Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
A random thought after watching the end of Titans: Joker's quasi-sexual obsession with Batman has been endlessly discussed, but no one talks about Luthor combining his DNA with Superman's to make a baby. Connor Kent debuted almost 30 years ago and is a well-established part of the Superman Family at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Darkseid can kill people by looking at them and wishing they were dead. Why does he need gloves?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
He already wears regular gloves

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Snowman_McK posted:

"I'm thinking of the scene in the bar, where Clark, in a confrontation with a bully, who is sexually harassing a waitress, later destroys the man's truck. It's a pointless, petty act that doesn't actually teach the man a lesson, or serve to make him a better human, or even bring any sort of justice to the wronged woman (who will almost certainly be accosted by the same man the next time he comes through town). No, Snyder's Superman simply engages in an act of destructive revenge in the vein of Howard Roarke blowing up the housing project when the people in charge of it dared to defy his perfect architectural design. The circumstances of the act indicate that it has nothing to do with righting a wrong or preventing a future one - it has to do with punishing someone who defied him."
The obvious answer is that that's Clark Kent, not Superman.

"I'm thinking of the scene after the wrestling match, where the promoter stiffs Spider-Man on his pay. So when the promoter gets robbed, Spider-Man doesn't stop him! It's a pointless, petty act that doesn't actually teach the man a lesson, or serve to make him a better human, or even bring any sort of justice for Spider-Man (who obviously can't get paid more by a guy who just lost all his money). No, Raimi's Spider-Man simply engages in an act of destructive revenge in the vein of Howard Roarke blowing up the housing project when the people in charge of it dared to defy his perfect architectural design. The circumstances of the act indicate that it has nothing to do with righting a wrong or preventing a future one - it has to do with punishing someone who defied him. Why would Spider-Man do this?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
It's pretty funny that people who have been shown dozens of superhero origin stories apparently can't recognize one when they see it.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
No, Kryptonians aren't created by jerking off into a container full of rotten garbage. You're thinking of Avengers: Age of Ultron

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Whenever people complain about superhero movies portraying characters "incorrectly," I notice that they tend to obsessively define characters in terms of what they don't do. Not just Batman killing people with guns, but a broad attitude of Turboman Would Never Do That.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Necrothatcher posted:

Oh hi muscular women hitting things with a big mallet, I've missed you.
Baka!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I'm looking forward to Zack Snyder's Mutant Chronicles: Battle Beyond the Stars

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Rorschach is almost literally the template for comic book anti heroes, the melodrama, ultraviolence and ham-fisted moral ambiguity of muscular 90s punchmen is all based on him, something Alan Moore and everyone else rued for years.
Eh, well, don't you think those characters were more informed by e.g. Judge Dredd, Marshal Law, and other characters who were already gun-toting, musclebound antiheroes?

The difference between Moore's and Snyder's take on Rorschach is simply that Snyder has sympathy for him. Moore sums him up as, if I remember right, "a loser and a fool" and Snyder agrees.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Fangz posted:

Even Veidt is humanised by his doubts at the end.
You were fooled.

Rorschach's beliefs are a contradictory mess, obviously, but if he could be read as belong to any political tendency, he's a Barry Goldwater Republican. The people who believed we should "confront" the USSR and flirted with the notion that Eisenhower was secretly a Communist. (The propaganda that Rorschach reads was clearly inspired by John Birch Society stuff.) The point is not really whether or not he's a good person, he dies because there's no place for him in the new world order Veidt is ushering in.

Veidt, on the other hand, is a shockingly on-the-nose prediction of the fascism inherent in American liberalism. Not only did he plot the deaths of 15 million people, he positioned himself to make billions off of the aftermath. His struggle to (paraphrased) "not conquer people, but conquer the ills that afflict them" just meant making the world safe for capitalism. He justifies this to himself by having a special Feelings Room where he goes to meditate and consciously induce feelings of guilt about being a world-historical monster. I can go on about how Veidt represents what various amoral ghouls and spooks refer to as the "rules based international order," but the point is, Veidt didn't kill 15,000,000 people to save the world, he did it to make more money that he didn't need. Whether or not he feels a twinge of self-doubt about that is really neither here nor there.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Roth posted:

Amazing reading of the Watchmen comic book from a regular poster in the Something Awful Comic Book subforum.
I mean, Fangz doesn't even approach the flat-out "Veidt was right" takes we got in the thread about the movie.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Dec 19, 2023

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
What texts are you reading that say it's good to kill 15,000,000 people? I didn't even know Henry Kissinger wrote any comics!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
At first, I thought I misunderstood you, because "That take" seemed to refer to the idea that Veidt was right. Then I realized that I typed "Rorschach was right" and not "Ozymandias was right" in the first place. Sorry!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I just feel bad about it. I came up with some really good cocktails on the spur of the moment with Scalia and McCain died, but for Kissinger I was really tired and still getting over COVID so I just popped the Glenmorangie.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Ghost Leviathan posted:

He also happens to have the bad luck to be completely wrong in this assumption, and to tell it to the actual killer, who goes on to orchestrate more faked evidence to throw him further off the trail.
I love that he investigates the death of a man who made more enemies than Richard Nixon and immediately jumps to the conclusion that it's a conspiracy to assassinate what are basically a bunch of retired celebrities. Veidt and Dreiberg both point out that it makes no sense and then they're off to the races.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

garycoleisgod posted:

I think it's worth pondering how much of Ozy's actions come from a "rational" assessment of the cold war and trying to avoid Armageddon and how much is him trying to soothe his bruised ego after the Comedians "smartest man on the cinder" crack.

