Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

1stGear posted:

I wonder if the script changed significantly between Gunn's firing and now. I could see a version where Adam had a bigger role when Gunn was likely going to keep making movies for the MCU for a while, but then that whole fiasco happened and priorities changed to wrapping up the Guardians. So Adam's role was minimized, but couldn't be removed entirely since he had been a credits stinger.

no doubt there were hundreds of bits rewritten, but iirc Gunn has said he wanted a trilogy even before he was fired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

1stGear posted:

I wonder if the script changed significantly between Gunn's firing and now. I could see a version where Adam had a bigger role when Gunn was likely going to keep making movies for the MCU for a while, but then that whole fiasco happened and priorities changed to wrapping up the Guardians. So Adam's role was minimized, but couldn't be removed entirely since he had been a credits stinger.

Felt like Black Widow in Iron Man 2 or Spider-Man in Captain America 3.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I thought this was nowhere near as good as the first two but still better than most recent MCU output.

Between this and some of Strange 2 I feel like the bar to get a 12a rating must have significantly dropped in recent years. If I'd seen this as a pre-teen all of the animal body horror would have traumatised me.

Speaking of ratings I don't get why they chose that particular moment to use their f-bomb. It felt super throwaway, and there were loads of points where it would've been more impactful.

stev fucked around with this message at 20:35 on May 6, 2023

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That’s the joke of it.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I was thinking about seeing this this weekend but after hearing about the part with Rocket's origin story I think I might wait for streaming so I can stop it or skip ahead or something if I need to

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer
When a movie has an Adrian Belew
joke, then you know the movie truly has everything.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Adrianics posted:

Future of the franchise: Star-Lord is, I guess, guaranteed to return in some form but I have pretty significant doubts as to how he would work on his own without the rest of the characters.

My hot take is that this puts him more-or-less in the same spot his comics self was at the beginning of Annihilation, the event series that eventually saw the creation of the "Modern" Guardians lineup, where he's been out of the game for a while but some poo poo went down and there's a dire need for good fighters.

That being said, I'd absolutely prefer if this was "it" for every major character going forward

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
I really really loved this, which wasn't a given since I didn't care for most of the second one.

High Evoultionary was a goddamn bastard and I loved having a MCU villian who was easy to just hate, even if it was fairly route.

As for Adam Warlock , I love him being kind of a doofus, but I also don't like Warlock in the comics much, so this was far more entertaining to me. I especially liked him bonding with the fuzzy little guy

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I do hope they do more with Adam Warlock going forward since there is a lot of potential there

High Evolutionary was a great villain and the rest of the cast was firing on all cylinders so I’m pleased with how it ended. I do agree with a previous poster that the whole ‘well I guess we need to part ways’ thing was very clunky. Also apparently the girl at the end is supposed to be Phyla-Vell aka Quasar.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

As for Adam Warlock , I love him being kind of a doofus, but I also don't like Warlock in the comics much, so this was far more entertaining to me. I especially liked him bonding with the fuzzy little guy

Same. One of my low-key favorite things about how the MCU played out is that Warlock showed up after all the Thanos stuff had wrapped up.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
I liked how, for as much at the High Evolutionary considered himself superior to everyone, he basically failed at everything he tried throughout the whole movie. Aside from the Adam Warlock attack at the start, most the time the team was more in danger because of their own fuckups than anything he did. By the time he actually confronted Rocket at the end of the movie, he had basically already lost everything.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Rhonne posted:

I liked how, for as much at the High Evolutionary considered himself superior to everyone, he basically failed at everything he tried throughout the whole movie. Aside from the Adam Warlock attack at the start, most the time the team was more in danger because of their own fuckups than anything he did. By the time he actually confronted Rocket at the end of the movie, he had basically already lost everything.

I just saw this today and the cute bunny rabbit with the robot spider legs is going to live in my nightmares for quite some time to come. Also, I now really want to get a baby raccoon as a pet. Meanwhile Pom Klementieff is still adorably demented as Mantis.

eliotlucas
Aug 6, 2006

I was heartbroken when Lila is killed and Rocket lets out this grief-stricken wail. 😭

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Thought it was really good but that ending scene in the desert was a huge :wtf: given everything that movie was about. rocket cocking the gun and charging toward the horde of wild creatures?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
went in almost completely blind, saw one trailer with drax throwing the ball at the kid and knew it had rocket backstory, beyond that, nada.

had a fantastic time. absolutely a mess of a movie, but a really fun and also heartwrenching mess all the same. didn't expect rocket's backstory to be the primary focus of the movie, it was by far the best part. I know none of his crew could be allowed to live for the sake of the story, but I kinda wish one of them made it out somehow unbeknownst to him and made their way in life on their own somewhere, rather than him being a lone survivor. I really liked how Quill's relationship with Gamora was another major element of the movie, and how she just absolutely was not having any of it for the majority of it. And that at the end, she absolutely was like "yeah, I can see how I'd fall for this guy." but didn't, because she's not that gamora, and has her own family elsewhere.

