Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

For the ultimate reading experience, play this music track in the background while going over the OP and/or perusing the thread.

Cultural disruptor, divisive director, and controversial auteur of the highest caliber, Mr. Zack Snyder is a two-time Oscar winner who has crafted some of the most painstakingly beautiful genre films that sort of broke pop culture in half. Ill-informed nerds don’t like him, and even now, years later, they'll often misconstrue his character to be some imagined dude-bro dumb idiot jock pro-fash objectivist xenophobic hate-monger when really, the guy is a very friendly turbonerd (according to everyone who has met/worked with him) who just wants to cultivate modern myth for the mainstream by making stuff he thinks is pretty cool. Snyder would probably cop to the jock label though, seeing as how he goes out of his way to lift heavy things…

…all so he can hand carry ~250 lb IMAX cameras :black101:

With that said, welcome to Zack Snyder’s Cinema Discusso Thread! It's high time we moved beyond the Snyderdome :razz:. As the dome grew, it eventually evolved to become a haven of absolute chillness, and as it turned out, was not actually a containment thread. Instead, it was a shelter open to anyone who needed a break from everywhere else on the forums. But with the current state of things, the dome's services are no longer required—nature has healed, tides have turned, wrongs were righted, memories honored, and most importantly, justice was served. Zack Snyder and his cult of sickos took home so many W’s in recent years, and now, the Snyderverse hype train is gearing up for its next destination. CHOO CHOO, all aboard motherfuckers!

UPCOMING FILMS
Rebel Moon: Part 1 - December 22, 2023
Rebel Moon: Part 2 - Release Date Pending
Rebel Moon: Part 3(???) - Release Date Pending
Planet of the Dead - Release Date Pending
Horse Latitudes - Release Date Pending

PREVIOUS WORKS
Dawn of the Dead (2004)
300 (2007)
Watchmen (2009)
Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole (2010)
Sucker Punch (2011)
Man of Steel (2013)
Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016)
Zack Snyder's Justice League (2021)
Army of the Dead (2021)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDktt2HExcc&hd=1

CelticPredator posted:

I know how to fix the scene for everyone who hates it

teagone fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jul 4, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Pirate Jet posted:

I wanna dedicate this thread to everyone who said the Snyder Cut wasn’t real.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYvD3fXslnI

Not a fan of this particular YTer, but this video never gets old :sickos:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

wyoming posted:

Looking forward to Snyder giving us a Star Wars that fucks.

CelticPredator posted:

Is that the titular rebel moon

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Reading Heavy Metal at a certain age just puts a "horny sci-fi" genre imprint in your brain that never really goes away - it simply lies dormant until exploited by Luc Besson or, presumably, Zachary Snyder.

I read titular as titties.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Just wanted to make note: anyone who would step foot and post ITT is strongly recommended to watch Snyder's only animated feature, Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole, if you haven't already. It's rarely mentioned in Snyder discourse, and is criminally overlooked tbh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0c5gYg3adeI

It's not required viewing, but I believe you will be enriched should you choose to give it a once over. Really hope Snyder ventures into directing animation again one of these days.

Also, the Russo bros recently had Snyder on their webshow; they put together a really great and insightful interview. Pro-click, A+++ viewing experience imo, and it helped reinform my perspective on the Russos as filmmakers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqLvMZIO84M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u26FeJU5CBI

teagone fucked around with this message at 01:32 on May 3, 2023

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

The REAL Goobusters posted:

whatever happened to that army of the dead tv series

It's still in the works, I'm pretty sure. And for those who don't know, it's going to be an "anime" series, but Netflix's defintion of anime is weird lol. I think it's gonna be a photoreal-ish CG animated series, similar to those higher fidelity shorts featured in Love, Death, & Robots, e.g., Sonnie's Edge.

As an aside, in the past I've hosted several Snyder-centric CineD Discord streams:

For any newcomers, if you're able to scour the depths and find your way into the Unofficial Cinema Discusso Discord, you can expect a CineD Discord stream for Rebel Moon this December :getin:

teagone fucked around with this message at 01:55 on May 3, 2023

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

[edit] whoops, quote is not edit lol

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

The JL stream was one of my favorite things ever

Yeah, reading through the archived channel of chatter during the stream is the most wholesome poo poo lol :3:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Schwarzwald posted:

I was really sorry to miss out on that one, but I did catch BvS.

