Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
I agree. Let's do soup.

It's pissing out there. I could do with some soup myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Arenas! People need entertainment, and bloodsport is the oldest form there is.

Also thank you for transcribing the text. I'm reading mostly on mobile, and it's hard to read.

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

Philippe posted:

Also thank you for transcribing the text. I'm reading mostly on mobile, and it's hard to read.
I'm trying to do it every time the text is particularly important but are there any other parts you'd like me to transcribe?

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Radical Treatment We have enough problems with medical capacity as it is.

Bliss Authority
Jul 6, 2011

I'm not saying it was witches

but it was witches

Fighting Pits so we can study the sweet science and one day have a decent public house.

Also, you think of "soup" and imagine a hearty stew. Think more "three sad cabbage leaves and a quarter of a turnup in a tureen."

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Arenas

Come on, it's the next step towards pubs and the restoration of civilization.

Also yeah the soup law soup is literally just as close as water as you can get without it being completely lacking in nutrition.

ChaosStar0
Apr 6, 2021

Soups

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Remalle posted:

I'm trying to do it every time the text is particularly important but are there any other parts you'd like me to transcribe?

As it is right now is perfect, thanks.

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

Philippe posted:

As it is right now is perfect, thanks.
Awesome, I really appreciate the feedback!

Time permitting, I'm aiming to get a post up later tonight. Polls are currently showing:
Fighting Arena 4
Soup 3
Sustain Life 1
Radical Treatment 1

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense
Soups

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Remalle posted:

Awesome, I really appreciate the feedback!

Time permitting, I'm aiming to get a post up later tonight. Polls are currently showing:
Fighting Arena 4 5
Soup 3
Sustain Life 1
Radical Treatment 1

The best techniques are passed on by the survivors

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
I've been convinced, the gentlemanly education provided by fighting arenas is a slightly higher priority than the need for warm liquids for now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDdSmzgwehY

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Fighting arenas, it's good, honest fun.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.

Neophyte posted:

I've been convinced, the gentlemanly education provided by fighting arenas is a slightly higher priority than the need for warm liquids for now.

Objection! You can't use that scene to affect the vote, because it was awesome!

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Neophyte posted:

discombobulate

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

Captain's Log, Day Five
To the disappointment of the perennial soup contingent, a law to establish a fighting arena has been enacted.

People have already started wagering small personal items and morsels of food in anticipation of the inaugural bout.

I am concerned about the number of injured we already have, though. A single medical post is no longer sufficient to meet the needs of our growing list of cases. Although we don't currently have the wood for a second tent, that issue will soon be solved...

...by the arrival of the plans for our sawmill, placed on my desk first thing in the morning. One of the engineers explains that the reason they couldn't finish up the design last night was a rogue uncrossed "t" - I'm not entirely sure whether she's joking.

Spirits are certainly high enough that jocularity isn't outside the realm of reason. Reuniting with our lost members has lead to the brightest morning in recent memory!

As soon as we have enough wood collected the first sawmill is placed. We need to consider the placement on these buildings carefully; too far away from the trees will mean they will need to be relocated more often, but too close and we risk damaging some of the wood.

Once the sawmill is online we do not have to wait long until we can afford to build another medical post. Scarce minutes after I have approved that construction, we get the report from our scouts that they have reached the site where our convoy was destroyed by the last storm.

There are plenty of priceless supplies in the wrecks of our expedition. Searching among the crates scattered in the snow behind the wrecks, we found the bodies. They're tangled together in a single frozen mass, as if these people were trying to find at least a bit of warmth just before they died. We can do nothing for them, not even bury them.

There is a good amount of salvageable raw food and wood amidst the wreckage. More disquieting are the remains of those from our expedition who stayed behind - or were left. Instead of bringing the supplies directly home I send the scouts on to the next point of interest, the shelter where our wandering sheep say they found somebody else's trail.

Our new fighting pit is complete, reducing the discontent of the people living near it. Though this one is a little far from the bulk of our residences, future ones will be built alongside new residences when we extend construction to the other side of the generator.

The morning after the first fight sees everybody in high spirits, some because of bets won, and most because the weather conditions have improved a bit.

