Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

CelticPredator posted:

BvS would do well now I think since people are really over the MCU’s style
I think especially so with Musk's buyout of Twitter and Trump's "stolen election" stuff. All the stuff in the movie about Lex manipulating everything behind the scenes and the massive polarization of public opinion on Superman that people criticized as "unrealistic" seems like it would fit in pretty well today.

I think also the studio could have done a better job setting expectations for the movie by letting people know it wasn't going to be a "sit down and turn off your brain" movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Yeah, he's saying "I made a movie this way but it the majority of audiences wanted their superhero movies made that way.".

teagone posted:

If anything, Snyder seems apologetic in that quote for failing to cater his capeshit more towards general sensibilities, lmao.

He doesn't need to explain himself and doesn't owe anyone that. The admission he makes is something most filmmakers would probably never cop to.
I think Greg Silverman said it nicely:

https://twitter.com/gregsilverman/status/1479141885008482306?s=20

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

edit - double post

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Moments after the Trinity test.

General Groves: We can spilt atoms now?
Oppenheimer: We can split atoms now.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Hiroshima bombing victim staggers towards the camera “So, uh, that just happened”

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 21:40 on May 12, 2023

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

CelticPredator posted:

It looks so funny and the spoilers in BSS make it a top priority to see it.
from everything I’ve read, it seems like all the hyped multiverse cameos are just stills, like a slide show?

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

CelticPredator posted:

I’m guessing the goon didn’t explain it well but I’m assuming it’s like Barry going through some sort of time Doofy thing where he’s slow mo-ing around everything and he sees all these different universes in small snapshots and a few he peaks in closer to see them.

I doubt it’s a literal slideshow lol
Oh, that makes sense. I guess that’s what they meant by slideshow.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

well why not posted:

Snyder's casting seemed a little left-field during his reign, but he got it all correct. Shannon was of course perfect, and the prescient Zuckerberg/Luthor conflation was simply - and widlly misunderstood a the time - genius.
Zack said that he was originally planning for Jessie to play Jimmy Olsen. However, after he interviewed him with Debbie, she suggested him for the role of Lex on the drive back to their office.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

McCloud posted:

He actually did an interview a few weeks ago where he talked about how Thour got too silly and he wants to do something different with the character if he ever goes back. Basically said " even my kids thought it stunk so not doing that again"
Yup.

https://variety.com/2023/film/news/chris-hemsworth-criticizes-thor-love-and-thunder-silly-1235634333/amp/

quote:

”I think we just had too much fun. It just became too silly,” Hemsworth said about the movie. “It’s always hard being in the center of it and having any real perspective…I love the process, it’s always a ride. But you just don’t know how people are going to respond.”

Hemsworth said his biggest critics were his son’s friends. “It’s a bunch of eight-year-olds critiquing my film. ‘We thought this one had too much humor, the action was cool but the VFX weren’t as good,’” he said. “I cringe and laugh equally at it.”

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

teagone posted:

Lol. Happy they got their Superman finally, I guess. I guess Snyder's Superman was holding him hostage or something.
10 years later and Synder is still living rent free in their heads.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

McCloud posted:

The whole post is spot on, but especially this segment is really accurate. They imagine these characters and movies in a certain way and get upset when the real thing deviates from their expectations, and the reason this happened is obviously because the director didn't understand the source material, unlike them, the true Superman understander
I remember watching a MoS review where the reveieweractually said that they’ve imagined Superman a certain way in their head all their life and Snyder didn’t depict Superman in that way therefore the movie was bad.

Martman posted:

The idea that Superman can't control outcomes, can barely tell what's going on, can't find an alternative to killing Zod, etc., that kind of "he can't just fix everything by himself" issue is core to a lot of people's problem with it I think.
A lot of people got upset at the “maybe he’s just a guy trying to do the right thing” line because it meant that Superman wasn’t perfect.

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jul 29, 2023

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

well why not posted:

Watchmen really was released a decade too early.
I also think that BvS was released a couple of years too early.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

https://www.inverse.com/entertainment/zack-snyder-original-flash-movie-plan-jay-oliva

quote:

Zack Snyder’s Secret Plan for a Flash Trilogy and Surprise Supervillain, Revealed

“It was Professor Zoom pulling the strings because he had come from the future to basically f*ck with Barry,” Jay Oliva tells Inverse.

