Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

That beer commercial was for Budweiser and uh..well, take a look

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MZUvib98Rs

It sure makes his "put on your 9/11 faces" quote much more funny in retrospect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Bogus Adventure posted:

What they did to Cyborg/Ray Fisher is loving criminal. His performance is amazing, and it should have been the start of a great career. gently caress WB, and gently caress Joss Whedon.

Zack also left the door open for The Atom to get a solo movie, but WB blew that too. ZSJL did great numbers in China, and a spinoff with the guy who played Ryan Choi would have done yuuuge numbers, considering the actor was really popular in China

In other news, if you're rich:

https://twitter.com/ZackSnyder/status/1653848284627361792

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

lol retroactively beaten, Teagone

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

I think it's very funny because I've seen a lot of responses along the lines of "It's very arrogant of Zack to say I disliked the movie because I didn't understand it, I understood it fine, it's just a bad movie!", but that's not what he actually said. So they didn't understand (or even read) the full quote, then got mad at him for it. And honestly, that's Snyder Discourse (tm) in a nutshell.

But I'll echo teagones question, Esco. What did you think of the quote.

Guy A. Person posted:

With the added context he's even more magnanimous and literally saying "I did a kind of out there deconstruction of a super hero movie and most people just wanted something light and fun" which is literally what people who hate BvS say when they describe it as "grimdark" and say Gunn is going to save the DCEU by making it more fun.

Right, the vast majority of negative reviews at the time complained about the tone and how "dark and dour" it was, and contrasted it with the fun MCU movies. Like, the vast majority of criticism against the film I've seen is about howr they're upset the movie deviated from their expectations or wishes (Superman doesn't smile enough, they wanted the movie to be more "fun" like the Worlds Finest animated thing, Batman killing, etc)

Jimbot posted:

The elaborate "lead-lined" wheelchair stuff in the Director's Cut isn't something I liked. I flip-flopped over that part but settled on "could have done without it". It has the unfortunate side effect of Superman using his xray vision willy-nilly. Like he's inherently suspicious of people. Him not seeing it because he chose to believe the man was there in good faith is a better reading.

Yeah I hate that scene too, it's clearly just there to pre-empt nerds wondering why he didn't immediately see the bomb with his x-ray vision. Kinda like the whole "I've seen millions of timelines" bit with Dr Strange. Supermans explanation is way better, he didn't see it because he wasn't looking for it. That's way more elegant.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Roth posted:

Zack Snyder is 100% correct and Escobarbarian is 100% wrong

:emptyquote:

Escobarbarian posted:

I think the term applies more to the way a movie approaches themes rather than just it having the most surface-level metaphorical version of them, which was my personal take on the ideas BvS was touching on. Like the term “layers” implies depth, right?

So what exactly makes it surface-level? What would you define as depth? Did you want a 3 hour deep dive on the iraq war but with Superman? Like, what's the frame of reference here? Edit: Oh, i was a bit too slow writing this

McCloud fucked around with this message at 00:35 on May 11, 2023

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Escobarbarian posted:

Technically, but he also pairs it with saying it was a movie you “really needed to pay attention to”, and it’s not like the two are meant to be separate points, right? Like he is stating it’s layered in a way that required thought and analysis, which I personally don’t agree with. If a movie is meant to be thematically biblical and has a shot that echoes The Last Supper, that shot in itself doesn’t inherently mean it’s layered the biblical themes in an thoughtful way. To me, that’s how the themes in BvS come across. “The Arthurian legends are mythological and about heroes, and so is the story of Superman” is valid, but I personally don’t think just pointing that out and doing nothing further with it makes a movie smart, but it seems from (the full version of, not just the twitter post) that quote that Snyder does, and it’s certainly not the first place I’ve seen that take. I think it’s fair to refute.

His point about thinking the movie was divisive because people were going in expecting a romp and didn’t enjoy getting this instead, although I personally don’t think that’s the case, is at least something I can understand. But when he elaborates further he loses me. Hopefully this explains my point properly and can quell the complaints of the people thinking I’m just here to kick up a fuss or whatever :shrug:

He's saying that you get more out of the movie if you engage a bit with it. Like the spear for instance. Most obviously, it works as a reference to the spear of longinus, which makes Superman into a messiah character and Batman into Longinus, the roman soldier who was blind but got his eyesight back when the blood of jesus splashed on him, and then became a devout believer, which then carries into JL in a big way. It also plays into Batmans delusion about being a St George-esque knight/hunter figure out to slay what he thinks is an evil dragon. And it also works as a reference to the sword as alexander that was used to cut the gordian knot, Batman uses violence to get rid of an intractable problem, except that the sword of alexander we saw earlier in the movie is a fake, just like Batmans solution to the gordian knot is ultimately proven false. And then the sword of alexander is also a punny reference to Batman himself, because Luthor manipulates Batman into becoming his weapon/sword and into acting against Superman

And this is just about the stupid spear. And the threads tie into other threads! The messiah thing ties into the perception of Superman as god and supermans obvious discomfort at being deified which ties into his bluecollar immigrant background which ties into class war against billionaires which ties into Silicon Valley dorks using media as a weapon which ties into etc etc etc etc.

