Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Gay threas this is stupid xbox rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

CelticPredator posted:

Still don’t like man of steel or sucker punch but love the rest.

Best imo is watchmen directors cut

gently caress you

Edit - I mean: Thank you for your opinion

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Talk about bad faith but hey, that's Escobarbarian for you.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

KVeezy3 posted:

People who can appreciate BvS are not just more intellectual, but more importantly, far more good looking and hang out with the hottest guys.

Sso tru

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Zack Snyder is 100% correct and Escobarbarian is 100% wrong

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

RBA Starblade posted:

Ah, just like Beavis Ultimate, then

Go chat with Leon

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

"BvS is a layered movie"

Esco: I don't think so

"Why not it's got a good amount to say"

Esco: Yeah but I don't think so. No I will not elaborate.

Excellent conversation. MZ goldmine this thread NOW

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Escobarbarian posted:

But I did elaborate. Roth, I know you literally poo poo yourself with fury every time I vaguely post in your vicinity, but I very clearly just elaborated.

You merely repeated that it's surface level without explaining what makes it surface level. That's not an elaboration that's a different wording you numbskull.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Esco please share your analysis of BvS and how it is a shallow exploration of the themes it brings up. Only then will you have my permission to post without having a Snyder gangtag forced on you.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I once talked to someone who was mad at the very idea of an allegory for 9/11 and considered it disrespectful to the people who died in 9/11 so I think people actually were too stupid for BvS.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

YggdrasilTM posted:

Mostly because they don't. They looks like comic books splash pages, yes, but as if the comic books were adaptations of movies. It's honestly quite jarring, at least for me. They look too much movies to feel like real comic books, and too much comic books to feel like real movies.

You are cookinh nothing right now

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

White was defined by his anti-liberalism, and almost purely negative in that respect. This meant he was one of the only reviewers in the relative mainstream saying that, like, Toy Story is ideologically sus, Joss Whedon is bad, and satirical movies like Transformers are only vilified because they lay bare the hypocrisy.

Then, like many who defined themselves by ‘owning the libs’ circa 2010, White suddenly went positive: all-in on Trump and conspiracist fascism, revealing himself to be a rube.

The fatal mistake is in seeing Trump as an antidote to liberalism instead of a derangement of it. It’s the difference between appreciating Michael Bay movies and wanting Michael Bay’s characters to take over the nation IRL.

What's the Toy Story stuff about?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I think for me the Snyder joke just felt like another thing on top of everything else that made me feel excluded from Barbie's idea of womanhood. My interests are not usually all that girly outside of MLP, so they get ridiculed as guy things.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

The ZSJL joke is inoffensive. The real stinker of a joke is when the mom compares the Barbie's being weak to patriarchy to Indigenous people having no immunity to Smallpox

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Armond White’s claim to fame is that he was the only reviewer listed on Rotten Tomatoes Dot Com to rank Toy Story 3 as ‘rotten’ (i.e. below 60%). Doing so denied the film a ‘perfect score’ and, in the hype surrounding the Disney-Pixar movie where WOODY AND BUZZ LIGHTYEAR (almost) DIE AT THE END, fans were infuriated and other outlets were reporting breathlessly on the bizarre deviation. As White himself later recounts it, it was simply a critique of consumerist ideology:

“My heretical point, when writing about Toy Story 3, was that this insulting franchise delimited movies — particularly those targeted at children — as no longer expressive art but mere products synonymous with toys and the utility of toys: All reflection and imagination is left to the manufacturer. There’s nothing for the viewer to do but worship the formula.”

Scorsese!

Fascinatingly, White complains that his ‘anti-American’ review was attacked for being too ‘woke’ (though he would never use these terms on himself) - comparing the outrage to right-wing reactions against figures like Ilhan Omar and Colin Kaepernik. That’s (half-)sarcasm on his part, but still points to White’s appeal at the time: implicitly, not even evil radical libs like Omar would go so far as to dis Disney-Pixar at the height of its influence!

Oh yeah i recall the Rotten Tomatoes stuff. I remember reading his review at the time but was a dumb teenager that just went "He thinks Ham is a villain? What?" and wrote it off as nonsense.

I had actually just rewatched Toy Story yesterday since they put it in theaters, and while I like 1-3 I never really thought much deeper about them than a surface level enjoyment for the movies. I think in that sense I can kinda see the point White's making, and that I don't really see much to the films beyond nostalgia for having played with various toys as an adult. The third movie especially leans heavily into that aspect since it was pretty much perfectly timed to come out when a lot of kids who grew up with 1 and 2 were themselves going off to college and nostalgic for the first two movies.

I do think the first film at least has some interesting thematic stuff to it. Woody sees Buzz as competition for his entire brand influencing the life of a child while the less popular toys have given up, and even fear the possibility of being replaced with newer, fancier toys like Buzz. Buzz has an existential crisis upon seeing an advertisement and realizing he's not actually a cool action hero, he's just a piece of plastic sold to kids.