Lol, rubber tires is funny poo poo but CP's "rubber car" always gets me.

Here's a snippet of stream chatter experiencing Barry's "At the Speed of Force" scene in ZSJL for the first time:

Lmao at my reaction

teagone fucked around with this message at 02:23 on May 3, 2023

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

He also directed Michael Jordan's Playground

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lty8KBD6x58

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Added a little blurb under the header images in the OP encouraging old and new thread readers to do the same, lol. Thanks for the idea!

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

https://twitter.com/ZackSnyder/status/1653848284627361792

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

McCloud posted:

lol retroactively beaten, Teagone

:argh:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Agent Rush posted:

Can't believe I missed a final chance to post in the Snyderdome! I also still haven't seen ZSJL, because I don't have time. poo poo sucks. :negative:

Make your own future. Make your own past. It's all right now.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Nothing controversial about it, imo. Just telling it like it is, especially if you read the quote in full. BvS isn't a typical superhero romp, especially compared to the capeshit of that particular era. If you want to experience Snyder's take on a popcorn-esque genre blockbuster, his cut of Justice League fits the bill. But social media's immediate reaction to the quote chopped up and out of context will almost certainly be "So Snyder is basically saying general audiences were too stupid to get it" or something dumb like that because it's Snyder, lol. What do you think about it?

teagone fucked around with this message at 19:16 on May 10, 2023

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Once again, Mr. Snyder had made a film that was ahead of its time.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

If anything, Snyder seems apologetic in that quote for failing to cater his capeshit more towards general sensibilities, lmao.

He doesn't need to explain himself and doesn't owe anyone that. The admission he makes is something most filmmakers would probably never cop to.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Escobarbarian posted:

I think that while ultimate cut ain’t too bad calling it layered or a movie you really have to think about to “get” is pretty laughable

Well, when compared to its contemporaries of the time, the level of engagement BvS asks of its audiences is much higher than like The Lego Batman movie. And Snyder's quote is less about "getting" it, and leans far more towards "appreciating" it imo. Snyder never says what the audiences want (a superhero romp that's doesn't require a lot of effort to be entertained) is like bad, it's just that he explicitly had a clear goal of trying to make something more than what you might typically expect from the genre, and is lamenting that audiences responded poorly for deciding to go that route.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Escobarbarian posted:

I guess I don’t even think the concept of a superhero movie with more then zero thought behind it was that unique at the time, I guess.

It's not. And Snyder is never quoted saying as such. It's just that when a crossover film featuring two of the most storied comic book heroes in history -- characters who also happen to have very iconic adaptations in previous films as well -- there's very much a certain sort of vivacious experience the audience is expecting going into a movie with "Batman" and "Superman" in the title. What Snyder delivered with BvS was clearly NOT that, lol. He crafted something much different and against the grain.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Escobarbarian posted:

Some cool posts up in here! I definitely get what you all are going for now. I still don’t agree that it’s why the movie was considered a failure and I will always have major qualms with that way of thinking but I can happily admit the comparisons and metaphors go deeper than I was aware of.

Just want to reiterate that Snyder even pops a disclaimer saying "he might be wrong" about his explanation regarding why BvS was so polarizing.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

YggdrasilTM posted:

Mostly because they don't. They looks like comic books splash pages, yes, but as if the comic books were adaptations of movies. It's honestly quite jarring, at least for me. They look too much movies to feel like real comic books, and too much comic books to feel like real movies.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

ankitojha posted:

I thought of introducing myself here but like… I think I created a new post entirely in CinemaDiscusso and now I want to drown.

Oh hello by the way lol

[edit] Also lmao, I just saw your other post haha.

teagone fucked around with this message at 04:24 on May 20, 2023

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Halloween Jack posted:

Darkseid can kill people by looking at them and wishing they were dead. Why does he need gloves?

Fashion.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Updated the bottom of the OP with relevant content.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

KVeezy3 posted:

Another member with an axe to grind actually wields two flaming swords. South Korean actor Doona Bae plays Nemesis, a swordmaster who is partly mechanical. “These swords are powered by the gauntlets that she holds. The gauntlets are these ancient [artifacts] from her home world, and part of the rite of passage of being a warrior in her world is you have to cut your arm off, and then you put these kind of robot arms on. That allows you to wield these molten-metal blades,” Snyder says.

