Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Seraphic Neoman posted:

Someone blew up the Generator didn't they.

If they haven't yet, they probably will.

Winterhome all over again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

The Personal Diary of Signalman E. Bourchier

NBD 32 (2nd Entry)

Many of our bunkhouses were in the middle of upgrades when the New Londoner refugees arrived, but there are enough vacancies from workers being sent to other settlements that we should be able to provide shelter for all of them once renovations are complete.

More immediately concerning is the number of ill - over half of the new arrivals will require treatment, which may necessitate the re-opening of medical posts to take some pressure off of our infirmary.
In the chaos of the arrival, the fact that New London re-opened their line was nearly missed.

Outpost 11, we heard some people from our city have reached you. What they tell you is mostly true. We lost some crops, had a food shortage, used sawdust, had labour shortages, then a Generator malfunction and... things got out of control. To prevent panic, we tried to cover up the scale of the crisis; that's why we didn't tell you.
We urgently need resources and people. Our relations weren't good recently, but please, can you help us? New London can't fall!

We need to think about it

New London is collapsing and we don't have much time to reach a decision. Before we do it, we can consult with other settlements, which already promised not to make any requests until this is over, and we should listen to our people. What we do now will change the future not only for us, but for all people in Frostland.

Diary, New London... apologized. They say that they need our help. If it were up to me- but of course it is not up to me alone. Representatives of the various committees are drafting a pamphlet and ballot for the city as I contact our friends and allies at the other sites. This is not a decision that any one person should have the responsibility or ability to make alone.

New Bastion, greetings. What is it that you wanted to talk about?

Can you help us with New London?

We don't know much of New London, but it seems to us that unlike you, its people failed to adapt to the changed world. If you let their city fall, they will strengthen your ranks and learn your ways. If you help them instead, your people might yet become assimilated by them.
The nature is our ultimate judge and it is useless to dispute her rulings. But whatever you decide, we won't deny you help if you ask for it.

Thank you

What's up, New Bastion? Speak your mind.

All those wealthy New Londoners are scum. No offense, pal, you're different, but they can go to hell with their generators and fancy houses. They grew too big and the world will cut them down. If you help them, they'll only stab you in the back, mark my words.
In the end, each of us should stand or fall on their own. We say let New London fall. But we owe you and will help you whatever you do.

Thank you

New Bastion, it's good to hear from you. What is it?

We're saddened to hear about the plight of New London. It reminds us of the tragic fate of Winterhome. We should try to help them, some of our children might have relatives there! If we leave them to their fate, many will die, and this world saw too much death already.
The decision is yours, but whether you choose to save New London or not, we'll help you as much as we can. We must stand together or we'll all freeze alone.

Thank you

Outpost 11, we read you loud and clear. How is the operation going?

We have an answer

We can't endure much longer. Hear us out, we beg you. We treated you badly, misled you, and we were wrong. Although we still believe we are one people, we will respect your autonomy if you save our city.
If you refuse, many will die, but many more will flee to your outpost and every other settlement they can get to. You can't possibly accommodate them all. So many lives are at stake. Please, don't forsake them. What is your answer?

What is our answer to New London?

Remalle fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Feb 28, 2024

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Screw those jerks. I agree with Hot Springs, if we help them regain their strength they'll just use it to become top dog again.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Help them.

There's less than half a dozen settlements in existence left and we built that one. If we don't help, we'll have rendered our entire first game entirely useless.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Help them.

From a purely mercenary pragmatic standpoint, they're right: if they collapse that will leave an enormous number of desperate refugees fleeing to anywhere warm, and that will overwhelm us and our allies. Better to help them stand. The more settlements left running, the greater the resiliency of the whole.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Help them

Also pragmatically, if they fall any usefulness they might have had will be gone. If we save them they may or not work with us, but at worst we can continue existing on our own.

Ballbot5000
Dec 13, 2008

Fabricati diem, pvnc.
screw those jerks

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Help I don't love the "we still believe we are one people," bit. But human life is perhaps the hardest of resources to get. Especially pre war educated people.

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022
Help’em. We aren’t “one people,” and maybe we never will be again. But regardless of their garbage behavior, there’s precious few humans left. If we want to give humanity as a whole the best chance possible, we have to at least try to keep as many of us alive as we can.

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Screw those jerks, they openly exploited us, threatened us when we wouldn't be exploited, left us to die and then only came crawling back when our material, numerical, logistical and organizational superiority became apparent to them. They have been brought undone by their own hubris and incompetence, and are unlikely to learn from their errors.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Help

The game doesn't have a combat system so they can't come and get us

Sel Nar
Dec 19, 2013

New London's Leadership turned off its brains, reached for the opium, and completely shat the bed, but that's no cause to let the trodden masses suffer.