There's alot of stuff you can dig into here and I personally can talk about this forever, because BvS is a real clever movie in that way. You might not consider it "deep" but it sure as hell is layered.

McCloud fucked around with this message at 00:57 on May 11, 2023

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

I've seen waaay too many people argue that Superman should have tried to reason with Zod or take the fight away from the city or gouge Zods eyes out or any number of alternatives to The Snap

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Lol remember the big time YouTuber and SA goon who tried to argue the family got fried anyway and just doubled down every time someone corrected him

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

https://twitter.com/kgcrossov3r/status/1656978834716086272?t=bap03d3uTHMDHw5br8azLQ&s=19

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Bogus Adventure posted:

That final encounter with KGBeast rules

"Drop it... I SAID DROP IT! I'll kill her! BELIEVE ME, I'LL DO IT!"

"I believe you."

*boom*

It's so good. Batfleck loving owns so hard, and he's definitely my favorite live action version. To keep the Snyderverse living, I use that skin when playing Arkham Knight. It just feels right given the brutality of combat.

The neat thing about this is that Batman shoots the gas tank, so if KGBeast hadn't pulled the trigger he wouldn't have fried himself

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Sup

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

If you're really bored, go through the old snyder dome thread , there's a lot of good posts in there (also lots of bad ones, lol)

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3880957

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

I give this thread a month

this is pretty funny, in retrospect

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Just wait til you hear what he has in common with Lois Lane, Lana Lang, Lori Lemaris...

Oh man, Lori Lemaris. I think we way too easily overlook that Clark had the hots for a fish-woman

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Communist Thoughts posted:

The flash trailer really seemed like they were aping the snyder films which is funny and made me more interested than not at all

His upcoming movies look lame though, that last zombie film was terrrrrible

His upcoming movie is the sci fi one, Rebel Moon.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

It also directly led to elon making a 420 joke about buying twitter which, unfortunately for all of is, apparently was legally binding

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Wake up, new details dropping

https://twitter.com/VanityFair/status/1666069807341400065?t=vBnQ1iytuUAaB5IkuIxyPQ&s=19

I love everything about this. The characters all look amazing, the story sounds interesting and you know it's going to have that Snyder flair

Cant wait for December

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

CelticPredator posted:

Isn’t it going to be rated r, that’s gonna be fun if so

In classic Zack fashion, they’re releasing the ”normal” version first, and later the R-rated version

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

https://twitter.com/variety/status/1666088743487549441?s=46&t=yPIpoeD_1zo6-P4nl9Hh1g

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

I think it's also noteworthy that not only is there a nonbinary actor in the ensemble cast, the character they're playing is also nonbinary, which is rather refreshingly straightforward instead of just hinting at it or queerbaiting

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Grendels Dad posted:

Ugh. Cyborg is clearly Frankenstein, I'm not even going to go into why. Batman is the Wolfman, both because of the animal theme and because he becomes a snarling rear end in a top hat that is really who he needs to be. Superman is Dracula because he has a bitching cape and has a special relationship to the sun. Flash is Peter Cushin because he is wherever he needs to be.

Batman is dracula and i will fight anyone who claims differently, I feel super strongly about this

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Grendels Dad posted:

Fight me then, the thing with the bats and the aristocracy and nocturnal activity is super superficial! Dracula is weak against stuff, just like Superman. What's Batman weak to, bullets?

Superficial?! There's like 4 qualities that all batmen have

1: Rich
2: Bat motif (with kickass cape)
3: Works at night
4: Gadgets

And dracula ticks 3 of those. 3! How many does Superman match? 0, that's how many! If anything he's the polar opposite of a dracula. He's powered by sunlight, for gods sake!

Me right now

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Beat me to it. I was honestly surprised to see a Batman that has one night stands and washes painkillers down with wine, there's almost no version of Batman that gets drunk and fucks random women. At most he enjoys a glass of scotch or whisky or something, and keeps his sexual encounters to rooftops with other masked weirdos.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Come now SMG, you of all people now canon is an illusion

Comic book canon doubly so

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

The one canon event I'm willing to accept

Also that reminds me of David Sandbergs best tweet

https://twitter.com/ponysmasher/status/1405969227467706372?t=Hr1-rJQk7XG9EljfnpI1JQ&s=19

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Found this gem from the full circle event

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeTbJOLO5wo

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Looks so drat good

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Reminder that they basically did all the VFX on ZSJL in about 6 months and it still looks great because Zack knows how to lead a team

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

He actually did an interview a few weeks ago where he talked about how Thour got too silly and he wants to do something different with the character if he ever goes back. Basically said " even my kids thought it stunk so not doing that again"

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

GoldStandardConure posted:

I didn't see Man of Steel when it came out, as I just wasn't particularly interested in a Superman movie. Reading the comic book movie thread began to pique my interest in the movie though, and someone (I forget who) said that MoS was very much 'the idea of God is comforting, the reality of God is terrifying' and that was what made me track it down and watch it.

