Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Halloween Jack posted:

Darkseid can kill people by looking at them and wishing they were dead. Why does he need gloves?
His greatest weakness is music, he's an uptight weirdo and probably afraid of touching stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Gal Gadot is the only one that's soured over time, but I don't blame him for choosing her. In general he's one of the best at having an individual eye for casting and clearly building up a personal rapport with people.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

The actual equation being laid out is pretty silly, but I think Morrison was trying to portray there being some underlying truth to Anti-Life. Like, Darkseid is a literal embodiment of Evil so he twists and exaggerates it, but it's fundamentally about how we can't objectively prove any meaning to our own lives. It's like, we all have these rational fears and stuff and then humans actually meet a cosmic horror that confirms "yep all your worst fears are true so get in line" and it breaks our brain.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Yeah absolutely. when I say silly in regards to something Grant Morrison did, I am not saying I don't like it.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

My issue with DKR comes in when I compare it to Grant Morrison's take on Batman. Both are willing to look at the silliness and compare their Batmen to Adam West etc. but I think Nolan leans on that as an excuse for really lazy corny stuff like Batman getting out of the Lazarus Pit. It's so much dramatic weight and time and tension in the movie that's resolved by the lamest "sometimes you need to make a leap of faith" imagery, and it feels like at best it was Bad On Purpose.

Whereas comics Batman was dealing with the exact same interrogation of his history but manages to actually come out of that with love for the character. Ending on "eh some other guy could do it better maybe" is so uninspiring that the whole trilogy comes off as a mean joke to me.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Violator posted:

IIRC in the making of book they show close ups of the Doomsday model and it had a human sized penis.
drat, it was the size of a whole human?

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

fr0id posted:

The krypton part of MoS still sucks though.
no it's good

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

shoeberto posted:

Do you sincerely believe that?
In the sense of the movie putting serious limitations on Superman's abilities I think there's a point there, but obviously they're phrasing it in a way that most people would not say is their problem.

The idea that Superman can't control outcomes, can barely tell what's going on, can't find an alternative to killing Zod, etc., that kind of "he can't just fix everything by himself" issue is core to a lot of people's problem with it I think.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

28 weeks has the epic double fakeout scare scene... a dude is doing guard duty, everything's a little too quiet, you know 100% something scary is coming... and BAM!!! it's his friend banging on a window to prank him, ok, you got me, let's move along, everything quiets down and you know something actually scary is gonna happen... and WHAM!!!!! it's the friend loving pranking him again.

I couldn't help but respect the sheer audacity of it.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

is that still Leto or is it just concept art? it's making me imagine Seann William Scott as the Joker lol

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Skullseye

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

imo trawling the depths of other sites' comments sections is lame and turns these threads more culty. they are poo poo, about any subject, and they've always been poo poo.

anyway the trailer looked cool

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

1000 words per picture, 24 frames a second... drat

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

atrus50 posted:

the existence of doomsday in bvsdojue is what stops it from being a good movie. like, lex is good enough as a villan, and the intro of the gc monster actively derails the movie

hard disagree. if you can get over the "cgi enemy = automatically bad" thing, doomsday serves some important functions:

-presents a threat that Batman is almost completely useless against. starts him down that path where he wants to help the metahumans but it's practically suicidal to do so
-gross physical embodiment of Superman's mythological status in the statue + Superman being haunted by the events of Man of Steel
-justifies all the buildup of Wonder Woman. If not for a genuine epic world-ending superpowered threat, it wouldn't matter that much that she's also there.
-sets up the idea that resurrecting Kryptonians is possible but also super dangerous
-the very first Justice League fight is one where they can't win by being strong. i dunno that seems important

Also I think it's important that Lex barely even has a plan. I like him as a villain but he's bugfuck nuts, I think it's appropriate that he's barely relevant after being saved by Superman. I guess you could say he succeeds in coming up with a plan that gets Superman killed, but I think he barely even thought it through that much.

Also also, even if you hate the character design of Doomsday, I just think the fight looks amazing in a lot of ways. The visual of Wonder Woman cutting off Doomsday's hand and it regenerating into the hosed up spike thing that ultimately kills Superman just looks wild to me

Martman fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Sep 9, 2023

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Superman Dies at the End

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Man of Steel v. Man of Bat

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I once brought up Let the Right One In in a film class and the professor completely poo poo on it. I think she was mistaking it for Twilight. There's my story about why academia is trash

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I was really not into Army of the Dead and I've been kinda distant about this one, but I did like this last trailer a lot. Obviously excited to watch it either way, I really just hope it goes balls to the wall and keeps throwing in every ridiculous idea he's ever had

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

RBA Starblade posted:

Mark Hamil was there too!
hmmm i feel like I'd remember that

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Grendels Dad posted:

If you are not careful with throwing everything at the wall, you might end up with a Jupiter Ascending.
exactly. I'm hoping Snyder was not careful with this one

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

it's crazy how a different lens can make Djimon Hounsou look like this

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Alright, the detractor shall not be destroyed... yet

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Uhh idk. He looks old man ripped, kinda like Jk Simmons, but not actually that huge. It's pretty easy to miss stuff like that depending on the clothes.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

it is pretty interesting how Disney has so polluted the waters of the Star Wars Extended Universe. people are accusing this movie of being "star wars with the serial number filed off" or whatever and I'm like "cool, a story without really lame baggage attached to it"

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

well idk about physical confrontations but wasn't the Comedian the one who totally embarrassed young Ozymandias in a flashback by going on a rant about how bullshit they all were?

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

DuhSal posted:

When Man of Steel first released I do remember feeling like it felt cut up after having watched it. Like scenes didn’t really blend or transition into each other smoothly. But after rewatching it years later and just recently I don’t feel that way anymore. I think it flows fine and not jarring in the slightest. So I dunno! Maybe it’s just an editing style that has to get used to after seeing it.
A lot of the flashbacks in MoS use transitions that remind me of Lost, where the sound and everything leads to a kind of "pop" or jarring sensation when you come back to the present. I think that does a good job of intentionally expressing how Clark is stuck thinking about his past for a lot of the movie

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Jimbot posted:

It happened whenever Bruce had a nighmare (not to be confused with his Kightmare) and when Superman is saving the child from the burning building too.
Maybe the dream was taking place in slow-motion in Bruce's mind, making it actually real-time in the movie

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I think Snyder wants to make challenging material but is also very professional about working within the system and it always leads to friction in the result

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Could superman kill a dog if it was really evil?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

RBA Starblade posted:

Batman should have invested in an XCOM squad, then maybe Beavis would have been a good movie
"If we believe there's even a one percent that shot will hit us, we have to take it as an absolute certainty"