Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Guy A. Person posted:

Is the thread title an actual quote cause lol

Nroo posted:

I hated Man of Steel for years until I finally saw it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

The 'Dome may be gone but the 'Dome lives forever.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3880957&pagenumber=139&perpage=40

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

wyoming posted:

Looking forward to Snyder giving us a Star Wars that fucks.

Reading Heavy Metal at a certain age just puts a "horny sci-fi" genre imprint in your brain that never really goes away - it simply lies dormant until exploited by Luc Besson or, presumably, Zachary Snyder.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I think what they were going for was way more obvious in the Ultimate Cut. That's on the studio.

I also think that if you are going with a layered and nuanced cape movie you're going to need to be ready for backlash, doubly so if it's with Superman who has a huge audience of people who don't pay attention to the character at all but consider themselves invested in him. The overreaction was also on the studio.

That's about it. It's Twitter poo poo stirring otherwise and I don't care.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Talk about bad faith but hey, that's Twitter for you.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

CelticPredator posted:

BvS would do well now I think since people are really over the MCU’s style

I don't believe there's any world where the Theatrical version did well. The Ultimate, if pitched properly as a "blockbuster epic", might have made it. Maybe.

The most damning thing I can say about the theatrical version of BvS is that once I saw the Ultimate cut I had no desire to ever watch the theatrical version again and felt it was strictly inferior cinema, which is not the case with literally any other director cut I've watched (for an easy example, the Aliens director's cut showing the colony before Ripley arrives undercuts some of the tension when she actually arrives, so it's not strictly an upgrade). So, no, I don't think theatrical has the juice, ever.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

YggdrasilTM posted:

My problem with Batman V Superman is the same I have with all Synder's movies, I just hate how his cinematography looks.

Man of Steel looks nothing like his other movies, though.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Sure. All Snyder had to do was have Supes say "I need to stay on Zod so he can't hurt civilians and figure out how to get him out of the city!" and then do everything else exactly the same.

Sure the movie is worse for it but at least some portion of the audience doesn't think Superman is secretly thinking "I don't care. I love causing destruction. I find the way this is going very good, to me personally."

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Just a reminder that BvS's Batman gives an opportunity to surrender. It's true he annihilates fools in that car chase but he starts it by revving his engine and looking cool. If any of those guys had run out of their cars with their hands up or just pulled over and hit their hazards they would have been ok. His MO is very much escalation.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

MacheteZombie posted:

Lol I like that revving his engine and looking cool is being read as his "surrender now and just walk away"

Well it's also part of being a Snyder comic book character, and I was being a little tongue-in-cheek (pulling over and putting their hazards on ;))

I don't think he kills anybody when he steals the kryptonite back from Luthor? You seem them being stretchered out, not in body bags.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Sci fi Seven Samurai? Zachy baby please don't screw this up. PLEASE!!!!

edit: I just saw that there's eight warriors. That about sums it up.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Luke gets a robot hand. Snyder laughs heartily. "Just one?"

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

checkplease posted:

What if she has some kind of star blades for arms. Would that be better.

Picture a molten metal sword. Picture what it does to things it hits. Now picture a lightsaber and what it does to things it hits.

It's the same dang thing!

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Okay that's just plain Warhammer as gently caress. Cavill must have gotten Snyder into it.

Nah it's totally a result of his background. If you were a straight guy growing up in the 80s reading Heavy Metal and watching action movies and reading comics and playing 80s video games you just naturally create Warhammer type nonsense. If it was the early 80s it was mercenary types like Rambo doing army poo poo and after Aliens and Robocop it was dudes in power armor doing army poo poo.

You can even see this in the books. The early Warhammer stuff is a book called Rogue Trader where the PCs are parties of wandering space adventurers doing adventure type poo poo and trying to stay alive. Then Aliens and Robocop happen and it's glorious space marines for the Emperor (with a sort of "isn't this crazy? wow haha this is totally fascist") then Iraq War 1 happens and it's glorious space marines for the Emperor (with full throated "these guys rule!")

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Superman is Dr. Jeckyll/Mr. Hyde, about a duality of identity and the push/pull of altruism vs. selfishness, and this is why Bad Guy Superman stories are so frequently written and so easy to execute.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Snowman_McK posted:

If there's any CGI industry goons here, I'd genuinely love them to explain what's going on with the Flash. Something about every big effects shot from it that I've seen has been...off. Don't know how to explain it but it's off. like, not just in the sense of it not looking realistic, but looking straight up at odds with reality. It's a shame that it isn't being used to depict 'non-euclidean geometry' because if it was intentional, it's use of perspective and motion would be unsettling in a cool way instead of leaving you wondering what kind of hellish production process it had.

We had a VFX goonster in another thread tell us that what's happened: Disney needing 2.5k effects shots per movie distorted the entire industry into an international churn and burn model, so now they're grabbing anyone and everyone overseas and working them until the quit. The entire industry is now "beginners trying their best", which is why stuff looks demonstrably worse than 10 years ago.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I got Jedi Survivor for free, and it ran so incredibly badly on my PC that it basically put me off buying EA games forever. If I had actually PAID for that I would have been livid.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I mean, Jedi Survivor is really interesting to me, because it has great graphics, they really did a good story, it's a worthy successor to the Dark Forced/Jedi Knight series (you even get a blaster to use with your lightsaber, if you want!)

