Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.
Soup is good food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

We have surplus labor labour and more on the way. Let's make guards out of them.

Right now we're less a community than a hodgepodge of refugee groups. We're basically trying to build a common identity out of nothing. And what brings people together more than hating the government?

Mechanical Ape fucked around with this message at 19:13 on May 18, 2023

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

The benefits of Patrol match what we need right now, plus we won't need to build anything new. We might as well use our Guard Stations to the fullest before escalating our Order level.

And we will escalate it. :commissar:

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

:eng101: "Captain, what if -- and hear me out -- what if instead of 4 oz. of meat on a plate, we instead served 3 oz. of meat in a bowl and filled the rest with melted snow water?"

:britain: "Would there be booze in this water?"

:eng101:" I should jolly well think so, we're not savages after all."

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

Look, if you promise not to ask where the meat is coming from, then I won't ask what we're making the moonshine out of.

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

Graffiti is one thing, but violent offenders belong in prison.

Remember, they started it. We’re simply doing what’s sensible.

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

When the Londoner's not paintin' his graffiti (his graffiti)
He carries on with dignity and class.
He dreams of holidaying in Tahiti (in Tahiti)
And tips 'is cap to robots as they pass.

After workin' in the sawmill with his brother (with his brother)
He loves the pub and other honest fun. (honest fun)
Taking one consideration with another, (with another)
A patrolman's job is not a happy one.

Ohhhh ...

When constabulary duty's to be done, to be done
A patrolman's lot is not an 'appy one. ('appy one)

Mechanical Ape fucked around with this message at 16:53 on May 24, 2023

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

I am confident that even after the frostpocalypse, Punch is still in publication and that Sir John Tenniel is out there somewhere, drawing scathingly satirical caricatures of engineers and Irishmen.

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

stryth posted:

cooling their heels

Oi! There’s no saying the c-word in this town, matey. It’s captain’s orders. Now move along before I start tapping my truncheon in a threatening manner.

Ironically the Prison is one of the best-insulated buildings you can build. It’d be a very desirable place to live if not for the hourly beatings and of course Room 101.

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

With the citizens in full support, there’s no better time to enact controversial legislation like Triage.

Pleasure? Service to the state is the only true pleasure.

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

painedforever posted:

Is Faith much better? I'm guessing not.

Both Faith and Order are similar in that initial laws are benign/reasonable and descend toward authoritarian nightmare as you move along the track. How far you go is up to you. The game puts pressure on the player, in the form of steadily dropping temperature and crises such as the Londoners, to consider increasingly drastic measures to hold everything together. Good play (i.e. resource management) reduces this pressure; the best way to keep order is to meet your city's needs. The OP is playing well enough that we don't actually need all the laws we've been passing (both Order and Adaptation) but, in video games and LPs of same, sometimes it can be fun to go too far. I've been playing the role of authoritarian shoulder devil in this thread, but that's just for funsies -- in a real game I try to keep as light a touch on the populace as I can manage.

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

sleepy.eyes posted:

If we shoot the hurricane we can rob it of energy!

:science: We simply spin very fast in the opposite direction!

No new laws, let's save it for a health/food/morale crisis. Which might be soon with the apocalypse coming.

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

The Lone Badger posted:

Also I would like to encourage our citizens to begin making small caches of ammunition and crafting materials in desk drawers, hidden crawlspaces etc.

Steam-powered tape machines will be distributed to all citizens. When recording your audio log, please speak clearly and reference all personal thoughts, interpersonal drama and locker/safe combinations that may come to mind. Future adventurers appreciate your courtesy.

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

Ignore him, the most important thing right now is getting the propaganda outlets to insist there's no storm. It's just the moonshine, folks.

Dueling law would be fun. Maybe not for the losers. Well, maybe for them too. Besides, I want to see Johnny Crushed-Leg demand satisfaction from the robot.

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

Remalle posted:

There is nothing more we can do.
House of Pleasure

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

You know, I don't think the Londoners would've made it.

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

IMO the exact numbers aren't as significant as the emotional meaning, which is: this is the end. The storm is death. Death is approaching, a looming wall of finality that cannot be outrun with the fastest rocket sled science can build, it can only be endured -- weathered -- through our shared humanity and the hope that, on the other side of death, there will still be something that remains, a world in which to survive, a horizon of silent white pages on which to write the story of our future.

That said, maybe we should at least build a roof. I mean what are we worried about? CO2 poisoning? Kids are already catching the flakes on their tongues, for heaven's sake.

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

Probably should have gone south instead

That's not going to help against a metaphor.

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

”Government Didn’t Cross Line,” Reports Propaganda Ministry

But oh yes, it could have been so much worse and I’m glad we’ll get to see it. Really good job on this scenario, Remalle.

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

my dad posted:

The second ends ~15 days after the end of phase 1 if you don't deal with the Londoners one way or the other (guess what happens)

Is it possible for EVERYONE to join the Londoners, and if so, what happens? Is there a special game over where you shovel all the coal yourself?

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

How do the Hothouses start growing edible food immediately?

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

Emergency Shift, Sustain Life and Cemetery like the practical gentlemen and gentlewomen we are. (voted in the poll)

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

rastilin posted:

Why are the arks not built around the generator?
Because then there wouldn't be any room for the cricket field.

