Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
I'll vote Engineering Apprentices to widen the lead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Don't we still need Ceremonial Funerals?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Give him equipment because we're not completely heartless yet.

No new laws at this time.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

By popular demand posted:

I just looked it up and average global temperature during the last ice age are estimated to have been 6c which just puts in perspective just how hosed the world is ingame.

It's so much worse than that. The recent glaciation periods are pretty mild compared to some points in Earth's past.

The temperatures in the game are on par or maybe a little worse than the Cryogenian Period, 720-635 million years ago - before life had really started leaning into this whole "multicellular" thing. During most of this period, the planet was nearly entirely covered by ice sheets, with the exception of a "slush belt" around the Equator that was seasonally ice-free. It's one of several known "Snowball Earth" time periods, and likely one of the worst. Causes are not agreed upon but could include the removal of CO2 from the atmosphere by a boom in algae photosynthesis (causing a drop in the Greenhouse Effect), or a series of supervolcano eruptions putting enough sulfur dioxide in the atmosphere to block incoming solar radiation. Either of those could have gotten bad enough to cause a positive feedback loop as the ice spread and the albedo of the planet's surface would increase, reflecting even more solar radiation back out.

Average planetary temperature is estimated to be around -12°C, and keep in mind The Pit is at a pretty far northern latitude.

It's as cold as it's ever been in the entire geological history of the Earth. The Cryogenian Period only ended when background volcanism had spewed enough CO2 and methane into the atmosphere to give the Greenhouse Effect a kick in the pants and start melting the ice. That took 85 million years.

Good luck, Remalle.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

painedforever posted:

Isn't there a real-life version of these Arks somewhere in one of the Lappland countries? I think I remember reading somewhere that they were going to hide seeds and suchlike in case there's a disaster of some unknown description.

Mind, I think I also remember reading that they also store nuclear waste in a similar bunker, so maybe I'm mixing things.

There are a number of them, the most famous of which is on the island of Spitsbergen off the Norwegian coast.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seed_bank

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

At a Mythbusters Live touring show, Adam Savage talked about that one and was very careful to specify that as far as the FAA is concerned that water heater did not go any higher than 500 feet, no sir.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Remalle posted:

Yeah the cookhouse is the only building that can be staffed by either, every other building in this scenario has to have the right kind of worker assigned.

Current count is at Workers 4, Engineers 3.

Workers

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Note that CO2 has a freezing point of -78.5°C. Although the concentration in Earth's atmosphere isn't really enough to get dry ice snow, on a long enough time scale* you would start to get gradual deposition and end up with chunks of dry ice (like the Martian ice caps), probably covering bits of exposed metal at first.

*I have no idea how long this would have to be.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Help them.

From a purely mercenary pragmatic standpoint, they're right: if they collapse that will leave an enormous number of desperate refugees fleeing to anywhere warm, and that will overwhelm us and our allies. Better to help them stand. The more settlements left running, the greater the resiliency of the whole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Well, this is grim.