Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022

A terrible Fell look!
Look don't get me wrong. I liked Hienlien growing up. Then I read about Lazarus Long and space incest with your female clone twins that you helped raise and I realized my folly. I'm just saying that it should be judged on a case by case basis as to whether an author is inserting thier own tendencies into their work.

My God what a terrible snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Book 1 is the only good book, Paul is more or less a shinji after that; a shameful failure and not my enperor

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Did the all woman military force that wouldnt turn on civilians because women are naturally tame and calm get mentioned?

Those women were also used in long term breeding projects, in case you were wondering

Although really that shouldn't be a shocker because half of Dune is eugenics related. The first book is about the pay off of a millenia long breeding project to bring about the messiah set up by a shadowy cabal of women who rule behind the scenes.

Nix Panicus has issued a correction as of 15:27 on May 18, 2023

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

I like the part where the gayes are anti-natalist death commandos

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

legendary sci fi is often made by insane right wingers, tormented by vivid dreams. as their dreams deplete they fill the gaps with other night thoughts in increasing measure.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
did the original novels ever explain how nobody abused lasguns vs. shields before the later books?

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
i think the latest movie kind of solved it by never introducing lasguns.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

i have vague memories of DUNCAN IDAHO using a lasgun at great effect against a huge shielded force

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Nosfereefer posted:

did the original novels ever explain how nobody abused lasguns vs. shields before the later books?

yes the first book says it causes a nuclear explosion.

even so, the harkonnens, counting on the shields being deactivated, moved in conventional artillery and shelled the city

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Nosfereefer posted:

i think the latest movie kind of solved it by never introducing lasguns.

there are several lasguns in the new movie

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

okay, so why even bother with conventional infantry at all? a single misfire can turn the entire battle into a nuclear explosion.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

tens of thousands of sardukars could be completely destroyed by some gunner making a mistake

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Nosfereefer posted:

okay, so why even bother with conventional infantry at all? a single misfire can turn the entire battle into a nuclear explosion.

because a lasbeam touching a shield will create an unpredictable gigantic explosion (not actually nuclear) which can originate on either end of the beam. You might gently caress up your own people

Also nukes are strictly prohibited against humans, so if you trigger a laser on shield explosion that people think was you using a nuke then everyone in the imperium turns on you and youre hosed

learn the lore IDIOTS

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

~atomics~

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

paul_soccer12 posted:

because a lasbeam touching a shield will create an unpredictable gigantic explosion (not actually nuclear) which can originate on either end of the beam. You might gently caress up your own people

Also nukes are strictly prohibited against humans, so if you trigger a laser on shield explosion that people think was you using a nuke then everyone in the imperium turns on you and youre hosed

learn the lore IDIOTS

but paul specifically used atomics to break down the worm wall. are we meant to believe that the galactic families somehow know immediately when and where a genuine atomic bomb has been used fast enough to act on it? he didn't use them directly so then it's okay? i call shenanigans

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i think the prohibition on atomics was specifically their use against people.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

paul_soccer12 posted:

learn the lore IDIOTS

and yet, this is treated as a work-around regarding atomics. since every single house has a lot of fanatical guys hanging around, why wasn't this a suicide tactic to begin with?

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Nosfereefer posted:

but paul specifically used atomics to break down the worm wall. are we meant to believe that the galactic families somehow know immediately when and where a genuine atomic bomb has been used fast enough to act on it? he didn't use them directly so then it's okay? i call shenanigans

it wouldn't matter, he was literally staging a coup of the galactic empire and expanding a jihad to bring the houses to heel so they'd be mortal enemies either way

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Nosfereefer posted:

paul broke the empire who gives a gently caress if what he did was illegal

Nosfereefer posted:

in the book they used artillery

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Nosfereefer posted:

he didn't use them directly so then it's okay? i call shenanigans

that's literally the argument he uses...