Help

I don't know if it's fundamental optimism towards human nature, or just me being a sucker, but I feel that helping New London (and kicking out the idiots responsible for the city's current condition) is the right call.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Help them, Screwing them is not going to save humanity in the long term

TheDavies
Mar 27, 2010
Help them, or be done by as you did.

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

We're better than them. Help them.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Help them

We're better than they are. But also humanity is near extinction. For all we know, these few outposts and New London are all that's left. Did anyone else escape north? Or are all dead?

There are maybe a few hundred people left. We can't discard so many lives. We can show them we're better to stick it to them.

Also to keep humanity going. And faith. We need more than survival now. We need hope. Otherwise, we're just on a see-saw for a generation or two before we fall to infighting an disolationism.

Cooperation has lead to our survival. IT can lead to their survival too.

Are we animals or are we humans?

Would we cut off our own limb purely to spite another?

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.
Bugger those toerags. They left us to starve alongside our kids. But welcome the refugees into our better society.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Spare.

Though we should find who is responsible still because they are shits.

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Steering wheel! Hey! Steering wheel! Someone tell him to give it to me!

President Ark posted:

Someone was gooning to horses?! :gonk:

:v:

*looks around nervously*

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Help them.

Hot Springs never made any sense before and it doesn't look like they're gonna start now.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
On a more scientific scale humanity needs a sufficiently large gene pool to help rebuild population. There likely won't -be- enough survivors to keep going for another generation or two without collapse from lack of genetic diversity if most of New London's population vanishes.

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.
Fine, New London can stay if they agree to become our outpost. They shall send us a shipment of 200 genes every 24 hours from their dutiful toil in the gene mines.

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Mechanical Ape posted:

Fine, New London can stay if they agree to become our outpost. They shall send us a shipment of 200 genes every 24 hours from their dutiful toil in the gene mines.

I like how you made it sound like a punishment.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
I think we should draw a line under this before we start arguing about how much interest a gene bank gets.

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

The Personal Diary of Signalman E. Bourchier

We polled everybody. The citizens of New Bastion, the workers who have joined us from Hot Springs and Shipwreck Camp, representatives from the leadership of the other settlements, even the children. This was a decision that affects all of us.

How quickly the mood changes! We were ready to fight New London, now many want to help them despite the huge cost. After all, people still have friends and relatives there.
On the other hand, if we let New London fall, we could take full control of it, although many of its inhabitants would die. We'd also have to prepare for a massive wave of refugees.

By a ratio of nearly three to one we, the people of the allied settlements, decided to save New London. I am proud to count myself and Henry among them.

Outpost 11, we read you loud and clear. How is the operation going?

We have an answer

We can't endure much longer. Hear us out, we beg you. We treated you badly, misled you, and we were wrong. Although we still believe we are one people, we will respect your autonomy if you save our city.
If you refuse, many will die, but many more will flee to your outpost and every other settlement they can get to. You can't possibly accommodate them all. So many lives are at stake. Please, don't forsake them. What is your answer?

We will save you

Farewell

Farewell

New London's economy is in shambles, so we will need a lot of Coal to keep them warm. Due to the cold a lot of their workers are sick, which means that our people will have to replace them. Infirmaries will heal the gravely ill, but to build them, we need to send Steel and Steam Cores. Their food economy is stretched to the maximum since the beginning, so the shipment of food rations will be a great aid.

It must have been Anson operating New London's signals today, because their response to our decision was understated to the point of insult. Regardless, we have our work cut out for us; the city requires workers, coal, food, and building materials. Shipwreck Camp quickly contacted us to inform us of their intent to assist our efforts.

We've heard you chose to spare the toffs. Too bad, but it's your choice, as we said. Alas, we too will have to face its consequences.
We'll send them the workers they need to get on their good side and to keep an eye on them. We know a thing or two about generators, having built a few, so we'll take a look at theirs.

Thank you

We have the people, materials, and need to build a coal thumper again. We will also require a resource depot larger than we have build before to store all of the coal we need to send to New London. The Cookhouse and Army Warehouse crews will be working overtime to ensure we will be able to send help to New London in time - they estimate the city will collapse within four days.
Children's Mine stands by us in our efforts too, though they are not assisting as directly as Shipwreck Camp. Hot Springs, however, despite all of the recent improvements to our relations, still has reservations - not with New London, but with us!

We were biting our tongues, but we can no longer remain silent. All the changes you've brought to our agriculture, all this technology we can't understand or even use turned my people into a cheap labour for you.
Our crops now are completely dependent on the pumps you've installed. We toil knee deep in dirt while your people chill around the machines. They won't even hear about teaching us how to use and maintain them, calling us careless dolts. This has to change!

We will teach you

Regardless, the food they send us (with the equipment we are now teaching them about) is enough that we can supply New London with some rations.
We stretched the raw food supply with sawdust to ensure there would be enough to go around.

