Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Is Big Bad Booty Daddy different from Daddy rear end?
8< >8 SCISSOR ME, NAM EK!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

The nearest comparison that I think hits the mark is in And Just Like That when Carrie snarks, "A Marvel movie?" while guessing where to find single men. She could've just as well said "a superhero movie," the punchline isn't unique to Marvel, but a late-50s person is likely to view superhero movies that way, especially after the glut of the last few years. It's a pop culture reference that's broad enough for anyone to recognize without the audience having to know a specific movie and how it was perceived by pockets of the internet.

Contrast with a Barbie character waking from a trance and calling out ZSJL specifically. Would the Donner Cut or Schumacher Cut be too specific/aged for the world of Barbie? And the punchline is "remember when people cared too much about a whole other movie that came out two years ago, what a bunch of morons huh."

I know, writing this all out makes me a moron, I'll stop hitting myself.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Haven't watched the trailer yet, just hyped up from reading these scant descriptions. Tried looking it up during lunch break and nearly fell for a cobbled-together fan teaser from a month ago.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Trailer has given me the utmost faith, plus I will keep saying "Snyder Metabarons" until it manifests.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Detective No. 27 posted:

I’ve heard that Snyder made his pitch like a year before the Disney buyout. Would take me forever to find a source.

https://www.polygon.com/23840513/rebel-moon-zack-snyder-star-wars-sci-fi-preview

“I remember calling Zack at some point 15 years ago,” producer Eric Newman said at a splashy Hollywood Hills preview event for the film. Newman previously worked with Snyder on Dawn of the Dead. “He was talking about a ‘Seven Jedi’ movie in the Star Wars universe.”

... But the pitch, which eventually made its way to Lucasfilm, was never developed for many reasons, one being Disney’s acquisition of Lucasfilm in 2012 and that brass’ approach to the franchise.

The theatrical Star Wars movies have largely revolved around legacy characters, but Snyder’s plan involved an entirely fresh cast, with no relationships to past Star Wars protagonists. When Lucasfilm’s plan for the sequel trilogy fell into place, Snyder’s movie disappeared from any future planning boards. But that may be for the better.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

RBA Starblade posted:

Interestingly I also go from "if there's even a one percent chance" to "faith!" when I send my 1-health mechs in Advance Wars

I'm sure they can take that medium tank just fine

Fixed that for... me?

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

This post is giving me repeat-viewing hype, drat and bless you for that. (Just need to find all the hours necessary to make it happen)

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

fr0id posted:

good lord these cameos should be exicsed from the directors cut. Neil DeGrasse Tyson? Jon Stewart? NANCY GRACE? The latter is the most interesting one because she is knowingly playing a bad person talking head in her normal persona and it’s funny parody but wow these all severely date the move.

People still line up to consult the wisdom of Tyson to this day, if anything his cameo remains the most relevant.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Can't wait for a hundred variations of parroted "Zack Snyder likes to make movies that 'look cool,' Christ what an rear end in a top hat" takes, followed by more original reactions that actually engage with the material, be they negative / mixed / positive.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Halloween Jack posted:

At first, I thought I misunderstood you, because "That take" seemed to refer to the idea that Veidt was right. Then I realized that I typed "Rorschach was right" and not "Ozymandias was right" in the first place. Sorry!

What machine are you on that didn't auto-correct to "Magneto was right" ?

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Alan Moore's Punch-Out!! (featuring Mr. Comedian)
*Pixel art by Dave Gibbons & John Higgins

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Waiting for the director's cut in light of all the scenes with ostensibly interesting/powerful characters who just... stand around. So much wasted potential where we could see them interact, chip in some more action during certain bits, maybe show off how the posse's level of influence/intimidation grows over time.

Did the CGI look unfinished to anyone else in a few shots? I'm thinking specifically of a sequence where a bunch of starfighters zip past overhead and look too out of synch with the surrounding environment/lighting to even pretend to be there.

The cast all range from decent to good, thankfully. My only casting nitpick is the big bad at the end, who seemed rather mundane compared to everyone else we met along the way, but there's an extended cut and entire sequel to handle that.

Snyder's still got a great eye for action and environment, the "he shoots scenes just to look cool" takes sound as willfully antagonistic as Brian De Palma haters.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Did anyone mistake that commander guy left with the grunts near the beginning for Michael Shannon? Guy was nearly a facial clone, but different delivery.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

McCloud posted:

No, but they were eerily similar though. Michael Shannon in a less charismatic font

This expresses the idea well. I knew they weren't literally the same, but there was a big "Diet Shannon" feeling with him.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

The two-hour cut is missing a lot of needed characterisation and, dare I say it, purpose. You'll get the flashy Snyder style without much to prop it up.