The High Evolutionary was just magnificent, for some reason he made me think of Tim Curry, just absolutely going 110% at all times, ham or not. I really appreciate this return lately to villains who are just Absolute Bastards, No Question. If they have a sad backstory, they're clearly shown to have squandered the meaning and become unforgivable monsters instead, and so you get to just enjoy them getting beclowned without any regret. One of my least favorite parts of the movie was the bridge coup, you had people who all knew exactly how powerful he was, and could have shot him in the back of the dome before he reacted, but instead held a pistol to a guy who apparently had Kang the Conqueror-style nebulous telekinetic powers and let him do...anything instead of sucker punching him. But it obviously had to happen for Rocket to get his boss battle curbstomping. I loved that not only was this Rocket's movie, but it was also Rocket Raccoon's movie. I genuinely didn't think they'd end the "I'm not a raccoon!" gag so decisively, but I'm glad they did.

just a great time of a movie. Maybe a teensy bit too long, cut like 20 minutes of it I think, but otherwise, great! I think I like Guardians 1 and 2 more, but this still was way better than like 90% of the MCU. An excellent sendoff for the crew, even if some of the goodbyes were a bit arbitrary or hackneyed, but I liked them overall.

CelticPredator posted:

He wasn’t in the holiday special.

Also this excerpt from the negative newYork post review sums up why I love it
I have no idea who that reviewer is but I can guarantee you they are a million years old if their immediate reference point is something from 1970 rather than literally anything this half of the last century. like if it was star wars or something, but a bad planet of the apes sequel? for real dude?

huge "king bowser reminds me of [some turtle puppet from a lovely kids show from 1968]" that one reviewer who is a Literal Dinosaur made

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

smug n stuff posted:

I think they’re referring to the animal-machines that invaded Knowhere in the climax not the credits scene. Definitely felt like the Guardians’ stance on killing people fluctuated fairly wildly throughout the movie—definitely intentional but didn’t feel as coherent as I’d have liked.

i think it kinda depends on who it is. like they won't just beat a novacorpesmans head in but they will gently caress up a pirate or space nazi.

eliotlucas posted:

I was heartbroken when Lila is killed and Rocket lets out this grief-stricken wail. 😭

yeah i figured she and the rest would die but but i was hoping she would make it. but NOPE. least fuckface got hosed badly.

Rhonne posted:

yeah, i liked that at the end of the day, he was basicaly just some smart dude who crack pinged hard on his own bullshit and got jealous that one of his own creations was smarter then he was and he starts spiraling over that more. I like how he slowly keeps losing his "objectivity" and any real sense of "i am doing this to make better place" and he just keeps chasing the dragon and burning poo poo when his expirements fail. i like that he basicaly old testament god meets reddit athiest.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Captain Invictus posted:

The High Evolutionary was just magnificent, for some reason he made me think of Tim Curry, just absolutely going 110% at all times, ham or not. I really appreciate this return lately to villains who are just Absolute Bastards, No Question. If they have a sad backstory, they're clearly shown to have squandered the meaning and become unforgivable monsters instead, and so you get to just enjoy them getting beclowned without any regret. One of my least favorite parts of the movie was the bridge coup, you had people who all knew exactly how powerful he was, and could have shot him in the back of the dome before he reacted, but instead held a pistol to a guy who apparently had Kang the Conqueror-style nebulous telekinetic powers and let him do...anything instead of sucker punching him. But it obviously had to happen for Rocket to get his boss battle curbstomping. I loved that not only was this Rocket's movie, but it was also Rocket Raccoon's movie. I genuinely didn't think they'd end the "I'm not a raccoon!" gag so decisively, but I'm glad they did.

ehh i liked that. it works when you realize he was just some dickhead, he was some little man who maybe at one point tried to do noble stuff but he became a psychotic obessive weirdo obssed with perfection at the expense of everything. then he gets hosed up and becomes even more hosed up. but at the end of the day, he is just some dickhead nerd in a super suit or some poo poo.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

really enjoyed the detail at the end with Groot: no one reacts to the "I love you guys" because that wasn't him speaking normally, that's us the audience finally hearing what they do instead of just "I am groot"

also a large part of this movie is Gunn reminding you that, yes he made Slither and he'll loving make it again if he has to.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I somehow missed every single trailer for this movie, so I had no idea it was coming out already. I enjoyed it a lot, with a few minor quibbles.

