Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

teagone posted:

Make your own future. Make your own past. It's all right now.

*punches a rando, steals some liquor*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

lol that headbutt at 0:39.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

You will believe that men fly now?! Oh yeah, men fly now!

Batman: They fly now?!

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Bomber pilot: It's not over until the FAT MAN sings!

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

I am rewatching Beavis because of recent discussion about it, and I really really wish Snyder hadn't put in the ticking clock during the eponymous fight and lead-up to it. It just doesn't line up at all. Lex talks to Superman and says he has less than an hour now, the very next scene has the mercs putting down a clock counting down from 34 minutes, after that Superman tearfully tells Louis he has to go kill the Bat, THEN you have Diana arriving at her hotel, taking a shower, checking her e-mails and all that...

While some of that stuff might happen simultaneously, it feels like Superman has about five minutes left to confront Batman. This might have created a sense of urgency, but that's clearly not what the following fight is about. There simply is no ticking clock when Batman and Superman beat the poo poo out of each other, and there shouldn't be. But somehow when they are done, the ticking clock is back and Batman arrives just in the nick of time to save Martha. Just a weird element to throw in, and it reminds me of that weird sequence in Man of Steel where Superman takes ages to fly across some corn fields to save his mother from Zod.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

One other thing I came back to after my rewatch of BvS was that there were a lot of excellent observations about the visual cues of Bruce Wayne being lost, chiefly concerning the fields around Wayne Manor and how there is no path for Bruce as he goes to and from it before he confronts Superman. This shot from Clark's funeral stuck with me, and I only realized why when I remembered those fields:

Sorry about the poor quality, but I think it's still clear who is standing under that gateway.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

I am fond of Uranage victim, myself.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Bogus Adventure posted:

Exactly. Just like another Batman said, he won't kill you.

Well, except those guys outside. He shot them pretty dead.

Also I'd say 3/4 of the guys in the other room.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

McCloud posted:

Oh man, Lori Lemaris. I think we way too easily overlook that Clark had the hots for a fish-woman

Whomst among us...

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Bogus Adventure posted:

I can't bring myself to see The Flash. It's a slap in the face of Snyder's work, and looks like something put together by the idiot writers/execs parodied in the Screen Rant pitch meetings.

I wouldn't care about what the movie does with Snyder's work if it actually, you know, looked good. So far it only has car crash appeal, and I like the character of The Flash too much to waste my time and money on watching him be in the movie equivalent of late-era WCW.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Name Change posted:

Social Network came out in 2010 and Jesse Eisenberg playing unloved loser except edgier was not powerful visionary casting (Zombieland, American Ultra).

Yeah, the genius move was to take Eisenberg and put him in the Luthor role, not to invent that kind of image for Eisenberg. Many people at the time thought Snyder intended (and failed, naturally) to ape the Joker.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Sci fi Seven Samurai? Zachy baby please don't screw this up. PLEASE!!!!

edit: I just saw that there's eight warriors. That about sums it up.

Ah, so a sequel to Seven Samurai.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

It seems like there should be a better way to use those than that

But I don't *want* a practical weapon! I want a weapon I can only use when I replace my own arms with robot arms.

The hidden challenge there is that, to cut off your own arms, you have to use the weapon you can only use after you cut off your own arms.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

It can't be Warhammer, the shoulders are still reasonably proportioned still

Also, nobody rebels against the Imperium. Those who do automatically transform into tentacle monsters or Chaos demons or tentacle Chaos demon monsters and whatnot.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

KVeezy3 posted:

That is to say, one of the best things about BvS’s narrative is the psychosexuality pulsating throughout the film, with stuff like Luthor’s red jolly rancher scene and Batman’s vampire-monster mommy.

It was either here or in the old Justice League thread that it was pointed out that even Superman's posture is one of "constant erection" or suchlike, I need to find that post again.

edit: No, I'm not gonna google "Superman constantly erect"

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

ruddiger posted:

Superman - Frankenstein’s monster
Wonder Woman - The Bride
Batman - Dracula
Aquaman - Creature from the Black Lagoon
Flash - the Mummy
Cyborg - the Wolfman

Ugh. Cyborg is clearly Frankenstein, I'm not even going to go into why. Batman is the Wolfman, both because of the animal theme and because he becomes a snarling rear end in a top hat that is really who he needs to be. Superman is Dracula because he has a bitching cape and has a special relationship to the sun. Flash is Peter Cushin because he is wherever he needs to be.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

McCloud posted:

Batman is dracula and i will fight anyone who claims differently, I feel super strongly about this

Fight me then, the thing with the bats and the aristocracy and nocturnal activity is super superficial! Dracula is weak against stuff, just like Superman. What's Batman weak to, bullets?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

McCloud posted:

Superficial?! There's like 4 qualities that all batmen have

1: Rich
2: Bat motif (with kickass cape)
3: Works at night
4: Gadgets

And dracula ticks 3 of those. 3! How many does Superman match? 0, that's how many! If anything he's the polar opposite of a dracula. He's powered by sunlight, for gods sake!

