Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Dogshit. Was the article written by chatgpt or something? Are people willing to tolerate this kind of writing for brand gossip? Good god

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I can't say why people as a whole rejected it, but common terms in discussion of it are things like "joyless" and "grimdark" suggesting that, debate about the exact terms he used to describe it aside, Snyder's comment that people wanted a more light-hearted romp was pretty much on the money

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

He's literally begging Zod to stop while Zod tries to murder the nearest civilians.

A good one i saw was "just turn his head away" like why do you think the eye lasers are slowwwwwly inching their way towards that family, you think Zod is just being coy?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Blood Boils posted:

I never liked that bit, it's way more forced than the "is she with you?" quips

"Is she with you" us an all-timer comic book movie gag. Im also a huge fan of when Batman is heading back from saving Martha and he's missed all the Doomsday stuff so far, and he says "What's happening Alfred?' and Alfred puffs out his cheeks and goes "...how best to describe it?"

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Michael Shannon is the best. I loved one time when an interview veered into talking about Trump and they asked something like "would you like to play that guy, explore his inner suffering, imagine what he's thinking when he's lying in bed at night" and Shannon said "he has no inner suffering, he's having a wonderful time, when he's in bed he's probably thinking he wants a cheeseburger"

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Snyder talking about how he came to cast Eisenberg was the best, he straight up said to an interviewer "we talked to him about playing Jimmy Olsen but he's such a wacko I decided to cast him as Lex"

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Man Of Steel's structure is loosely based on Superman 78, hence both movies spend roughly 20 minutes on Krypton. 78 probably got criticised for it as well, especially as a big chunk of it was setting up the sequel

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

My mental image of the two is that WB/DC is always runnign around frantically keeping plates spinning crying and repeating "it'll be ok it'll be ok" while Marvel is just a board meeting of guys going "the supervillain sitcom sucked, the multiverse spiderman sucked, the thor thing sucked" and nodding thoughtfully and just greenlighting the next thing

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

checkplease posted:

Just read this part from Birthright writer Mark Waid on his review of man of steel.

The rest of his review complains about Superman not saving enough people and Superman snapping necks, but this was a good read of pa Kent.

“And I think you’d be surprised to find that I loved everything about Jonathan Kent. I loved his protectiveness, even when it made him sound like an rear end in a top hat. (“Maybe.”) And I loved, loved, loved that scene where Clark *didn’t* save him, because Goyer did something magical–he took two moments that, individually, I would have hated and he welded them together into something amazing. Out of context, I would have hated that Clark said “You’re not my real dad,” or whatever he says right before the tornado. And out of context, I would have *loathed* that Clark stood by frozen with helplessness as the tornado killed Jonathan. But the reason that beat worked is *because* Clark had just said “You’re not my dad,” the last real words he said to Pa. Tearful Clark choosing to go against his every instinct in that last second because he had to show his father he trusted him after all, because he had to show Pa that Pa could trust *him* and that Clark *had* learned, Clark *did* love him–that worked for me, hugely. It was a very brave story choice, but it worked. It worked largely on the shoulders of Cavill, who sold it. It worked as a tragic rite of passage. I kinda wish I’d written that scene.”

My favourite bit of that scene: as he watches Jonathan die, Clark yells out "Dad!"

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I haven't followed production of this thing but I am fully invested in the Robot Stag Lord guy. What's his drat deal, why's he got antlers. Hoping for an Army Of Thieves style backstory movie for him

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

What makes that critique not work for me is that the violence in the comic is cool as hell

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Lol at this word choice:

quote:

To be honest, I have never seen the theatrical Warner Bros. cut of Justice League. I’ve heard a lot about it. My wife [the movie’s producer, Deborah Snyder] was forced to watch it.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Escobarbarian posted:

I guess they think rabid online fanbase = mainstream success. Because that’s never been proven wrong before!!!

Remember Snakes On A Plane? lol

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

An anime where instead of shouting the name of the attack they shout "HDR Unreal Engine 5 hyperrealistic beautiful big breasts trending on artstation"

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I'm tickled to this day that literally the climax of the movie has a "days without acccident" joke

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

He can approve of mass death in the abstract, at a remove, but when confronted with it viscerally and asked to be complicit in it, he can't stand that. He has too much humanity in him, versus Doctor Manhattan who can only view any event in the abstract, at a remove

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Adam Driver is much the same. What is there to be interested in about Kylo Ren? Well, he's played by Adam Driver. That's about it. Oscar Isaac too, but fair enough as he wasn't meant to live past the first hour of the first movie.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

A good prescient bit of casting in Watchmen is that The Comedian is a wisecracking soldier who kills his enemies with advanced weaponry, and Jeffrey Dean Morgan who plays him looks like Robert Downey Jr

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I'm waiting on the director's cut. Life's too short to watch half a movie

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I caved and watched it. Liked it more than Army Of The Dead, for sure. After all the commentary complaining about the army wanting grain I was surprised to see a long scene full of dialogue where they state why they want the grain

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

HENNIMORE!

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

Who's going to be number two

Who does number two work for?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

They didn't "do bad". Batman V Superman has the second highest box office of any Superman film. If you exclude it from the rankings because it's also a Batman film, then the second highest becomes Man Of Steel.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

It's not really accurate to day Snydersupes "kills" in the present tense. He killed one guy, possibly two (the guy holding Lois hostage at the start of BVS is ambiguous) and several flashbacks establish that he's trained himself since childhood to not harm people. In the case of Batman, his brutality shows how his character has fallen from what he should be.

Regardless, it's funny to imagine other movies being held to the standard of "does the hero kill anyone ever". Think of how many people Luke Skywalker has killed!

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

It's ok, no one's ever really gone

People keep saying this and it makes me angry! The line in the movie didn't refer to death but to evil! It meant nobody is beyond redemption! Grr!

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

YggdrasilTM posted:

I think that resorting on killing and being then tormented by guilt for it is a fine narrative arc for Superman (it can work only once though). I would be way more skeptical of a Superman that consistently kills in cold blood with little remorse.

Hey now, Homelander is great

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Neo Rasa posted:

He killed Harvey Dent too. This guy can run and jump out of a building after someone has already fallen out of it and catch up and save that person with the bathook or whatever as we see earlier in the movie like c'mon he totally murdered Dent.
"Killing is making a choice." Batman chose to save Gordon's son rather than Dent, he's only got one pair of hands etc. Of course he could have not knocked him off the edge, but then the kid might have got shot. It's another Zod snap, the least bad option available

CelticPredator posted:

I wish man of steel had an actual epilogue to the final battle instead of that stupid drone scene.

I still don’t like it but as far as destruction complaints that would’ve gone a long way. He did a perfect one in watchmen where you see the city being rebuilt in the distance and that’s enough
with a bunch of Veidt logos on all the construction equipment no less!

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

I don’t like Cavill in man of steel. He’s way better in BvS all around.

wtf he's adorable in Man Of Steel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

to me all Alan Moore writing is "Majestic" writing