Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Roth posted:

I once talked to someone who was mad at the very idea of an allegory for 9/11 and considered it disrespectful to the people who died in 9/11 so I think people actually were too stupid for BvS.

There was also the guy angry that the opening dream sequence didn’t follow the laws of physics, because even dreams needed to have some basis in reality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

SuperTeeJay posted:

Oppenheimer looking at pictures of Hiroshima: "Okay, that's not good!"

Oppenheimer looking at pictures of Hiroshima, and then immediately turning to ask Leslie Groves, "How quickly can we buy this city?"

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Should have gone with Michael Cera if the goal was a simulacrum of Eisenberg's Zuck!

In all seriousness, it is confounding how many reviewers at the time came away with the conclusion that Eisenberg was trying to imitate the Ledger Joker. How could anyone, especially someone who works a professional movie critic, seriously think that? Just another example of how Snyder does something to otherwise normal peoples' brains.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Suspiciously Wealthy Furries have been a thing for a long time...

Michael Shannon was even in a movie about a cop furry ruining his life!

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

KVeezy3 posted:

Like, his films are by far the most neutered out of the live action Batmans (Though I haven’t seen the Matt Reeves one).

I need to watch it again because I've only seen it once, but there's definitely more sexual stuff in it than the Nolan movies, mainly about Catwoman. She is basically a waitress in Falcone's strip club and he hits on her without knowing he's actually her father, so a lot to unpack there.

CelticPredator posted:

Inception is way more fun than sucker punch is

As big a Snyder fan as I am, this is a hard agree from me.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

McSpanky posted:

One of us, one of us

Even io9 had a fairly positive 10th anniversary retrospective on Man of Steel last week, though some of their complaints--like seeing too much of Krypton at the start, or it leaning too much into mythology, or that "a lot of the material feels like it was written for its own sake" (??)--still seem obtuse. But even so, if io9 of all places is willing to admit that it's a good movie, and after the good response to the Snyder Cut, I think it's only a matter of time before BvS gets its own re-evaluation and the trifecta is complete.

https://gizmodo.com/man-of-steel-superman-dc-snyder-10-year-anniversary-1850527969

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

YggdrasilTM posted:

The multiverse spiderman made 1.9 billion, I'm sure they are fine with this kind of sucking.

Marvel themselves probably aren’t as happy as they might be because it was a Sony production so Disney only got a small cut of that, and it’s a reminder that they haven’t been able to cross the billion threshold themselves in four years so probably a little bit of salt in the wound there.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Lego Batman also basically just directly uses Nolan Bane.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I feel The Lego Batman Movie definitely took influence from the Nolan movies in both parodying and examining Batman as a character and the world he lives in. As has come up before, it's drat near impossible to write Batman without getting into his psychology, and that's one of the most interesting things about him. Bruce Wayne is a messed up person, a traumatised manchild, and it makes complete sense that once he starts to come to terms with this, he knows he can't be Batman anymore.

I feel like Lego Batman has a characterization and arc that is extremely close to the BvS Bruce/Batman, just because there's more jokes and exaggeration for kids the same sort of people who hated Battfleck for being a fascist, not a real Batman, etc., went googly-eyed over how great Lego Batman's character was.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

He gets to have fun being Batman in Lego Batman. That over the top celebration sequence at the beginning sort of sets the tone.

That's true, but my takeaway (caveat: probably haven't seen it in five years so going all off old memory) was that we were supposed to take it as a hollow celebration that's not actually fun for him, just going through the motions, just the same way that Battfleck celebrated by boozing up and loving random women. Same thing, just one is kid-appropriate.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Missed out on having Jamie Lee Curtis in it.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

There has to be a lava lightsaber in the whole history of the Star Wars EU. Like, something used by a Sith Lord in a DLC to a late-00s LucasArts game or something.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Werewolf by Night was definitely the best Marvel thing I've seen in a long time, and that is absolutely damning by faint praise.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Was Armond White ever a big Snyder defender? I can imagine it as part of his contrarian shtick but I don't really remember his name ever coming up in the Snyder Wars, and I'm sure a lot of people would have jumped on him defending Snyder as evidence of Snyder's evilness.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I loved Firefly when it was on and bought the DVDs and thought it was one of the greatest sci-fi concepts of all time.

