Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The real problem with Zack Snyder's superhero movies is the same problem with all superhero movies: It's all downhill after Watchmen (dir. Snyder, 2008)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Watchmen has the same fundamental problem as Beavis to me - it's a very boring movie. It did get me to read the graphic novel and that was pretty good though so it's pretty Okay.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Halloween Jack posted:

The real problem with Zack Snyder's superhero movies is the same problem with all superhero movies: It's all downhill after Watchmen (dir. Snyder, 2008)

I'm convinced most of his haters formed out of those feckless Watchmen comic fans. They're even more insufferable than online Snyder fans.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

He made zombie go fast

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

He made zombie go fast

Zombie has to kill fast and bullet too slow

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
It’s still odd to me that there was so much nerd rage over Fast Zombies. There were plenty of movies with fast zombies before that. I can only assume that they were all Fake Geek Boys who saw one zombie film and declared themselves experts.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022

RBA Starblade posted:

Zombie has to kill fast and bullet too slow

What if Snyder filmed a gun that fires zombies?

This page seems nice.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Halloween Jack posted:

In my humble opinion, ZSJL is one of the best superhero movies because it captures what I like about superhero comics: bombastic action and characters who are both aspirational and relatable. It isn’t just a team up movie, it’s story of lonely people coming together to fight space fascism.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Blood Boils posted:

It's not like there's no angle of criticism to take over his obvious liberal politics either lol

That's honestly one of the wildest things about "the discourse" his work. There's a ton to be said about the politics of his work and not all of it is precisely laudatory, but the conversation has been so poisoned that any critique about his films feels impossible.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I think his weird liberal worldview is what makes his works interesting. He clearly leans towards libertarian. Not in the right-wing proprietarian sense but in the anti-authoritarian sense - none of his characters really believe in owning stuff is the surest form of liberation and the height of liberty. In his Superman films authority tends to be the villain and makes things worse. The military, CIA, Zod, Steppdadwolf, Darkseid, Lex. They're never presented in a favorable light and when agents of those systems show growth and trust it's just that... individuals. He clearly thinks highly of people and cooperative efforts - that's how all his Superman movies go - everyone teaming up to fight the bad guys - authority. His films aren't didactic with its morals. Instead he's heavy-handed with his visuals, as he often gets made fun of, but for all that heavy-handedness his biggest antis still missed the point. The most vocal and popular reads I see are really things that ignore the text of the movie to come to some weird-rear end conclusion like the pastor in the Dawn remake was presented as correct. Or how you should ignore the framing device to come to the conclusion that the director hates Muslims.

His liberalism is inability to congeal that worldview into something good like communism or anarchism. His films can be read that way because he clearly wants people to work together towards a common cause and it's often represented by authority but I don't think, or at least shown he has, the foundation to make that logical step.

What I'm basically saying is someone needs to get this man some books by Marx and Maletesta!

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Apr 11, 2024

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
It’s really a shame that “The Flash Enters the Speed Force” has been memed to death because that scene is the exact melding of tearjerker and fist-pumping that comic books are at their best and has finally supplanted the train scene in Spider-Man 2 as the best scene in any superhero movie

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I don’t think it was memed much at all outside of Snyder spaces.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~
Yeah I just remember seeing some people were Definitely Not Mad that scene won a fake Oscar over anything from No Way Home

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

CelticPredator posted:

I don’t think it was memed much at all outside of Snyder spaces.

Yeah I can't remember seeing any memes about that... but the scene is still kinda spoiled by The Flash being such an utter trainwreck. Like, I am waiting for a gif that begins with Barry's Speed Run and ends with him putting the baby in the microwave while he grins like a loving lunatic.

Halloween Jack posted:

It’s still odd to me that there was so much nerd rage over Fast Zombies. There were plenty of movies with fast zombies before that. I can only assume that they were all Fake Geek Boys who saw one zombie film and declared themselves experts.