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
if you try to call shenanigans on me again iw ill loving kill you

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

the great convention forbids the calling of shenanigans

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
1. he didnt use the atomics on humans

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

paul broke the empire who gives a gently caress if what he did was illegal

hes got the spacing guild and therefore the very existence of the imperium/CHOAM by the balls by that point so no one can say poo poo

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Paul threatened to destroy all spice production which would have completely destroyed the empire and that's why he got to be emperor

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

muad'dib ftw

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

paul_soccer12 posted:

learn the lore IDIOTS

i literally read lasbeam as lesbian

Hatebag posted:

Paul threatened to destroy all spice production which would have completely destroyed the empire and that's why he got to be emperor

Escobar should have used his strat

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Milo and POTUS posted:

i literally read lasbeam as lesbian

a lesbian gets lasbeamed in Heretics

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Colonel Cancer posted:

Book 1 is the only good book, Paul is more or less a shinji after that; a shameful failure and not my enperor

Typical anime enjoyed wrong opinion.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

Gleichheit soll gedeihen
doesn't dune go into the nitty gritty on exactly what a lasgun-shield interaction can do, what the space law is with nuking people, and why it's both polite and practical to just not mix lasguns and shields? it's written in there somewhere. maybe one of the later books. also i think it was something that got tried a lot before the era dune is set in? it was one of the more explained things iirc

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

paul_soccer12 posted:

if you try to call shenanigans on me again iw ill loving kill you

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

If they were real smart theyd just build armor out of lightsabers and call it a day

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Also space desert with fat worms and uncomfortable racial stereotypes? Stealing from star wars much huh

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Cuttlefush posted:

doesn't dune go into the nitty gritty on exactly what a lasgun-shield interaction can do, what the space law is with nuking people, and why it's both polite and practical to just not mix lasguns and shields? it's written in there somewhere. maybe one of the later books. also i think it was something that got tried a lot before the era dune is set in? it was one of the more explained things iirc

yes but it ignores the existence of 'terrorists' or just non-aligned fighters in general that don't care about the Landsraad confusing the laser/shield interaction as the use of a nuke or where the explosion along the beam actually occurs. Just get as close to that shield as possible and then hope for the best. If you get blown up along with the enemy so be it.

The actual interaction was stated as 'subatomic fusion' but doesn't elaborate on if this is more violent than a normal nuke or not

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

Gleichheit soll gedeihen

Regarde Aduck posted:

yes but it ignores the existence of 'terrorists' or just non-aligned fighters in general that don't care about the Landsraad confusing the laser/shield interaction as the use of a nuke or where the explosion along the beam actually occurs. Just get as close to that shield as possible and then hope for the best. If you get blown up along with the enemy so be it.

The actual interaction was stated as 'subatomic fusion' but doesn't elaborate on if this is more violent than a normal nuke or not

yeah the whole potential weapons of mass destruction everywhere in a sprawling, weirdly industrialized feudal society where spice is oil thing is, well, some sci-fi poo poo.

also yeah the whole can't tell nuke from laser-shield interaction thing doesn't really follow the in universe rules since atomic weapons are normal atompic weapons (1965) and the other thing is magic physics. frank forgot about chemistry. the spice/oil thing holds up a lot better because it's just magic, which is fine.

doesn't paul consider the lasgun-shield poo poo in the first book? I though that came up as a "hey could we try" kinda thing. maybe not. it's been long enough since i've read dune i'm probably working on very goofy memories of it that aren't accurate

Cuttlefush has issued a correction as of 04:12 on May 19, 2023

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

the butlerian jihad had some good ideas imo

we should ban normal people from using the internet and only have a select caste of highly trained type of guy to act as the inbetween the teeming masses and the internet

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

Popy posted:

we should ban normal people from using the internet and only have a select caste of highly trained type of guy to act as the inbetween the teeming masses and the internet

chatgpt is mentats for all

samcarsten
Sep 13, 2022

by vyelkin

Popy posted:

you really want to unleash posters on an unsuspecting public?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Colonel Cancer posted:

If they were real smart theyd just build armor out of lightsabers and call it a day

They do this in Gundam which also features a butlerian jihad in two series.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

Gleichheit soll gedeihen
build armor out of little exploding bricks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
How about.... womentats?