Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Too much dudebro jock poo poo in this thread so far. I gotta post a photo of a nerd to balance it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Don't forget Cyborg's name is literally Victor Stone.

Oh yeah, it's one element where the director/author having sexual hangups or otherwise weirdness can be a fun extra to colour the tone and themes. BvS even plays with the contrast as Superman fucks, and Lois Lane is all down for it (and frankly, who can blame her) while Batman has an anonymous woman in his bed no one draws any attention to, sex is just another bland background vice he's trying to drown his failures in.

Hell, even The Lego Batman Movie has themes there- and of course Batman's crush music is Died In Your Arms Tonight. Doesn't that fuckin' say everything?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I’m going in with an open mind. Zack Snyder wouldn’t have been making Superman movies forever, and even said something to the effect that they’re basically only borrowing the characters when they have them.

That said, Gunn is far away from the last pick for Superman I would have chosen. A lot of (untrue) complaints about Snyder’s works are that they’re not comic accurate, mysteriously don’t get said about Gunn, who, so far, makes original characters using the skins of semi-obscure characters in his big Marvel and DC movies. I somehow don’t think his Superman film is going to be quite as scrutinized as Man of Steel was among certain extremely online types.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Xealot posted:

Batman is the same way: the alpha masculine ideal of this genius billionaire vigilante is instead painted as a violent maniac who’s motivated by trauma, in a way that feels debilitating and sad and not deep or badass. It’s no less “dark” or “grounded” or “serious” than the Nolan movies, it’s just that those portray Batman as fundamentally cool and right.

The Nolan trilogy, Batman Begins specifically, played on Batman's theatrics to put fear into his enemies. The fight scenes were primarily shot from the bad guys's POV to really sell the idea that Batman is stalking his prey. They're supposed to be scary to the bad guy, but as a viewer, they're not particularly scary. Now, the very brief shot of Batman hiding in the corner of the ceiling like an actual bat in BvS? That's legitimately disturbing.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

DC Infinite isn’t comprehensive but it’s supposed to have basically all the essentials. There’s probably a free trial to see if it’s for you.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Superman and Goku have a lot of similarities. One way they're opposites is the nature of their goodness. Goku would have been evil if he wasn't dropped on his head as a baby. Otherwise, Superman is inherently good but gets hid on the head and becomes a tyrant. Violence is a land of contrast.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I ultimately do agree with McCloud, it boils down to an eyeroll in the grand scheme of things. But the specificity of it is pretty galling, especially since this is one of the last films mostly produced under Toby Emmerich of the old regime. Emmerich's feeble "from Hell's heart I stab at thee."

As I've said before, one of the reasons ZSJL is a giant sore spot for these producers/executives is because it's undeniably proof that they lost that pop culture war. Superhero movies have been what powers the Hollywood blockbuster machine for decades. 2008 is the flashpoint for the modern era starting with The Dark Knight and Iron Man starting the MCU. But I can't think of another major superhero movie that has the director's name in the title. It's not Justice League. It's Zack Snyder's Justice League. There would never have been demand for a Snyder Cut if it weren't for executive meddling prior to and after Autumn Snyder's tragedy. It would have just come out, succeeded or bombed, got it's two sequels, and Snyder would have said his peace and moved on to other projects. But all the petty fuckery behind the scenes only served to increase the director's popularity and as a result, made him a pop culture icon. And as a bonus, it ruined the career of rapist and confessed child murderer, Joss Whedon.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

https://twitter.com/discussingfilm/status/1682807135602614274?s=46&t=uiUehxbkNdNcN0PmfZ4Vaw

If only there was a movie where this idea gets explored.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Anyone else notice that the two implements Kora uses in the trailer are a hammer and sickle? (Ok it’s a scythe, close enough.)

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Bogus Adventure posted:

Hell yes

This movie looks amazing. As always, Snyder takes big swings with designs and ideas. Also lolling at Disney looking at this pitch and deciding to make Solo: A Star Wars Story instead.

I’ve heard that Snyder made his pitch like a year before the Disney buyout. Would take me forever to find a source.

It does make me wonder if the seed of Finn’s story was planted by the pitch.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

JonathonSpectre posted:

Look at that loving poo poo-eating grin when Cyborg is about to throw him.