The DC Extended Universe is full of missed opportunities. Some, like Zack Snyder’s original vision for 2017’s Justice League, were eventually realized. But most will remain unfulfilled as the DCEU reboots itself into the DCU under the guidance of James Gunn. However, none of those missed opportunities is quite as disappointing as the fate of The Flash, which finally arrived after years of delays only to flop hard with fans and critics alike.

It didn’t have to be that way. And perhaps no one knows that better than Jay Oliva, a storyboard artist on several DCEU movies who also directed the acclaimed DC animated film Flashpoint Paradox.

“When we were doing Zack Snyder’s Justice League, I was instrumental in talking to those guys about how Flash was going to be and everything,” Oliva tells Inverse.

In a conversation timed to the 10th anniversary of Flashpoint Paradox, Oliva reveals the studio’s original plan for an entire Flash trilogy leading up to a Flashpoint crossover, along with the surprise Flash villain who would have been pulling the strings all along across the entire DCEU.

After directing Flashpoint Paradox, Oliva worked as a storyboard artist for the first four seasons of The CW’s The Flash, crafting most of the show’s action scenes. So when Warner Bros. decided to make a live-action Flash movie, Oliva was involved right from the start.

“I worked with Seth Grahame-Smith, the first director who was attached to The Flash,” Oliva says. “I did a storyboard for him. I did that test. I don't think I ever saw it, but it got the green light for the movie.”

When Grahame-Smith left the project in 2016 over “creative differences,” Oliva stuck around and Rick Famuyiwa came aboard as the new director.

“I worked with Rick for like six or seven months on that Flash movie, right up until Rick left [in October 2017],” Oliva says. “The cast was in London. They were building sets. When Rick left, I switched gears and did the reshoots for the ending of Wonder Woman.”

While little is known about Famuyiwa’s canceled Flash movie (the cast at times included Ray Fisher’s Cyborg and Gal Gadot’s Wonder Woman), one thing is clear: it was nothing like the movie released in 2023.

“Rick's movie wasn't the Flashpoint movie,” Oliva says, before detouring into a brief DCEU history lesson. “Originally, there was supposed to be just Zack's five films and one side movie, which ended up being Suicide Squad.” But after the success of Man of Steel, Warner decided to go all in on its cinematic universe. “Rick's movie was going to be a series of films, just like Aquaman. I think all of those films, they were planning to be trilogies.”

The Flash movies would have been particularly important to the DCEU, however, because of a plan to introduce a classic DC villain: Eobard Thawne (aka, Professor Zoom or Reverse-Flash).

“Rick's movie was laying the groundwork for Zoom as the big baddy of the DC Universe,” Oliva says. “It was Professor Zoom pulling the strings because he had come from the future to basically f*ck with Barry. In the Flash movies, Zoom would be the villain in the background. But also in the ancillary other films, you would see some of the influences of Zoom on the rest of the Justice League.”

This all would have come to a head in a Flashpoint movie, which Zack Snyder revealed previously at a 2019 fan screening would have wrapped up his Superman-focused saga and served as a reboot for the entire franchise.

“At the ending of Zack's Darkseid quadrilogy, or whatever, we would end up with a Justice League Unlimited version of the Snyder-verse,” Oliva says, referencing the popular 2000s cartoon that featured a sprawling roster of DC superheroes. “And then you flip it. You do Flashpoint Paradox. Everybody who's friends are now enemies, and it's a world that you don't want to live in. You can reboot the universe and introduce a new cast that way. Because after 10 years, the actors need to go onto something else.”

For Oliva, that planned Flashpoint movie was also a chance to bring his original animated film to life, complete with its epic, world-destroying conflict between the Amazons and the Atlanteans. (In both the comic and the cartoon, the story hinges on a fatal love triangle involving Aquaman and Wonder Woman.)

“I wanted to really capture the grimness of the comic, but also lay the groundwork for adapting this as if it was a Marvel live-action film,” he says of his 2013 animated film. “I just thought that would've been fantastic. Can you imagine Jason Momoa fighting Gal Gadot and then having that love story?”