To be fair to the haters (don't be fair to the haters, they are dumb), a lot of emphasis was put on the zombies' speed. Right at the start, you got that Oh poo poo!-moment when Sarah Polley throws that kid down the hall and she just bounces to her feet and rushes at the door. And just after there is that hilarious moment when the neighbor chases Polley in her car and course-corrects when he notices a confused guy standing there. Zombies be running all over the place in Dawn in ways that never really happened before.

I'm sure there are parallels to be drawn between the running zombies and the T-1000, who might have the coolest way of running in movie history.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Monica Bellucci posted:

This page seems nice.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Grendels Dad posted:

To be fair to the haters (don't be fair to the haters, they are dumb), a lot of emphasis was put on the zombies' speed. Right at the start, you got that Oh poo poo!-moment when Sarah Polley throws that kid down the hall and she just bounces to her feet and rushes at the door. And just after there is that hilarious moment when the neighbor chases Polley in her car and course-corrects when he notices a confused guy standing there. Zombies be running all over the place in Dawn in ways that never really happened before.

I'm sure there are parallels to be drawn between the running zombies and the T-1000, who might have the coolest way of running in movie history.
Yeah but like Return of the Living Dead, probably the most recognizable zombie franchise at that time outside Romero's, had zombies running all over. There was nothing unprecedented about the running.

Imagine if people had lost their poo poo at T2 because the T-800 Terminator is supposed to be slow and clumsy. And that's the same franchise! Nobody gave a gently caress.

Jimbot posted:

His liberalism is inability to congeal that worldview into something good like communism or anarchism. His films can be read that way because he clearly wants people to work together towards a common cause and it's often represented by authority but I don't think, or at least shown he has, the foundation to make that logical step.

What I'm basically saying is someone needs to get this man some books by Marx and Maletesta!
I think that even if Snyder was a crypto-communist, there are limits to what you can do in the big-budget studio system. For example, Elio Petri was a communist, and his gangster movies are bluntly anti-reactionary, but they don't express any straightforward didactic about a better leftist alternative to the Execution Squad or Still Killing The Old Way.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Apr 11, 2024

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

https://twitter.com/kgcrossov3r/status/1780612195279343652?s=46&t=uiUehxbkNdNcN0PmfZ4Vaw

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

WHY DID YOU SAY THAT NAME

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57NwWWDk_0E

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

"There used to be a thing called dvds..."

:smith:

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Snyder reflecting on his movies, spelling out the obvious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzutcTsKI1E&t=789s

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Dang, kinda bummed they don’t talk about army of the dead. Still waiting for those sequels!

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Snyder reflecting on his movies, spelling out the obvious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzutcTsKI1E&t=789s

Some snippets:

Watchmen
"They said, we have a script would you like to see it and I go yeah. So I read the script and it was very much, at that time, it was completely different from the comic book. It was like, the war on terror, it was like all updated, and like, I think Rorshach had like, a dog as a sidekick and it was all sorts of bizarro... just stuff I was like, wait, what? No. I go, you guys, if I do this, I have to do as best I can to put it back to the original. You know, set it in the 80s, you know, Nixon's president, all that. So there was a bit of a battle there."

"The reason I switched the squid to Manhattan was for a couple reasons. One, at the time, and I think if I had more time I would have included the squid, but I didn't think I could tell the story in the confines of three hours and give the squid his, like, enough backstory where it made sense to the audience and didn't appear out of nowhere. And also, I felt there was symmetry to pinning it on Manhattan."

What's that? Snyder is actually responsible for how close the movie is to the comic, and the squid change was a matter of circumstance? Huh, it's like he understood the source material or something. Fancy that.

Man of Steel
"We [Christopher Nolan and I] sat and talked about Superman through the years, and what this Man of Steel movie could be. To make him... the nostalgia, the importance of what he represented to generations, and that that importance cannot be diminished. He's an immigrant, you know? It's an immigrant story in a lot of ways, and that was a thing I really felt strongly about. That he was an outsider, that he was looking to be accepted, all that stuff that is really at the core of who he is."

