Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Lol what a wretched website, makes iO9 look readable

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I don't believe there's any world where the Theatrical version did well. The Ultimate, if pitched properly as a "blockbuster epic", might have made it. Maybe.

The most damning thing I can say about the theatrical version of BvS is that once I saw the Ultimate cut I had no desire to ever watch the theatrical version again and felt it was strictly inferior cinema, which is not the case with literally any other director cut I've watched (for an easy example, the Aliens director's cut showing the colony before Ripley arrives undercuts some of the tension when she actually arrives, so it's not strictly an upgrade). So, no, I don't think theatrical has the juice, ever.

Theatrical did well money wise. It busted that block good!

While I enjoy some of the stuff ultimate adds back in theatrical is superior because it's more ambiguous and dream like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Escobarbarian posted:

Some cool posts up in here! I definitely get what you all are going for now. I still don’t agree that it’s why the movie was considered a failure and I will always have major qualms with that way of thinking but I can happily admit the comparisons and metaphors go deeper than I was aware of.

"This is how it starts, the fever, that turns good men, sickos"

CelticPredator posted:

I know how to fix the scene for everyone who hates it

Lol

Alexander Hamilton posted:

Made Man of Steel more accessible:

Lmao

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Bogus Adventure posted:

I mean, they even included that kind of banter in the actual movie!

Batman: It's okay. I'm a friend of your son's.

Martha Kent: I figured. The cape?

I never liked that bit, it's way more forced than the "is she with you?" quips

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Name Change posted:

"Firefly, except good" appears to be the concept.

Just by trying to make good capeshit Zack inevitably set up Joss to kill his own career and now Zack's remaking Whedon's baby, how do nerds not love this guy??

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Saying MoS was written for it's own sake is an attempt to avoid saying it wasn't written for me, specifically. It's a dumb way to give a childish sentiment a veneer of objectivity, since it's just as nonsensical

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Fimmel's character is the only one that's interesting or has a personality, but the movie is extremely bad yeah

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Snowman_McK posted:

To briefly return to Warcraft, it could be used to teach the importance of actually adapting source material. The Orcs are transplanted wholesale from the game, complete with their bizarre proportions. They actually look pretty good, which makes sense since there are short CGI segments in the game. The humans aren't, though, not entirely. They have the big goofy armour, but on normally proportioned humans. Aside from looking stupid (and it does look really stupid) it also results in humans who a) look like they can't move or fight and b) probably actually couldn't do any serious stuntwork. Which means that the war aspect of 'warcraft' has to be on the backburner since none of your human actors can actually do any stunts. As a result, you have to spend a lot more time on the lore, and the lore is really loving stupid. Much more noticeably stupid than if it was at least punctuated by some decent fight scenes or big setpieces.

A better Warcraft movie is either complete CGI or more of its own thing, able to adapt the designs, characters and themes into something that works in the context of a live action film.

There's also the woman orc who is literally the below meme to a genuinely embarassing extent.

The human knights move and fight and do stunts in their armor fine - it's not real armor or combat so Jones used all sorts of movie magic. The sfx and design aren't really the problem with warcraft, it's the story - of course it's stupid, that's inevitable, but it's also very boring, which is unforgivable.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

That's been the MCU's theme since at least Thor 1

Snowman_McK posted:

I've watched the film and no they don't.

gently caress, what a poo poo snipe. sorry.

So did I, turn your w/e on, etc etc

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

It's those dang Bernie bros Hank hill

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Darko posted:

It's funny that there were certain posters here who were huge supporters of Armond White who just quietly forgot him. I'm still "friends" with him on FB just for the train wreck and he tries so, so hard to fit in with the Right Wing.

It's sad. I used to stand Walter Chaw too. Rip to all the critic's whose brains got smoothed by the culture wars

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Detective No. 27 posted:

I ultimately do agree with McCloud, it boils down to an eyeroll in the grand scheme of things. But the specificity of it is pretty galling, especially since this is one of the last films mostly produced under Toby Emmerich of the old regime. Emmerich's feeble "from Hell's heart I stab at thee."

As I've said before, one of the reasons ZSJL is a giant sore spot for these producers/executives is because it's undeniably proof that they lost that pop culture war. Superhero movies have been what powers the Hollywood blockbuster machine for decades. 2008 is the flashpoint for the modern era starting with The Dark Knight and Iron Man starting the MCU. But I can't think of another major superhero movie that has the director's name in the title. It's not Justice League. It's Zack Snyder's Justice League. There would never have been demand for a Snyder Cut if it weren't for executive meddling prior to and after Autumn Snyder's tragedy. It would have just come out, succeeded or bombed, got it's two sequels, and Snyder would have said his peace and moved on to other projects. But all the petty fuckery behind the scenes only served to increase the director's popularity and as a result, made him a pop culture icon. And as a bonus, it ruined the career of rapist and confessed child murderer, Joss Whedon.