God drat I love this Justice League and it's a crime against humanity we won't see them again.

This is my favorite part of the whole thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPRnJkIMEWQ

I’ll never believe people who call these movies dour. This is quite possibly the most optimistic movie Batman moment in his nearly 80 years of cinema appearances.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

KVeezy3 posted:

Am I down bad enough to watch both cuts of this rebellious moon? uhh probably.

December 22nd 2023 - Rebel Moon: A Child Of Fire

???? - Rebel Moon: A Child of Fire Director's Cut

April 19 2024 - Rebel Moon: The Scargiver

???? - Rebel Moon: The Scargiver Director's Cut

November 2024 - Rebel Moon: The Whole Bloody Affair

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

fr0id posted:

Does the black and white Justice league add anything? It seems like the opposite of what you’d want for a comic book movie. I’d be more interested in a technicolor Justice league.

We did a CineD livestream of the black and white edition when it came out and I think most of us agreed it enhanced the movie. The CGI was already top notch but it made it look even better. The metal on Steppenwolf’s armor really benefited. If you’re ever gonna rewatch it, give the B&W version a try.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The movie intro montage is going to be so sick.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

And so did ZNJL for the other category also created solely to appease MCU fanboys.

I was calling it the Spider-Man award.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Someone is ripping off Star Wars? George Lucas is rolling in his grave.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Rubber breakfast. Honest.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I’m gonna be Rebel Mooning it up tomorrow.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I would have loved to see the stream but I had prior engagements.

I haven’t seen it yet, so regardless of if it’s true or true in spirit, I want to describe it to someone as Star Wars where they say “gently caress.”

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

CelticPredator posted:

This would be wrong because no one says gently caress and there's no blood.

Hopefully in the R rated cut.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I’m starting to suspect that the R-Rated cut might be very R, in a “will probably make parents extremely unhappy” kind of way.

The weird release would make a degree of sense if they specifically wanted to market this as a ‘safe’ version of their Star Wars movie, for families around the holidays.

This is what I’ve been thinking. Snyder and Netflix both want a Star Wars. I somehow don’t think Netflix was comfortable going full R for their potential big Star Wars. Actual Star Wars doesn’t reach beyond a PG13 rating. And outside of the disarming scene in the cantina, they’re pretty bloodless.

One thing that Snyder’s been pretty up front about in interviews is how he doesn’t make violence comfortable. For the most part, the major fight scenes in this didn’t have that uncomfortable feeling like Watchmen or the rawness of Army of the Dead. I’m hoping the R rated cut fixes that.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

https://twitter.com/netflix/status/1743367098133516304?s=46&t=uiUehxbkNdNcN0PmfZ4Vaw

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

https://twitter.com/realtheclint/status/1746010313378373751?s=46&t=uiUehxbkNdNcN0PmfZ4Vaw

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

There is absolute glee on his face when Batman blows up that henchman with dynamite.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

For clarification, I did not bring up the moment out of criticism. That scene rules.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Looking older than you are must run in the family - Clark looked 30 when he was 17 at the time of Jonathan Kent’s death.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I remember when the John Carter movie came out a decade ago people were complaining about it being derivative.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

checkplease posted:

Watched Oscars last night and noticed no one won a best cheer or fan favorite award. Synder still reigns supreme.

Undisputed champion.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Most everyone's favorites will eventually go on Rogan if they haven't yet. It sucks but what are you gonna do. :shrug:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

It’s been a while since I watched Army of The Dead. Does Bautista wear tiny glasses in any part of the film? I swear I remember something to that tune early in the film.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I’m watching Quiet on the Set and noticed something.

https://twitter.com/tomenheimer/status/1769799893537755356?s=46&t=uiUehxbkNdNcN0PmfZ4Vaw

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I just got back from GxK. Is it just me or did they ape Snyder’s Dream Lens in the Hollow Earth scenes?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

https://twitter.com/kgcrossov3r/status/1775161285161681279?s=46&t=uiUehxbkNdNcN0PmfZ4Vaw

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

https://twitter.com/kgcrossov3r/status/1780612195279343652?s=46&t=uiUehxbkNdNcN0PmfZ4Vaw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I just watched both Bahubali films. Snyder’s influence is abundantly there.