Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
This thread reminded me of this short he directed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebXB0lBoaQ0

Did you know that before directing movies Zack Snyder directed music videos? It's something everyone in this thread probably knows, but can you really say you know? Now you can:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWkPJgyO8sY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7T-4GTBohGk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDdQcfz6pbo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrrE5bCA5lg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZyGkpXoyWY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJTKGRcQvvE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pY_WBZ5unC8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOuSxal8pf4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I really liked how this is its own thing but also feels like a continuation of some of Man of Steel's score.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

The presentation of the scenes of Silas' recorded talk to Cyborg and the way Cyborg crushes the tape right as Silas says he's now going to speak to him as a father early on and then reassembles it to get the rest of the message at the end and how Cyborg's story and Silas' speech and his explanation to the league about how the mother boxes work and the way that paralleled the rest of the league forming (and how we get like an evil version of it from Lex in one of the epilogues) was loving awesome. After what a nothing character Cyborg was in the poo poo version of this movie from a few years earlier it was crazy to see how much he was the dramatic heart of the movie.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 07:01 on May 3, 2023

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Right before he tries to block Zods heat vision by covering his eys but then when he throws his now wounded hands back in pain after they get burnt a bystander exclaims "Jesus Christ!"

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

*batman branding a criminal*

Criminal, "well that happened"

Daily Planet headline spins out "MANIAC VIGILANTE HAS HIS OWN BRAND OF JUSTICE -by Lois Lane"

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Snowman_McK posted:

IF HE REACHES THE CENTRAL HUB THE WATER PRESSURE WILL BLOW.

*repeat six times through the otherwise really good climax until my brain melts.*

loving hell what a snipe. Sorry guys.

They should have had that guy do a commentary track for all three movies where he explains every single scene.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Alexander Hamilton posted:

Bad guys begging to get branded so they don’t go bankrupt paying their hospital bills

In the Marvel comics people can buy Hulk Insurance as a separate thing for their home/etc. so I assume there's something like that in DC too, though I doubt any company would cover damages that are found to fall under the category of acts of Zod.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

Lol I like that revving his engine and looking cool is being read as his "surrender now and just walk away"

BvS Ultimate Edition fan cut where the only change is that the beginning flashback is the Wayne family leaving the theater after watching Maximum Overdrive instead of Excalibur.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Dark Knight would have been 10,000x better if it was the same movie as it was but the Joker's truck was the Green Goblin truck from Maximum Overdrive.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

I’m guessing the goon didn’t explain it well but I’m assuming it’s like Barry going through some sort of time Doofy thing where he’s slow mo-ing around everything and he sees all these different universes in small snapshots and a few he peaks in closer to see them.

I doubt it’s a literal slideshow lol

I know it won't be but I'd mark out if a $$$ budget action movie just had a single moment like the way this person being kicked across a room is conveyed in the film Death Powder at 24m48s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QB19B4sJf5s

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Grendels Dad posted:

Yeah, the genius move was to take Eisenberg and put him in the Luthor role, not to invent that kind of image for Eisenberg. Many people at the time thought Snyder intended (and failed, naturally) to ape the Joker.

Yeah the genius of it is how hyper competent Luthor is overall (and how physically imposing he can be also even without his power armor stuff) in other recent media vs. how if the Snyder movies were "what if this poo poo happened in the real world and stuff actually mattered" then it's taken to the correct reality that guys like Luthor are closer to Eisenberg's portrayal or Edward Norton in Glass Onion and such.

I liked that painting of the late Luthor Senior being the movie also, you know in like two seconds that like there's a dozen Luthor senior donated wings in several hospitals and he has a library named after him and has some visionary captain of industry enlightened business god reputation despite being just as much of an irredeemable sack of poo poo.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Jun 5, 2023

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I already know I'm going to be just a little disappointed by Rebel Moon because stuff like this and Snyder directing it is making my hype level for it way beyond reasonable lol

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Okay that's just plain Warhammer as gently caress. Cavill must have gotten Snyder into it.

Yeah I'm getting major Necromunda vibes from all the character descriptions, even the sort of space western way it was described in earlier stuff reminded me of the Outlanders book for it and the shootout scenarios (though I know modern Necromunda has generally removed a lot of western feeling stuff from the game).

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Warhammer comparisons ARE kinda almost cheating given Warhammer steals from everything, but specifically having Imperium and also that giant loving gun there.

The Blood Axes are probably relatively incidental.

Yeah if it was just the Imperium I wouldn't say it was so but that plus the general heavy metalness of it heck yeah

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

zsjl darkseid is a dracula steppenwolf is a renfield where's my prize

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Schwarzwald posted:

Nowadays comic book super heroes are thought of as their own distinct thing but it is useful not to forget that they're a straight progression of pulp stories, penny dreadfuls, and such.

