Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Emergency shifts are great early game, particularly for getting your infrastructure up and running. Your early bottleneck is going to be resources once you hit a point before you've gotten your permanent ones setup. So things that can quickly boost your ability to generate things is great.

After that I tend to go for fighting arena just as a simple way to deal with discontent.

Oh well too late to vote! Still fun!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Engineering

The faster you research things, the better you can support your economy.

Soup doesn't save you that much food and it raises discontent. research speed helps us particularly early on when we need to get ahead.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Cemetary

We can't just leave a body decomposing - it will hit morale and spread disease.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Voting for Arenas

They're a way for our citizens to work off some steam, and better them working out on one another rather than us.

Soup is.. Not particularly useful so I'm not sure what exactly the strong interest in it is! It increases discontent and lowers hope each time you use it and doesn't spread out your rations that much. I never took it for the hits it gave to both.

I believe mechanically it lets you use like one piece of raw meat to make three rations. by the time you're at the point in the game where you need to stretch out your reserves the issue isn't food, it's more coal so you don't freeze to death

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Obvious Pubs

the majority of our populace is Victorian era British lower and middle classes. Why isn't beer our second greatest priority?

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Yeah, going for extra rations

That means if we get massive frostbite we can hopefully get folks up

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Morning Gathering

We want ways to boost Hope - that's super useful.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Foremen

They're amazing and have no downsides - no drop in hope, major boost (particularly if you have to do extra/emergency shifts). They can even help Automotons (somehow). They make every production building better with no downside.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Yeah Patrols

We've had the guards catch people, so having extra guards about will help reassure the populace.

Also extended shifts are very nice for when you're starting to need to build up a heavy surplus of resources for later in the game as stations can be set to it ongoing rather than emergency shifts

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
On Children's Homes - how do you get people to actually move into them? I'm doing a run where I have tons of kids, several Children's Homes and they're empty wtih none of the kids living in them. I'm wondering if there's a flag or something you have to do with houses?

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013

AtomikKrab posted:

Children homes are the kids "jobs" unless you pass the apprenticeship laws at which point they will go over to the medical/workshop areas and bug the engineers working there

Cool, so that means I don't have to build them if I have an apprenticeship program setup!

Into the coal mines tis!

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Equip

And No laws

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
So what are you expected to send them in general per 'turn'?

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Had a good time reading! Enjoy your break

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Life happens! Glad this is going on

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
What are the differences between the two options when ti comes to things?

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Bring them in.

We have seen where spite, hate, and bile takes us. It turns us into Lords. If we are to throw them out as they do so much deserve, that makes us just the same as them.

Let us throw it in their faces that we are their betters.

And they were given mercy and succor where they would have given none.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Stop them

Killing a man with cause by a mob is wrong by any standard. The man has done crimes, no doubt. But this is not the way to judge him. It must be done formally. And he must be shamed by what he has done. not given an easy out.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Oof, this was a hard one I never was able to do.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Oof. It only gets worse from here. Great writing as always.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Lovely writing here!

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
What's the mechanical difference of on site burials vs repatriation?

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Repatriation of bodies, worker's council

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Yup, we're at the dawn of a new ice age!

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
It's close to the end. Now the rush is to finish while there's still time.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Stay

We're out to save lives here. The better we can build here, the more people we can save. And with.. Everyting going on back home, we might be safer here thank out there.

And if we stay it will be voluntary. If those who want to go back that will not undermine the project by doing so, they will be permitted to.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
We built this generator on rock and coal!

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Uh, yay? I have suspicions here.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
When we get to Molotovs, they both burn things and provide warmth, desperate warmth...

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Time to prepare

They don't have food to take with them and they'll likely starve on the way back. Give them some time and some rations - enough to let them make it back to New London. We're men. We're not New Londoners

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
From the look of things, there's not a huge number of sick/ill, and we've not had a lot of deaths yet.

I'm going for Arena if only as we're having discontent spikes and that's a good way to take the worst of it out and it only risks injury.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Pubs

Our ability to improve conditions for now is limited due to supplies and workers. We'll be at base substinence levels until we can ensure regular supplies that will last. So what things we can do to keep hope high and discontent low are needed.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Child Shelters

We're trying to show we're a good place.

Also use the strawpoll rather than the thread.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Extra rations for the ill.

If we're getting a lot of very sick/injured people, we're going to need to be able to get a faster turnaround in treating them.

Alternatively care house is a good backup.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Help them

We're better than they are. But also humanity is near extinction. For all we know, these few outposts and New London are all that's left. Did anyone else escape north? Or are all dead?

There are maybe a few hundred people left. We can't discard so many lives. We can show them we're better to stick it to them.

Also to keep humanity going. And faith. We need more than survival now. We need hope. Otherwise, we're just on a see-saw for a generation or two before we fall to infighting an disolationism.

Cooperation has lead to our survival. IT can lead to their survival too.

Are we animals or are we humans?

Would we cut off our own limb purely to spite another?

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
On a more scientific scale humanity needs a sufficiently large gene pool to help rebuild population. There likely won't -be- enough survivors to keep going for another generation or two without collapse from lack of genetic diversity if most of New London's population vanishes.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Glad we won this one with winning! And congrats on the coming marriage!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013

Sel Nar posted:

Honestly, in the world of Frostpunk, I can see 'chilling' being used as a derogatory, in the same sense that most people in western society use 'slacker' or 'wastrel', or 'waste of skin'

Yeah that's pretty ice.