At a balmy -30 degrees, this steam hub is no longer required to keep our new medical post active, and so it is turned off for the time being to save coal.

Our gathering posts have all finished gathering their assigned resource piles and are being dismantled. The wood is being repurposed into a third medical post.

The shelter is comfortable and well equipped with emergency supplies. There's a notice posted by the heavy round door: "To all scientists: If you use any supplies, remember to notify the quartermaster upon your return to the city." This means there's another city out there!
A signpost by the trail points in two directions: "London: 1934 miles, home: 27 miles."

The scouts have confirmed that there is another city out there, right about exactly where we estimated Site 157 to be. At least one other expedition was successful!

The trail goes over an elegant steel bridge that crosses a huge ravine. The bridge is remarkably snow free.

Although the scouts are laden with many valuable supplies it is imperative that we establish contact with the other city. They head down the trail, heading toward a bridge that serves as the only visible landmark. Even from far away they can clearly see it is both beautiful and pristine, signs that not only are people using and taking care of it regularly, but they have time and resources to spend on making it nice.

Dismantling the gathering posts gave us enough wood that the researchers were able to begin setting up drawing boards, necessary for more advanced research. When I asked why they need so much wood, they told me that bigger drawing boards will let them draw bigger buildings. Is this more scientist humour?

Once we have enough lumber milled we will set up another hunter's hut to give the former gatherers something to do, but before that, it is time for another vote. The latest law gave us access to two new ones:

Duelling Law will reduce discontent even further by legalizing duels. Unlike our current fights, these will sometimes be to the death. This leads to no further options and will delay the next law by 45 hours.
Public House is one that I've heard support for ever since day one. Once built and staffed our people will be less discontented and more hopeful overall. We could also sign Moonshine and House of Pleasure afterwards, even sooner with its short 18 hour cooldown.

What will our next law be?

Remalle fucked around with this message at 17:40 on May 11, 2023

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

PUBS

We're British, we need a pint down the pub.

Bliss Authority
Jul 6, 2011

I'm not saying it was witches

but it was witches

PUBS

a pint a day will do ya.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
We can hardly call ourselves a society without Pubs!

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
Pub it up.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Radical Treatment and lets hear about that steam hub those scouts were talking about.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

pubs

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
A meagre, vain vote for Soup here, fully understanding that we're getting pubs next. :v:

Unrelated game mechanics talk, slightly plot related but only in the sense of how the mechanic interacts with it: The game is both plot and time driven, but it's structured in segments. The next segment starts either when your expedition reaches the city mentioned, or at some point during day 15 iirc. If you are new to the game, you can give your settlement a bit of extra time to get the basics done by waiting until early day 15 (edit: specifically, before 8am) to actually explore the site. You can seriously gently caress yourself over and lose days you'll never recover by rushing that site by day 8 for example.

my dad fucked around with this message at 11:59 on May 10, 2023

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Beer is sorta a kind of soup, right?

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014
Pubs! Pubs! Pubs! Pubs! Pubs!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Rubix Squid posted:

Pubs! Pubs! Pubs! Pubs! Pubs!

No reason to really vote here lol

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

i like the scientists that tell jokes

give them beer

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
Hold on. Slow down, chaps. I know you're excited, but before we can have a traditional British pub we need some traditional British pub food to serve in it.

Food Additives.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
See, you type this, and I get concerned

remalle posted:

Although the scouts are laden with many valuable supplies it is imperative that we establish contact with the other city. They head down the trail, heading toward a bridge that serves as the only visible landmark. Even from far away they can clearly see it is both beautiful and pristine, signs that not only are people using and taking care of it regularly, but they have time and resources to spend on making it nice.

If it's the post apocalypse and you have time to maintain the appearance of things, and they are "pristine", that's suspicious AF.

Pub it up

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

CzarChasm posted:

See, you type this, and I get concerned

If it's the post apocalypse and you have time to maintain the appearance of things, and they are "pristine", that's suspicious AF.

Pub it up

Maybe it's the kind of apocalypse where the rest of the world is perfectly fine

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Pubs so we can spend the next few pages arguing about naming them

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Black Robe posted:

Pubs so we can spend the next few pages arguing about naming them

One of our settlers suggested "The Cool Place", whereupon he was banished from the village.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense
Pubs!