But despite the fact that's it's a single player game with no DLC they have this little dopamine drip collectibles system with 3 different resources and different shops to spend them for different cosmetics, like it's some kind of free-to-play nightmare.

It really is weird how AAA devs are total cargo cult now, they're unable to stop themselves from putting poo poo from other games into their own titles, and now AAA gaming has become synonymous with Ubisoft's open-world slop trough. Very sad.

Indie gaming is also doing the same thing - their production value is either pixel art or Double Fine Lite and they're constantly jamming roguelike elements into their games - but at least they actually have some diversity in genre over there.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Only Kindness posted:

Jesus H Christmas I had never seen this trailer before.

Never forget what they took from you.

I've said it a dozen times (like that one goon and the Margot Robbie colonoscopy) butt I consider this to be the greatest Superman short film ever made.
If for some weird reason somebody could only see one piece of Superman media this would be a contender.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

You know it's really odd to me that a lot of discourse around Superman is that he should be so easy to write a good story about. His comics have always struggled (I started reading in the 80s, after a reboot - and saw at least 4 more reboots, all of which fizzled), of the original run of 4 films half of them are between bad and terrible, his 2006 reboot was a snooze and a failure, his 2013 reboot pissed off a certain segment of people so hard they basically went nova and at least some are still steamed a decade later.

Really good Superman stories are so rare that you probably know them all. Like, if I told you about Superman: Doomed, would you have any idea what I was talking about?

At this point you have to wonder why the character has the reputation as sort of "dial-a-hero" easy guy to write a story about. It's clearly really hard to walk that line, to write a story with enough optimism, power, and lightness to satisfy a personally invested minority who are going to go white hot supernova if their needs aren't met while still actually having something that works as a compelling narrative for everyone else not in that group.

I guess what I'm saying is that I would not want to be the guy who has to say "oh yes, our upcoming Superman movie is the one. You're all going to love it."

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Avengers is totally bloodless, triumphant, and the tone is "they're winning". Man of Steel's tone is apocalyptic, messy, and the tone is "he's losing".

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Neo Rasa posted:

At that time especially if it was the EXACT same movie but Superman said "You're a real pain the neck!" before snapping Zod's neck people would have loved it.

I politely disagree. The 9/11 imagery and the superior selling of physicality and consequence would have felt like tonal whiplash.

The reality is, it's not much of a jump from the Saturday Morning Cartoon violence of the Avengers to the Saturday Morning Cartoon quipping. Whereas Superman fighting for his life, airplanes coming down, people getting gravity smashed, etc. is treated like an actual science fiction disaster film about crazy aliens duking it out in a major city.

In fact, Man of Steel treating it like it's a disaster flick and not a wham bang capeshit gallery is part of what bothers people. The tone is, "wow, this is bad. It's awe-inspiring, yes, but you wouldn't want this to happen near you." While the idea of seeing Captain America whip alien butt at the expense of a couple dozen cars is much more palatable.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I'm just sitting around waiting for Rebel Moon, basically. Comic book movies (and mainstream movies in general) are in a baaaaaad place.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

He gets to have fun being Batman in Lego Batman. That over the top celebration sequence at the beginning sort of sets the tone.

You know, I can't remember any criticism of Wonder Woman in BvS. Nobody says she's dour, no fun, etc. It's because she's clearly having a great time.

There's so much wrapped up in the wish fulfillment aspect of these movies, and if they aren't having fun then it's not something you'd wish for.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's amazing how everyone agreed the big CG orcs were by far the best part of the movie and everything else was a disaster.

I forget the main orc guy but he was a case study in "a stock character with enough extra trappings to keep my interest." And the movie just kills his rear end dead for no real reason!

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Picture a molten metal sword. Picture what it does to things it hits. Now picture a lightsaber and what it does to things it hits.

It's the same dang thing!

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

It stands to reason that the PG-13 movie isn't for little kids. Y'know, the "13". It's there in the title? When did people forget this?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I guess I'll come out of the woodwork and say I liked Firefly ok, mostly for the setting, although I freely admit I didn't like the Whedonisms at the time and the behind-the-scenes stuff was horrible. I was never one of those Browncoat people (I thought that was weird) and the movie killed off a big chunk of the cast so I felt like it ended when it should have. But I did like it, I did think that showing China as a cultural influence in the future was cool (even though they didn't do a particularly good job, but it was 2002 after all) and I tolerated the kung fu waif and all the other skeezy stuff because, again, in 2002-2008 this stuff had not aged as badly.

