Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

godly thread title and OP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I'm supposed to believe a man can fly?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

ZS understands something that too few filmmakers understand. Violence is terrible, and frightening, and occasionally really loving cool.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

YggdrasilTM posted:

Mostly because they don't. They looks like comic books splash pages, yes, but as if the comic books were adaptations of movies. It's honestly quite jarring, at least for me. They look too much movies to feel like real comic books, and too much comic books to feel like real movies.

i hated man of steel for years until i saw it

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Name Change posted:

Aside from Shannon being excellent, Man of Steel is the major reason Shannon isn't just a bit player/character actor.

Snyder's casting seemed a little left-field during his reign, but he got it all correct. Shannon was of course perfect, and the prescient Zuckerberg/Luthor conflation was simply - and widlly misunderstood a the time - genius.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

She certainly looks the part, and I think the accent helps. She's OK enough in his movies and WW. That said, I didn't see WW84.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Name Change posted:

Social Network came out in 2010 and Jesse Eisenberg playing unloved loser except edgier was not powerful visionary casting (Zombieland, American Ultra).

It was a smart choice to replace Luthor's traditional tycoon/magnate with a silicon valley type, and doubly so to get the exact simulacrum of Zuckerberg.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Bale was great, the issues with the Nolan movies stem from Nolan's quirks (refusal to shoot normal action scenes, being a sexless weirdo, whatever the rich nonsense was at the end of TDKR). I like Nolan's movies. He desperately needs a second unit director or someone to say "no" when he starts suggesting poo poo like TENET again.

Affleck is probably the best fit for the character we've had, but Bale did do some good work. People tease the voice but SWEAR TO ME is iconic IMO.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I'm pretty sure Hemsworth is fully on-board with Taikia's slant.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Pirate Jet posted:

I've probably said this before but the main thing that bothers me about the upcoming DCU is that Gunn talks a big game about it being "creator-driven" but it's not, it's IP-driven. He opened with a bunch of IPs they're doing and they'll fill in the creators later. If he said "We gave Zach Creggar his choice of any DC IP to adapt, he hasn't decided what yet so we don't know, but look forward to that" that would be exciting. Instead he's telling us all "All-Star Superman and Creature Commandos are happening and we'll figure out who's directing them later."

His main goal is clearly to adapt the Marvel model to DC, which is very exciting to a certain kind of nerd I'm sure, but that model itself is starting to wear thin on audiences and by the time we get to Superman versus The Authority I'm not sure they're still gonna be interested. Marvel fans love to crow about how "superhero fatigue isn't real!" but then even the best-reviewed MCU movies make less than their predecessor and The Flash makes 70% on RT and still might be the biggest bomb of the year. He's sprinting with complete confidence headfirst into a brick wall.

Having an attempted "studio style" undercuts a lot of the chances of having "creator driven" films. The most "creator driven" MCU films are probably Eternals and Thor, which have a pretty mixed reputation. The "creator driven" Star Wars movies are the same.

The issue comes down to that a part of the audience wants consistent style, they love the episodic nature. Another part of the audience wants stand-alone, unique stuff. Having a mix doesn't really work, either - Patty Jenkins couldn't match Snyder's action scenes in WW.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I saw it because I love trash and it was trash. It was way, way less fun than Gods Of Egypt, though.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

The fishing boat in man of steel is called “Debbie Sue”. Any bets on Deb Snyder’s middle name?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

fr0id posted:

The krypton part of MoS still sucks though.

cinema hater spotted

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Watchmen really was released a decade too early.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I think "choice" implies that they could've done anything else. I think it was a function of the budget and circumstance more than anything.

It does look cool though.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Name Change posted:

"Things are worse than ever!" is somehow the line that sticks with me.

It sounds like the guy had one take and the direction was “your life depends on it”.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

The Peccadillo posted:

JJ puts dazzle camouflage on his movies so you can't tell that they're bad

Mission Impossible III doesn't have flares but it's an ugly, muddy, shaky mess.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

edit: dumb post deleted.

In more relevant discussion, there's a Men's Health video showing ZS's workout routine. He shows his home gym (a shipping container, his wife has a nice gym inside the home, though) and ZS and the trainer go through his workout for the day.

They do chest, tris AND bis. This clearly shows that ZS is a man of the culture, and the people. Big day on pushing for the pectorals and tris, hitting delts hard too. And then, to cap it off, off goes the pump cover and it's curl time. This is not the workout of a bourgeois liberal. This is a nasty workout for the real working class meathead. Chest and Arms, same day. Charms day. This is not "wellness" or "health", this is a workout worthy of jack3d and weird lingering wrist pains.

well why not fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Aug 24, 2023

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

lol at Ed Skrein fuelling the discourse for another 100 years

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

If a superhuman emerged you better believe NDT would be on TV about it

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

it’s a cello

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

2 super 2 man

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Snowman_McK posted:

It rules that the narrative 'he just puts things in without thinking about them' has grown up around Snyder, who is clearly one of the most detail orientated directors working these days.

"he just does clever things by accident". I hate when i accidentally learn phrases in icelandic, fucks me off.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

the time is now old man

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

like how DBZ doesn’t count, or how Pokémon doesn’t count, or how Digimon doesn’t count, or how

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

What’s the chain on his gun?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

quote:

Is there any way I can help get that movie started by using my Snyder-ness

double bicep flexing as he said this

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

we're so far out from the DCEU stuff now that I think those voices have largely died out

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

ZS movies underline two key points about violence: That it is scary and also: very cool to watch.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

The Archie flamethrower/cumming symbolism is pushing subtext firmly up into text. It’s doubly funny when you add in the other flamethrower usage in Watchmen.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

yep! Moore is a madman for that one.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

the photocopier cut is an all timer gag

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

wow, chocolate and peanut butter, together, how NOVEL and ORIGINAL

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

so it’s Star Wars with zero percent chance I need to watch clone wars to understand what’s going on. sold

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

edit: wrong

well why not fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Dec 18, 2023

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Rey is just kinda there, she’s serviceable but I don’t rate many of her scenes outside of her intro and the Kylo stuff. She’s fine as a blank slate for the others to be more interesting near.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I still don't entirely buy the "it's because china is racist" story, the Fast & Furious movies make a huge amount of money over there, as did Aquaman.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

I've always assumed that he also wanted revenge for the Comedian beating him the first time they fought (which is not clearly stated but implied, I think).

I haven't ever noticed this implication, where's it from?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

[getting the old razzledazzle eight times consecutively] I am studying his limitations

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Schwarzwald posted:

[lying face down in a puddle of my own blood and spit] download complete

analysed optimum duelling combat strategy gambit [wait until he’s old and throwing him off a balcony]

well why not fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Dec 20, 2023