Ozy did a lot through proxies and staff, but for some reason beating Comedian to death with his bare hands was the optimal strategy to close that leak.
I've always assumed that he also wanted revenge for the Comedian beating him the first time they fought (which is not clearly stated but implied, I think).

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I forgot how the Comedian looks like rough trade in that panel. I've got your Hooded Justice right here

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I didn't remember this until someone pointed it out, but Ozy getting his rear end kicked by the Comedian also comes up in the magazine interview with him in a later issue. He kinda/sorta dodges the question.

In retrospect, it's also funny to me that Rorschach and Nite Owl could have easily subdued Ozymandias and his mutant tiger if they had brought, like, a couple of submachine guns instead of a stupid laser pen.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
C:\Users\Ἀλέξανδρος\Documents\BOYS

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
And he was in The Walking Dead. What's with this guy and bats?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Not having seen it, I don't have anything inherently against a scene where Batman throws his suit in the laundry or whatever. (I remember a scene in The Long Halloween where Alfred's complaining that Bruce will have to wear a damp Batsuit because he won't stop working long enough for Alfred to finish his laundry. It doesn't deflate the whole issue or anything.) It's good not to take yourself seriously when you're making a movie about Aquaman.

But you also have to play it straight. Constantly nodding and winking at the audience and poking fun at your own material is the default approach to, for example, low-budget horror-comedies that aren't horror or comedy and just suck rear end. It's weird to me how the fandom about making MCU characters "human" and "relatable" ends up wrapping back around to a point where it feels like they have contempt for the subject matter.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Dec 21, 2023

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
You want to see Henry Cavill fold a rubber shirt? Well, so do I.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

RBA Starblade posted:

You will believe a man can fry

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

This forum needs a "buy user a drink for this post" button.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
The voiceover at the beginning is definitely a Star Wars crawl, without anyone to tell them to edit it down to a quarter of its original length. I don't need to hear the history of the Severan Dynasty, dude.

A bit later, a lady just says "So there's this genius general who's living in exile. I'm going to go convince him to join us" and everyone just goes with it. That's the way to do it.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
It would be a waste if he directed a movie about a real sport instead of, like, phantom rugby or roller ball murder.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Roman posted:

Someone remixed the Batman chase scene from The Flash in Snyder style. No Blue suit or silly dialogue. I'm kind of mad at how much better it is. It even made me forgive Batman running around in the daytime.
This is a weird thing to point out, I guess, but in the 30 seconds that I rewatched, I have no idea why they had Batman throw the spike strip and then have the truck dodge it so the scene can go on. Put that near the end!

I really wasn't prepared for just how reference-laden the Flash movie was.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
The real problem with Zack Snyder's superhero movies is the same problem with all superhero movies: It's all downhill after Watchmen (dir. Snyder, 2008)

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
It’s still odd to me that there was so much nerd rage over Fast Zombies. There were plenty of movies with fast zombies before that. I can only assume that they were all Fake Geek Boys who saw one zombie film and declared themselves experts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Grendels Dad posted:

To be fair to the haters (don't be fair to the haters, they are dumb), a lot of emphasis was put on the zombies' speed. Right at the start, you got that Oh poo poo!-moment when Sarah Polley throws that kid down the hall and she just bounces to her feet and rushes at the door. And just after there is that hilarious moment when the neighbor chases Polley in her car and course-corrects when he notices a confused guy standing there. Zombies be running all over the place in Dawn in ways that never really happened before.

I'm sure there are parallels to be drawn between the running zombies and the T-1000, who might have the coolest way of running in movie history.
Yeah but like Return of the Living Dead, probably the most recognizable zombie franchise at that time outside Romero's, had zombies running all over. There was nothing unprecedented about the running.

Imagine if people had lost their poo poo at T2 because the T-800 Terminator is supposed to be slow and clumsy. And that's the same franchise! Nobody gave a gently caress.

Jimbot posted:

His liberalism is inability to congeal that worldview into something good like communism or anarchism. His films can be read that way because he clearly wants people to work together towards a common cause and it's often represented by authority but I don't think, or at least shown he has, the foundation to make that logical step.

What I'm basically saying is someone needs to get this man some books by Marx and Maletesta!
I think that even if Snyder was a crypto-communist, there are limits to what you can do in the big-budget studio system. For example, Elio Petri was a communist, and his gangster movies are bluntly anti-reactionary, but they don't express any straightforward didactic about a better leftist alternative to the Execution Squad or Still Killing The Old Way.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Apr 11, 2024