Every director's cut of a Snyder movie wins me over much more than the "first" cut, so take that as you will.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

checkplease posted:

Kind of surprised they aren’t patching shows or movie. Seems cheaper than making new productions

IIRC Stranger Things changed a line or two of dialog to an older season so it would line up with series continuity, or something like that.

Plus Across the Spider-Verse having multiple versions with small/negligible differences.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Clark would've spared Faora.
"This is your ghost dad speaking. gently caress them kids, you can fix her."

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

And - something not spelled out often enough - being inspired by the human examples he can see with his super-senses. He works to undo our damage while honoring the best in all of us. Even while feeling some doubts! I like that.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Snowman_McK posted:

I don't think it's a coincidence that the only two interesting and popular evil superman stories (Homelander and Omni-man, no one gives a poo poo about Brightburn) both believe they're the good guy, doing the right thing, albeit for very different reasons and expressing that in very different ways.

FWIW Irredeemable and Injustice do a pretty good job of steeping otherwise good Supermans in heating water until they boil over and break bad, both won me over from initial skepticism.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Funny how the same social media circles that always preach "let people like what they like" and "there are no guilty pleasures in art, be earnest" always loudly decry Snyder, including and especially Sucker Punch, as objectively terrible and worth negatively judging anyone who liked it.

At least, that's what I'm observing among some gaming circles on Bluesky. What's the discourse look like elsewhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Snyder reflecting on his movies, spelling out the obvious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzutcTsKI1E&t=789s

Some snippets:

Watchmen
"They said, we have a script would you like to see it and I go yeah. So I read the script and it was very much, at that time, it was completely different from the comic book. It was like, the war on terror, it was like all updated, and like, I think Rorshach had like, a dog as a sidekick and it was all sorts of bizarro... just stuff I was like, wait, what? No. I go, you guys, if I do this, I have to do as best I can to put it back to the original. You know, set it in the 80s, you know, Nixon's president, all that. So there was a bit of a battle there."

"The reason I switched the squid to Manhattan was for a couple reasons. One, at the time, and I think if I had more time I would have included the squid, but I didn't think I could tell the story in the confines of three hours and give the squid his, like, enough backstory where it made sense to the audience and didn't appear out of nowhere. And also, I felt there was symmetry to pinning it on Manhattan."

What's that? Snyder is actually responsible for how close the movie is to the comic, and the squid change was a matter of circumstance? Huh, it's like he understood the source material or something. Fancy that.

Man of Steel
"We [Christopher Nolan and I] sat and talked about Superman through the years, and what this Man of Steel movie could be. To make him... the nostalgia, the importance of what he represented to generations, and that that importance cannot be diminished. He's an immigrant, you know? It's an immigrant story in a lot of ways, and that was a thing I really felt strongly about. That he was an outsider, that he was looking to be accepted, all that stuff that is really at the core of who he is."

"He [Clark] says, I let my father die to protect the idea that my father was trying to protect. The idea that, like, I wasn't ready to be, like, outed to the world because I wasn't Superman. I'm just, I was like a teenager that kinda like, could've made a mess of it. I had the power to do it, but like, had I ever used my powers in those ways? Did I know exactly how to do it? No. I wanted to save my dad, but I also trusted him, that his vision for what I could be was bigger than him, or I, or this little incident in Kansas was not the thing that was going to, sort of, expose me to the world. Cause the moment I'm exposed to the world, I have to be at the peaks of my powers, because the world is not gonna sit around and rejoice my existence. That's probably not what's gonna happen. And I think that's what Jonathan's point of view was. The world is gonna be afraid of you. There's a really good chance you're going to become the enemy, because you make us feel too insignificant, and when we feel that way, we get afraid."

"Superman was the most realistic movie I've made, which I thought was a cool thing to think about. Like, for me, the most grounded, sort of naturalistic film that I've made, and I did that on purpose, was a movie about a guy who can fly."

Man of Steel 2
"If you were to make it, with Brainiac or whatever you were gonna do, which it certainly could have been. Maybe that's it, and you hold it off for a movie. And that's possible. I just felt like, I needed to know what Bruce's take on this was. Like, Bruce's take on the near-destruction of the world."

Batman v Superman
"I wanted the most Batmanny Batman I could find. Because I feel like Henry is the most Supermanny Superman."

"[Chris Terrio] said, like, you know that their mothers have the same name. I was like, that's crazy, I never thought about that. And he goes, imagine that Batman sees Superman as an alien, as a monster, but realizes that his dead mother has the same name as this thing that he considers non-human. That's gonna get him... What else could he say to Batman holding the kryptonite spear, he's about to plunge it into his heart, what is he gonna say? What is he gonna say to convince him that his love of humanity is as high as Batman's?"