1. Superman is not exactly poor; his wealth has never been the focus of his character but he has a whole fortress in a remote, hostile location. Do you think he works at the Planet to pay the rent?
2. Bats, shmats. Batman is hunting criminals in the night, inducing fear in his prey and seemingly being all around them at any time. Almost like there is a whole pack of him. Just like bats! As for capes, Dracula's cape is red on at least one side, guess whose costume doesn't have a hint of red? That's right, not Superman's!
3. Superman can work at night. Dracula doesn't have to work at night. He moves around the day just fine. He just turns into a more timid version that nobody would ever suspect to be Dracula.
4. Wait, Dracula has gadgets? Superman has gadgets!

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

ruddiger posted:

Joss Whedon is the Invisible Man because they're both sex creeps.

:hmmyes:

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

KVeezy3 posted:

In conclusion, I wrote all of this to say that Sucker Punch is the good/interesting version of Inception.

CelticPredator posted:

Inception is way more fun than sucker punch is

Look what we have here, two correct statements!

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

We had a VFX goonster in another thread tell us that what's happened: Disney needing 2.5k effects shots per movie distorted the entire industry into an international churn and burn model, so now they're grabbing anyone and everyone overseas and working them until the quit. The entire industry is now "beginners trying their best", which is why stuff looks demonstrably worse than 10 years ago.

Someone here or a similar thread mentioned the name of the phenomenon in which all experienced workers are gone within a relatively short time without training new people so the new people have to figure out problems that were already solved. I can't find it and my Googlin is weak.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Are you saying that post is rear end?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Alexander Hamilton posted:

“I’m not broken, and I’m not alone”

Yeah but what if, and I’m just spitballing here, he says, “Booyah!” instead?

But with gravitas, so we all know it's an emotional line!

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

The humor in Ragnarok was definitely too much, but the movie had structural problems that had nothing to do with it. If you kill off Russel Crowe with a silly accent in the same scene you introduce him in, you got a problem.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Timby posted:

I think you're thinking of Love & Thunder, which had Crowe.

And that movie feels like it was murdered in re-shoots and editing.

Yeah I was, sorry. That movie just wiped out any enthusiasm I had for upcoming Thor or Waititi projects. I actually liked Ragnarok quite a lot but Love & Thunder made it a lot worse for showing where that vibe would go.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

AccountSupervisor posted:

At the very least there was a slower start to the DCEU and even MCU by some metric, this cynical overly confident pre-release franchise building without a single proven film is always such an insanely blind gamble.

Not just no proven film, the near future is still all about getting the meaningless flotsam and jetsam of the old universe out of the way. WB is proudly declaring their investment into the new Dark Universe, but have three more I, Frankensteins to push out before they start filming The Mummy.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Tankbuster posted:

its because the action was good and consequential.

The Avengers action? lol

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

So what is it that awaits, Zack? A new universe or a new galaxy?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Hasn't Hopkins, like, won Oscars recently? If he is doing a "One for you, one for me" kind of thing, I honestly can't say which are the ones he does for himself, and that's pretty awesome.

Also, I hope he got buff for his role.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's also not like he has much to lose- overthinking poo poo and trying to only go for perceived prestige roles is how you Will Smith your career into relative obscurity, and I imagine it's a lot more fun to play twenty minutes of scenery-chewing. And it's always good to keep your hand in.

Will Smith, or Al Pacino/Robert De Niro. I guess I was astounded at the amount of schlock Hopkins is in for a moment there, but remembering what happened to half the cast of Goodfellas puts things into perspective. Hopkins' schlock at least isn't boring straight-to-DVD crap.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Bogus Adventure posted:

Objectivists are famous for risking their lives to save others who can't save themselves.

Yeah, but it's, like, easy for him, but he still doesn't smile so he clearly hates it!

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Bogus Adventure posted:

Yeah, but she's a villain.

But how, she clearly loves to have fun!

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

I think nobody cared much about the content of Dollhouse because they were cutting Whedon tremendous amounts of slack due to the cancellation of Firefly. That show was so god-drat overhyped and the circumstances around its cancellation seen as so unfair, Whedon could have done just about anything as his next project and people would have supported it out of spite.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

This Orson Welles quote is still the best:

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Vintersorg posted:

What’s this about?

http://strangehorizons.com/non-fiction/columns/freshly-rememberd-kirk-drift/

tl;dr: People remember Kirk as chasing after any vaguely female alien, but that public memory has little to do with how he actually was depictedin the show. People conflated him with other characters or misremembered and it's been agame of telephone since then.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Chairman Capone posted:

I'm not a big fan of the way Kirk is played on Strange New Worlds but that's mostly because I think the actor is kind of bland, but I did like that they remembered that Kirk is an accomplished chess player.

I do think the Chris Pine Kirk is a bit closer to the Kirk of pop culture but the Abrams movies are playing more off of the pop culture view of Trek, plus that version of Kirk was explicitly based on Han Solo.

Also his dad Chris Hemsworth died early. When one Chris is deprived of the guidance and care of another Chris, the results are often catastrophic.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

“You mess with one of us you mess with AAWL of us!”

Name that movie,hint superhero movie.

Brilliant follow-up in the sequel to that.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Original intent to do what, include an obscure 90's Chaos! Comics character called the Purple Skullet?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

But why is he wearing Bullseye from Affleck's daredevil's coat? And why is he walking out of a Warhammer 40k handbook?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Weirdo pimp Joker ruled, though. If whatever the gently caress is going on in that skull picture was the original intent, whatever that may mean, I have to gently deduct some points for Ayer because, with all due respect, that picture is dumb as gently caress.