Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

MJeff posted:

When Shannon said "Man of Steel I was there for two weeks, but this time I was in and out in like a day", I started to get the feeling that they were really pushing the Zod, Supergirl, Batman stuff in the marketing but those elements would make up like 20 minutes of the movie and that was when I started thinking I didn't need to see it.

6 months on MoS vs two weeks on Flash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I love James Gunn. I think the GOTG trilogy is the best thing Marvel has ever made. I love Slither. I love Dawn of the Dead. I had a great time with Super. Not a fan of TSS but really enjoyed Peacemaker.

I have zero faith in his whatever vision he has for DC because its predicated on nothing but studio hubris.

At the very least there was a slower start to the DCEU and even MCU by some metric, this cynical overly confident pre-release franchise building without a single proven film is always such an insanely blind gamble.

It feels like WB is constantly trying to force me into a CBM Timeshare.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

What I think would have been the big brain move is to have just simply said "hey we wanna do a new Superman movie, we would be thrilled to carry him into a big new DC franchise in the future but we aren't concerned about that right now, we just really want to make this Superman movie because we love Superman and think the fans will love it the same way they've loved The Batman and Joker"

and then just like those two movies, gauge the response critically and financially and grow from there. A slow drip where you slowly revealed the pieces of the new DCU before committing to a massive 10 year plan would have been psychologically a lot easier for audiences to get excited about.

But of course this is entirely because WB is highly in debt and they need a revenue flow from DC the size of the MCU and has nothing to do with whats right narratively. Its so transparent.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I know it's still got a bit more time on a few screens but looking at box office numbers and GOTG3 has made almost as much as BvS on the same budget and yet.....lol

Its not gunna hit 1bil despite good reviews and fan reception. MCU should clearly pivot in a total panic.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Yeah Fimmels cool. He was awful casting for Warcraft but I loved him as Ragnar and thought he was great in Raised by Wolves. He makes up for some eh dialogue delivery here and there with incredible physical acting IMO.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Gareth Edwards has really deserved a chance to make a big budget original movie and Im very very happy for him. Hes come a long way since Monsters.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Lex outright rants about how no Superman saved him from his father's 'fists and abominations'.

...also guess what happens moments after Doomsday awakens.

This is probably one of the most undersung moments in BvS. Superman saving Lexs life from that Doomsday punch is such powerful and easy to miss imagery.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Chairman Capone posted:

Looks awesome. I mean this in the best way: this looks like Snyder's Jupiter Ascending.

Hell yes fellow Jupiter Ascending fan. I have watched that movie a dumb amount of times just for the visuals. Mila Kunis is awful in it but I just adore its cinematography and set pieces. Nothing modern delivers that kind of space opera imagery for me, but looks like RM will finally take its place.

I still think the Chicago ship chase is one of the most amazing chase sequences ever. It is so bonkers good and has some of the most impressive A to B action choreography Ive ever seen. Its brilliant.

Even shares a cast member with Bae Doona!

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

teagone posted:

The only thing I really don't like about BvS is the title. I don't know what you title it really, but Snyder's idea of calling the movie "Son of Sun, Knight of Night" would've been hilarious, and Terrio's idea of calling it like Justice League Rising or whatever he said was also terrible.

It screams of marketing board room decision.

Man of Steel
Dawn of Justice
Justice League

Flows so much better as a cohesive title sequence.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

checkplease posted:

Skipped to a point in the video and it says Zack is pure, not a single thought going on in his head. Kind of opposite of everything being discussed after that Icelandic song reveal.

Theres a reason these peoples talents are better suited for Youtube video essays and not actual filmmaking.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

All you have to do to understand the separation between someone who is a pompous film guy with ideas and someone who can actually make a finished product worth a poo poo is watch Project Greenlight season 4

That producers misery is all you need to know about why certain directors without the greatest critical or financial success still continue to get directing jobs. Take that season and scale it up to serious Hollywood budgets and just imagine what big productions are like if the director is not intelligent and skilled, regardless of end product.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Snowman_McK posted:

can you expand on this a little? I think I know the point you're making but I also know I will never watch Project Greenlight to confirm.

Basically directing as a job is about much more than successful storytelling, theres a hugely functional part of the job that is very very important and drastically more common of a job than the directors most people can name. IE think about TV directors, how much TV exists and what kind of talent is valuable to those types of productions.

A directors ability to be good at his job on a technical and management level can be as valuable as their artistic ability. It can often effect the end product and a lot of good artistic intention and aspiration can be snuffed out by functionally bad directors. Im speaking mostly outside of the realm of more general audience films(romcoms, low budget comedy, kids movies, etc).

You of course have a set of outliers of crazy, dysfunctional, diasterous productions and notoriously difficult directors that ended up as classic films, but often times with those the glue of those productions are the production teams, from 1st ADs, to Production Managers, to Coordinators, Line Producers, Co Producers and on and on. That burden falls on them.

