Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Baron von der Loon posted:

My first impression after having seen this was relief at having a trilogy of sci-fi films(albeit with some additional stuff on the side with the Avengers and the Christmas Special) that are just really good from start to finish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

cant cook creole bream posted:

Best hallway fight in the entire MCU.

I was surprised that Cosmo is explicitly a girl dog in the MCU. During the Holiday special, her pronouns didn't really come up. And the voicebix isn't necessary indicative if that.

I really liked that movie and the MCU iteration of the Guardians in general. But the characters fail to meet the incredibly high standards from the 2021 video game. That was just a masterpiece in characterization.

didnt they keep on calling her "good boy"? Maybe I'm remembering wrong.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Everyone posted:

I didn't see that as played for laughs so much as indicating the "This time it's personal" for the Guardians. They're desperately trying to save Rocket and they're utterly furious at what was done to him by the H.E. and his minions.

Yeah it was an exclamation point on how Raccoon's family was horrified and insanely outraged at what happened to him. The whole film is full of moments that hit so hard because you see characters not emoting about themselves, but each other.

Another near-cry moment for me was when Nebula broke down after hearing that Raccoon was ok.

The team has never been fiercer or more savage than this movie, because it was about saving one of their own.

This movie has really stuck with me.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Ende up watching a Pitch Meeting about GotG2 and the way it ends lmao i love it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K59-iTpAfQ0

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Bill Brasky posted:

First use of Spacehog in a space movie that I can recall.

Yeah I was kinda blown away by the 90s and 80s alternative (and one rap) songs in a GotG movie. It's great. And I guess it means that its now classic rock to zoomers.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Everyone posted:

I dunno. While Peter can't access "the light" or the Ego magic superpowers, he's still has that half-Celestial toughness which allowed him to survive in space for a while in the first GotG movie. Him surviving again wasn't too much of a stretch.

I just started laughing thinking about his hilarious lollipop head

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Speaking of Star Lord this movie went out of its way to make his character competent and interesting. Star Lord has never been this dynamic, hosed up, or just fun to watch before.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Mantis42 posted:

Another example of how clunky a lot of the plot is the way the Guardians end up on Counter Earth and just sort of land their ship down the street from his base and half of them go to the base and the other half stay at the ship to protect Rocket and then have the ones at the ship go to the base anyways. It's played as a joke or whatever but it's just so weird, like why bring Rocket there at all, why does the villain only send one pig to the ship to get him if this was his big trap, why does he blow up the planet if he's still waiting on the pig to come back with Rocket etc etc. Maybe it comes off as a "tactical realism" sort of critique but really, this felt weird while watching the movie, like Gunn wanted his characters to be in a certain place but didn't bother to write a second draft or whatever, none of the other movies have this issue.

Ultimately you and I have different barometers for clunkiness as I also keep most of my focus on the writing when watching a movie, but my concern is whether characterization, arcs, and payoffs are handled well or not and GotG 3 did that in spades. Every major character had a shining moment, every major character had an arc with a beginning and end, and payoffs were hit expertly with little to no fat on the bone plotwise. Yeah I suppose we could have spent more time justifying why Drax left the ship but otoh it led to Gamora fighting on her own to save someone she doesn't know just based on a burgeoning sense of empathy. When plot is elided in favor of moments of characterization, I really don't mind.

E: when is spoilers over for this movie btw? It used to be after the opening weekend I think.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Away all Goats posted:

I love the bit of HE getting so upset that Rocket might be smarter than him that he augments his body to be able to manipulate gravity, only to be outsmarted again by Rocket with a flick of switch in the final fight. HE invents and creates out of spite and anger. Things are not perfect, I will make it better. Rocket invents and creates out of curiosity and to help others(Nebula's upgrades, Knowhere's improvements). Probably the best marvel movie since No Way Home for me(and that is aided by a lot of nostalgia and fanservice)

Haha I didn't even realize what was going on there. Another goddamn payoff

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

One of the Gold people is the dude from Fatscaoe which was cool.

Excellent sci fi saga crossover

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Remulak posted:

The first 30-40 min of gotg3 is probably the tightest editing I’ve ever seen. So much happening all cut together coherently with not a single millisecond to spare. Gets sloppy after this but goddamn this is Marcia Lucas level editing.

Also Adam Warlock’s mom is a working actress I’ve seen before in a tiny role but she was great.

She is really good on the apple show Station Eleven

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

smug n stuff posted:

apologies if this is :thejoke: but Station Eleven is on HBO and Elizabeth Debicki is not in it.
She is getting to be a ~star~ elsewhere, though, she plays Diana on Netflix's The Crown and had pretty big roles in Tenet and Widows.

I was thinking of Caitlin Fitzgerald. As far as the apple thing tho no idea where I go that lol

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Everyone posted:

We only see hints of the process along with the end results but that's basically what the HE did to Rocket and the other animals, except he also put a bunch of metal in them too.

Did you have that sex torture stuff ready to go

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

robot roll call posted:

she has that good DBZ villain arc where they go from powerful adversary to reluctant ally to full-on part of the group. I agree that she probably is the best executed character in the mcu

Her breaking down when she found out Rocket was alive was a real emotional moment for me. Such good acting.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Yeah Yakub owns

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/joke-battles/images/f/fa/Yakub.png/revision/latest?cb=20181004025543

This guy built white people...IN A LAB

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

It's a dead head of a Celestial, a nigh ultra powerful God like alien race that has popped up in quick references in other Marvel movies, like in the first Guardian where one uses the Power Stone (forget what it was called then) to blow up a planet and in Eternals we find out a baby Celestial was cacooning in the center of Earth and whose birth would destroy it.

Eh it's a lot more interesting written out than on the screen lol

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

The concept of multiverses is the binding glue for Phase 4 prob but it only covers like half the movies and one TV show

It also covers most of the only movies and TV shows I liked, MoM, No Way Home, and Loki

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

My question would be, what did you guys like about it? I couldn't find anything in there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Away all Goats posted:

The restraint to not use any slow motion so a speedster could actually look fast was nice

LesterGroans posted:

I didn't like the movie, but I did appreciate that they let Ma Dong-seok slap a CGI thing. I'd watch him smack the poo poo out of anything.

Can't disagree with this. Yeah good moments. Still a dire movie around imo tho.