Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Escobarbarian posted:

I guess I don’t even think the concept of a superhero movie with more then zero thought behind it was that unique at the time, I guess.

It's not. And Snyder is never quoted saying as such. It's just that when a crossover film featuring two of the most storied comic book heroes in history -- characters who also happen to have very iconic adaptations in previous films as well -- there's very much a certain sort of vivacious experience the audience is expecting going into a movie with "Batman" and "Superman" in the title. What Snyder delivered with BvS was clearly NOT that, lol. He crafted something much different and against the grain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Escobarbarian posted:

Some cool posts up in here! I definitely get what you all are going for now. I still don’t agree that it’s why the movie was considered a failure and I will always have major qualms with that way of thinking but I can happily admit the comparisons and metaphors go deeper than I was aware of.

Just want to reiterate that Snyder even pops a disclaimer saying "he might be wrong" about his explanation regarding why BvS was so polarizing.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008

teagone posted:

It's not. And Snyder is never quoted saying as such. It's just that when a crossover film featuring two of the most storied comic book heroes in history -- characters who also happen to have very iconic adaptations in previous films as well -- there's very much a certain sort of vivacious experience the audience is expecting going into a movie with "Batman" and "Superman" in the title. What Snyder delivered with BvS was clearly NOT that, lol. He crafted something much different and against the grain.

Even better, he somewhat adapted one of the most famous graphic novels of all time that heavily features the two of them and flipped it on its head to make Batman an unhinged psycho.

I still think nerds were just mad that Batman isn’t cool in BvS. Switch Wonder Woman & Batman’s roles and people would have been fine with it.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Alexander Hamilton posted:

I still think nerds were just mad that Batman isn’t cool in BvS. Switch Wonder Woman & Batman’s roles and people would have been fine with it.

There is definitely a current in fandom thought where being evil is simply playing the heel while being seen as embarrassing/cringe/awkward-but-not-in-the-cute-way is unforgivable, and Batman is often embarrassed in BvS.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I once talked to someone who was mad at the very idea of an allegory for 9/11 and considered it disrespectful to the people who died in 9/11 so I think people actually were too stupid for BvS.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Escobarbarian posted:

Some cool posts up in here! I definitely get what you all are going for now. I still don’t agree that it’s why the movie was considered a failure and I will always have major qualms with that way of thinking but I can happily admit the comparisons and metaphors go deeper than I was aware of.

Another Snyder-dome success story!

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I can't say why people as a whole rejected it, but common terms in discussion of it are things like "joyless" and "grimdark" suggesting that, debate about the exact terms he used to describe it aside, Snyder's comment that people wanted a more light-hearted romp was pretty much on the money

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Roth posted:

I once talked to someone who was mad at the very idea of an allegory for 9/11 and considered it disrespectful to the people who died in 9/11 so I think people actually were too stupid for BvS.

*looking at person getting mad about 9/11 allegories*

Is that your 9/11 face?

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
What's fun about BvS is that you see the mental toll that being a superhero takes on Clark and Bruce. Clark is uncomfortable with how people see him as some kind of god, either lording above lowly humans or some benevolent force of nature. He knows he's only one person and not perfect. Bruce has just been beat to poo poo during his war on crime in Gotham, and is now forced to admit that there is a potential threat out there who could crush him like an ant. And to add insult to injury, this "Superman" who could stop suffering but chooses not to has the audacity to tell him to stop his war.

It rules.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Jimbot posted:

The elaborate "lead-lined" wheelchair stuff in the Director's Cut isn't something I liked. I flip-flopped over that part but settled on "could have done without it". It has the unfortunate side effect of Superman using his xray vision willy-nilly. Like he's inherently suspicious of people. Him not seeing it because he chose to believe the man was there in good faith is a better reading.

Yeah, this was one of the weakest parts of the ultimate cut. It was still better than the theatrical, for sure, but ultimate really goes overboard with "Palpatine's behind it all!" in a few places that were much better left ambiguous. Off the top of my head:

* Lead-lined chair (Superman still says "...because I wasn't looking." so who cares)
* Paid crisis actor reveal
* Lexcorp goons deliberately murdering everyone Batman brands

Just leave it out! Augh!

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo

Schwarzwald posted:

There is definitely a current in fandom thought where being evil is simply playing the heel while being seen as embarrassing/cringe/awkward-but-not-in-the-cute-way is unforgivable, and Batman is often embarrassed in BvS.

I love his angry drive to the batcave after Superman hosed up the batmobile, Batman's such a dork.

I think Beavis is also a really good sequel to MoS. People didn't like the Pa Kent from that, but what Luthor and Bats do in BvS shows what he was worried about, imagine teenage Clark trying to deal with that.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Roth posted:

There was also the guy angry that the opening dream sequence didn’t follow the laws of physics, because even dreams needed to have some basis in reality.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I'm supposed to believe a man can fly?