She inhabits a mining world that’s ruled by the Imperium, which extracts everything useful while leaving little for the planet’s inhabitants. “Nemesis is able to navigate the alleys and nooks and crannies, and she’s been sort of protecting the exploited workers of that world,”

:O

Lmao, that is metal as gently caress :black101:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Eagerly anticipating Doona Bae fire sword fight scenes.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

I just imagine Whiplash but it's fire like with the Balrog?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__O5YMmboFQ

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Not really related to anything, just crossposting from the CineD discord that I made a Snyderdome club in Street Fighter 6 for anyone who wants to join. It's open to apply and I'll add whoever next time I'm on. You can just search for Snyderdome in the CFN > Clubs menu. Hoping maybe we can get some CineD goon sets going in a custom lobby or all meet up in the battle hub eventually.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

gently caress man, I need a trailer so bad lmao.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

When The Flash drops onto VOD, I'm going to host a discord stream to showcase the proverbial nail in the coffin for WB's (not Snyder's) DCEU vision so that we can all laugh at how stupid the whole thing is.

teagone fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Jun 20, 2023

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

Nope.

Also he’s sorta retiring from acting because he may or may not develop Alzheimer’s

He refuted the idea of his retirement from acting earlier this month https://people.com/chris-hemsworth-his-genetic-predisposition-to-alzheimers-got-over-dramatized-7547163

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

:allears::allears::allears::allears::allears::allears::allears::allears::allears::allears::allears::allears::allears::allears::allears::allears::allears::allears::allears::allears::allears::allears::allears::allears::allears::allears::allears::allears::allears::allears::allears::allears::allears::allears::allears::allears::allears::allears::allears::allears::allears::allears:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Snyder would've probably made a pretty rad Warcraft movie.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

ruddiger posted:

just read Anthony Hopkins is gonna voice a chappie in rebel moon

Not just any regular sort of chappie, his character is like a knights templar chappie!

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Tentatively planning a CineD Discord movie night for The Flash so we can all laugh at how WB hosed up their capeshit universe with this magnificent capstone film lmao. Thinking of hosting the stream this Saturday, July 22nd, around maybe 8 or 9PM central time?

teagone fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jul 18, 2023

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

MacheteZombie posted:

I'm going to put u in a microwave travel through time and throw it at u

:supaburn: lol

I added spoiler tags and a strikethrough, does that help? Lmao.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I think it might be too short notice for this Saturday, so I'll try and reschedule the stream this weekend instead and have something more concrete planned by early next week.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Someone post that image of Snyder's Apple TV screen full of purchased Barbie movies.

Nm, found it lol

One of the Barbie franchise's biggest supporters and they take a potshot at him...sheesh!

teagone fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jul 21, 2023

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

McCloud posted:

The joke is that one barbie is brainwashed to love patriarchy and toxic masculinity in the newly created "ken land" and when she comes out of brainwashing she's like "omg i imagined i was someone extremely invested in zsjl"

It rates an eyeroll at most, certainly not something to flip a table over like Armond implies

I guess that's kinda funny lol. Because it's so absurd. I don't mind it :haw:

It's like how I can't help but laugh at people who unironically believe Snyder is objectivist and so is his Superman. poo poo's so funny to me now.

teagone fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jul 21, 2023

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Snowman_McK posted:

I got in a facebook argument with one and when I asked for examples, he responded with the usual stuff about the bus and pa kent's death, but then he finished with this.:

"I'm thinking of the scene in the bar, where Clark, in a confrontation with a bully, who is sexually harassing a waitress, later destroys the man's truck. It's a pointless, petty act that doesn't actually teach the man a lesson, or serve to make him a better human, or even bring any sort of justice to the wronged woman (who will almost certainly be accosted by the same man the next time he comes through town). No, Snyder's Superman simply engages in an act of destructive revenge in the vein of Howard Roarke blowing up the housing project when the people in charge of it dared to defy his perfect architectural design. The circumstances of the act indicate that it has nothing to do with righting a wrong or preventing a future one - it has to do with punishing someone who defied him."

:psypop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I don't think anyone who posts ITT actually cares about the joke.