Rocket's been my favorite MCU character since his introduction, so I'm glad he got the focus here. I was a little worried how they'd handle Peter (and Gamora), especially with that opening scene, but I really liked how they handled things. My two biggest worries going in blind were that they'd just "Replace" Gamora as though nothing had happened, or that Peter would just be useless with grief for huge chunks of the movie. I'm glad the writers respected the alternate Gamora as her own person, and while Peter was understandably distraught and in denial, it didn't interfere too much with this ability to get things done, and in the end they part ways amicably with both of them understanding each other a little better.

Also, it's a little thing, but I appreciate the only two times Nebula really gets emotional are both tied to Rocket. They had five years as partners, just the two of them. They don't get to interact a whole lot in this movie thanks to Rocket being under, but I'm glad they acknowledged she's a little more invested in him than she is the others.

The High Evolutionary was a pretty solid villain. Dude was evil and loving it in a way I could get into. Big fan of this recent trend where the bad guys get to see their plans thwarted before the final battle as a little emotional justice before they get defeated. That said, Rocket sparing him didn't quite sit right with me (nor for that matter Rocket at the end with the herd of whatevers). There are ways they could've spun it I'm sure, but after carving their way through all his mooks, they're just gonna spare him? I appreciate he wasn't exactly sitting pretty with his face torn off, stabbed in the stomach, left behind to die in the explosion, but it's framed like Rocket showing him mercy when really killing him would probably be the merciful option by that point. I get Rocket not being governed by his anger and resentment anymore, but it kinda felt like they were fumbling for the keys. Likewise, at the end, couldn't they at least have made the rampaging monsters...I dunno, bigger? It's not directly in opposition with the themes of the movie, but it's a little awkward.

The only thing I really didn't like was Mantis erasing Drax's memory after she'd hurt his feelings. I actually thought she and Nebula were going to have to confront how they'd been treating him, but instead they handwave it away as a joke. It felt a little manipulative, especially after drawing attention to it earlier. Drax in general kinda stumbles in this movie, though that's not Bautista's fault. The writers just don't seem to know what to do with him. His presence definitely provides a certain something in the background, but as an active participant he's kinda the fifth wheel. The conclusion to his story was definitely unwieldy, but it's over now, he's happy, time to peace out.

Anyway, I'm satisfied. It's a good place to end things, one-two-three.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Dapper_Swindler posted:

ehh i liked that. it works when you realize he was just some dickhead, he was some little man who maybe at one point tried to do noble stuff but he became a psychotic obessive weirdo obssed with perfection at the expense of everything. then he gets hosed up and becomes even more hosed up. but at the end of the day, he is just some dickhead nerd in a super suit or some poo poo.
I did like when his cronies turned on him, though I kinda wish they coulda just shot him and that would've been the end of it. After Quantummania the gravity-loving super suit that is impossibly strong until it isn't makes me tired.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Babe Magnet posted:

really enjoyed the detail at the end with Groot: no one reacts to the "I love you guys" because that wasn't him speaking normally, that's us the audience finally hearing what they do instead of just "I am groot"

also a large part of this movie is Gunn reminding you that, yes he made Slither and he'll loving make it again if he has to.

I’m pretty positive grant grant’s house is at the end.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Captain Invictus posted:

I have no idea who that reviewer is but I can guarantee you they are a million years old if their immediate reference point is something from 1970 rather than literally anything this half of the last century. like if it was star wars or something, but a bad planet of the apes sequel? for real dude?

