Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

nice op, teagone!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

RBA Starblade posted:

I think it was a very boring movie

Starblade!!!

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Please, you can't fight in here. This is the Snyderdome!

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

CelticPredator posted:

I know how to fix the scene for everyone who hates it

Well, this thread took a turn.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

standing under that gulchway

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

It's going to be a literal slideshow with "Spanish Flea" playing and Barry saying "oooh, that one looks fun" over the top.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

I'm not onboard, two movies even with two cuts each can only possibly introduce four characters. Zack Snyder just make four more films.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

The biggest issue on Flash visually, shared with JL2017 and WW84, is that the saturation is super high to try and make it look warm and welcoming. It makes things that look normal seem otherworldly and things that look a bit off seem ridiculous.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

Cross-posting this for what should be obvious reasons...

Okay, so, weeks turned into months for a few reasons. For the past few years, I've been working on a superhero novel. Only, that isn't the right summary. It's an "anticapitalist post-superhero thriller." I consider it a superhero novel in the sense that Man of Steel is a superhero film. Or perhaps how Blindsight is a vampire novel, if you read sci-fi.

It's called In Sekhmet's Shadow. It follows a young woman who dons a suit of power armor to avenge her father and avert her nightmares of an apocalyptic future -- nightmares of fire and ash and blood, where the air isn't filled with the cries of those she has saved but the screams of her victims. Think The Boys meets Neon Genesis Evangelion. But it's also inspired by the writings of Zizek, Mark Fisher, and a particular strain of such thought that SMG blesses us with. The status quo is the enemy -- how do you save the world from it?

It's triple-drafted, completed, edited, and, according to a wide variety of genre agents, pretty much impossible to market. Too thriller for sci-fi readers, too sci-fi for thriller readers. And while people really liked the guitar-playing goth-bot, they're less sure about the romance. I'll be putting up a chapter every day (the first six are up at present) and, at approximately sixty chapters it'll be complete in two months. I want to give people an opportunity to read it, especially people from CD which is a forum that, if I'm honest, has been a massive creative inspiration. Here's the blurb.

If you have a RR account, a follow/rating can help, too.

The reason why I'm cross-posting here is not just because I'm a huge fan of Zack Snyder and consider his films the only superhero texts I'm genuinely inspired by, but because an editor summed up my authorial sensibilities as "What if Zack Snyder made an arthouse film?" That, and watching ZSJL with the thread regulars in the Discord is one of those things that I wish I could experience again for the first time.

I feel like if there's an audience for this thing, it's probably in Snyder sickos who can appreciate character-driven introspection, brutal action, and a real mythological bent. My own experience with the publishing system over the past year or thereabouts also gives me even more sympathy for what any artist goes through to get their vision on the screen or the page or anything else. ZSJL was an amazing coup.

Extremely cool dude, will check it out.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

You know what they say, hard men make soft shirts.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

hell yes he is

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

That's right, it's David Ayer's Suicide Squad.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

RBA Starblade posted:

And the many dead space colonies Earth is known for

We've got one, that's enough.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

MacheteZombie posted:

Ayer turning to AI to get his cut out

Release the AIyer Cut!

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Without having dug into it too deeply I'd assume it's concept art for the climax of the film, where Joker is working with Enchantress to get Harley back, so the swirling background of skulls is diegetic. The guy is basically wearing the final costume.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

They aren't fake tattoos; Joker in the Snyder Cut is wearing face-paint that covers his tattoos even though his face was already bleached white. He's painted himself up to look like himself.

Even the Joker doesn't think desert sunburn is a laughing matter.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Struck by sudden inspiration last night

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Hyped for the one shot of dudes playing violin.

Mr. Apollo posted:

Almost a 4 minute "teaser" trailer, impressive.

Long enough for two movies, perhaps.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Chairman Capone posted:

Looks awesome. I mean this in the best way: this looks like Snyder's Jupiter Ascending.

