Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
Child Shelters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Child Shelter

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
Oh man, this game! Love this game!

One of the few base-building games that I've actually completed, and won at.

Child Labour, but only because I can never bring myself to do it when I play by myself.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
Never used child labour in main scenario, but it's very helpful in Refugees scenario, where about half of your starting population are children.

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

So far polls are showing:
Child Shelters 7
Safe Child Labour 3
Soup 3
Fighting Arenas 2

Leaving it open one more day, though it looks pretty locked in already!

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
Corpse Disposal

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
One more for Child Shelters

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

Yet another for Child Shelters

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

Captain's Log, Day Two
With the most pressing concerns of survival addressed, we have had a chance to define where we want to go from here as a people.

The overwhelming majority of the vote was to keep the children away from the sort of dangerous labour many of them saw in London's factories. Though one day we may have them apprentice under our skilled engineers, for now I have been given three days to construct a shelter for them.

Not everybody is fully convinced, but hope has risen that our future will be brighter for this.

With that future still in mind, I order the construction of a workshop. Here, our brightest minds will work tirelessly to ensure not only our survival, but the survival of all of humanity.

This took up almost all of the wood that had been gathered overnight. The workers enjoy a well-earned rest, though morning comes all too quickly for all of us.

Spirits are as high as can be expected, given the circumstances. Not too long after the official start of the work day, the workshop is up and running. I am given a list of all the technologies our engineers can research right away, divided into the categories of Heating, Exploration & Industry, Resources, and Food, Health & Shelter. They are also able to conceptualize future areas of study, though we will need more advanced machines to develop those.

We can extend and improve our heating infrastructure with Steam Hubs and Heaters. A steam hub provides another zone of heat, similar to the generator and identical in heating level, around it. A heater, on the other hand, can be activated inside any building and will raise its heat by another level beyond what it may have already received from a nearby generator or steam hub.

In order to facilitate any sort of exploration at all we need a Beacon. The lands beyond our Pit - somebody, I don't remember who, dubbed them the Frostlands, a name which has stuck - are trackless and featureless, and we have no means of long-distance communication with a scout team that will be constantly on the move. Furthermore, because of the recessed geometry of our home, we can't even see what's happening right next door to us without making the strenuous climb back up top. The Beacon will remedy all of these issues at once.

Faster Gathering will help us get all of our scattered resources organized as soon as possible. Once they have been taken care of we will have to look into new ways of collecting coal, wood and steel.

We could also improve the output of our hunters from 15 units of raw food per day, to 20. As we can then turn those into double the amount of edible rations, this is an effective improvement of ten extra mouths fed daily. I order the team to begin looking into ways to streamline and optimize our gathering, as Fast Gathering will be more effective the sooner it is instituted.

The Generator hums with reassuring warmth, but we shouldn't take it for granted. If the Generator goes down, the city dies. Be mindful of Coal reserves.
Now, food - there'll be no city if we starve to death. Secure a way to provide Raw Food and build a Cookhouse to prepare meals.

We have a good amount of coal stockpiled, with several piles about the Pit that we haven't even begun to touch yet. Now that we are no longer in danger of freezing to death, we need to replace the raw food, which has already been mostly converted to rations.

Sir, a woman came forward after we built the Workshop. She said that her husband and daughter didn't reach the city with the main group, but she's sure they're still out there. She wants to join the first scout team we'll send out.
She urges you to hurry.

I am reminded that the members of our expedition consist not only of the eighty safe here in the city, but also those who stayed behind with our dreadnought. Further incentive to make sure we have more than enough food to go around!

To that end, I order a hunter's hut to be built the moment enough wood has been gathered.

Not too long after work began on it, the engineers laid out their plan for how we can maximize the efficiency of our gathering. This will go a long way to making sure we never run out of coal, and always have enough wood on hand to build what we need. I order the researchers to look into a Beacon next.

Once the hunter's hut is complete, I assign a team of fifteen to gather food every night. Working primarily with traps and snares, the hunters will be out from 1800 to 0600 every night, bringing home their catch in the morning for the cooks to work on during the day. The animals that have survived out in the Frostlands are hardy and tough, and so will we need to be.

With basic resources secured for now, we can try to rescue the people we left behind.
Build a Beacon, scout Frostland and save as many survivors from our expedition as possible. You'll need a workshop to design plans for more advanced buildings.

Now that we are sure we will have food, it is time to start working towards bringing the lost members of our expedition home. The designs can not be completed fast enough, so I order a second workshop to be built.