The workers you've sent us are a great help. Nearly all of our facilities are understaffed, many of our workers are sick and even more are weakened by hunger. Your people give us hope that we still have a chance.

Sending us the food rations, you've accomplished more than just saving us from starvation. You've rekindled hope among our people. They're still hungry, but we know what it took to deliver this much and we appreciate this a lot.

I'm glad to hear that

Your machines are scary and they do not belong in our settlement, but since they are here, we're grateful that we can use them. Your people were a bit gruff initially, since we had so many questions and trouble with understanding the answers, but after a while we got it. Thanks to your help, there's nothing more to improve for now. The knowledge that we can now manage the machinery even if you decide to leave Hot Springs one day is... comforting.

Carry on

Our researchers have been hard at work on the design of a depot large enough to hold all the coal we will need, as well as improving the efficiency of our mines and thumpers.

Sir, since we don't have a Generator or Steam Hubs, we can't refuel automatons. They would work for just a few hours and then stop. We have to rely on our labour. We still can use the Factory to make prostheses.

One proposal was put forth to begin production of automatons to increase productivity, but it would require a significant rework of the existing designs which require steam refuelling stations. Perhaps one day New Bastion will see them, but until then, we rely on human strength.

What is believed to have been the final intact steam core housed in the Army Warehouse has been retrieved and sent to New London. It feels like it has been an age since the last time we sent them a shipment of steel and steam cores.

Immediately after receiving the materials shipment from you we started building the infirmaries and hothouses. Soon we will be able to care for our patients without triaging and feed all the hungry. The spectres of illness and starvation no longer hang over us.

I'm glad to hear that

It took us only three days to amass the coal necessary to keep New London alive, and another twelve hours for our shipment to reach them, narrowly averting disaster.

We did it! New London is no longer in danger of collapse! It was a trying time for us all, full of strife and discord, but that's behind us now. Despite all the misunderstandings and unnecessary grudges, we saw past our differences and lent a helping hand to those in need.
The Last City on Earth remains the best hope of mankind, but how long will its people remember the lesson that it was discord, not the Great Storm, that turned out to be the ultimate threat?

Though we live still in separate encampments, our people are one once more. Not in the sense that we have gone back to being an outpost - we are not New Londoners, and it will likely be a long time before the hunger and fear that New London instilled in us is forgotten enough that we might consider calling ourselves such again. But we are tied by blood, by friendship, by shared labour and humanity. We will not allow anything to cool those relations again.

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

We were just an Outpost
Ruled by New London

They changed the rules
Exploited us
So we rose
And became New Bastion

To stand against New London
We found allies

We lent them a hand
And improved their lives

Then, our former Masters
Turned up to beg for rescue
And we saved the City
Working together in harmony

We averted a disaster
Thanks to our unity

And we learned the lesson
That the ultimate threat
Was not the storm, but discord

United Territories of New London
Population: 889

And so the final chapter of Frostpunk has come to an end, with a somewhat ominous fade to black on the year "1916". I'm not sure how long that has been in the epiloge of On the Edge, but I'm pretty sure it was patched in after the announcement of Frostpunk 2. That game will be out some time later this year, but I'm not sure if/when I will be LPing that one; it's going to be a busy year for me, as I'm planning on getting married and then moving to the other side of the world. This LP isn't quite finished yet, though. There's still one more thing that I never got a chance to show off, a topic a few of you have asked about and which tends to come up about as often as child labour does when discussing this game. Stay tuned for one final bonus update!

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Glad we won this one with winning! And congrats on the coming marriage!

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
HUZZAH!

:bravo: :cheersbird:

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Congratulations!

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022
Congratulations!!!

Man, it was weird to hear the Hot Springs rep say our dudes were “chilling.”

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Wooo we won!

Sel Nar
Dec 19, 2013

BassMug posted:

Congratulations!!!

Man, it was weird to hear the Hot Springs rep say our dudes were “chilling.”

Honestly, in the world of Frostpunk, I can see 'chilling' being used as a derogatory, in the same sense that most people in western society use 'slacker' or 'wastrel', or 'waste of skin'

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013

Sel Nar posted:

Honestly, in the world of Frostpunk, I can see 'chilling' being used as a derogatory, in the same sense that most people in western society use 'slacker' or 'wastrel', or 'waste of skin'

Yeah that's pretty ice.

stryth
Apr 7, 2018

Got bread?
GIVE BREADS!
I wonder how winter myths have changed in frost land? Is jack frost now considered a demon? Is old man winter the devil? We know Christmas is still a thing in some settlements, but how is Santa remembered? Deep thoughts.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

stryth posted:

I wonder how winter myths have changed in frost land? Is jack frost now considered a demon? Is old man winter the devil? We know Christmas is still a thing in some settlements, but how is Santa remembered? Deep thoughts.

