Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

You mean Supreme, no?

I did, kinda, but Moore also did some great Majestic writing so I was thinking of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
to me all Alan Moore writing is "Majestic" writing

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

massive spider posted:

I'd disagree on Homelander tbh. The interesting aspect about Homelander as a character is that he's a Superman who doesn't really give a poo poo. He's certainly not a good guy, but he lacks the focus and ambition to really have an evil scheme either.

his is less an ideological belief that he's good and more a narcissistic belief that, as long as people like him, he must be good. At least, that's my take on the character.

Space Fish posted:

FWIW Irredeemable and Injustice do a pretty good job of steeping otherwise good Supermans in heating water until they boil over and break bad, both won me over from initial skepticism.

I liked Injustice's concept as I thought it did a pretty good job depicting a Superman that slides into an awful belief system but does so rationally. As in, he doesn't simply go crazy, which takes the pressure off the writer. He maintains an internally consistent albeit ghastly belief system. I'm not familiar with Iredeemable, I'll check it out.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Irreedeemable is just about a guy who tries to be Superman, but really shouldn't be. The Plutonian honestly wants to be a good guy but the consequences of "when Superman fucks up, 200k people die" just bakes his brain.

It's not a good comic but it has a good premise.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Probably the most interesting way to do a 'evil Superman' story is showing him trying to do 'good' with hosed up ideas about what that means, yeah.

Heck, even Jiren has some interesting takes once they finally get around to his backstory, mostly via clown god exposition. Superman who's lost his idealism and faith in others from repeated tragedy and betrayal, but still has charisma and a heart deep down.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Happy Snyder Cut anniversary

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

he’s so cool

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Lol

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

This is praxis.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

drat zack, clean your sink sometime

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Hey he stole my flash drive

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

https://vero.co/zacksnyder/CdZ-kcLVwS3tW5zN19FTvhJZ
Trailer is out

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

"Now, hear me out...what if the Jedi were actually able to be hosed with?"

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Okay but the Jedi were able to be hosed with. Like I get what you're saying but the Jedi very much were able to be hosed with.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
More importantly: Jimmy's back!!

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Jimmy's back... for blood.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I’m watching Quiet on the Set and noticed something.

https://twitter.com/tomenheimer/status/1769799893537755356?s=46&t=uiUehxbkNdNcN0PmfZ4Vaw

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I thought for a moment this was going to be the Batman v. Superman poster from I Am Legend.

Also November 12, 2013 for MoS? Did they change the release date?

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

McCloud posted:

Happy Snyder Cut anniversary

Ngl I would have preferred this method

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Are they seriously going to release part 2 of Rebel Moon before the director's cut of 1? I've been holding out this whole time.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

roffels posted:

Are they seriously going to release part 2 of Rebel Moon before the director's cut of 1? I've been holding out this whole time.

I maybe wrong but I think the only director's cut we're getting is gonna be the two films together with a 4 hr runtime.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

They're releasing the R-version of both films the same day in the summer. That's going to be a great double-feature that I'm gonna dedicate an afternoon to.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Tokubetsu posted:

I maybe wrong but I think the only director's cut we're getting is gonna be the two films together with a 4 hr runtime.

It's two 3 hour movies that will drop same day some time in summer. This is straight from Snyder.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
Good to know. More Snyder than expected!

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

crosspost

https://x.com/rebelmoon/status/1772654909860495665?s=20

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I just got back from GxK. Is it just me or did they ape Snyder’s Dream Lens in the Hollow Earth scenes?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

https://twitter.com/kgcrossov3r/status/1775161285161681279?s=46&t=uiUehxbkNdNcN0PmfZ4Vaw

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Kurosawa's the blueprint.

Because of course he is. He's one of the greatest filmmakers who ever lived.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Sucker punch discourse is back baby

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Funny how the same social media circles that always preach "let people like what they like" and "there are no guilty pleasures in art, be earnest" always loudly decry Snyder, including and especially Sucker Punch, as objectively terrible and worth negatively judging anyone who liked it.