In a sense I kinda see the toys in the first movie as feeling like employees of their various companies marketing themselves to Andy every day he looks at them. Perhaps that is what Armond White was tapping into in his critique.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

It is so loving annoying trying to find his actual review to read because searching "Armond White Toy Story 3 review" brings up a billion articles about how Armond White ruined Toy Story 3's 100% rating

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Armond White’s claim to fame is that he was the only reviewer listed on Rotten Tomatoes Dot Com to rank Toy Story 3 as ‘rotten’ (i.e. below 60%). Doing so denied the film a ‘perfect score’ and, in the hype surrounding the Disney-Pixar movie where WOODY AND BUZZ LIGHTYEAR (almost) DIE AT THE END, fans were infuriated and other outlets were reporting breathlessly on the bizarre deviation. As White himself later recounts it, it was simply a critique of consumerist ideology:

“My heretical point, when writing about Toy Story 3, was that this insulting franchise delimited movies — particularly those targeted at children — as no longer expressive art but mere products synonymous with toys and the utility of toys: All reflection and imagination is left to the manufacturer. There’s nothing for the viewer to do but worship the formula.”

Scorsese!

Fascinatingly, White complains that his ‘anti-American’ review was attacked for being too ‘woke’ (though he would never use these terms on himself) - comparing the outrage to right-wing reactions against figures like Ilhan Omar and Colin Kaepernik. That’s (half-)sarcasm on his part, but still points to White’s appeal at the time: implicitly, not even evil radical libs like Omar would go so far as to dis Disney-Pixar at the height of its influence!

Couldn't help but think about this post seeing this news lol

https://twitter.com/popbase/status/1684254204091564039?s=46&t=W7FVnypR7n4wir0kfXw7_w

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Return of the Living Dead would destroy their minds.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I am so sorry for whatever is wrong with you

They're a D&D poster

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

It’s cool to me that Snyder’s like “yeah this is my Star Wars ripoff movie. I made it to resemble Star Wars because it is based on Star Wars,” and now pro reviewers are like “hmm… heads up, consumers; I’m getting some distinct Star Wars vibes here.”

It is hilarious to me seeing people complain that the knowing riff on Seven Samurai and Star Wars isn't bursting with originality like the appeal isn't in seeing how Zack Snyder retells that story.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Nerds love Mass Effect, which is ripping off Babylon 5, Battlestar Galactica, Star Trek, and Star Wars

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Fangz posted:

The other way round. Rorschach wants nuclear Armageddon to be back on the table. Even Manhattan refuses to accept the atrocity that would ensue if Rorschach would be allowed to live. That's why he kills him.

The entire story is really about the value of humans as compromised, flawed, unexpected individuals. As the one that ultimately rejects that part of himself, Rorschach is the villain of the story. Even Veidt is humanised by his doubts at the end. Rorschach is turned into a bloody smear once he makes the Never Compromise speech because to Manhattan, the objective observer, he's just not that interesting any more.

Amazing reading of the Watchmen comic book from a regular poster in the Something Awful Comic Book subforum.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Halloween Jack posted:

I mean, Fangz doesn't even approach the flat-out "Rorschach was right" takes we got in the thread about the movie.

That take is far better supported by the text than "Rorschach just loves nuclear war so much he was crying and demanding to be killed" take so it really doesn't approach that.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Halloween Jack posted:

What texts are you reading that say it's good to kill 15,000,000 people? I didn't even know Henry Kissinger wrote any comics!

Rorschach doesn't kill 15,000,000 people. Rorschach does not want to kill 15,000,000 people. Rorschach breaks down in tears about while talking about how he might as well be one more corpse in the foundation of Veidt's new "utopia".

What are either you or Fangz even talking about?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Lmao all good

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Nobody could have predicted that things would get dumb enough for their to be a Peacemaker TV Show

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I'd recommend waiting for the Director's Cut unless you're really into Snyder's visuals.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Alert for people still thinking to watch Rebel Moon:

The first hour of Child Of Fire: Netflix Cut is dope, but the second half (at basically the exact point that they get into space) is so badly hacked up by the studio that it's literally not even a completed movie. If you pay to watch the whole thing in this state, you are being ripped off.

Without hyperbole, the edits done to Snyder's WB films look tasteful and restrained by comparison. Like, I must begrudgingly admit that Josstice League is a better film overall.

Jesus that's brutal

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I still think I just emotionally hate Josstice League more.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I'm gonna flame James Gunn now

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

There is nothing I could say that would be worse than being Irish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Bongo Bill posted:

I'm simply a pervert, who finds it fun to defend art things that have become the target of a disproportionate hatedom.

This