I genuinely thought Dollhouse was going to lean into the horrible morality of it. The fact that around episode 5(?) they revealed that there were multiple Dollhouses got me really excited about the narrative possibilities, but it ultimate went nowhere. Severance does exactly the kind of things I was hoping that Dollhouse was going to do, so I eventually got my wish.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

It's almost a self-parody that Whedon's HBO-MAX show was about waifish young Victorian ingenues kicking rear end. That's right out of a "making fun of a typical Joss Whedon story" webcomic.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

"Superman can't be saccharine" is a heck of a take.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

The ocean is hitting triple digits, it doesn't seem that silly to me. It's all context.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

shoeberto posted:

Do you sincerely believe that?

Well, things have obviously changed since then and there's been a lot of obfuscation/goal-post moving but I'm of the opinion that the initial reaction to MoS was the truth, and it was - quite simply, and you can read it if you go to the archived Man of Steel thread - "Superman didn't prevent enough damage". It was all tied up in "Superman should have taken them to a cornfield" or "Superman should have zoomed Zod out of the city" because, paraphrased, people felt the cost of Superman's victories was too high.

And of course there's the old hat of that one All Star Superman comic where Superman puts his hand on your shoulder and tells you everything is going to be ok, things may be bad now but it's going to work out. That's frequently shown to be the "correct way" to do Superman.

So what Man of Steel and BvS shows is that once things get to a particular inflection point, Superman can't solve it perfectly. No, he can't beat the fascists and curb the environmental damage without loving stuff up, sorry. Superman doesn't get to calmly deposit Lex Luthor in jail, high-five the warden, and fly off. poo poo is messy. BvS literally shows a CEO using a legacy of fascism to his own ends. Furthermore, if Superman (or you) tries to head off these bad events through action, people are going to second-guess him (or you).

None of these things are particularly comforting. In fact, the "hero cake" scene in BvS, which states quite clearly that nobody has enough bandwidth to fix all the problems and that trying to do something might just make things worse (but, the implication is, you shouldn't stop trying - just don't pat yourself on the back before you see the results) incensed people.

We're in an aesthetic moment right now that's been termed "comfy" or "cozy" and the Snyderverse really doesn't get anywhere near that until ZSJL. The first two movies are not comforting films. They treat the audience like an adult who can handle the fact that "the world ain't all sunshine and rainbows" and that Superman, while awesomely powerful, can't really do much about systemic corruption. Things will not be ok. You, the viewer, will have to tackle that. That denies escapism and is not a comforting thought, but it's a far cry from "grimdark" - the fact that certain people reacted so strongly is instructive.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

checkplease posted:

At what age should I start transitioning my children from kidz bops to Wu tang

Some people say two, some people say four, I split the difference and went with three.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

The SNW Kirk is baffling. I didn't expect a Shatner impression (nor should it be) but the actor they got brings none of the character. Anson Mount looks like what you would happen if you put Jeffrey Hunter into a Pulp Action Hero machine, but they got it precisely wrong with Kirk - William Shatner looks like the Pulp Action Hero version of Paul Wesley!

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

checkplease posted:

Good interview. It’s going to break so many brains again.

The over/under on "a love letter to Frank Miller" being taken as an endorsement of fascism is 9:1.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I remember the "zombies don't run" complaints, and I thought to myself "well there's been a lot of movies where they don't run, let's see what happens when they do" (I am by no means super-familiar with zombie lore, although I watched a decent amount of VHS stuff when I worked at the video store)

There were so many takes of "if the zombies run you destroy what makes them zombies" at the time, it was wild.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

IIRC correctly, I'm not sure the ShittyCam was a real stylistic choice in 28 Days Later. They shot it on digital in the early 2000s, they used guerilla filmmaking stuff to zoom in and get shots of abandoned London and such, they specifically chose digital because it was point and shoot and they didn't have time to get setups. Again, this is all from recollection. I remember thinking it looked like pastel muddy junk even when it was new.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Snowman_McK posted:

When there's a genre film that's set a low bar for itself and fails to clear it, like the Hobbit or something, she's good. She has a very workman/engineer like perspective. "You want this to pay off later so you need this set up here. You need less of this and more of this." Basically, for films that should be following a blueprint but fail to follow it, she can look at the blueprint and read it. She's the opposite of a film-troper. She absolutely understands conventions and structure, why both exist, and how to apply them.

My biggest problem is that the idea that a film needs to "follow a blueprint" is fake. In fact, genres are frequently created or pushed forward by unique embellishments or structures.

This doesn't mean that narrative critique/analysis is worthless, but the perspective that there's a skeleton that the movie needs to be built on - determined by a nebulous "three act structure" or rules of "setup and payoff" - is bunk.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

It feels like we're falling into the same old trap here where the genre label becomes prescriptive instead of descriptive. In my experience this ends in two outcomes: making approximately six thousand worthless sub-genres to explain why movies that share a few traits but are distinctively different from each other are still genre movies, or making a worthless overarching genre like "martial arts movies" that treats Enter the Dragon and Mortal Kombat '95 as functionally the same film.

I don't believe the term "genre film" describes anything other than what the film experience focuses on; having said that there are many great films that pretended to focus on one thing while in fact doing another.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

It's Verminthrax Pejorative and I bet Zack Snyder would agree with me (I know that Guillermo Del Toro does) ;)