At least, that's what I'm observing among some gaming circles on Bluesky. What's the discourse look like elsewhere?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Same on twitter from the brief glimpses I've seen of it - I rather not touch the poop - is that it's made up of the usual anti-art stances. All these folks really need to take a step back and realize they have the same kind of attitude that right-wing loser reactionaries have over things they don't like. You saw this kind of dumb nonsense when TFA and TLJ came out. Ghostbusters 2016, as well. Really, anything that has women, enby, PoC, part of the LGBTQ+ community or a combination of those. We all rightly laughed at those stuff and called it out as pedantic whining. Can't just do that then turn around and do the same nonsense to a director whom you created a strawman of in your head. Only difference being is that maybe some of these folks have good worldviews/politics but have the same incurious, reactionary, baby stances about art as the right-wing chuds do.

The Venn diagram is a near-perfect circle.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Apr 10, 2024

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Space Fish posted:

Funny how the same social media circles that always preach "let people like what they like" and "there are no guilty pleasures in art, be earnest" always loudly decry Snyder, including and especially Sucker Punch, as objectively terrible and worth negatively judging anyone who liked it.

It's honestly pretty weird, the vehemence of it. I don't consider myself a huge Snyder fan in general, but I find him incredibly interesting. I've voiced this extremely tame opinion elsewhere, and people will still be like "NO! NO HE ISN'T!!"

Naturally, Snyder's movies - which people still actively discuss years or decades after the fact - are valueless and bad and have nothing to say. BvS came out 8 years ago, there's been a very successful Batman solo film since, but boy let me tell you how bad that Batman v Superman movie was. I barely remember the details, but it made such an impression on me I still have a multi-paragraph rant about its character choices already in the chamber. That's how inept and boring that movie was.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I've said it before and I'll say it again - I don't actually think Snyder is a great filmmaker. He's definitely an auteur, and I generally enjoy his work, but - to me anyway - he's basically around the same level as Baz Luhrmann in that he has a very distinctive voice and I appreciate what he's going for even if I think that sometimes his ambition exceeds his ability, and when I'm vibing with him it's great. But the criticism of him is so myopic and just generally dogshit that I come down on his side 95%+ of the time, which makes me seem like a super-stan.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Yeah, I've said this in the past that I really like his Superman films (like a lot) but have been kinda meh on his other stuff. I was cold on Rebel Moon for example, and thought it merely okay. I do wish he'd work with Larry Fong again - Batman v Superman is a gorgeous film (and I'm sure Watchmen is too). It's interesting because he worked with different DoPs for each of those films and they each have their own style and look but somehow work as a cohesive whole. On the flip side, while I liked a lot of his shot decisions and I even came around on his lens choices (worked better for me in Rebel than Army of the Dead) but compared to those DoPs he worked with in the past his efforts don't stack up.

His Superman films, in my eyes, are masterpieces but everything outside of that from the films I've seen are pretty okay to below average. Nothing that should remotely cause this sort of vitriol. But it's less about his work (some early Rebel Moon reviews were about him and his fanbase more than the film itself) and more about the director. People really do think he's a cryptofascist and/or an objectivist. It's the weirdest thing and not remotely true.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I've said it before and I'll say it again - I don't actually think Snyder is a great filmmaker. He's definitely an auteur, and I generally enjoy his work, but - to me anyway - he's basically around the same level as Baz Luhrmann in that he has a very distinctive voice and I appreciate what he's going for even if I think that sometimes his ambition exceeds his ability, and when I'm vibing with him it's great. But the criticism of him is so myopic and just generally dogshit that I come down on his side 95%+ of the time, which makes me seem like a super-stan.

This is absolutely spot on. 90% of my die hard love for Snyder is more about protecting the position of crazt auteurs with distinct visions and styles in the blockbuster space that he inhabits.

He is imperfect but he is important.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
It's not like there's no angle of criticism to take over his obvious liberal politics either lol

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I'm simply a pervert, who finds it fun to defend art things that have become the target of a disproportionate hatedom.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Bongo Bill posted:

I'm simply a pervert, who finds it fun to defend art things that have become the target of a disproportionate hatedom.

this is also my primary motivation

but purely coincidentally, it's also what i believe

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

More like Libonaidas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Bongo Bill posted:

This