My brain has gone wrong reading this but isn't 1970 literally from this half of the last century? Thats like anything after 1950?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

CelticPredator posted:

Also this excerpt from the negative newYork post review sums up why I love it

All that off the wall weirdness was what I thought we were going to get from Quantumania and I'm glad this actually delivered on it. I guess that's the difference in giving 200m to the guy that directed Yes Man and Bring it On vs giving it to a Troma guy :lol:

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
I'm sure there was also a lot less meddling and mandates to the final act of a high grossing trilogy that connects to nothing else as opposed to the Kang kick-off.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

The CGI was much better here. They just hosed up every possible way with Ant Man.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
Something about this movie that really did it for me was the practical sets and costumes - everything looked loving great, which was in stark contrast to Quantumania which was 90% green screen and looked like complete poo poo.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
All the monster suits gave the CGI team a lot more time with the fur babies.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
If I had a nickel for every 2023 film I’ve seen that starred Chris Pratt, and had “No Sleep Till Brooklyn” on its soundtrack I would have two nickels.
Which isn’t a lot, but it’s weird it’s happened twice.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'd felt Nebula and Mantis were pretty underdeveloped compared to the original five, I'm glad they got a lot more focus in this one.

The practical suits looked pretty goofy and pretty sure that's 100% on purpose, kinda selling the whole uncanny and ridiculous constructed world of Counter-Earth. Heh, I remember that from Spider-Man Unlimited. And for a setting we see pretty briefly before it gets completely blown up it says a lot about its nature and who built it- it seems not particularly subtle that the High Evolutionary is basically a eugenicist obsessed with physical evolution with absolutely no thought to social evolution and how a being exists in the world around it. Because he's basically a sociopath CEO with near unlimited resources, absolutely no one to tell him 'no', as a result no concept of social skills or empathy and no actual coherent endgoal besides monuments to his own ego. Basically Elon Musk, Henry Ford or a petrostate failson with the ability to construct entire planets and species.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

Liked it a lot. Adam Warlock definitely steals the show; The High Evolutionary was okay, but he felt more like a low-rent Kang at this point. Gunn went apeshit on the "OH NO THIS CHARACTER IS IN PERIL AND THE MUSIC IS SWELLING THIS MIGHT REALLY BE IT GUYS" button throughout, it's like the dude is Pixar for the MCU.

One thing that bugged me, was there any reason given why Peter didn't have his usual load-out of gear? Because it would've trivialized something at the end, and I know they wanted a story beat there, but it bugs me when the writer throws in something nonsensical just to force a payoff later (like those stupid guns in Looper). It's not like it wouldn't make sense in the story, I'm just wondering if it was mentioned somewhere and I missed it.

kazmeyer fucked around with this message at 19:29 on May 7, 2023

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I know they have fancy high tech medipacks but can you really recover from your head ballooning in the vacuum of space like that? Surely his skull would be hosed.

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

kazmeyer posted:

One thing that bugged me, was there any reason given why Peter didn't have his usual load-out of gear?

oh poo poo....

I'll have to keep an eye out for that on rewatch. That's a really good question.

edit:
He appears to have his usual load-out in the scenes from Thor: Love and Thunder. He never uses it.

The new uniforms they wear on counter-earth don't include his rocket boots or helmet.

I guess when he lost the long jacket to go with the new uniform, he lost the accessories.

StrugglingHoneybun fucked around with this message at 20:17 on May 7, 2023

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I don't remember any mention of it at all

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

I’d assume the reason is Chris Pratt’s agent wants his gorgeous face on screen at all times.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Wouldn't surprise me if there's a deleted scene that explains it, but even if not, it'd only really annoy me if he had them during the movie and then didn't use them in that scene. Not reminding us they exist was a perfectly acceptable way of having that moment in the flick from a cinematic and story mechanics standpoint.

But yeah, there's still a part of me that wants to know why for silly canon reasons.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

I mean, it's not a deal-breaker given where he is in the beginning of the story that he wouldn't be rocking the same iconic gear the whole time, or maybe left stuff behind because they were in such a rush, or couldn't take them into where they were going in the end, or something. I'm just wondering if it was addressed in some throwaway fashion and I missed it.

It's just weird that every other time we see him he's got the boots and the helmet, that's his thing, and then here, they don't show up at all. It just bugs me when they go "I need X to happen at the end of the movie so I'm going to force Y here whether it makes sense or not and hope nobody notices."

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’m rewatching gotg 2 tonight but I think the helmet was destroyed? I could be wrong.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

He had it in Avengers

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

CelticPredator posted:

I’m rewatching gotg 2 tonight but I think the helmet was destroyed? I could be wrong.

He’s wearing it when he shows up in the “Portals” scene in Endgame, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Phylodox posted:

He’s wearing it when he shows up in the “Portals” scene in Endgame, though.

He spent part of the movie drunk off his rear end. Maybe he just forgot because destroyed brain cells?