Yeah Batman especially the early comics with like Dr. Death and stuff were a strong mix of crime story pulp with gothic horror pulp and that interplay of old and new was part of the appeal. A lot of those early Batman and Spectre stories were extremely similar to already existing pulp and horror stories that you'd read or hear on the radio about supernatural killers that have to be tracked down or whatever paranormal stuff is going on. But all the superheroes back then took from this stuff pretty readily.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jun 10, 2023

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

Inception is way more fun than sucker punch is

Yeah I love Snyder but Sucker Punch, I appreciated what he was going for but eh.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

McCloud posted:

The one canon event I'm willing to accept

Also that reminds me of David Sandbergs best tweet

https://twitter.com/ponysmasher/status/1405969227467706372?t=Hr1-rJQk7XG9EljfnpI1JQ&s=19

I get if WB/DC wasn't happy with that but I was stunned it got taken down lol. Batman travelled the world for years supposedly mastering like every skill out there? Guess he was full of poo poo.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

AccountSupervisor posted:

6 months on MoS vs two weeks on Flash

I just saw Flash and holy loving poo poo if you told me he was on it for two minutes I'd find that more believable. I mean he has some lines and some screen time but so much of this movie is all CG it's insane how bad it all is. Like all the Zod/Kryptonian stuff looked way better in Man of Steel, how is that even possible.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

teagone posted:

When The Flash drops onto VOD, I'm going to host a discord stream to showcase the proverbial nail in the coffin for WB's (not Snyder's) DCEU vision so that we can all laugh at how stupid the whole thing is.

You seriously have no idea how true this is. This movie is abominable imo. And I was prepared ahead of time for the hosed up cameos of huge megaspoilers I guess George Reeves and Christopher Reeve but I wasn't prepared for the even more insulting pointlessness of them. Like if that's the case then why even include them other than to be ghoulish.

Like it starts out laughably stupid and then it keeps, like, getting worse and worse, by the halfway point it feels like it's been two hours which is bad for a movie called The Flash lol

Also there's at least one character who's likeness they put in without even informing the actor, what the gently caress is that poo poo?

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Jun 20, 2023

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Grendels Dad posted:

Someone here or a similar thread mentioned the name of the phenomenon in which all experienced workers are gone within a relatively short time without training new people so the new people have to figure out problems that were already solved. I can't find it and my Googlin is weak.

It makes Everything Everywhere All At Once even more impressive to me because weren't the effects in that notably done by beginners teaching themselves as they went along?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Aipsh posted:

I remember yonks ago seeing the first trailer for Man of Steel in the cinema. It gave the impression the film was centred entirely on a young Clarke, dreaming of flying and helping in small scale disasters like a good old Boy Scout. It looked deeply, deeply boring. Especially given the previous superman film was superman returns, in which the climatic action scene was Brandon lifting a rock for three minutes.

Then a couple of months later the second or third trailer came out and it was Krypton blowing the gently caress up and buildings being blown to smithereens by lasers to the loudest, most energetic music I’d ever heard. Then the film came out and it was, in my estimation, a brief opening and then an hour and a half of an extended fight scene. It loving ruled.

I remember this really well because when that trailer dropped me and a lot of other people everywhere were suddenly like wtf this looks metal as hell hell yes lol because it also had the brief part of Clark's vision of drowning in skulls and stuff.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Ammanas posted:

this is an incredibly good trailer although i didnt like the 'it stands for hope' mic static cut gag back then and i still dont. too on the nose

[Martian Manhunter bumping the mic] "NO fuckin' way this guy gets a superhero name before I do"

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I know I'm on the tail end of this conversation and it's already in the rear view butt I have to say there's no need to dump on someone's post like this.

Robot Style posted:

It's a domino effect of cutting down Cyborg's role. If Cyborg doesn't have any of his family/backstory scenes, then there's no reason to give him the scene inside the motherboxes. If there's no motherbox scene, then there's no reason to power him up. If he's not going to be powered up, then there's no reason for Flash to be doing laps around the city to build the charge, and they have to give him something else to do.

I really was stunned at how central to the movie's themes Flash and Cyborg's characters were in Snyder's movie, it made me hate Joss Whedon even more than I already did lol

Also I don't know if it was intentional but I appreciated the extra struggle to break up the boxes compared to how in the first battle Zeus just like struts up to it and pulls them apart. Like the literal, actual gods are basically cheating levels of power even compared to the current Justice League.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jun 25, 2023

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

well why not posted:

I'm pretty sure Hemsworth is fully on-board with Taikia's slant.

Yeah IIRC Hemsworth is more for the comedic approach. I mean he's got genuine good timing with that stuff when it's done well (i.e., NOT most of Thor Ragnarok) but I get it.

Maybe he can get Snyder to direct commercial/presentation for his fitness app or something.

EDIT: Nothing against the app I never tried it myself, supposedly it's a really good selection of stuff.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Snowman_McK posted:

There's honestly probably a PHD's worth of material in our collective reaction to Man of Steel. The anticipation before it (finally, he punches things!) then the immediate reaction (I saw a lot of people who recited the take that it didn't work because he was too concerned with 'realism' a take they'd recycled from the Nolan films) and then the absolute brain melt insular takes where people hated an entirely different movie to the one that came out. I can't remember another film that produced such weird takes, that broke people's brains to the same extent. I get not liking films, but people got this filter or search/replace function in their mind when it came to Man of Steel. You know the stuff, things about how Superman doesn't save anyone or the 'maybe' scene.

