Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

If Zack makes 2 or 3 more movies as good and interesting as Army of the Dead this thread will die like Krypton

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

All of you are going to pay money to watch it

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Barry Foster posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHud3dStWMk

Cool little Michael Shannon career breakdown here

Spoiler alert - he loves Zack Snyder, respects him immensely, and totally got what he was doing with Man of Steel

He's also apparently in the new Flash movie, and you can really tell he doesn't give a poo poo about it and is just doing it for the money. He also went to ask for Zack's explicit permission before saying yes too, what a mensch

Aside from Shannon being excellent, Man of Steel is the major reason Shannon isn't just a bit player/character actor.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

TBH I don't really get why people hate Gal Gadot.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

well why not posted:

Snyder's casting seemed a little left-field during his reign, but he got it all correct. Shannon was of course perfect, and the prescient Zuckerberg/Luthor conflation was simply - and widlly misunderstood a the time - genius.

Social Network came out in 2010 and Jesse Eisenberg playing unloved loser except edgier was not powerful visionary casting (Zombieland, American Ultra).

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

McCloud posted:

Wake up, new details dropping

https://twitter.com/VanityFair/status/1666069807341400065?t=vBnQ1iytuUAaB5IkuIxyPQ&s=19

I love everything about this. The characters all look amazing, the story sounds interesting and you know it's going to have that Snyder flair

Cant wait for December

"Firefly, except good" appears to be the concept.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I got Jedi Survivor for free, and it ran so incredibly badly on my PC that it basically put me off buying EA games forever. If I had actually PAID for that I would have been livid.

This year has been remarkable for major video games releasing unfinished. Redfall in particular doesn't even look like it has real gameplay, it needed at least 6-12 months' more work.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

James Gunn has basically made the same movie 4-5 times since hitting it real big, so I would hope for something, I dunno, a little more off the beaten path and a little less Guardians of the Galaxy 5. Like I don't think he'll make Superman an antisocial misfit, but lol, lmao if he does.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I watched Zack Snyder's Real Justice League again last night on Max, but this time in the B&W edition while I did something else. Gotta say it's still pretty good and at times great, with a great visual imagination. It's still a four hour movie that feels like it has an hour of fat that could've been cut at no loss, though.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

AccountSupervisor posted:

I love James Gunn. I think the GOTG trilogy is the best thing Marvel has ever made. I love Slither. I love Dawn of the Dead. I had a great time with Super. Not a fan of TSS but really enjoyed Peacemaker.

I have zero faith in his whatever vision he has for DC because its predicated on nothing but studio hubris.

At the very least there was a slower start to the DCEU and even MCU by some metric, this cynical overly confident pre-release franchise building without a single proven film is always such an insanely blind gamble.

It feels like WB is constantly trying to force me into a CBM Timeshare.

Comics are built on serial storytelling with a carousel of writers. Marvel film will gradually reinvent itself as its original stars age or opt out, which is already in full swing. CD posters declaring the Year of Comic Book Fatigue (for the comic book movies they don't like) for the last ten years not withstanding.

Like, I get it, I'm continually impressed that they release a new Spiderman movie practically every year now and it always finds an audience. But Spiderman isn't just for me, it's also for the little kids who effing love Spiderman.

Warner Bros. is mostly just trying to recover from what killed off their original serial storyline, endless meddling and sabotage by executives. MCU I'm sure has had problems, but their movies not violently alternating in tone to please the latest fan reaction has ensured continued success and established a powerful brand identity, if not particularly amazing movies most of the time. Firing Gunn was one of their biggest mistakes.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

AccountSupervisor posted:

Yeah Fimmels cool. He was awful casting for Warcraft but I loved him as Ragnar and thought he was great in Raised by Wolves. He makes up for some eh dialogue delivery here and there with incredible physical acting IMO.

Nothing could save Warcraft.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I should probably watch Warcraft again, as it's one of the most astonishingly bad movies of the 21st century. What I remember:

- Travis Fimmel being lit like he's a bad guy in a funhouse at the end

- The orcs being in some better but still not quite good movie (which is apparently the part Duncan Jones worked on most)

- Dominic Cooper's hilarious helmet

well why not posted:

I saw it because I love trash and it was trash. It was way, way less fun than Gods Of Egypt, though.