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

I'll be d---ed before I let some blue-eared Cambridge bottle-holder get ahead of me in the soup line. Up with your dukes, Prestwicke, and guard your whirlygigs! I may be seventy-three but you'll cop a mouse from these Oxford knuckles just the same.

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

I get the impression New London and the Arks are unaware of each other, although their scenarios seem to be happening at the same time.

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

painedforever posted:

Is it meant to be concurrent? The Big Storm is the same storm that ends the other campaign?

I've always assumed but I don't think it's ever established one way or another. In Endless Mode you endure periodic bad weather (Small Big Storms, I guess you'd say) so there are certainly more storms stalking the Frostlands.

I just like imagining the professors in Site 614 doing science in tweed jackets while New London is over there sacrificing kids to the Great Generator God or whatever.

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

No laws to suggest, but we should research and build an Infirmary if we haven't yet. This poor blighter from New Manchester needs a full recovery, and unfortunately we can't simply take his leg off and call it a day.

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

I think the only way to lose is to fail to protect both the Arks and New Manchester.

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

Researching advanced production buildings (Steam Wall Drill, etc.) is a huge, huge deal. This is true of all scenarios but especially so in The Arks, where your goal boils down to producing a ton of stuff. You don't have to worry so much about human needs since your humans will be in nice cozy laboratories and don't take much feeding.

You only get 2 steel deposits on the Arks map so you will absolutely need to upgrade your steel mills to reach your quotas.

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

In heaven there is only one lord, The Lord, and so it should be on earth. In God's country there are no social strata, and everyone works side by side in equality.

Including children.

1. Child Labor
2. Emergency Shift
3. House of Prayer

(never been so happy to resume the apocalypse) :woop:

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

GunnerJ posted:

The Deacon seemingly got Rip Van Winkle-d from the 1600s to the start of the game.

It's a new world and we can talk however we like! The state is smashed, the dream of punks everywhere has been realized. We have gone past the Cool Zone and well into the Very Extremely Cold Zone. We can, now and forever, have our pudding without needing to eat our meat, assuming anyone can find pudding or meat. In this society the English language is ours for the molding, and if that means drawing the best bits from other eras then so be it!

I would go further still and hope that each scenario be narrated in a different flavor of British. Medieval? Of course. Newspeak? Doubleplusgood. Nadsat? Real horrorshow, my droogs.

As to the game, um ... Morning Prayers are now mandatory. But you can pray them in any dialect you like.

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

The real refugees are the friends we made along the way. I guess that's just literally true this time.

This is the one scenario I can't do on Hard. Not to say it's impossible on Hard, but it takes a degree of micromanaging I'm not willing to engage in.

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

At last, time to engage in Frostpunk's combat mechanics! Wait, Frostpunk doesn't have combat mechanics? poo poo. I guess our only hope is maintaining a prosperous and stable society.

Still it'd be nice to raise some Faith Keepers just in case things get physical. There's a hundred lords a-leaping our way and we've got a flock to protect.

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

quote:

Captain, one of the lords refuses to work. He says that, "such menial jobs are best left to the common folk." He claims that he used to be a writer or something like that.
Look here, Mr Dodgson or Carroll or such, we'll have none of your nonsensical fancies here. Why is a raven like a writing-desk? Because we haven't seen either in eight months. Now get back to yer coal-pile! Mad as a hatter, that one.

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

Bring them in, even at risk to our administration, for what's more central to faith than self-sacrifice in the name of compassion? No one ever said being a messiah was easy.

EDIT: though I would sign up for any religion that said "Belief #1: being a messiah is easy".

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

"Put up your dukes" just got super literal.

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

I am such a sucker for "fix this dysfunctional city/amusement park" scenarios.

We've got 11 critically ill people and no hospital, so let's institute Radical Treatment to keep them from clogging the medical tents. Followed by Care Houses for the amputees (plus they eat less food in Care Houses!). Too many dead citizens will put us in a hope tailspin.

Corpse Disposal is awful but let's make the most of it by passing Organ Transplants, which is really the only point of that branch.

Let's keep in mind that we have a functioning Beacon which means we can start scouting parties right away, although hunting parties should probably come first.

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

Phelddagrif posted:

If you're struggling with low hope, that's usually because people are dying, which causes hope to fall. Considering you start the scenario with a bunch of sick people, that's not surprising. Your first priority should be staffing all your medical posts, and clearing space to build more.

Of course, you also start with some gravely ill people, and no infirmaries to treat them. You need to get those people medical care immediately or they'll die. Therefore, your first law should be Radical Treatment. Some will be left as amputees, but they'll be alive.

:agreed: Those sick people are a hopelessness time bomb just waiting to go off. Get those peeps off the streets and into the sheets (of medical cots)!

As for which philosophy to take, I voted Faith because I think it's a bit better at hope and that's our big hurdle.

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

That last shot really shows how much of Old Winterhome had been burned out and cleared away.

But they seem to have things well in hand now. I’m certain Winterhome is going to make it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

The journal we find in the first scenario mentions the Winterhome people were eating their own dead, which I suppose is true, indirectly.