Around ten years later I rewatched it and I think there were like two episodes that held up as legitimately good (Shindig and the one with Christina Hendricks). Even ignoring all the stuff about Whedon, I think in the long run it didn't help that basically right after Firefly came out, the new Doctor Who also launched, which at least initially was very influenced by Buffy and Whedon, and stole a lot of its Whedon thunder, while BSG stole a lot of its space opera thunder.

I will say that I never liked any of Whedon's other stuff, outside of Dr. Horrible. Which I also loved at the time, but haven't gone back to rewatch.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I'm not a big fan of the way Kirk is played on Strange New Worlds but that's mostly because I think the actor is kind of bland, but I did like that they remembered that Kirk is an accomplished chess player.

I do think the Chris Pine Kirk is a bit closer to the Kirk of pop culture but the Abrams movies are playing more off of the pop culture view of Trek, plus that version of Kirk was explicitly based on Han Solo.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Bogus Adventure posted:

I know part of the reason that SNW Jim Kirk is different is because Paul Wesley isn't playing the canon TOS version of Kirk just yet. The S1 finale Kirk and the S2 time travel Kirk are alternate versions.

His third appearance was the canonical Kirk and was the same performance as the first two episodes.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I just want to say that even if the Ultimate Edition had been released theatrically, I don't think it would have changed things one bit. After Man of Steel, people's brains were broken about Snyder, and him then bringing a Frank Miller-inspired Batman into it was just fuel to the fire.

Even ignoring stuff that people invented to complain about or mock (it's not in color! Superman doesn't speak! The Martha scene is so dumb lol! Lex Luthor is literally just the Heath Ledger Joker!) that the Ultimate Cut wouldn't have changed, there's the fact that at its core people seemingly understood that Batman in the film was the villain, but simultaneously went to "only an idiot would think that Batman would ever act like that!" and "Snyder 100% sympathizes with Batman and the movie 100% endorses Batman's behavior." When the general comics audience is that dumb no version of the movie is going to get through to them.

I remember in early 2016, a few months before BvS came out, one of the shows on my local NPR had someone from io9 on, I think Annalee Newitz, to talk about comic book movies. She specifically brought up BvS and Captain America: Civil War - which again, no one had seen yet because neither movie was out - and said, "These movies are going to be fairly similar, except Batman v Superman is going to be a bit more fascist than Captain America." Comics nerds and reviewers had already made up their mind what the take was going to be on the film, and nothing that was in the actual film itself was going to change that.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I should rewatch 28 Weeks, I haven’t seen it since it came out. I remember nothing really living up to that opening scene, though. It makes sense given that I later learned that Boyle directed the opening bit.

I saw 28 Days Later at a drive in at the height of the pandemic and it definitely still is effective.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

They run now!?

They run now.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Simply Simon posted:

I'm sorry I cannot for the life of me imagine taking a "Professor Zoom" seriously lmao is his superpower being fun in online meetings?

Professor Zoom, or as he's known in his personal life, Jeffrey Toobin.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

Aliens come to invade Gotham, but the mob steals their ufo and now they're stranded in Crime Alley with psychotic clowns, mudmen, bat men, man bats, some dick who won't stop asking them questions, and some guy with a gun. How will they get home? Why does Earth's government allow this? Who can they vaporize in retaliation?

Joker and the Killer Klowns from Outer Space would be natural allies.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Looks awesome. I mean this in the best way: this looks like Snyder's Jupiter Ascending.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Detective No. 27 posted:

I’ve heard that Snyder made his pitch like a year before the Disney buyout. Would take me forever to find a source.

It does make me wonder if the seed of Finn’s story was planted by the pitch.

If that is the timeline, it would also be around when Joe Johnston was pitching a Boba Fett movie, and Ronald D. Moore was working on the Coruscant underworld live action show.

Lucasfilm had their chance!

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

The MSJ posted:

I saw one comment complaining that Rebel Moon is another film with a strong *black* female protagonist.

Did they hear that Sofia Boutella is from an African country and immediately thought she's black?

drat Snyder the fascist, always putting strong characters of color in his far-right propaganda movies!

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

The Nancy Grace appearance is so funny considering what her actual persona is and what she's saying in the movie that I'm curious how self aware she actually is.