“All of the missed opportunities,” Oliva concludes, with a hint of whimsy. “Being a part of it was so exciting, and then having to shift gears and pivot. It's kind of sad. I would've loved to have seen it get to this point.”

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

RBA Starblade posted:

Tell me, do you buffer?

You won't
Remember when your microphone kept going on mute and everyone starting teasing you about it? It was me Barry.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Mexican Cartel Instagram Joker was cool. I don’t know why he broke so many nerds’ brains.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

josh04 posted:

Struck by sudden inspiration last night

:perfect:

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

New teaser in anticipation of tomorrow's trailer:

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1693654373862138256?s=20

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Almost a 4 minute "teaser" trailer, impressive.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Detective No. 27 posted:

Anyone else notice that the two implements Kora uses in the trailer are a hammer and sickle? (Ok it’s a scythe, close enough.)
typical snyder libertarian-fascist propaganda

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

garycoleisgod posted:

* My reading of the films has been that while people certainly react to Superman like he's a god, the simple truth is that he's a man with godlike powers and all the worship is just as big a problem as dudes like Luthor gunning for him, it really puts him off. Take his facial reaction to the worship from the people in this scene, he is clearly not ok with it.
Right, Clark doesn't see himself as a god (even though everyone else does) and he's aware of the limitations of his powers. He knows that he can't save everyone all the time but people expect him to. He's not afraid to examine his failings and they trouble him.

A lot of viewers wanted some perfect Superman that can save everyone all the time and isn't bothered or doesn't acknowledge any failings. They want their Superman to eat his hero cake and ignore the wailing of the drowning horses.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Seyser Koze posted:

Clark Dies At The End

e:

poo poo.
When I saw BvS, some guy stormed out during the funeral scene and yelled “This is bullshit!”.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Majkol posted:

regular Hollywood lib confirmed.
He’s said that himself a few times.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

His original WW story was about building a team of warriors from around the world to defeat Ares. It seems like this is a story he wanted to tell for a while.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

It won along with ZSJL (best cheer moment).

I like how all the articles discussing those two wins start off by saying that Snyder didn’t actually win an Oscar and it’s not correct to refer to either movie “Oscar winning”.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

shoeberto posted:

How long would that slow-mo reveal of pickle rick run for. I bet it'd be a full rear end minute with cuts to multiple angles and reaction shots.
Full frontal nudity pickle rick

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

teagone posted:

I love how excited Snyder is to show off all his nerd stuff lol
https://twitter.com/THR/status/1729896536451227934
I like that the professor’s reaction to the “Dirty Dozen meets Seven Samurai but in space” pitch was “that’s actually a really good idea”.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

checkplease posted:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/zack-snyder-regains-rights-to-300-spinoff-1235705412/

“I don’t know what the marketplace is for an incredibly homoerotic, super violent, super sexual movie. But maybe it’s perfect”
New thread title please.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Jimbot posted:

Yeah, slo-mo is a feature, not a bug. It's his style. It's fine that it's not to your taste but that's just an accepted reality when you watch a Zack Snyder film. Like checkplease mentioned, it's like accepting that there will be pastels and symmetrically framed shots in a Wes Anderson film.

Only film that didn't have it was Man of Steel but it still had a distinct Zack Snyder style to it. That one was an experiment to see what a more "mainstream" blockbuster film from Zack Snyder would look like.
BvS only had 4 shots in slo-mo that I can think of: the Waynes deaths, the Batmobile hitting Superman, the Batmobile crashing through the boat, and Luthor entering the Kyrptonian ship.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Jimbot posted:

It happened whenever Bruce had a nighmare (not to be confused with his Kightmare) and when Superman is saving the child from the burning building too.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

Theres a bunch of ramping shots though, especially the shell casings shot Snyder loves to do so much.

Right, yes, I forgot about those.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

checkplease posted:

Also funny to imagine how it’s rotate one way to unlock, the other to paralyze.
Motherworld henchman looking at smudged notes on his hand trying to remember which way to rotate the gun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

checkplease posted:

Clearly installed that machine gun into the bat mobile and jet for non lethal reasons.
I remember someone positing on Reddit that the machines guns and missile on the Batwing in Batman '89 were for scaring criminals and that Batman wasn't trying to kill the Joker at the end, just scare him away.