Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What do you lads think about this quote

https://twitter.com/DCU_Direct/status/1655951338734489603?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

teagone posted:

What do you think about it?

I think that while ultimate cut ain’t too bad calling it layered or a movie you really have to think about to “get” is pretty laughable

This is kinda silly and conspiratorial at best and laughable at worst. Is that really still the kind of discourse we’re having? “He isn’t taken seriously as a valuable auteur because he’s nice”?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

checkplease posted:

What’s the issue with calling BvS layered?

Sure saying you didn’t like it because you didn’t think enough may not be accurate, but I see no issues with saying a movie that’s draws a lot from Arthurian legends and post 9/11 and Iraq hysteria layered.

I think the term applies more to the way a movie approaches themes rather than just it having the most surface-level metaphorical version of them, which was my personal take on the ideas BvS was touching on. Like the term “layers” implies depth, right?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
But I did elaborate. Roth, I know you literally poo poo yourself with fury every time I vaguely post in your vicinity, but I very clearly just elaborated.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Guy A. Person posted:

I mean it implies a depth of a least 2 I suppose. I feel like there's a trap here and that you are using "depth" as a way to refute what he is saying by daring people to argue that some shallow summer blockbuster had "depth" but what checkplease is saying scans: if the "layers" are simply "Superman is like Arthurian Legend" and "the battle in Metropolis was like 9/11" then that is more than a single layer to each of those ideas.

Technically, but he also pairs it with saying it was a movie you “really needed to pay attention to”, and it’s not like the two are meant to be separate points, right? Like he is stating it’s layered in a way that required thought and analysis, which I personally don’t agree with. If a movie is meant to be thematically biblical and has a shot that echoes The Last Supper, that shot in itself doesn’t inherently mean it’s layered the biblical themes in an thoughtful way. To me, that’s how the themes in BvS come across. “The Arthurian legends are mythological and about heroes, and so is the story of Superman” is valid, but I personally don’t think just pointing that out and doing nothing further with it makes a movie smart, but it seems from (the full version of, not just the twitter post) that quote that Snyder does, and it’s certainly not the first place I’ve seen that take. I think it’s fair to refute.

His point about thinking the movie was divisive because people were going in expecting a romp and didn’t enjoy getting this instead, although I personally don’t think that’s the case, is at least something I can understand. But when he elaborates further he loses me. Hopefully this explains my point properly and can quell the complaints of the people thinking I’m just here to kick up a fuss or whatever :shrug:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

teagone posted:

Well, when compared to its contemporaries of the time, the level of engagement BvS asks of its audiences is much higher than like The Lego Batman movie. And Snyder's quote is less about "getting" it, and leans far more towards "appreciating" it imo. Snyder never says what the audiences want (a superhero romp that's doesn't require a lot of effort to be entertained) is like bad, it's just that he explicitly had a clear goal of trying to make something more than what you might typically expect from the genre, and is lamenting that audiences responded poorly for deciding to go that route.

I guess I don’t even think the concept of a superhero movie with more then zero thought behind it was that unique at the time, I guess. I mean The Dark Knight was beloved despite some pretty overt contemporary political subtext (not a commentary on that subtext at all, just noting that it’s there). Basically I think a lot of this is trying to put the blame for the movie’s lack of success in this way on the inherent concept, the fact he even tried to do it to begin with, instead of just not liking the way he did it, which is my personal take on things. And I’m saying this as someone who was kinda into the ultimate cut!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Some cool posts up in here! I definitely get what you all are going for now. I still don’t agree that it’s why the movie was considered a failure and I will always have major qualms with that way of thinking but I can happily admit the comparisons and metaphors go deeper than I was aware of.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
btw my work had the premiere of Rebel Moon tonight (no idea if it was the world premiere or just a regional one, feel free to let me know). I wasn’t working it but the set dressing the Netflix/events people did that my colleagues sent pics of was insanely cool

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I have no idea if The Scargiver was there. to give people scars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

MacheteZombie posted:

Is that a normal thing or is netflix going all out on pushing Rebel Moon?

I guess they think rabid online fanbase = mainstream success. Because that’s never been proven wrong before!!!