I remember especially the years long clarion call after Superman Returns of WE JUST WANT TO SEE SUPERMAN PUNCH A ROBOT REALLY REALLY HARD and holy poo poo does Man of Steel deliver on that with the world engine scene. Also I like how it puts him in the middle of a tornado esque thing like his dad but he makes that final choice of humanity over Krypton after him super perceiving Perry White and that other guy staying to help Jenny out of the wreckage.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Avengers is totally bloodless, triumphant, and the tone is "they're winning". Man of Steel's tone is apocalyptic, messy, and the tone is "he's losing".

At that time especially if it was the EXACT same movie but Superman said "You're a real pain the neck!" before snapping Zod's neck people would have loved it.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Grendels Dad posted:

So what is it that awaits, Zack? A new universe or a new galaxy?

A new Moon.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Grendels Dad posted:

So what is it that awaits, Zack? A new universe or a new galaxy?

A new Moon.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I forget the main orc guy but he was a case study in "a stock character with enough extra trappings to keep my interest." And the movie just kills his rear end dead for no real reason!

The movie coming up in this thread made me watch it for the first time yesterday, what a shitpile. But I agree, for most of the runtime I was thinking it would be better if instead of it being Warcraft 1 ORCS VS. HUMANS it was just a movie about all the orc stuff because that was a way better executed story. I agree Someone mentioned that Travis Fimmel is miscast but I think he's just going above and beyond every other human actor in it.

There's a lot of points where the actors are trapped just sitting or standing facing each other spouting exposition but he's the only one that really gets into it body language-wise. You can tell they were trying to actively avoid it or something too because there's a ton of talking head kind of shots where you can tell he and whoever he's acting across are communicating with each other much more naturally because of how they're moving but the shots are so close up like the camera was actively fighting against the performances.

Basically his character was the only one that came off as kind of genuine when everyone else was a video game cutscene incarnate.

From what I read Duncan Jones' cut of the movie was 40 minutes longer but I don't think 40 minutes more of what we experienced would make for a better movie unless it's like an Alien 3 style every individual scene was more fleshed out kind of thing AND there's more story and not just a large amount of deleted scenes.

The CG generally is really is good across the board and holds up well to me.

Also I gotta say, like, ALL the comedy attempts fell completely flat, like dang.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jul 3, 2023

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Xealot posted:

That was part of the issue, too, though: every human character, including the king and the Saruman-ish traitor, read as under 40, recently groomed, and fairly-to-extremely attractive. It felt like cosplayers doing a fan film. The CG orcs worked because they were the only part with any texture or gravitas at all.

I like the WC games fine, but I loved Diablo 1 & 2 more than anything as a kid. The WC movie was so off-putting and lovely, I never want to see Blizzard adapt Diablo to anything, just to preserve its memory.

For real, a Diablo (even just a Diablo 1!) movie or miniseries could whip rear end but there's no way Hollywood would allow that.

We need more fantasy horror in general.

A no-nonsense hard R rated Dredd or The Raid-esque fantasy movie where you get 30 minutes of solid build up of small stuff and setting the stage with a very small cast followed by 70 minutes of violent asskicking to the bottom of the dungeon+revelations about The Dark Lord would rule.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

GoldStandardConure posted:

Diablo 1 and it would need to be low dialogue, minimalist movie (but still violent as gently caress), otherwise it will get bogged down in the Diablo 2 onwards bullshit of Decard Cain saying 'horadric' nine times in a single sentence.

Yeah like I always loved Conan the Barbarian but the more fantasy movies I see the more and more I seriously respect it for its pacing and having entire scenes that have no dialogue at all.

For real someone give Panos Cosmatos $100,000,000 and a longplay of Diablo 1 and let him go to town.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Correct.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

Definitely check out Conquest if you haven't seen it. I think it's right up your alley.

I loving love Conquest :hfive:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Hopefully their people never run into this guy

https://www.ndtv.com/world-news/man-slaps-molten-metal-with-bare-hand-old-video-baffles-twitter-2856784

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

you gotta be more specific lmao

The one with the insanely bad AI generated opening credits, Secret Invasion. From what I read scenes specifically of her and Samuel L. Jackson together are really good because of them but the show in general is a turd.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

teagone posted:

:supaburn: lol

I added spoiler tags and a strikethrough, does that help? Lmao.

People are going to be so pissed when they see it lol

Literally the only good things about it was how well they replicated some of the Batman '89 Wayne Manor

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Assepoester posted:

People take their little kids to these PG-13 superhero toy commercials all the time, so of course they're gonna take their kids to this PG-13 toy commercial

lol still that reminds me there was some big Twitter Person going on about how Multiverse of Madness should have been rated R I guess because it was like a regular PG-13 movie and not Disney PG-13

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Zack Snyder is a great director and his version of Justice League whips rear end but just reading about that joke still made me chuckle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I still can't believe how hyped Firefly was vs. how not into it overall I was. I still knew some people sort of recently that were still like demanding a second season or whatever.