Before the research or the workshop are complete, however, I get the news that it is already time for another vote. Although I haven't yet built the child shelter, the law is signed, and therefore we have two new options for the voters tonight:

Medic Apprentices and Engineer Apprentices will give children who are already in a shelter the opportunity to assist and learn from the engineers who are employed in the medical or research fields, respectively. The extra set of hands helping out will increase either the efficiency in whichever area we choose, but we can only choose one. If we do pick either of these laws, it will take 36 hours before we can sign another.

What will be the third law of our new home?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Engineer Apprentices. Nerds are always useful.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Philippe posted:

Engineer Apprentices. Nerds are always useful.

ChaosStar0
Apr 6, 2021

Soups we need to extend our food supplies so that we will be able to last.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I'll go with Soup to stretch out our food supply for now.

Mechanics: The nice thing about soup is that it's one of the very few laws whose effects you can effectively undo once you don't need it anymore (you can switch between soup and regular rations depending on how short on food you are)

Also, secondary unrelated mechanics (spoilered to not be backseating, not because it's plot related. I figured people playing along at home might be interested): 1) Hunter's huts don't need to be heated. The idea is that your hunters are out there in the cold hunting most of the time, so you can just stick it out in the boonies and leave more room for things that actually need heating. 2) You don't need to keep the generator on during the day until it gets cold enough that you need to heat up workplaces. The heat in homes only matters once the workday is over. You can also get a lot of 'free' heat by overdriving your generator from ~10pm to 6am every night

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Engineering Apprentices Somehow I think we will need more research than healing.

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

my dad posted:

Also, secondary unrelated mechanics (spoilered to not be backseating, not because it's plot related. I figured people playing along at home might be interested): 1) Hunter's huts don't need to be heated. The idea is that your hunters are out there in the cold hunting most of the time, so you can just stick it out in the boonies and leave more room for things that actually need heating. 2) You don't need to keep the generator on during the day until it gets cold enough that you need to heat up workplaces. The heat in homes only matters once the workday is over. You can also get a lot of 'free' heat by overdriving your generator from ~10pm to 6am every night
Yeah, I'm playing with an eye to efficiency but also not going out of my way to be as grognardly efficient as possible. I also won't be shifting hunters back and forth between workplaces every morning and evening. This scenario is just set to normal difficulty, so I figure I can just show things off in a normal way without having to worry too much.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

habituallyred posted:

Engineering Apprentices Somehow I think we will need more research than healing.

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
Soups, get us some soups.

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0iIE172kPk

Turn them into Feed the creepy kids soup!

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Engineering

The faster you research things, the better you can support your economy.

Soup doesn't save you that much food and it raises discontent. research speed helps us particularly early on when we need to get ahead.

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

Currently 5-4 for Engineering Apprentices. I'll give it another twelve or so hours, if anybody wants to try to push for Soup.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
I'll vote Engineering Apprentices to widen the lead.

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

Captain's Log, Day Three
Although it was by a narrower margin than usual, the majority of our people voted to put our children through engineering apprenticeship.

Once the shelter is built, they will assist in the workshops, which is sure to benefit not only our research efficiency but also our future. Perhaps the next generation will be able to figure out the cause of this sudden change to our climate, and even fix it.

Many people wanted to sign a law that would extend our food supplies instead, but nobody is complaining that our children will now be helping out in a healthy and safe manner.

The second workshop is finished. In a stroke of genius the engineers designed an extension to connect them together, letting them function as a single large workplace rather than two separate ones! Any future workshops we add can continue to be connected together in this modular fashion.

The work day begins not too long after the workshop is ready to go. Spirits are fairly high, in a grimly resolute sort of way.

The doubling of our research power means the plans for the Beacon are finalized quickly. As our food income is still somewhat precarious I order better gear for the hunters to be designed.

We have enough construction materials that we are able to draft the construction of both the Beacon and our child shelter right away. As the Beacon will not be manned it can be placed further away from the Generator, while the shelter will be close to the workshops so as to let the new lab assistants easily go back and forth.

With equipment adapted for the snow our hunters will be able to bring back more food every night. I am reminded that the temperature is forecasted to drop tomorrow, and so I make steam hubs our next priority. After that we will need to look into ways to access resources that aren't in conveniently accessible piles for us to pick up off the ground.

The Child Shelter is ready and the children are safe inside. People can work without worrying that something will happen to their kids.

We're no longer lost and blind!
From now on our people will be able to survey the icy barrens that surround us: Frostland.