If you're good, Santa brings you coal at Christmas

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Thanks for the LP, and congrats on your upcoming marriage!

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

Captain's Log, Day Four Hundred and Twelve
Still no word from Outpost Eleven. I had not anticipated it taking them so long to respond to our ultimatum - the risk of being cut off from our New London's support must surely have shaken them deeply. The village they found out in the wastes will not save them. We will give them one more day to recognize that they must submit to our leadership or starve.

New London's remodel is approaching completion. The necessary changes to the city's layout and infrastructure to accommodate the new houses of prayer and the Temple have temporarily taken some of our food and coal production facilities offline, but they will be operational again quickly enough that most citizens will never know there was an interruption. In the meantime, those workers can enjoy a few days off.

The Snow Pit is ready. Now we can dispose of corpses.
But that doesn't mean people are more content or hopeful. Dumping our dead in the snow is nothing to be proud of.

My decision not to re-establish the cemetary after its demolition in favour of a more economical snow pit is still not being regarded with enthusiasm. The people will accept this change too, in time.

Captain's Log, Day Four Hundred and Twenty-Two
The new foreman I appointed to oversee the city's food infrastructure has still not given me a firm answer in regards to the reopening of the hothouses. Since the Great Storm, our hunting aircraft have reported that they have gone entire days without seeing so much as a single rabbit track in Frostland. If the hothouses do not reopen soon the new foreman will join his predecessor in prison.

A woman is sitting in the snow pit, holding her dead husband's hand, crying her heart out. Perhaps you should have agreed to give people proper burials after all...

Rations are given priority distribution to those who still work. Unfortunate as the recent spate of starvation is, we cannot justify the expenditure of limited resources on those who are not able to contribute.

Captain's Log, Day Four Hundred and Twenty-Five
Another nine found dead this morning.
Some of them are talking about leaving and making their way to Outpost Eleven. It's like the Londoners all over again.

Sir, a man carrying a tightly wrapped package under his coat raised our suspicions. The package turned out to be full of meat. After some questioning, he admitted to cutting up a dead body.
He says he won't let his family starve to death, no matter the cost. What should we do with this criminal?

Guards caught a man stealing from the snow pit to feed his family. Let him go with a warning. There's little point in further punishment when a man is driven to such inhuman desperation. What are we going to do, kill him faster?
Just received news that another three have died. No, five.

Captain's Log Day Four Hundred and Twenty-Seven
Some of the kids gorged themselves on snow. I wonder if the coal-black snow has more flavour? The ones that didn't freeze to death from the inside out are in the infirmary now.

Sir, several families have followed the example of the man who stole and cooked a body. They say they don't want to starve to death like so many others did, and if this is what it takes then so be it.
What should we do with these cannibals?

If they get their strength back up, can they get a hothouse working again? It's worth a shot.

Some more died today.

Captain's Log Day Four Hundred Twenty Eight
I miss meat.

Captain's Log Day 429?
I have heard it said that bituminous coal is comprised primarily of vegetable matter. If it was good enough to feed the Generator, could it do the same for me?
The last of the engineers who knew anything about the Generator's workings died of hunger a few days ago, incidentally.

Sir, groups of starving people are storming the houses of cannibals, whether to punish them or to get some meat, we don't know,
It's a dark hour for our city and its citizens. We have to do something about the current situation and the hunger problem.

The Guards and I have come to the same conclusion. New London is the last city on Earth, and we are humanity's last hope. We must do whatever it takes to survive. The mores of the old world died with it - we are only catching up to reality.

In these terrible times we must do the unthinkable to survive. We won't let the bodies of our dead go to waste.

Who is there left to judge us?

It is simply efficient allocation of resources. Nothing more. Anything less would be a waste.

Captain's Log, Day Four Hundred and Thirty
I saved us. The new alternative food source will keep the remainder of our population strong and healthy for long enough to get our generator repaired and our infrastructure rebuilt. Soon the hothouses will be reopened and we will be able to return to more typical fare, but it is enshrined in Law now that should such a crisis ever recur we are ready and able to do what must be done.

It seemed unthinkable in the past, but this is a new world and we have to adapt. The bodies of our dead can now be utilised to help us survive, so we've started keeping a tally of how many we have.

One hundred and seventy-two. Each of those should be good for several meals - more from the adults, of course - and will keep indefinitely in the frozen snow pit. My foresight paid off. New London will survive.

I saved us. Once again, it is me who is responsible for the salvation of the human race.

Strange. I have just received word that the ragtag group that left the city several days ago just reached Outpost Eleven and they are now hailing us. I will personally go to reestablish contact with our erstwhile colony.

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yikes.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Well, this is grim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

I don't know, it seems like a modest proposal.

:v: