Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Owl movie needs a 3 hour cut. It’s got too many world details to fit in 93 mins. Also more time for more bat neck snapping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
This thread reminded me of this short he directed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebXB0lBoaQ0

Did you know that before directing movies Zack Snyder directed music videos? It's something everyone in this thread probably knows, but can you really say you know? Now you can:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWkPJgyO8sY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7T-4GTBohGk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDdQcfz6pbo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrrE5bCA5lg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZyGkpXoyWY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJTKGRcQvvE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pY_WBZ5unC8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOuSxal8pf4

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
He also did a beer commercial iirc

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

He also directed Michael Jordan's Playground

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lty8KBD6x58

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
Playing this while I open the new thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXUDP6HP4qk

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

That beer commercial was for Budweiser and uh..well, take a look

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MZUvib98Rs

It sure makes his "put on your 9/11 faces" quote much more funny in retrospect

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Added a little blurb under the header images in the OP encouraging old and new thread readers to do the same, lol. Thanks for the idea!

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Nroo was a good poster and it sucks they went away

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I really liked how this is its own thing but also feels like a continuation of some of Man of Steel's score.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

The presentation of the scenes of Silas' recorded talk to Cyborg and the way Cyborg crushes the tape right as Silas says he's now going to speak to him as a father early on and then reassembles it to get the rest of the message at the end and how Cyborg's story and Silas' speech and his explanation to the league about how the mother boxes work and the way that paralleled the rest of the league forming (and how we get like an evil version of it from Lex in one of the epilogues) was loving awesome. After what a nothing character Cyborg was in the poo poo version of this movie from a few years earlier it was crazy to see how much he was the dramatic heart of the movie.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 07:01 on May 3, 2023

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
Another thing that I really love about ZSJL is how much the heroes compliment each other in fight scenes. Superman is clearly the powerhouse, and it helps to have him absent for most of the Steppenwolf fight. However, the way everyone has a role to play makes it play out so well when watching. It also makes you appreciate the power differences, and how awesome it is when somebody steps in to pick up another's slack. Batman, despite his tech and his planning, is clearly outmatched in that final fight with Steppenwolf and the Parademons. He'd be dead many times over, but Wonder Woman keeps leaping to his rescue. It makes that moment where Batman grabs a Parademon defense cannon and give Wonder Woman some cover so great. Along with his curt nod as if to say, "I've got your back, too." It's so great.

Neo Rasa posted:

The presentation of the scenes of Silas' recorded talk to Cyborg and the way Cyborg crushes the tape right as Silas says he's now going to speak to him as a father early on and then reassembles it to get the rest of the message at the end and how Cyborg's story and Silas' speech and his explanation to the league about how the mother boxes work and the way that paralleled the rest of the league forming (and how we get like an evil version of it from Lex in one of the epilogues) was loving awesome. After what a nothing character Cyborg was in the poo poo version of this movie from a few years earlier it was crazy to see how much he was the dramatic heart of the movie.

What they did to Cyborg/Ray Fisher is loving criminal. His performance is amazing, and it should have been the start of a great career. gently caress WB, and gently caress Joss Whedon.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Neo Rasa posted:

I really liked how this is its own thing but also feels like a continuation of some of Man of Steel's score.

The remix of MoS' "First Flight" into a triumphant action theme for the climax is so loving good.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Bogus Adventure posted:

What they did to Cyborg/Ray Fisher is loving criminal. His performance is amazing, and it should have been the start of a great career. gently caress WB, and gently caress Joss Whedon.

Co-signed. I really want to see more of his take on Cyborg, he was so compelling. But, no, we can't have good things.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Bogus Adventure posted:

Zack also left the door open for The Atom to get a solo movie, but WB blew that too. ZSJL did great numbers in China, and a spinoff with the guy who played Ryan Choi would have done yuuuge numbers, considering the actor was really popular in China

In other news, if you're rich:

https://twitter.com/ZackSnyder/status/1653848284627361792

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

https://twitter.com/ZackSnyder/status/1653848284627361792

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

lol retroactively beaten, Teagone

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

McCloud posted:

:argh:

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

McCloud posted:

That's how they beat Darkseid.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Schwarzwald posted:

That's how they beat Darkseid.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
Can't believe I missed a final chance to post in the Snyderdome! I also still haven't seen ZSJL, because I don't have time. poo poo sucks. :negative:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Agent Rush posted:

Can't believe I missed a final chance to post in the Snyderdome! I also still haven't seen ZSJL, because I don't have time. poo poo sucks. :negative:

Make your own future. Make your own past. It's all right now.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

teagone posted:

Make your own future. Make your own past. It's all right now.

*punches a rando, steals some liquor*

Lord Seo
Aug 7, 2011

I should have learned Kung-fu instead of ethics.
He tried to save superhero movies from the Disney machine, but was rejected by the ignorant masses. Now he is trying to save space fantasy movies from the Disney machine, will we listen this time?

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Reporting that man of steel is still the best superhero movie ever made

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What do you lads think about this quote

https://twitter.com/DCU_Direct/status/1655951338734489603?s=20

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I think it was a very boring movie

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

I think what they were going for was way more obvious in the Ultimate Cut. That's on the studio.

I also think that if you are going with a layered and nuanced cape movie you're going to need to be ready for backlash, doubly so if it's with Superman who has a huge audience of people who don't pay attention to the character at all but consider themselves invested in him. The overreaction was also on the studio.