With both the shelter and the Beacon finally ready, hope has risen among the populace tonight.

A lookout platform, lighthouse, and signal tower all in one, the Beacon is held aloft by an enormous canvas balloon inflated by hot air pumped in from the Generator. It is a welcome sight for snow-weary eyes, a symbol that we are not huddled in a Pit to await our death, but that we are going to endure here.

Numerous tents. We can see people moving about. They must be the lost members of our expedition.

This peculiar building must be the Arctic Observatory the Royal Society built to investigate the eternal winter. There's smoke over it.

We finally have our first view of Frostland. The icy plains are not as featureless and empty as we had feared - we can see that not only have the separated members of our expedition survived and set up camp as they await rescue, but there are signs of other human life not too far away from us!

In order to assemble a scouting party we will need a lot of wood for sleds and gear. I order another emergency shift at the gathering post, so we can get an expedition underway as soon as possible. There is grumbling among the team who is losing their night's rest, but they understand the need.

People cheer as the giant observation balloon soars above the city. This is a real feat, everyone feels proud of the work they've done to make it happen.
Volunteers have lined up, eager to go looking for our lost people in Frostland. The woman who came forward earlier is among them.

At least volunteers are in no short supply. Almost everybody stayed up to watch the launch, and spirits are as high as I have seen them since before we departed London!

A bit before 0500, I am roused from my slumber with the bad news.

One of our people died suddenly during an Emergency Shift. We don't know what happened, but it's likely it was a heart attack.

John Aynesworth, one of the workers on the 24 hour shift, suddenly collapsed and could not be roused. A soft-spoken and hard-working man, he was well-regarded by all who knew him, though he often preferred to keep to himself. He leaves behind no family, nobody to collect his body. Now we are seventy-nine.

Alhough it pains me to give the order, we do not yet have enough wood stockpiled, and after giving the team some time to compose themselves I wake another worker to replace Aynesworth. We must make sacrifices to survive.

One of our people has just died. Sickness, accidents and deadly cold will keep claiming lives in this harsh world.
We need a way to dispose of the body.

The body is being kept out of sight for now, but we have no means for proper disposal. The longer we go without a place for the dead, the more likely it is that the living will become sick from the vapours of decomposition.

We have ensured his sacrifice was not for nothing. We are able to equip our first scouting party, and they set out to rescue our lost expedition members before dawn.

The news spreads rapidly through the camp the following morning. We are no stranger to death by now, but it is sobering to have had our first loss at our new home.

As if in response to the sudden tragedy, the temperature plummets to -40. Everywhere is chilly now but the cookhouse is hit particularly hard, and our cooks will not be able to get any raw food prepared until it is warmer in there. The weather is predicted to rise slightly in a couple of days, but the steam hub will be installed before then.

For the first time our children are headed to the shelter, and from there, to the workshops. Another day begins, and with it, it is time for another vote. As the latest law did not lead to any more options, these are the available options:

What will our next law be?

Remalle fucked around with this message at 17:37 on May 11, 2023

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

I figure it's Soup time.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Cemetery Heating up the entire pit might be our future, better not risk a frozen pile.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Cemetary

We can't just leave a body decomposing - it will hit morale and spread disease.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

cemetary

The followup for corpse disposal is...very special, but i don't think we need it.

rbakervv
Apr 1, 2008

For the Emperor!!
Cemetary

If sacrifices must be made, at least we can respect those sacrifices.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
Although I don't think decomposition will be a problem in -40 Celsius, our man deserves proper burial. Cemetary.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Yeah, cemetery. John was the first, but he won't be the last. It will be good to have a place to grieve our lost friends and family.

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
Cemetery for the dead.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

It's the apocalypse, if you don't bury your dead they're going to get up and eat your face. Cemetery.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

rbakervv posted:

If sacrifices must be made, at least we can respect those sacrifices.

:haibrower:

cemetary

ChaosStar0
Apr 6, 2021

Soups are what we need.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Why do I get the feeling that one of the options later in game combines the benefits of corpse disposal and soup?

Cemetary

ChaosStar0
Apr 6, 2021

CzarChasm posted:

Why do I get the feeling that one of the options later in game combines the benefits of corpse disposal and soup?

Cemetary

It's after an event chain requiring large amounts of starving people. I never got it before so I never knew it existed.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Cemetary

I'd prefer we start making soup, but, y'know, feels lovely to not burry the dead guy first.

ChaosStar0 posted:

It's after an event chain requiring large amounts of starving people. I never got it before so I never knew it existed.