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

I've seen waaay too many people argue that Superman should have tried to reason with Zod or take the fight away from the city or gouge Zods eyes out or any number of alternatives to The Snap

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
He's literally begging Zod to stop while Zod tries to murder the nearest civilians.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

My problem with Batman V Superman is the same I have with all Synder's movies, I just hate how his cinematography looks.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

Escobarbarian posted:

I think you are focusing too much on the “too layered for you simpletons” aspect of the outrageous quote. We all agree that art being complex or making a bunch of historical/political/etc. references doesn’t make it inherently good nor worthy of admiration, as what matters is how cohesively it comes together, in this case as a deconstruction of two massive IPs. The central conflict of the film, the hyped-up fight night built right into the title, is predicated on Superman’s radical love for a woman trafficking criminal. In this aspect, the theatrical cut is even more extreme than the Ultimate Cut in following Freud’s ethical critique of the “Love thy Neighbor” injunction, in eliding any attempts to humanize the totally noxious individual. This kind of thing is what Snyder is referring to when he ponders whether his approach was a possible reason for the polarized reception (Note here that he’s not talking about box office success).

As far as the Dark Knight trilogy goes, how challenging were they to the superhero/Batman mythology really? I’d say the only one that really does so is the third one which is, coincidentally, the one with the most mixed reception, with people wondering whether its too fascist, etc.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

He's literally begging Zod to stop while Zod tries to murder the nearest civilians.

A good one i saw was "just turn his head away" like why do you think the eye lasers are slowwwwwly inching their way towards that family, you think Zod is just being coy?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

2house2fly posted:

A good one i saw was "just turn his head away" like why do you think the eye lasers are slowwwwwly inching their way towards that family, you think Zod is just being coy?

He does turn zods head away tho

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
they call it the zod-box 360 because you turn it 360 degrees and walk away

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Zod of Duty

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Lol remember the big time YouTuber and SA goon who tried to argue the family got fried anyway and just doubled down every time someone corrected him

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

YggdrasilTM posted:

My problem with Batman V Superman is the same I have with all Synder's movies, I just hate how his cinematography looks.

Man of Steel looks nothing like his other movies, though.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

MacheteZombie posted:

He does turn zods head away tho

Lol

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I know how to fix the scene for everyone who hates it

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

:five:

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

https://twitter.com/NebsGoodTakes/status/1656346274986340354?s=20

The CW clearly tipping a hat to the big man.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

CelticPredator posted:

Please add this to the OP. Thanks!

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Flew all the way to Gothams abandoned warehouse district

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

lol that headbutt at 0:39.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Escobarbarian posted:

the movie’s lack of success in this way

[citation needed]

Escobarbarian posted:

the movie was considered a failure

[By who?]

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Sure. All Snyder had to do was have Supes say "I need to stay on Zod so he can't hurt civilians and figure out how to get him out of the city!" and then do everything else exactly the same.

Sure the movie is worse for it but at least some portion of the audience doesn't think Superman is secretly thinking "I don't care. I love causing destruction. I find the way this is going very good, to me personally."

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

McSpanky posted:

[citation needed]

[By who?]

It is worth remembering that, despite whatever drama from whichever fans, Beevis pulled around 870 million at the box office and was the top selling bluray for a goodly while (iirc). That's more than either of the first two GotG films or any of the Thor movies.

"People on twitter were obnoxious about it" is not an indicator of success or failure!

(As DC would come to learn to their peril...)

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 19:26 on May 11, 2023

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

MacheteZombie posted:

Flew all the way to Gothams abandoned warehouse district

One of Gotham's more desirable areas

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
I do like that about BvS. Gotham appears to be full of run down and abandoned areas despite years of him punching criminals.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

CelticPredator posted:

Well, this thread took a turn.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Right before he tries to block Zods heat vision by covering his eys but then when he throws his now wounded hands back in pain after they get burnt a bystander exclaims "Jesus Christ!"

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Sure. All Snyder had to do was have Supes say "I need to stay on Zod so he can't hurt civilians and figure out how to get him out of the city!" and then do everything else exactly the same.

Sure the movie is worse for it but at least some portion of the audience doesn't think Superman is secretly thinking "I don't care. I love causing destruction. I find the way this is going very good, to me personally."

Audiences need a shonen peanut gallery to exclaim stuff like 'he's trying to avoid damaging the city but Zod so powerful he can barely keep up!' apparently

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
Made Man of Steel more accessible:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

No Dignity posted:

Audiences need a shonen peanut gallery to exclaim stuff like 'he's trying to avoid damaging the city but Zod so powerful he can barely keep up!' apparently

Also known as the Christopher Nolan style of story-telling.

EDIT: Okay poster Alexander Hamilton beat me to this dumb joke.