Also lest we forget NDT was at the height of his cultural domination in 2016. He was in two other movies that year alone, Ice Age 5 and Zoolander 2 (to be fair, his ending bit was I think one of two times I laughed in the movie). The year before he did special features for The Martian and The Good Dinosaur, had his Cosmos miniseries, and had the debut of his own five season long late night talk show which I'm guessing probably five people watched even though he had some pretty stacked guests. Actually the guest on the second episode was Christopher Nolan, even. And it looks like he had Jeremy Irons on not too long after BvS came out.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

All of the media appearances in BVS are media people bickering with each other, a straight crib from Dark Knight Returns. Not a single one of them is as dated or jarring as Iron Man 2 or Star Trek TV shows or the Simpsons pausing to kiss Elon Musk's rear end.

Or having Stacy Abrams appear as the greatest, most visionary politician in the galaxy.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

God's Not Dead.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

How dare Snyder hide his body-fascist hatred for trans people by siding with them!

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I vaguely remember Vagrant Queen (though also realized I was blending it with Killjoys). That's about the extent of my memories. Though from what I recall it has an aesthetic and rough plot that seems like it could fit in with what's been shown of Rebel Moon.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

MJeff posted:

In other news,
https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1712162386189095061

Snyder and Harmon. That would've been one hell of a creative combination.

Nobody's perfect, I guess.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

M-O-O-N, that spells cinematic universe.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Look, I'm sure we all wish that Rebel Moon could be as daring and original as the Star Wars sequels....

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Jimbot posted:

The only acceptable Star Wars film to like is The Last Jedi because it mentions the military industrial complex once and never does anything with it. The rest of it are things that were in previous films its superfans pretend weren't there.

My favorite thing about Last Jedi superfans is when they point out that it's so great to finally have a Star Wars movie where someone who's not a Skywalker can become a Jedi. Yes... definitely not something we've ever seen before in a Star Wars movie. Also reminds me of how Lawrence Kasdan after Force Awakens came out talked about how Kylo Ren was such a unique villain because he started off as a Jedi before turning to the dark side... this is from the guy who cowrote Empire and Jedi.

Also think it's really funny when its supporters both embrace the thing the movie's villain says ("let the past die") and ignore that the ending scene is Luke rejecting the "radical critique of Star Wars" that they think the movie is saying. Like, all the "radical" stuff Luke says in the middle of the movie is explicitly rejected by Luke at the end but no one seems to grasp that.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Equeen posted:

Finn was such a wasted opportunity. “Story of a stormtrooper switching sides and eventually becoming a Jedi” is such an obvious and interesting premise, and Disney went “nah”.

Finn leading a stormtrooper rebellion against the Empire in Episode IX was such a slam-dunk great idea from Treverrow that it's almost impressive that Abrams just tossed it out when he came onboard.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I'm holding off on Rebel Moon until the full Snyder Cut comes out, but I did finally watch Army of Thieves. Have to admit, I think I liked it more than Army of the Dead. Dawn of the Dead is still the best Snyder zombie movie, though.

Space Fish posted:

IIRC Stranger Things changed a line or two of dialog to an older season so it would line up with series continuity, or something like that.

Plus Across the Spider-Verse having multiple versions with small/negligible differences.

Who could forget the Cats update to add the completed cat costumes to the actors?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I rewatched Batman Returns for the first time in over a decade and I forgot that Keaton straight up kills at least one bad guy in it. So grimdark!

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

GoldStandardConure posted:

Zack Snyder gay romcom about womens ice hockey.

It would be hard to make a movie if the director horrifically murders the entire cast!

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I was listening to a movie podcast that I generally like, and 300 came up somehow and the two hosts offhandedly agreed they hated it because it was so popular when it came out it supposedly sabotaged Zodiac and was the reason Zodiac didn't get any Oscar nominations. A while later one of them brought up the fact that Rorschach was a "child abuser" as one of the reasons they didn't like Watchmen.

I don't know what it is about Snyder that makes otherwise reasonable people lose their minds (and I don't think either of these people are even comic book nerds so it's not the usual "he doesn't get the source comics!") but I did appreciate that at least they were inventing new reasons to hate Snyder.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Could always make him an uncle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Superman vs. White God