Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Emergency Shift is your greatest friend in these dark days.

Storywise: Holy poo poo guys, we're gonna freeze to death if we don't get our poo poo together right the gently caress now, we can sleep later. (rework phrasing for sufficient level of british)

Mechanics: Emergency shifts on wood piles and gathering posts early on really help you get a good early start. Once you've got the basic "do not die" things set up, alternating emergency shifts on a pair of workshops more than doubles your research rate in comparison to having 3 workshops working normally while having a manageable rate of unrest generation. Also, 1 engineer will die from the second time you emergency shift a workshop, but you won't get any more deaths from it.

my dad fucked around with this message at 06:57 on May 2, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I would advise prioritizing research buildings next if anyhow possible.

Child shelters. It's a suboptimal choice to make this early, but I'd rather have that than child labor, and I'm afraid to vote for anything else until this is locked it.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I'll go with Soup to stretch out our food supply for now.

Mechanics: The nice thing about soup is that it's one of the very few laws whose effects you can effectively undo once you don't need it anymore (you can switch between soup and regular rations depending on how short on food you are)

Also, secondary unrelated mechanics (spoilered to not be backseating, not because it's plot related. I figured people playing along at home might be interested): 1) Hunter's huts don't need to be heated. The idea is that your hunters are out there in the cold hunting most of the time, so you can just stick it out in the boonies and leave more room for things that actually need heating. 2) You don't need to keep the generator on during the day until it gets cold enough that you need to heat up workplaces. The heat in homes only matters once the workday is over. You can also get a lot of 'free' heat by overdriving your generator from ~10pm to 6am every night

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Cemetary

I'd prefer we start making soup, but, y'know, feels lovely to not burry the dead guy first.

ChaosStar0 posted:

It's after an event chain requiring large amounts of starving people. I never got it before so I never knew it existed.

There's another policy you can adopt, which funnily enough, doesn't require having a single dead person for you to receive the benefits of it, but is explicitly about repurposing dead people

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
A meagre, vain vote for Soup here, fully understanding that we're getting pubs next. :v:

Unrelated game mechanics talk, slightly plot related but only in the sense of how the mechanic interacts with it: The game is both plot and time driven, but it's structured in segments. The next segment starts either when your expedition reaches the city mentioned, or at some point during day 15 iirc. If you are new to the game, you can give your settlement a bit of extra time to get the basics done by waiting until early day 15 (edit: specifically, before 8am) to actually explore the site. You can seriously gently caress yourself over and lose days you'll never recover by rushing that site by day 8 for example.

my dad fucked around with this message at 11:59 on May 10, 2023

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Mechanics tip for people struggling with an overwhelmed healthcare system:

If you have wood to spare, you can make a bunch of tents with only one engineer assigned to them, to provide basic care to the sick and keep their condition from getting worse, while your fully staffed (or better) services focus on healing their patients as quickly as possible.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Soup.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Order

Mechanics talk regarding the bear fight: It's a 50-50 coinflip if your scouts survive. The people will use the opportunity to start running towards your town, and if you intercept them quickly enough with a second team of scouts, none of them will die. There is another big obvious risk later in the game, and as far as I know, it will always give you the opposite result of the one you received in the bear cave. Unfortunately, that second risk location is far more important, and if you don't follow up on it, despite the losses it will cause, you miss out on a lot.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I've described this game as "grimdark Tropico", so expect roughly that level of depth from the game's politics.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Mechanics talk regarding the first section of the game, without spoiling anything plot related: Your hope craters to a more-less set level when you discover the fate of Winterhome. This is why it's preferable to take the hope tanking adaptation laws (that you intended to take anyway) before you discover it, and leave the hope raising laws for later if you don't need them right now.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
A more in-character answer: They're our friends, coworkers,family, and fellow survivors, and they're going to loving die out there if they follow the idiots who came up with this idiotic idea.

Hm... I was going to vote for patrols, but the above makes me go for Propaganda Center instead.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Ah, I guess I know what I'll be voting for next time.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Mechanics spoiler regarding the very near future: It's generally a very good idea to return the exploration party with the steam cores before exploring Tesla City.

Propaganda Center

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I have literally never seen both Tesla City and the bears producing the same result, in either one of my own or other people's playthroughs. I wonder if it was changed by a patch at some point.

RIP cousin Nick. You were a weird one, and I wish your name wasn't as tainted by association with that south african fucker who named his company after you.

Foreman.

I'd honestly vote to veto the pledge of loyalty if that were an option.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Funerals, because yeah

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Gonna vote for prison. Not to protect the city from criminals, but to protect criminals from the city. The "banish" option may as well have been "kill him, but slowly" and I'd rather have an empty prison than a full grave.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Prison, let's not have any lynchings.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Which adds to my criticism of the game, by the way. They really want you to feel bad about certain options and actively change the world to hammer it in.

The poet's death is fine, it's entirely in line with consequences of the propaganda center's stated mission. Having the accident happen for some other reason, and giving you the option to cover it up, with all the creepy undertones, because you have the propaganda center - would have been fine.
Killing a bunch of people just to give you a chance to cover things up? Bullshit.

I sometimes wonder if the writers have ever seen how actual disaster relief (which in a lot of way what we're doing here ultimately is) operation look like. Spoiler: A surprising amount of it involves finding ways to tell people "stop panicking and don't do stupid poo poo" again and again. Not because people are idiots (they're generally not), but because disasters put a huge strain on everyone, and having a clear idea on what to do helps deal with this a lot.

e: Oh, right, vote. Prosthetics. May as well stock up on them in advance.

my dad fucked around with this message at 12:28 on May 27, 2023

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Extended shift.