There's another policy you can adopt, which funnily enough, doesn't require having a single dead person for you to receive the benefits of it, but is explicitly about repurposing dead people

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

Captain's Log, Day Four
With the death of John Aynesworth fresh on everybody's minds, it was a near-unanimous decision to build a resting place for our dead.

There is a strong sentiment around the camp that this was the right thing to do.

I order the construction of another hunter's hut, next to the first. As with the workshops, the two buildings will be connected together.

The bitter cold is impacting the people working outside of the generator's range worst, so the announcement that we can now extend that range through steam hubs is very welcome. We are running through wood as soon as it's being gathered, and we will soon exhaust the piles, so I get the researchers looking into a way to harvest the frozen trees all over the place next. Speaking of the cold - the mercury in our thermometers has actually frozen solid!

This hub is placed in such a way that it will keep our children warm and bring the cookhouse back to functionality, while also giving warmth to the tents we will need to put up once our scouts bring back the rest of our people. The workshops run quite warm already and don't need the extra boost as badly, though the engineers tell me that they appreciate it all the same.

We just wanted to thank you. Back in London, it was only the wealthy that didn't have to send their kids to work. In this new world you're creating we can see things'll be different.

A so far quiet day is brightened by this anonymous note a parent dropped off at the shelter...

...and by the news that our scouting party has reached our wayward siblings.

We enter the camp, appearing out of the driving snow. A choir of excited voices welcomes us: "Thank God you found us! We had been wandering for days until we couldn't go on any longer. Soon we'd begin to starve." Children and adults surround us, packed and ready to go.

The scouts signal us that they have the rest of our people with them and are guiding them safely home. Four children, ten engineers and twenty-two workers will arrive in a few short hours.

We will need four more tents, though we don't have quite enough wood to designate them all at once. Annoyingly, the researchers don't manage to finalize the plans for our new sawmill, despite working a couple hours overtime.

This gathering post has run its course after that last marathon shift. I order it dismantled, which returns most but not all of the resources we originally used to build it. The wood is repurposed into another tent.

Not long after, our people return. We are reunited at last, 115 of us in total.

It's heartwarming to see families reunited after so many hardships. But shouldn't there be other settlements nearby? The first expeditions left London long ago. They ought to be well established by now. They'll surely help us find our footing.

Our people found a trail leading into the wilderness. We should follow it. We must find other people and ask them for help to secure our survival.

Amidst the jubilant reunions, one question in particular catches my ear - "What about the others?" In their wanderings our lost sheep apparently found evidence of other human activity. We know Site 157 was located not too far away from us, and was dispatched from London far earlier, so if they found any success at all we need to make locating our sister city a priority.

A bulky cylindrical construction stands on a small hill. The Union Jack flies over it, but there's no sign of movement.

Several wrecked vehicles. No signs of life. They are probably our machines. Let's hope so. We had to leave a number of supplies in them after the crash.

Our people gave the scouts two new locations of interest - a sturdy shelter that shows no signs of life, and also our original crash site. The scouts are sent back out into Frostland to salvage our broken dreadnought.

With all of the building and dismantling and other work there was to do today, the cemetery fell on the backburner - as soon as the gathering post is dismantled, I order the cemetery established on the same spot. It doesn't take much time to complete, and we will bury Mr. Aynesworth as soon as possible. At this time I note that between the cold working conditions of the past day and the poor health of our new arrivals, the number of sick is starting to be beyond our current capacity. Once there is enough wood for another medical post, our new engineers will be put on it right away.

With the cemetery promise fulfilled, it is time to take another vote, with one new option:

Ceremonial Funerals is a step beyond the simple burials we are currently performing, and will reduce the hopelessness caused by deaths even further. If we sign this, it will take 36 hours to sign another law, and it does not lead to any further choices.

What will our next law be?

Remalle fucked around with this message at 17:38 on May 11, 2023

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
Get some soups from the soup store.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Voting for Arenas

They're a way for our citizens to work off some steam, and better them working out on one another rather than us.

Soup is.. Not particularly useful so I'm not sure what exactly the strong interest in it is! It increases discontent and lowers hope each time you use it and doesn't spread out your rations that much. I never took it for the hits it gave to both.

I believe mechanically it lets you use like one piece of raw meat to make three rations. by the time you're at the point in the game where you need to stretch out your reserves the issue isn't food, it's more coal so you don't freeze to death

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Sick people you say? Time for sustain life

Veloxyll fucked around with this message at 00:01 on May 9, 2023