Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

My problem with Batman V Superman is the same I have with all Synder's movies, I just hate how his cinematography looks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Bogus Adventure posted:

And they look like comic book splash pages, which is why I can't understand the hate for his style in this medium.

Mostly because they don't. They looks like comic books splash pages, yes, but as if the comic books were adaptations of movies. It's honestly quite jarring, at least for me. They look too much movies to feel like real comic books, and too much comic books to feel like real movies.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

2house2fly posted:

My mental image of the two is that WB/DC is always runnign around frantically keeping plates spinning crying and repeating "it'll be ok it'll be ok" while Marvel is just a board meeting of guys going "the supervillain sitcom sucked, the multiverse spiderman sucked, the thor thing sucked" and nodding thoughtfully and just greenlighting the next thing

The multiverse spiderman made 1.9 billion, I'm sure they are fine with this kind of sucking.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Chairman Capone posted:

Marvel themselves probably aren’t as happy as they might be because it was a Sony production so Disney only got a small cut of that, and it’s a reminder that they haven’t been able to cross the billion threshold themselves in four years so probably a little bit of salt in the wound there.

Wasn't it a Marvel Studios production? I thought Sony was involved only in the distribution.

Edit: I see, MS were involved in 25% of the production.

YggdrasilTM fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Jun 28, 2023

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

The obvious answer is that that's Clark Kent, not Superman.

"I'm thinking of the scene after the wrestling match, where the promoter stiffs Spider-Man on his pay. So when the promoter gets robbed, Spider-Man doesn't stop him! It's a pointless, petty act that doesn't actually teach the man a lesson, or serve to make him a better human, or even bring any sort of justice for Spider-Man (who obviously can't get paid more by a guy who just lost all his money). No, Raimi's Spider-Man simply engages in an act of destructive revenge in the vein of Howard Roarke blowing up the housing project when the people in charge of it dared to defy his perfect architectural design. The circumstances of the act indicate that it has nothing to do with righting a wrong or preventing a future one - it has to do with punishing someone who defied him. Why would Spider-Man do this?

So then the bully kills Superman uncle and he learns that with great power there must also come great responsibility?

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

FilthyImp posted:

The tornado that kills Pa shows Clark humility, and such his love of Earth is born. Because he is awed by its awesome power and defiance.

So the bully was a tornado? I don't get the Spider-Man similitude.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Yeah but people currently hate the ST so I don't understand your point

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Burton's Batman is just delightfully unhinged in all aspects of design, and it's great. It's more cartoony than the cartoon that was based on it.

Are you talking about the '77 one or the '68 one?

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

McCloud posted:

And Superman very famously acted as judge, jury and executioner for Zod after his genocide of a pocket dimension earth

Yeah, and then the thing come back haunting him, and he resolves to never kill again.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Yeah.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

McCloud posted:

And he still killed doomsday after that, so I guess he's a liar.

It's ok, Doomsday actually didn't die.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Equeen posted:

Wow almost as if Superman isn’t tarnished as a character if he makes an extremely hard decision.

I think that resorting on killing and being then tormented by guilt for it is a fine narrative arc for Superman (it can work only once though). I would be way more skeptical of a Superman that consistently kills in cold blood with little remorse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

McCloud posted:

Ok? This Superman doesn’t kill in cold blood without remorse either

Yeah. So?