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
I'm all for pubs, but where's the alcohol going to come from? :thunk:

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Obvious Pubs

the majority of our populace is Victorian era British lower and middle classes. Why isn't beer our second greatest priority?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Bad news: beer brewing will take significantly longer in this cold cold world.
Good news: that can impart good flavour to the end product.

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

Captain's Log, Day Six
Well, there was no need to take a count - the moment polls opened you could probably hear the people chanting "Pubs, pubs, pubs!" all the way back in London.

We will... carefully consider the name of our establishment.

To ensure we will have enough wood for a new hunter's hut and the public house, as well as continued research, we have the lumberjacks working through the night. We will keep a careful eye on them and ensure that they do not overexert themselves. As long as we take appropriate precautions, the tragedy of Mr. Aynesworth will not repeat itself.

There are currently 115 people in our city. With each hunter's hut bringing back 20 units of raw food per day, which are in turn cooked into 40 rations, three huts ensures we will be feeding every mouth every night and have a few meals left over.

I've never seen the lads put any building up so fast. I haven't seen a single grain of wheat in over half a year but somehow we put together enough plant matter to make a proper stiff drink. It tastes like foraged vegetation sitting in meltwater, but what can you do?

A brass plaque on the bridge tower reads: "Built by the people of Winterhome in AD 1887." The bridge is kept completely snow free by a working automaton!

We stopped at the edge of a deep, wide ravine, marvelling at the steel bridge spanning it. Even more so at the huge automaton sweeping snow from the roadway. It would be possible to send the machine back to our city or disassemble it for resources.

Our scouts report that the people of "Winterhome" have an entire automaton dedicated solely to keeping this bridge clear of snow! One of the engineers, an expert on automata and self-proclaimed "rogue AI goddess," informs me that an automaton is capable of outputting the labour of an entire team of people and will not stop for food, sleep or disease. Even better, all of the building designs that we have can be easily adapted to allow an automaton to work them.

We reprogrammed the automaton and sent it on its way. As it disappeared in the distance, walking steadily towards our city, the first wisps of snow started to settle on the bridge.

Having such a sophisticated machine dedicated to sweeping snow off a bridge is such an extravagant allocation of resources that I feel the people of Winterhome will not begrudge us it. If they complain, well, we can always just put it back. Eventually.

A tall building with some peculiar devices on the roof. It's most likely a weather station set up by scientists from Winterhome.

Several vehicles and tents. We can see people moving between them and smoke rising from a campfire.

The trail continues to a weather station that we believe to have been set up by Winterhome. However, we can also see a convoy much like our own, with people moving around the stopped vehicles. The scouts are sent to make sure that these people are not stuck and in need of rescue like our own were.

Finding the Bridge to Winterhome proved that we're on the right track, but raised questions. Why was the bridge deserted? Why wasn't the automaton under the care of an engineer? There are logical explanations to it all, but... people are growing anxious.

It is a trifle strange that we haven't actually seen anyone from Winterhome on the trail yet. Perhaps the people from the convoy are an expedition dispatched from there, and can shed some light on the situation. I think being cooped up in this Pit is starting to wear on our nerves a bit, so I order more potatoes thrown in the still.

The potato spirits have raised ours. In the morning many of the workers head to their job sites with a renewed vigour, save the ones who are nursing the consequences of last night's revels. Winterhome awaits us, but first, a vote, with additional options:

House of Pleasure will allow us to... expand the staff of our new public house. This will lower discontent, at the cost of hope. Moonshine will expand our pub's production so every meal will include a drink, lowering discontent. If we were to start making soup we could pour the liquour directly in it, preventing some of the discontent caused by that law. Either of these options would cost us 36 hours and neither lead to any further choices.

It is once again time to vote.

Remalle fucked around with this message at 17:41 on May 11, 2023

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Moonshine has no negative effects, so let's go with that one. Our hope is pretty high, but who knows what'll happen later on.

Kacie
Nov 11, 2010

Imagining a Brave New World
Ramrod XTreme
Moonshine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014
Pubs need proper booze! Moonshine!