I mean let's be real: ZSJL is a sore spot for a lot of fans too, it's not just top-down. Remember, until very recently, Whedon was hugely popular. And his style/tone of storytelling still is; see the Russos, Gunn et al

And Snyder style is such an obvious rejection of all that

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

teagone posted:

You say this as if Snyder fans haven't already been labeled as such already.

Yea, this is why I compared it to "toxic" Bernie Bros earlier.

You gotta make peace with the fact that some people are always going to hold onto a disingenuous slander, probably because that's all they have. These generally aren't people capable of or willing to make genuine critiques lol

So clap back or turn the other cheek, but don't let em get ya down!

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

And it's not like haters are always clear about what their actual problems with Snyder's interpretation of Superman even are! When it's total falsehoods like "never smiles" or "not in color" we kinda have to guess at what they mean (the tone/plot or the aesthetic, etc)

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

LesterGroans posted:

I'm excited for Rebel Moon.

I want to see more rejected Star Wars pitches fully realized. Like when David Fincher said the only Star Wars he'd be interested in directing was a Droid slave revolt. Gimme that poo poo.

https://youtu.be/RvBhQGySEwY

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

The ambiguity in the theatrical is more over whether characters (both "hero" and ordinary) are justified in their actions than their motivations, which are the same in either cut.

I prefer it to the ultimate cut (and to most superhero movies lol) for that reason!

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Beavis still made lots of money but it doesn't matter, anymore than popularity does who the gently caress cares about that poo poo

All that matters for a movie is that it's good

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Lindsay Ellis seems like a nice lady who means well and I like her sense of humour, but lol, lmao that so many peeps think her hobbit vids feature any analysis beyond saying "this scene from hobbit 2 lacks tension, whereas this scene from lotr 2 is very tense, the end no elaboration"

That save the cat idiot at least tried to explain the reasoning behind his rules!

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Assepoester posted:

She spends a whole video talking about how WB screwed over New Zealand workers, she's cool

Sure, it's great that she brings that to the attention of her audience, although she makes the strange choice to downplay or ignore the head of wingnut studios role in all that (he was the one lobbying the government and media).

She also never draws any connection between the irl production and the finished films, even though analyzing the latter is the purported point of the whole video series!

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

What do you mean by "the hobbits set a low bar for themselves"? Expectations were extremely high for the prequels to LOTR, for everyone - cast, crew, audiences! The finished films definitely feature structures like set-up and payoff, so what?

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Snowman_McK posted:

As in, it aims to be a very straightforward genre film. It's not trying to challenge conventions, narrative or stylistic. It's not a measure of quality.

Sure, the hobbits are straightforward fantasy. Not sure how you're reaching the second conclusion there, all the framerate stuff and increasingly complex sfx would seem to qualify.

At some point you're gonna have to lay out this formula, otherwise we won't know how Desolation of Smog (or Tekken or w/e) "fail" it.

RBA Starblade posted:

Well, they aren't very tall

It's Peter "White's Only" Jackson's fault the hobbits can't jump

Bogus Adventure posted:

Wherever they set the bar, they really missed clearing it. Those three movies somehow made me like LOTR less.

That's understandable. I've never quite understood fans who feel the hobbits are some sort of departure from lotr; style, tone, amount of character+ plot changes from the books, etc - they're the same!

It's Verminthrax Pejorative and I bet Zack Snyder would agree with me (I know that Guillermo Del Toro does) ;)

💯

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

"ok that's not good!" should become the new Wilhelm scream

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

I think it's just concept art

SWS would make a good Joker tho

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Sounds like originally Enchantress & Incubus were Apocalyptians that got left behind after the first invasion was repulsed.

And it makes sense for Chapo Crime Clown to join the space demons, then switch to the resistance once they've wrecked earth. That's why he's tha Joker babee

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Only Kindness posted:

I mean, if I'm David Ayer (just checked, I'm not, inshallah) the first thing I say is "lose the Damaged tattoo".

Why? He possesses awareness of his condition, and all his tats are crass self references.

Mr. Apollo posted:

Mexican Cartel Instagram Joker was cool. I don’t know why he broke so many nerds’ brains.

They can't even admit that "upsetting fans, deliberately" is the most Joker thing to do!

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Only Kindness posted:

I get what's behind it, but first, it's simply a poo poo graphic. (I know it's supposed to be, but, Poe's law.) Second, the "intent", as posted by Ayer himself, was not to have it. So I ask, why was it there? Did he have no say over his own movie, his own character designs?

