panties posted:

GotG vol 3 is so boring that the characters in-film literally get bored with being Guardians and give up to do other cool poo poo with cool people. Also I dunno what the deal with Disney and kid soldiers in Phase 5 or whatever it is now, but after Love and Thunder and now this its really weird.

Chukwudi Iwuji would've made a far better Kang :colbert:

I liked the movie alot but i sorta of agree. its very clear that david batista is kinda phonning it it a bit here as are some of the others. also agree about that too.

Halloween Jack posted:

also sorta unrealted by sorta like how original starlord was just Space flashman who slowly becomes less of a prick in his earliest incarnation. the one before the movies was basicaly just space commander who was kinda of a smart rear end but mostly smart and tactical. i kinda like both movie and the rpg video games versions more.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I feel like that Jurassic World scene started with “Let’s have sea dinosaur eat air dinosaur” and they worked backwards from there.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Unrelatedly, this movie is now on Disney Plus so I got around to watching it. It’s a little choppy and I agree that parts of the script needed a punch up or that they needed a different take or at least some fix in the edit room. But overall it’s irreverent and not too self serious and there’s a lot of fun choreography and music. The best parts were the animals and the worst parts were the animal abuse.

On Pom Klementioff, I think her jokes here are kinda tricky to land — they often walk the line between nice, naive and nasty — and that she deserves a lot more credit than she’s getting.

She’s having a great year. If you haven’t seen the latest MI, you should. She hams it up in a very different role.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

CelticPredator posted:

He just liked earth when he visited

Which was apparently in the 1950s in the USA. And the HE presents as a black human male.

So it's sort of this scene from Lethal Weapon 2 except played straight.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Vegetable posted:

I feel like that Jurassic World scene started with “Let’s have sea dinosaur eat air dinosaur” and they worked backwards from there.

They were originally going to have Zara be a huge jerk that consistently hates the kids and then get eaten while ditching them, but even after rewriting the character the actress was like no way I still want my awesome death scene.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The scene was funny but it could’ve been more fun and less mean in hindsight even though that’s why it makes me laugh.

It’s the water dunking that does it. If they just skipped that it would’ve been less of a hot button

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Hot take but I never minded the scene. Like, yes by ‘movie rules’ she didn’t ‘deserve’ that death, but I always felt like that was the point. These dinosaurs do not care who does or does not ‘deserve’ a gruesome death and they will brutally devour you without a second thought.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

OldSenileGuy posted:

Hot take but I never minded the scene. Like, yes by ‘movie rules’ she didn’t ‘deserve’ that death, but I always felt like that was the point. These dinosaurs do not care who does or does not ‘deserve’ a gruesome death and they will brutally devour you without a second thought.

Jurassic World is not a good movie, but the pearl-clutching over the assistant's death (which takes, like, five seconds) felt like people just looking for something to complain about, given that one of the bits that everyone loves in The Lost World is poor Eddie Carr getting tossed back and forth and ripped apart like a chew toy by the two Rexes.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Timby posted:

Jurassic World is not a good movie, but the pearl-clutching over the assistant's death (which takes, like, five seconds) felt like people just looking for something to complain about, given that one of the bits that everyone loves in The Lost World is poor Eddie Carr getting tossed back and forth and ripped apart like a chew toy by the two Rexes.

Eddie's death is supposed to be upsetting.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

Snowman_McK posted:

I refuse to believe anyone enjoyed any aspect of Tomorrow War.

I liked seeing Mitch from the Doughboys in it.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I’m shocked any of you remember a goddamn thing about Jurassic World

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

CharlestonJew posted:

I remember the dinosaur petting zoo and really liked it. Also that my wife got upset when one of the petting dinosaurs was picked up by a mean flying dinosaur. I reassured her that the cute one was definitely okay.

I also remember the film's strange use of the originals genuinely amazing music theme. It plays that sweeping, triumphant, awe filled theme as we pan around the reception of a theme park. It's actually kind of clever and I'd think a lot more of it if the film followed through on it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

CharlestonJew posted:

It was a super fun movie experience because I laughed hard through most of it for being so stupid and mean

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

Halloween Jack posted:

The movie is "family friendly" insofar as there's no blood, only one f-bomb,

Wait, wasn't everyone calling each other rear end in a top hat the whole movie? Maybe I imagined it but it sure felt that way.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Snowman_McK posted:

I also remember the film's strange use of the originals genuinely amazing music theme. It plays that sweeping, triumphant, awe filled theme as we pan around the reception of a theme park. It's actually kind of clever and I'd think a lot more of it if the film followed through on it.

If they had done the theme over the gift shop it would've been wonderful but probably too on the nose.

Jurassic World is a soulless retread sequel whose primary theme is that retread sequels are soulless commodifications that are doomed to turn memories into mere tchotchkes. It is so bad it ascends to pointless forgettable mediocrity.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Its entire theme of Capitalism and Nostalgia are Bad would've landed a hell of a lot more without that reverent visit to the old park.

The old park was bad. That's the loving point of the movie. Jesus loving Christ.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I remember it having a blue tint for some reason.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I remember watching Jurassic World and thinking "Why would they do this again, the amount of chaos and death should mean people are smart enough to not do it"

But then 2020 hit and my general impression of people dropped significantly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

LividLiquid posted:

Its entire theme of Capitalism and Nostalgia are Bad would've landed a hell of a lot more without that reverent visit to the old park.

The old park was bad. That's the loving point of the movie. Jesus loving Christ.

See, they wanted to have their cake and eat it too. Someone should've turned to the hipster constantly reminiscing about the old park and reminded him that it never opened and everyone died.

If anything, Jurassic World doesn't say a functioning park would never work. It says a functioning park would loving rule until people ruin it by changing things. It took the newfangled cgi hybridsaurus rex using its fake movie powers to cause a breakout, rather than being the natural endpoint of how Jurassic Park would work. If anything, the movie is too reverent of the Original, while also completely missing the point.

Its an entire trilogy made by people who apologize for letting the T-Rex die in 3.