I also had this thought

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

20th Century Boys, also

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Bogus Adventure posted:

If you want some fun headlines, here's one you can see in the url:

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/zack-snyder-and-netflixs-rebel-moon-verse-looks-doomed-to-repeat-the-mistakes-of-final-fantasy-15

Why is it doomed to repeat the mistakes of Final Fantasy XV, you ask? Because they're making a game that you'll understand better if you watch the movies first.

quote:

The films themselves look like the algorithmic lovechild of Star Wars (see the lightsabers), Dune (see the nose tubes and the desert worlds), Foundation (see the big space battles) and Game Of Thrones (see the dragons and griffins), with some definitely not very subtle space Nazis thrown in for good measure. Classic Netflix fare, then, it would seem. Here's hoping the game is a little more interesting.

That classic Netflix mash up of the world's biggest scifi and fantasy settings. Can't move for the drat things!

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

We still haven't gotten Army of the Dead UHD...although tbh I'm not sure I want to own it, there's good action there but it's such a maudlin and bleak movie in so many ways.

The dream lens would be so buttery smooth though...

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

RBA Starblade posted:

Watching a movie in chunks sucks, really kills the momentum or energy of it for me

Interestingly I also go from "if there's even a one percent chance" to "faith!" when I send my rookies to go die in XCOM

I'm sure they can take that muton on just fine

*Magneto voice* In chess, the pawns go first!

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

One Jake per session, no more.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

MacheteZombie posted:

What if the suit was in color?

- Geoff Johns, early planning meeting 2015

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

That wasn't even a B&W promo picture iirc, some site just hit B&W on a colour promo pic from JL 2017.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Zack Snyder's Justice League 2.0: You Cannot (Re) Cut

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Ammanas posted:

Man: MySQL

Maria of Steel

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

My friend the serious Shakespeare academic wrote and produced an MCU-quoting version of Henry IV Part 1 stuffed full of quips. I played Falstaff.

Academic work has issues but imo the things being griped about ITT aren't really the point. It's not supposed to be a venue for the most entertaining writing or the most comprehensive encyclopedia of trivia or even the most widely-read reviewers: the point of academic work is to have a particular degree of rigor and review such that each piece of work situates itself in an intellectual tradition. That work might still be total rear end, or the entire branch of thinking it situates itself in might turn out to be discredited nonsense, but it's fundamentally different to even the most erudite opinion piece in the AV Club. Postmodern xenoBarbie might be useless nonsense or it might incredibly fertile ground for the next thirty years of work - what a general public make of it as a review is largely irrelevant.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

feedmyleg posted:

"genre" is an extremely useful identifier, because if something is "grenre" it's got a chance at being fun and interesting, while if something is not, it probably isn't

this mfer said 'grenre'

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Could be worse, but, oof.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

MacheteZombie posted:

As long as it's not the army of the dead lens lol

I have bad news for you but excellent news for all the lens sickos out there

It's not quite the same lens - he's had a set of anamorphics made by Zero Optik who did the rehousing on the AoTD 'dream lens', they're about f1.5 rather than f0.9 but still super soft and he's shooting wide open.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Can you believe he's 59 in that shot?

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

It's me, I'm the Rick and Morty x Snyder crossover fan.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

At one point the main character starts repeating the word "continue" 400 times then the full script of Star Wars and both sequels.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Hey there! I’m sorry to hear that you didn’t enjoy the movie as much as you expected. However, I’m glad to hear that you found the visuals to be outstanding. It’s always great to see a movie that is visually stunning.

It’s interesting that you mentioned that the movie seems like it was written by A.I. and that it borrows heavily from other movies like Star Wars, Warhammer 40K, Guardians of the Galaxy, The Matrix, and Avatar. While it’s true that many movies borrow elements from other movies, it’s important to remember that every movie is unique in its own way. I’m glad to hear that you enjoyed the art direction and that it was refreshing to see a new Sci Fi world that doesn’t rely on source material.

Overall, it sounds like you enjoyed the movie despite its flaws. It’s great to see fresh Sci Fi ideas in big budget movies, and I’m excited to see where they go from here. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

I mean the baddies in this are dressed in Cardinals robes?

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Reserving full judgement until I've seen the film, but my expectation is that Zack Snyder has made Star Wars unacceptably good again. The fans barely tolerate Andor and that's a fully integrated Star Wars Expanded Universe story with cross-over potential and the background characters you love. Rebel Moon, made without care to Star Wars canon, is going to be heresy. It's stealing Star Valour!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

I cannonball into every discussion with my bizarre, outlandish opinions until everyone present has pegged me as some kind of wise mystic who should be warily indulged.