I think we also need to take into account that Ayer is not always the clearest tweeter on the subject, he's always extremely brief and often cheeky or sarcastic. Not quite Lucas levels of tricksy, but iirc he claimed once that his version doesn't have a pop music soundtrack - but looking at most of his other films, while considering the amount of coordination and preparation that clearly went into the accompanying music videos, that's obviously very unlikely to be true.

Dave almost certainly approved of all the character designs (his new little Joker image still fits perfectly with the movie's aesthetic), much to CB nerds and subsequently WB's chagrin! He obviously didn't have full control, none of these directors do, even Nolan.

All the more reason to #releasetheayercut imo, it will clear things up! Maybe even destroy some careers as a bonus lol

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

You can clearly see what's going on in those new Trek gifs - what key details are being blocked? I can understand finding them distracting, but like with Rebel Moon's griffon jump, they don't really obscure anything, you can see what's happening fairly easily :shrug:

Lens flares aren't the problem in Abrams' stuff.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

I will say that if Frazetta was alive he would have absolutely done the poster.

Huh...now that I think about it that might be a fun challenge.

I think Boris Vallejo is still alive, probably old as balls now tho no idea if he still draws

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

It misses the point of the comic!

(Please don't ask me what the point of the comic was)

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

well why not posted:

the time is now old man

Yeah there's several good essays/theses online about his oeuvre, I outta dig through my old bookmarks

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

checkplease posted:

Remember Army of the Dead is an official
Oscar winner (fan favorite).

Lol no way

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

My toddler loved the night at bald mtn sequence, but he did cry at Tom & Jerry: The Nutcracker lol

Edit: Sometimes art just hits you different

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Whoa is that the seat of a woman's pants in view??? Giving me flashbacks to some of the old thread's greatest hits lol

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

"these are the original originals, they should probably be in some sort of thing"

Yes Zack, your OG Ninja turtles comics should probably be bagged with backing at the very least, not just stuffed into your office shelf goddamn lmao

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Fangz posted:

The other way round. Rorschach wants nuclear Armageddon to be back on the table. Even Manhattan refuses to accept the atrocity that would ensue if Rorschach would be allowed to live. That's why he kills him.

The entire story is really about the value of humans as compromised, flawed, unexpected individuals. As the one that ultimately rejects that part of himself, Rorschach is the villain of the story. Even Veidt is humanised by his doubts at the end. Rorschach is turned into a bloody smear once he makes the Never Compromise speech because to Manhattan, the objective observer, he's just not that interesting any more.

:wtf:

Flying Zamboni posted:

You're right I forgot about this scene:

:perfect:

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Guy A. Person posted:

I've said this before but we never really got past the "you expected yellow spandex?" joke from X-Men in 2000, from a script that was "punched up" by Joss Whedon. Like sure, now we've gotten to the point where super heroes will actually wear some of their iconic costumes, but the movies have to be constantly letting you know that they are in on the joke, that hey we all get it, this is silly looking poo poo!

It's one thing to embrace the campiness, but what the MCU has created is this tone where everyone has to be joking in the most "mugging for the camera" way to undercut not just the emotional aspects of the movie but even the already comical aspects of the movie like "holy poo poo this guy's actual name is Octavius and he cosplays as an octopus!" when like, duh, that was already a joke.

Imagine being worse at writing jokes than Stan Lee

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Mr. Apollo posted:

BvS only had 4 shots in slo-mo that I can think of: the Waynes deaths, the Batmobile hitting Superman, the Batmobile crashing through the boat, and Luthor entering the Kyrptonian ship.

it's fascist to have more than 2, snyderrrrrr :argh:

- direct quote from the seminal work for understanding movies, Save The Cat

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

No Dignity posted:

It is insane that Netflix just voluntarily Snyder Cut'd themselves. Christ you gave him the money already just let the man cook

Studios put out inferior cuts as a matter of course, I'm just happy that Zack is at a point in his career where he has the clout to ensure they release a proper cut at some point. Like Ridley Scott and Napoleon.

I hope Gareth Edwards can get a fuller version of The Creator one day, that one felt like a potentially great one cut down to merely pretty good

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

glasnost toyboy posted:

My dude, it's a perfectly reasonable take to see Rebel Moon and think it sucked. It's a boring mess.

For a quote-unquote normal viewer, sure. But they were talking about movie critics/nerd media reviewers, the vast majority whom are proven hacks and Disney adults.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Ooo thank you for sharing this

I have one irl buddy who's both the hugest Nolan-head and Snyder-hater, this will get some fun reactions out of him! He was unseemly gleeful when updating me with rebel moon's tomato score (he doesn't believe me when I say I don't care :shrug:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I mean there's that scene in the first one where he mows down a group of Joker's henchmen with machine guns mounted on the batmobile

Rubber henchmen, honest