Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
I think I got gains just from that op.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Does Netflix do physical releases? Would be cool to have army of the dead 4K.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Owl movie needs a 3 hour cut. It’s got too many world details to fit in 93 mins. Also more time for more bat neck snapping.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
As tech cult of personalities take over and online propaganda spreads, my love for BvS grows.

Quote is right though: BvS remains the most interesting super hero film for me. I think I like Man of Steel more, but BvS has got this intriguing depth. I mean just compare it to avengers civil war…

Also reminds me I need to finally buy the BvS 4K.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
What’s the issue with calling BvS layered?

Sure saying you didn’t like it because you didn’t think enough may not be accurate, but I see no issues with saying a movie that’s draws a lot from Arthurian legends and post 9/11 and Iraq hysteria layered.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Right I don’t think BvS has Lynch depth or anything, but I do see it as having more than most super hero films.

Which does go back to Synders main point that it may be an outlier. Obviously you can dislike the film for other reasons too including it’s ridiculous title.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Equeen posted:

The bolded statement came from people noticing some visual references to 1981's Excalibur. The biggest ones were Batman's kryptonite spear having a similar green glow to the titular sword, and Superman (King Arthur) sacrificing his life to defeat the armored abomination Doomsday (Mordred).

The whole Martha scene also plays out similar to Arthur fighting and using Excalibur to defeat Lancelot. He then realizes his error and throws Excalibur back into the lake, same with the kryptonite spear.

Doomsday functions like mordred yeah in that he is kind of Superman’s son and sin also. Lex orchestrates all this similar to Morgana. There’s more I’m sure as after all Synder loves Excalibur.

But I think the post 9/11 aspects have more to say, especially with politics today.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Oh yeah just having fun adding more references

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Without the walls of a dome, we can have peace.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
I do like that about BvS. Gotham appears to be full of run down and abandoned areas despite years of him punching criminals.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
They all had parachutes right

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
You think companies sell special Batman insurance. when he breaks lots of your bone don’t worry still covered, no deductible needed. Maybe just proof of a brand.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Zack loves various cuts.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Full penetration cut.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
What if she has some kind of star blades for arms. Would that be better.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

RBA Starblade posted:

lol

I got a "Star Blade" medal and title in Ace Combat for shooting enough planes with the laser beam, funnily enough

Nice, Tom cruise doesn’t even have that.

Hopefully some cool spaceship battles over the rebel moon!

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
What if he did a space movie where in the future shirts just don’t exist. Also the one religion is CrossFit.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
New Superman casting seems kind of boring. I don’t know anything about the guy, but if you are moving away from Cavil why not actually change it up like Snyder did with aquaman.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Yeah doesn’t Hopkins write NAR for no acting required for parts? He’s not above a paycheck.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Joke seems more about film bros and guy movies than anything personal.

The Barbie ZSJL joke is funny in that WB keeps coming back to Synderverse. In their (likely) biggest movie of the year they mention him by name instead of just moving on.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Just Snyder staying in the pop culture.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
That’s not real right

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

RBA Starblade posted:

We need less sun though the planet's too hot

Yes but if enough people go into the sun it will block it out right. Just need more people first.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
At what age should I start transitioning my children from kidz bops to Wu tang

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I thought I couldn't make Dawn of the Dead as a straight remake because the movie is social commentary and so I wanted to make a comment on the comment, you know what I mean?

https://letterboxd.com/ifccenter/story/sucker-punch-an-interview-with-zack-snyder/

Very funny Snyder interview here, right off the bat they start talking about FRANCES (1982) dir. Graeme Clifford

Good interview. It’s going to break so many brains again.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Smaug was a cool dude who just wanted some gold and a good nap under a mountain. Sure occasionally had to burn a city, but for the most part he was a strong independently wealthy dragon.

Then game of thrones came along and suddenly the dragons don’t want gold? Just sheep. And they let humans ride them.

Hobbits movie gave us best dragon at least.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Synder could use a dragon movie. Owl movie needed to be longer so we could see an owl team up to snap a dragon neck.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Snowman_McK posted:

He also had an actual dragon. In Sucker Punch. It was dope.

Oh dang that’s right. Makes sense why we have all been thinking about dragons now.

One day we will get directors cut of sucker punch.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
What is this, a hobbit moon.

Apparently Man of Steel trailer played before the first hobbit film. I think I remember that…

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
drat there’s so much movie in this trailer, robots, spider mechs, glowing swords, spaceships, kings, violins, fields of wheat, and gryphons!

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Also what were Ayn Rand’s feelings on gryphons

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Speed ramping violin shots

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Yeah watching a movie in chunks isn’t ideal, but that’s life sometimes. Though at least ZSJL had nice chapter divisions

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Yeah kids have made 3 hour movies at home impossible. Or even 2 is difficult currently. The rare long theater show is a treat.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
XCOM is all about anger management with those insanely bad rolls

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
I was going to say make a super cut of neck snaps, but is it MoS and Owl movie only? Hopefully rebel moon brings some back.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Great, now I do want a super cut

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Watching Watchmen again for first time in years, and I know one of the common criticisms is that Synder makes Rorschach too cool, but uh in the first 40 minutes he definitely doesn’t seem very stable. All of his monologues refer to all women as whores and streets are full of rabies and fornication. And just eats cold beans.

Also like how everyone just has terrible memories of the comedian as this really abusive authoritarian. BvS kind of feels like the more streamlined version of a lot of these themes that Synder was interested in.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Jack Bandit posted:

Yeah I felt that way when BVS came out too. But instead of being redundant I think they make good companion pieces.

Agreed. Watchmen and BvS are good companion pieces with BvS ending with the optimistic peace built on faith vs peace built on lies of watchmen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Skipped to a point in the video and it says Zack is pure, not a single thought going on in his head. Kind of opposite of everything being discussed after that Icelandic song reveal.