Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

i just lambdas and they all have names like buttstack273883DoThinglamba-prod-deadb33f-db9-83939494squishy

what could be simpler

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

malificient_wombat

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

we had PRD1 and PRD2 but they were on the same actual server so it was never clear why this was done

also DR used to be (and by 'used to' I mean until mid 2022) manually moving the disk mounts to the other server and moving the CNAME lmao replication what's that???

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

also DR used to be (and by 'used to' I mean until mid 2022) manually moving the disk mounts to the other server and moving the CNAME lmao replication what's that???

DR == (Disk/DNS) Reconfiguration

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
currently migrating some stuff from devops01 to devops03 so we can permanently decom devops01 :)

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
also we recently migrated from prodweb01 to prodweb10, prodweb02 to prodweb11, prodweb03 to prodweb12 etc

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

we do this, Snap Mirror to replicate the disks to the other DC and to swap you have to break the mirror, mount the LUNs onto the other machine, attach all the databases and change the DNS

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

~Coxy posted:

we do this, Snap Mirror to replicate the disks to the other DC and to swap you have to break the mirror, mount the LUNs onto the other machine, attach all the databases and change the DNS

does it suck poo poo for you too? DR tests had to be scheduled and coordinated 3 months in advance because there were insufficient DBA resources to support more than a handful of servers failing over at once

"So how would we actually do large scale fail over in the event of a disaster?" I asked "stop being a pain in the rear end and do the test :catstare:" was the answer

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
lol, I never thought of that (and I suspect neither did anybody else)

it was probably designed more around the boring use case of single physical hardware failure

so if Bentley DC burned down we would have been hosed, yeah

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

it also took like 2 hours to do it lol

when I had to fill in the architecture stuff I'd write "active/active (not the database)" and people got in a huff about that as well

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
“do a dr test!”

“noooo! not that kind of dr!!”

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Continuous integration straight to prod.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

oh drat there were errors in the annual disaster recovery declaration, better fix it:

quote:

High availability? No, downtime!

there we go, you can send that to the auditors now

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
dev my prod hole

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
naming servers like elon names his kids

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Stick with the prod. Prod with the prod.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
renaming one of the prod servers Jessica

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'