"He [Clark] says, I let my father die to protect the idea that my father was trying to protect. The idea that, like, I wasn't ready to be, like, outed to the world because I wasn't Superman. I'm just, I was like a teenager that kinda like, could've made a mess of it. I had the power to do it, but like, had I ever used my powers in those ways? Did I know exactly how to do it? No. I wanted to save my dad, but I also trusted him, that his vision for what I could be was bigger than him, or I, or this little incident in Kansas was not the thing that was going to, sort of, expose me to the world. Cause the moment I'm exposed to the world, I have to be at the peaks of my powers, because the world is not gonna sit around and rejoice my existence. That's probably not what's gonna happen. And I think that's what Jonathan's point of view was. The world is gonna be afraid of you. There's a really good chance you're going to become the enemy, because you make us feel too insignificant, and when we feel that way, we get afraid."

"Superman was the most realistic movie I've made, which I thought was a cool thing to think about. Like, for me, the most grounded, sort of naturalistic film that I've made, and I did that on purpose, was a movie about a guy who can fly."

Man of Steel 2
"If you were to make it, with Brainiac or whatever you were gonna do, which it certainly could have been. Maybe that's it, and you hold it off for a movie. And that's possible. I just felt like, I needed to know what Bruce's take on this was. Like, Bruce's take on the near-destruction of the world."

Batman v Superman
"I wanted the most Batmanny Batman I could find. Because I feel like Henry is the most Supermanny Superman."

"[Chris Terrio] said, like, you know that their mothers have the same name. I was like, that's crazy, I never thought about that. And he goes, imagine that Batman sees Superman as an alien, as a monster, but realizes that his dead mother has the same name as this thing that he considers non-human. That's gonna get him... What else could he say to Batman holding the kryptonite spear, he's about to plunge it into his heart, what is he gonna say? What is he gonna say to convince him that his love of humanity is as high as Batman's?"

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

That's a good name for a discord channel lmao

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Like a lot of people suspected, these are two parts of one whole movie. Part two is a lot more action oriented, and the plot moves along at a pretty brisk pace. There's definitely some editing issues like the first one because they had to cut away from the gorier moments to keep the PG rating.

Some first immediate impressions (mild spoilers)

I really liked the plasma blade effects, that after image strobe effect looked really cool
Ed Skrein strikes a good balance between menacing and scenery chewing, the hallmark of a good villain
Jimmy doing a superhero landing with his cape blowing majestically in the wind was awesome
I found it really funny that Zack had an actual orchestra playing while the king was being Ceaser'ed
The final act was giving extreme Star wars vibes, with the flying ship crashing and them fighting while its listing
Also looking forward to the endless derail about grain arguments.

Anyways all in all I am definitely interested to see where they go next.

McCloud fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Apr 19, 2024

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023
is it my rip or is this movie full of weird focusing tomfoolery? I'm like 20 mins in and it's like i have beer goggles on.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Stegosnaurlax posted:

is it my rip or is this movie full of weird focusing tomfoolery? I'm like 20 mins in and it's like i have beer goggles on.

Welcome to Zack Snyder’s vision. It’s not really 20/20 these days

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Sounds like someone's living in a dream world.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
This sequence before the battle where they all exposit their backstories at each other is very odd. It feels like these flashbacks should have been included with the introductory sequences for these characters in part one, and I wouldn't be surprised if they get moved there in the alternate cuts.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Discord stream starting in a few mins!

Baron von der Loon
Feb 12, 2009

Awesome!
The second part clicked much better for me than the first. Really looking forward to seeing the director's cut, I imagine that can bring the whole thing together. I'd say my biggest complaint is that with it being a Netflix production, I would've loved to have seen it on a big screen.

Also a big sucker for the moment when the farmers were cheering for their first victory, followed by the roaring sound of the tank.

Would recommend watching the Making Of after. Lots more practical stuff than I expected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
I'll have to check out the making of. And yeah the tanks ruled. Made me really fear for the grain.