That's about it. It's Twitter poo poo stirring otherwise and I don't care.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Nothing controversial about it, imo. Just telling it like it is, especially if you read the quote in full. BvS isn't a typical superhero romp, especially compared to the capeshit of that particular era. If you want to experience Snyder's take on a popcorn-esque genre blockbuster, his cut of Justice League fits the bill. But social media's immediate reaction to the quote chopped up and out of context will almost certainly be "So Snyder is basically saying general audiences were too stupid to get it" or something dumb like that because it's Snyder, lol. What do you think about it?

teagone fucked around with this message at 19:16 on May 10, 2023

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

That tweet is some rabble-rousing to the max.

He's not wrong in the full quote.

quote:

Yes, but I think that probably is what caused the movie to be so polarizing. I think, and maybe I’m wrong, but I feel like a lot of people went into the movies for going like, ‘Oh, it’s the superhero romp, right? Let’s have fun with it.’ And we gave them this sort of hardcore deconstructivist, heavily layered, experiential modern mythological superhero movie that needs…that you really need to pay attention to. That was not cool [for them]. That’s not something anyone wanted to do. They were like, ‘What? No! That’s exhausting. How about, why do they fight at night?’ I hate that.

Not a stretch to say that at the height of Marvel action-comedy romps having something like this come out went against expectations. It was even really different from the film that preceded it.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Talk about bad faith but hey, that's Twitter for you.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

RBA Starblade posted:

I think it was a very boring movie

Starblade!!!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

BvS would do well now I think since people are really over the MCU’s style

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Snyder is the blueprint.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

CelticPredator posted:

I don't believe there's any world where the Theatrical version did well. The Ultimate, if pitched properly as a "blockbuster epic", might have made it. Maybe.

The most damning thing I can say about the theatrical version of BvS is that once I saw the Ultimate cut I had no desire to ever watch the theatrical version again and felt it was strictly inferior cinema, which is not the case with literally any other director cut I've watched (for an easy example, the Aliens director's cut showing the colony before Ripley arrives undercuts some of the tension when she actually arrives, so it's not strictly an upgrade). So, no, I don't think theatrical has the juice, ever.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

CelticPredator posted:

I think especially so with Musk's buyout of Twitter and Trump's "stolen election" stuff. All the stuff in the movie about Lex manipulating everything behind the scenes and the massive polarization of public opinion on Superman that people criticized as "unrealistic" seems like it would fit in pretty well today.

I think also the studio could have done a better job setting expectations for the movie by letting people know it wasn't going to be a "sit down and turn off your brain" movie.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Once again, Mr. Snyder had made a film that was ahead of its time.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I don't believe there's any world where the Theatrical version did well. The Ultimate, if pitched properly as a "blockbuster epic", might have made it. Maybe.

The most damning thing I can say about the theatrical version of BvS is that once I saw the Ultimate cut I had no desire to ever watch the theatrical version again and felt it was strictly inferior cinema, which is not the case with literally any other director cut I've watched (for an easy example, the Aliens director's cut showing the colony before Ripley arrives undercuts some of the tension when she actually arrives, so it's not strictly an upgrade). So, no, I don't think theatrical has the juice, ever.

The elaborate "lead-lined" wheelchair stuff in the Director's Cut isn't something I liked. I flip-flopped over that part but settled on "could have done without it". It has the unfortunate side effect of Superman using his xray vision willy-nilly. Like he's inherently suspicious of people. Him not seeing it because he chose to believe the man was there in good faith is a better reading.

Mr. Apollo posted:

I think especially so with Musk's buyout of Twitter and Trump's "stolen election" stuff. All the stuff in the movie about Lex manipulating everything behind the scenes and the massive polarization of public opinion on Superman that people criticized as "unrealistic" seems like it would fit in pretty well today.

I think also the studio could have done a better job setting expectations for the movie by letting people know it wasn't going to be a "sit down and turn off your brain" movie.

One great yet often overlooked part of the film is that the media increasingly get unhinged and hyperbolic as it goes on. By the end they were practically declaring the bombing of the build was an inside job. It's great! Manufacturing consent, babyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Jimbot posted:

That tweet is some rabble-rousing to the max.

He's not wrong in the full quote.

Not a stretch to say that at the height of Marvel action-comedy romps having something like this come out went against expectations. It was even really different from the film that preceded it.

Yeah, this. Like even in the cut down click-bait quote he's literally just saying "audiences didn't find the way I did this film to be cool" which....is true? Sure you can really squint your eyes and read it as "I did a really deep film and they couldn't understand it" by unfairly interpreting "that wasn't cool for them" as like "they're idiots" and not "they didn't find a thing cool" in order to be offended.

With the added context he's even more magnanimous and literally saying "I did a kind of out there deconstruction of a super hero movie and most people just wanted something light and fun" which is literally what people who hate BvS say when they describe it as "grimdark" and say Gunn is going to save the DCEU by making it more fun.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

If anything, Snyder seems apologetic in that quote for failing to cater his capeshit more towards general sensibilities, lmao.

He doesn't need to explain himself and doesn't owe anyone that. The admission he makes is something most filmmakers would probably never cop to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Yeah, he's saying "I made a movie this way but it the majority of audiences wanted their superhero movies made that way.".

teagone posted:

If anything, Snyder seems apologetic in that quote for failing to cater his capeshit more towards general sensibilities, lmao.

He doesn't need to explain himself and doesn't owe anyone that. The admission he makes is something most filmmakers would probably never cop to.
I think Greg Silverman said it nicely:

https://twitter.com/gregsilverman/status/1479141885008482306?s=20