Agitator would be a nice pickup too, after that I think we don't really need anything else.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Mechanics talk regarding extended shift (not really spoilery but since I spoiler everything else): Along with the soup law, it's one of the few laws that can effectively be reversed. You don't have to use extended shifts in your workplaces, you simply can.

That reminds me, we have a lot of food, how about we switch to regular rations now?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

painedforever posted:

Frank Dikötter

Name sounds familiar, is he by any chance a racist Dutch dude in Hong Kong?

e:

Voting Agitators just in case, will probably vote for none of the above afterwards.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Mechanics talk regarding Londoners, very slightly spoilery: The second phase of the game also lasts either max 15 days or until you end the Londoner movement, one way or the other. We are about to enter stage 3 of the game.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Note that the way Triage works here is effectively sacrificing a quarter of the sick on an altar to the storm in exchange for most of everyone else magically jumping out of bed ready to work. It's not something you attend your medical problems with as much as it's something you end them with (for the moment) at a terrible price, with all the associated costs of a mass death event.

Not a vote either way, for the record.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Remalle posted:

I haven't been keeping up with posting the music links, but do yourself a favour and have a listen to Into the Storm as we prepare for our darkest days. I can't stress enough how incredible of a job Piotr Musiał did on this soundtrack!

Seconding.

And no laws

I'm not voting on the decisions since I it's the endgame and I know the consequences of each.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

NOTE TO AUDIENCE: Play this one, it's the track from the game.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I was planning to use "The City Must Survive" at a culmination of a conflict in a Dominions 5 game. My fire loving empire of Ermor (Rome with pre-Marian era armies and imperial era politics, basically) had an uneasy truce with the frost giants of Niefelheim (we were both delaying the fight because we had to deal with the quadratic Jinn blood wizards of Ubar first). The map would force our eventual, inevitable conflict to focus onto a single fortress-city, where I'd have to burn away the impossibly cold storm coming my way, or perish. Sadly, due to irl stuff, I had to sub out of that game before it came to that.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Fun fact: If you rush getting to winterhome and dealing with the Londoners as quickly as possible, it is possible reach stage 3 of the game by around day 11 or so. Which the game will reward you for by rapidly dropping the temperature and unleashing the storm on you around day 23.

e: Also, apparently, the world record speedrun for this scenario is under half an hour.

my dad fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jun 8, 2023

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Tortolia posted:

That seems like a failure condition, given how tenuous things got with a full research tree in this run. Or is that balanced by needing fewer resources given what would likely be a smaller populace in turn?

Does the storm eventually still happen if you don’t progress the plot to Winterhome?

The phases are triggered by event OR by ~15 days passing from the end of the last phase.
The first ends on day 15 at 8AM if you don't reach Winterhome by then (a guy from Winterhome reaches you)
The second ends ~15 days after the end of phase 1 if you don't deal with the Londoners one way or the other (guess what happens)
The refugees coming provide a break between phase 2 and phase 3, phase 3 begins when the third wave of refugees arrives (and you can slightly extend it by letting the last wave reach you on their own)
The third phase has a preset timetable that you can't alter outside of influencing the day it starts on, and includes the storm itself.

It's quite possible to beat the game when rushing things. The OP's run was deliberately not munchkin optimized, merely played well with what we've voted for.

quote:

DEFCON is an interesting experience. Single player gets the full weight of imminent and current apocalypse down incredibly well. And multiplayer trades a bit of that pathos for seeing how people react - and how many are willing to effectively burn the world and take people down with them in a worst case scenario.

I played Dominions 5 . Powerful astral wizards repeatedly casting Wish and wishing for an armageddon to kill as many people as possible in order to keep enemy blood wizards from having fuel for ritual human sacrifice and demon summoning is standard lategame play. :v:
Blood wizard counterplay is fouling magic itself with a horrifically large act of mass sacrifice in a way that marks anyone who casts a non-blood spell - causing horrors from beyond the world to show up and devour them. (Also, frost giant blood mages can do a ritual to basically Frostpunk the planet)

Blood mages start the game as the horrifically evil bad guys that everyone hates, and usually end the game as one of the least genocidal groups solely because they're the only ones who can't fully operate their empires on crystalized magic and actually need people to still be around for things.

Sometimes people who are losing the game cast Armageddon or Burden of Time (rapid aging, for similar results after a while) for no reason other than spite, too. Sure, you also inflict it on players who had nothing to do with your defeat, but when did that ever get in the way of spite? :v:

I have an above average win rate, at 3(and a half)/11 games won in (mostly) 12 player FFA matches because being aggressive while not being petty and spiteful + being willing to eat a smaller L for the sake of the long term W (which you never, ever lose sight of) is a pretty good approach to such scenarios. The highest consistent winrate that I know in servers I've played in is at around 50% games won and is a different, fully backstab mode playstyle by a DSA dude who I generally like outside of our general disagreements about DSA. We've only played against each other once, in a 30 player game, and it was a giant clusterfuck that we both had to substitute out of eventually, but were plotting against each other from turn 1 while trying outpace the other in direct growth and diplomatic power without directly engaging each other in a costly direct war and it was great fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Mu is a good guy. I've played against him once, he did pretty OK. Very Britishly self-deprecating which I normally utterly loathe, but in his case it didn't feel toxic, and the guy's jokes are pretty funny. I encourage everyone to look up his clown nation mod for Dominions, absolutely stellar writing that will leave you genuinely laughing out loud. He also does Dominions lets plays on Youtube (ItsMu) which could use more viewers, they're rather underappreciated.

my dad fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jun 8, 2023