So what'd you think

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

FilthyImp posted:

It is defined as:

loneliness + alienation + fear + despair + self-worth ÷ mockery ÷ condemnation ÷ misunderstanding x guilt x shame x failure x judgment, n=y where y=hope and n=folly, love=lies, life=death, self= DARKSEID

It's essentially a magic phrase that removes agency from thoae exposed to it. Not so much obedience as it is the absence of free will in its entirety. Mister Miracle is supposed to be immune to it, because dude literally escaped from hell. For a while I think the secret tonit was behind the Source Wall, which is why all those tyrants are imprisoned on it.

Someone once posited that Snyder's Darkseid was wrong and there is no anti-life, just faith and hope. Which would have been a fun story.
Maybe the meta is authorial ontent or something.

Mister Miracle is notably immune to it because he possessed the life equation. Yes yes, comic books, I know.

Bogus Adventure posted:

Originally, the Forever People (God, I love Jack Kirby names and concepts!) explained the Anti-Life title as being that if someone has complete control over you, then you aren't really alive. You're just an automaton, an appendage acting out someone else's desires. If life is about freedom and choice, then this power is the antithesis of it.

Right. To be alive is to have choice, freedom, the will to choose and to act. The anti-life strips all this away, removing everything that makes us not only human, but living at all. It's no secret that Darkseid was created as the platonic ideal of a fascist, the ur-dictator, and the anti-life neatly ties in to that, because part of what makes fascism so evil and horrendous is the way it demands conformity and intolerance of free will.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Bogus Adventure posted:

Which makes it the perfect subject of a superhero saga dedicated to looking into the minds and motives of the humans behind the heroics.

And reminding people that Nazis and fascism are bad are also incredibly timely given the contemporary confusion and JAQing over why Nazism was really loving bad.

PS-Shoutout to the vilest of the New Gods - Virmin Vundabar

]

losing it at "YOU BLEW IT; HYDRIK"

Bongo Bill posted:

The first thing to understand is that Jack Kirby hated nazis very much. The character of Darkseid embodies and revels in all evils, to a degree that even his most ardent followers (most of whom were nazi-like in one way or another) struggle to comprehend because it's mystical. But his most favorite kind of evil is for others to be subject to his will - in thought as well as deed. It pleases him to see people being evil, because he is evil, and that's his will manifesting in them; it pleases him to see people despairing, because he is despair; and so forth.

So he seeks any means to expand his domination. His ultimate victory is identical to his discovery of "the Anti-Life Equation," which is a description of a means to obliterate free will. Subsequent authors have interpreted it as a mathematical proof of the futility of hope, or some such thing.

In order to facilitate comic book adventures, it's described as a fact which can be discovered or deduced by observation, with clues that may be strewn across the universe. But that's interpreting it as a plot device, rather than as a symbol. Consider instead the end result: Anti-Life is the ultimate version of the process which turns free people into the enthusiastically obedient slaves of hateful tyrants, the perfected horror at the core of the waking nightmare of witnessing populations embrace dictators. It's fascism amplified to an absolute, divine degree.

Excellent post

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Grendels Dad posted:

So what is it that awaits, Zack? A new universe or a new galaxy?

Fool! A new universe would, by definition, contain a new galaxy!

Necrothatcher posted:

The alt cover is pretty great. This is Anthony Hopkins' character right?

Yeah. Peep the grail on his chest too.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Vintersorg posted:

Even when he's going bugshit crazy in Raised by Wolves he's so loving boring. I hate him.

Counterpoint: He was hot in King Arthur :colbert:

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Vintersorg posted:

Not my type!

Timothee Chalamet tho...

Call Me By Your Name unlocked stuff.

Timmy is way too twinky for me, I like my men to look like they barely survived a Snyder bootcamp

Vintersorg posted:

Holy gently caress - lmfao

Seriously not a bit.

lmao

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

https://twitter.com/ray8fisher/status/1675151536803160064?s=46&t=yPIpoeD_1zo6-P4nl9Hh1g

https://twitter.com/SnyderNetflix/status/1675113437821583360?s=19

https://twitter.com/snydernetflix/status/1675118567996497921?s=46&t=yPIpoeD_1zo6-P4nl9Hh1g

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

https://twitter.com/empiremagazine/status/1675098791089766402?t=Gcc7rhkIjOTOs_REJnHtyg&s=19

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

teagone posted:

Snyder would've probably made a pretty rad Warcraft movie.

Henry would have made a kickass Arthas

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Jimbot posted:

Please take your meds, Armond.

Please overdose on them, Armond

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

The joke is that one barbie is brainwashed to love patriarchy and toxic masculinity in the newly created "ken land" and when she comes out of brainwashing she's like "omg i imagined i was someone extremely invested in zsjl"

It rates an eyeroll at most, certainly not something to flip a table over like Armond implies