Gods of Egypt was just an even less good Clash of the Titans remake

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Roth posted:

It is so loving annoying trying to find his actual review to read because searching "Armond White Toy Story 3 review" brings up a billion articles about how Armond White ruined Toy Story 3's 100% rating

It's also kind of a huge yesteryear thing, like angry video game nerds who still review bomb games on metacritic, a site no one reads

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Aces High posted:

I didn't realise that it was Dawn of the Dead that spawned all the "ZOMBIES DON'T RUN!!!" poo poo. For some reason, I always thought that was in response to 28 Days Later (which one came first?)

poo poo, the Resident Evil remake gave you crimson heads in 2002, and those fuckers were fast

28 Days Later was the one that got more heat for not being a "real" zombie movie, because it empowered some people to try to gatekeep genres at the time. Never mind examples like Return of the Living Dead, which has zombies that run, think, strategize, and, most terrifyingly, can't be killed by any method (at most becoming infectious dust when they are burned or exploded).

I think today the only real criticism I have of 28 Days later is that I'm glad the Filmed in Shittycam trend died out.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

IIRC correctly, I'm not sure the ShittyCam was a real stylistic choice in 28 Days Later. They shot it on digital in the early 2000s, they used guerilla filmmaking stuff to zoom in and get shots of abandoned London and such, they specifically chose digital because it was point and shoot and they didn't have time to get setups. Again, this is all from recollection. I remember thinking it looked like pastel muddy junk even when it was new.

I am mostly poking fun at it by calling it ShittyCam, but using a low-res digital camera was a deliberate stylistic choice and it's a bit silly to say that Danny Boyle just accidentally used a prosumer-tier digital camera. The washout in the often dark sets creates a situation where your mind is meant to fill in the gaps of what's not on screen. That works to an extent.

I think where it falls apart is that it looks terrible on HD and the "guerrilla" filmmaking aspect rings false to me, nothing about the movie feels guerrilla (what does this even mean here?) except the low res camerawork. They shut down Westminster Bridge ffs.

If one feels differently, to each their own.

DeimosRising posted:

The only three movies that come to mind as having been filmed on “lovely” cameras on purpose are 28 Days Later (all time classic, beautiful looking), Inland Empire (incredible movie, also looks great) and Dog Soldiers (this may have been more of a budget thing but it looks pretty dang good and is a lot of fun). Can you give an example of a movie shot on these kinds of cameras with intent where it was a bad thing?

There was some odds and ends stuff that aped it at the time a bit (Isolation comes to mind but it might be because I watched a bad transfer of it on Shudder). I think digital being "new" (at least to mainstream stuff) led to some experimental choices like this that just aren't done very often now. It comes across to me as "of its time," like the early 2000's aggressive use of color filtering.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

kilus aof posted:

Fast Zombies went hand in hand with single origin infectious zombies. Romero zombies had every dead body worldwide returning back to life and zombie bites kill rather than infect with a reanimation agent.

Also, by the end of the second day the zombies were being exterminated.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I enjoyed everything about the shark orc in the Hobbit, who only spoke black speech and was so headstrong that he didn't even like to listen to Sauron. You can really root for this character, especially if you dislike most or all of the dwarves, and be rewarded for your investment.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Ammanas posted:

good lord the NO MORE DEAD COPS line massively triggered me.

"Things are worse than ever!" is somehow the line that sticks with me.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

"You can't disintegrate the entire planet, Darkside! That would be unjust!"

And like, ok, sure. But, really?

It's especially egregious for this particular movie, where the characters aren't really in a justice league, and the movie takes place both before and after the actual justice league gets blown up by aliens.

Dawn of the Super-Friends

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I mean, there's a reason that some filmmakers are broadly dismissive of, or even hate, critics. The difference is in getting out there and actually doing it, and having an appreciation for the deeper technical/business side of it, versus talking about it from a sometimes horribly underinformed or even misinformed view. It would be helpful to have more critics with actual filmmaking experience. This is leaving out stuff like every review of Don't Worry Darling mentioning all the set "drama."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Miching Mallecho posted:

Also Batman killed in Batman Begins and no one ever really talks about that, I guess because he said "I'm not going to kill you but I'm not going to save you either" which is still killing a guy

So I laughed a lot in dark knight when he kept talking about his "one rule" as if Begins was a fuzzy memory :yayclod:

https://youtu.be/B0C-DVnPeVM?si=quwyzybhdgq2Yl8M