In the case of that season of Project Greenlight, the guy was basically a very stereotypical film buff guy and everything about the movie under the hood seemed ok, but the production was a shitshow because he just sucked at actually being on set directing. You see in real time how it becomes a management nightmare for the rest of the crew and then you get to watch the movie and see the effects on the end product. Its a perfect microcosm for getting to witness what a bad production is.

Just being able to do, at all, what directors like Snyder do while maintaining a great reputation is a talent unto itself. People question why certain directors continually get work and fail to consider the job of director on a more functional level and even how stuff like agency representation work. Like I get it, I dont expect most people to know how that kind of stuff works when being critical of a director or their work, but at a certain point you kind of should consider that.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Horizon Burning posted:

imo the 'snyder is brainless' take is, or should be, impossible to cling to after the justice league superman death yell shockwave was revealed to be in bvs from the start

Wow I never ever caught this, they are absolutely there.

2:17 you can clearly see them in the wide shot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttEZ7b4Cf9w

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I love Snyder
I love Jupiter Ascending warts and all

This movie is like someone stepped into my brain and plucked out everything I love about scifi and fantasy and blockbusters and put it to screen.

I am beyond excited for this movie. Very excited Ill get to catch it in theaters.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Very cool, thanks for sharing!

And yeah from what Ive gathered it seems once again they made the mistake of not just letting the full vision/directors cut be the standard cut. I hope Netflix changes their mind and for Part 2 and beyond they dont do this dual cut bullshit, its clearly never been the good choice with Snyders films.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

McCloud posted:

https://www.techradar.com/streaming/netflix/zack-snyder-built-a-whole-new-camera-lens-to-give-netflixs-rebel-moon-a-distorted-retro-look

I don't know of that many blockbuster directors that create their own lenses. Dude really is one of a kind

Directors, not many. Only other I can think of in recent history is Evan Glodel for Bellflower. But rehousing older/specific glass into newer housing has been done by DPs for ages. Its not common though.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Why does this keep happening with Snyder?

Do editors just hate this guy? Just let him do a four hour movie, geez

He said it himself, the budget he needed for this and expecting a 3 hour R cut as the standard was "not 100% reasonable" to expect from Netflix.

It sucks because this was supposed to be the point of him going to Netflix, to be free of the theatrical constraints that caused these symptomatic issues with his filmography.

But Netflix has their own corporate restraint that had the exact same effect. These execs are absolutely blind to have not seen this coming. Like did they NOT test the theatrical version at all?

Like itd be one thing if these were just 2 or 3 movies and thats it, but they are betting on a ton of extended material but are not going to have the fanbase necessary to sustain it for years imo.

Who the hell is gunna care about a Bloodaxe prequel comic after all this?

AccountSupervisor fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Dec 26, 2023

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

teagone posted:

I'm assuming another reason they didn't release both cuts together is because if that were on the docket, the movies wouldn't have dropped during the holidays this year. They'd be a 2024 release. Netflix probably mandated their space opera movie be ready for eyes to watch around Christmas time to boost their numbers with everyone on vacation.

Which is again kind of silly. Unless their data says otherwise, Im not sure why Netflix holds onto these archaic artifices of "big Christmas blockbuster". The whole point of that release window is because of people having time off to take a day to the movies with family and feeling more inclined to buy tickets during the Holiday.

Does the same apply to the ease of just sitting in your living room and hitting play when you want to watch something on streaming? The time and financial commitment is entirely different so I dont really get why Netflix would strattle themselves to the holiday release window unless this had a wider theatrical release. But I dont know their data on that.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Kinda funny given 'it loving sucks to be the chosen one' is a recurring theme both in a lot of counterculture media, a lot of current media, and a lot of Jewish scripture.

Ill never understand the clean idealized version of Supes, I simply dont get. Not being kind of sad and struggling with this immense burden at first as he grew and accepted his place as Superman would make me 100% more sus he was a weird sociopath than vice-versa. Its inhuman and unrelatable to me.

Like if you have an issue with how Goyer, Terruo and Snyder executed that concept, sure whatever, but to call the idea something that destroys Supermans ethos is just silly.

One of my biggest issues with peoples problems with Snyders supe is they constantly try to rob him of his humanity and the writers rights to explore his less than chipper emotions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I've said it before and I'll say it again - I don't actually think Snyder is a great filmmaker. He's definitely an auteur, and I generally enjoy his work, but - to me anyway - he's basically around the same level as Baz Luhrmann in that he has a very distinctive voice and I appreciate what he's going for even if I think that sometimes his ambition exceeds his ability, and when I'm vibing with him it's great. But the criticism of him is so myopic and just generally dogshit that I come down on his side 95%+ of the time, which makes me seem like a super-stan.

This is absolutely spot on. 90% of my die hard love for Snyder is more about protecting the position of crazt auteurs with distinct visions and styles in the blockbuster space that he inhabits.

He is imperfect but he is important.