Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

josh04 posted:

The biggest issue on Flash visually, shared with JL2017 and WW84, is that the saturation is super high to try and make it look warm and welcoming. It makes things that look normal seem otherworldly and things that look a bit off seem ridiculous.

The part where I notice it the most is Gal Gadots makeup since the saturation and make up job on JL2017 and Flash makes her look super rosy lipped and cheeked compared to ZSJL and WW and it feels like a deliberate choice to make her look approachable and not like a pissed off warrior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I was sort of on the Snyder is a hack train up until the meme that he's an objectivist/MOS is an objectivist film started going round where I started thinking "wait that makes no loving sense"

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

B&W means more attention is drawn to light and silhouette rather than colour and Snyder uses both really well.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Snyders visuals are only good because they're based off comic books. No there is zero difference between a static panel and a cinematic shot don't tell me there is.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

2house2fly posted:

What makes that critique not work for me is that the violence in the comic is cool as hell

Indeed I've found myself in this argument several times. "Snyder made Roschrach look too cool" - no, Roscharch is cool. By the standards of comic book anti heroes at least he's absolutely crushing it. Anyone who's ever read a Batman comic in their life should be able to comprehend that idea of a guy jumping from rooftops and breaking villains faces is very radical. The point is that while Rorschach is exceptional at doing that is he's an absolute wreck at every aspect of being a human being outside of that.

The last time I saw this discussion the person claimed that in the comic the "Im not locked in here with you, youre locked in here with me" wasn't said on screen like it was in the movie, it was rather related second hand by another character who'd heard it. But that makes it even cooler in the comic! He said some poo poo that immediately became legend to everyone in the vicinity.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Dec 3, 2023

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Also theres this line that gets passed around a lot about how Alan Moore hates Roschrach fans but if you watch the interview he says it in thats not quite his point. His specific beef is people who come up to him and say 'Roschrach is literally me' which is an insane level of lacking self awareness. But the idea that youre a rube and chud if you enjoy his creation who's depicted pretty sympathetically at many points doesn't ring true to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

On a comics forum I used to be once someone posted a thread titled "How would superman react to seeing a sex worker on the street?" and the responses were fascinating because it was impossible to answer it without the person answering saying a lot about their own values.

Snowman_McK posted:

I don't think it's a coincidence that the only two interesting and popular evil superman stories (Homelander and Omni-man, no one gives a poo poo about Brightburn) both believe they're the good guy, doing the right thing, albeit for very different reasons and expressing that in very different ways.

I'd disagree on Homelander tbh. The interesting aspect about Homelander as a character is that he's a Superman who doesn't really give a poo poo. He's certainly not a good guy, but he lacks the focus and ambition to really have an evil scheme either.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Mar 17, 2024