Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Burns' corner sucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010
I hope both these guys got paid for this bullshit fight

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Wishing for a Burns miracle 🙏

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

those live odds lmao

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
That sucks for Burns but it should be Belal for the title anyway

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Belal's an extremely smart fighter, Burns is too tough for his own good, corners need to be more responsible, this company is poo poo, and five months from now Dana's going to be doing a post-fight presser about how Khamzat's getting the title shot because Belal didn't do enough to finish an injured Burns.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

This jersey crowd really does suck

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

CarlCX posted:

Belal's an extremely smart fighter, Burns is too tough for his own good, corners need to be more responsible, this company is poo poo, and five months from now Dana's going to be doing a post-fight presser about how Khamzat's getting the title shot because Belal didn't do enough to finish an injured Burns.

This.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

For real.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Yeah, gently caress this crowd

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Sean O'Malley getting a title shot after getting beaten to death by Petr Yan

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I didn't think it looked worth a towel going in. Burns was getting his poo poo wrecked but he was still landing clean, powerful shots well into the 5th.

I'm all for stopping a fight if a fighter is obviously compromised but a numb arm and effective offense - with a fighter of his experience, with his corner's experience. I can live with it.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

these people dont know what a bad fight looks like

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Ringo Roadagain posted:

these people dont know what a bad fight looks like

and here comes Henry Cejudo

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

G-Hawk posted:

This jersey crowd really does suck

Welcome to a Giants game

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

His corner also didnt seem to really be engaging with the issue or asking him anything and were just kinda like whatever punch more with your right hand

delightful
Jul 20, 2022
Cejudo is really annoying but im conflicted because he actually acknowledged that he's cringe, so does that wrap around to him being worth rooting for?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
no

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
no

e] dangit

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

BlindSite posted:

I didn't think it looked worth a towel going in. Burns was getting his poo poo wrecked but he was still landing clean, powerful shots well into the 5th.

I'm all for stopping a fight if a fighter is obviously compromised but a numb arm and effective offense - with a fighter of his experience, with his corner's experience. I can live with it.

G-Hawk posted:

His corner also didnt seem to really be engaging with the issue or asking him anything and were just kinda like whatever punch more with your right hand

This is the thing, for me. It's not that Burns was clearly dying and it was horrifically irresponsible that they still sent him out, there have been much, much worse--it's that Burns was fighting with one arm and visibly struggling and there wasn't even the consideration of stopping the fight. Not in corner chat, not on commentary, not anything. Burns clearly could have made it through, but the fact that a fighter can be that compromised and you know it's not even a remote possibility that a corner's going to stop it. That says bad things about the standards of the sport.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

CarlCX posted:

This is the thing, for me. It's not that Burns was clearly dying and it was horrifically irresponsible that they still sent him out, there have been much, much worse--it's that Burns was fighting with one arm and visibly struggling and there wasn't even the consideration of stopping the fight. Not in corner chat, not on commentary, not anything. Burns clearly could have made it through, but the fact that a fighter can be that compromised and you know it's not even a remote possibility that a corner's going to stop it. That says bad things about the standards of the sport.

I dunno, the fact that not a single person with decades of experience in the sport gave a poo poo, and plenty of fans with decades watching it feel the same, maybe its fine.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

delightful posted:

Cejudo is really annoying but im conflicted because he actually acknowledged that he's cringe, so does that wrap around to him being worth rooting for?

Cejudo is an incredible fighter and competitor. It's perfectly fine to want him to win - or like him as a fighter.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

its dumb because you are just sending a guy out to lose and take unnecessary damage

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
I like watching him fight, I just try to never hear him talk at all.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

i hope this owns but it also could be incredibly, inconceivably stupid

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
Cejudo owns. The training/breakdown vids he does with Mighty Mouse are great.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Ringo Roadagain posted:

its dumb because you are just sending a guy out to lose and take unnecessary damage

Tell it to leon edwards.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

BlindSite posted:

I dunno, the fact that not a single person with decades of experience in the sport gave a poo poo, and plenty of fans with decades watching it feel the same, maybe its fine.

Nobody in the booth was arguing that Cain/JDS 2 or 3 should have been stopped earlier either, which should tell you a fair bit.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
Also, I saw some discussion of MMA GOATs and I think I remember he put DJ above him which is pretty cool.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

crepeface posted:

Also, I saw some discussion of MMA GOATs and I think I remember he put DJ above him which is pretty cool.

That's not cool, it's just eminently sensible since DJ is better than him.

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

Lol

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Lol

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

CarlCX posted:

This is the thing, for me. It's not that Burns was clearly dying and it was horrifically irresponsible that they still sent him out,

I just watch this poo poo but to me its when your fighter is losing can you plausibly tell your fighter how to win or are you are just bullshitting them and sending him out in the hope he wings the guy and it all turns out ok. The second it turns into option number 2 its time to call it. He lost, and that's ok. He doesn't need to get his chest turned into hamburger for another 10 minutes

Henry's jaw chomping is weird

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Snowman_McK posted:

That's not cool, it's just eminently sensible since DJ is better than him.

MMA fighter that's sensible is rare and cool

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

crepeface posted:

MMA fighter that's sensible is rare and cool

fair enough.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Also lol

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

henry looks sharp as hell but holy moley this size difference lol

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

Henry too tiny

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

beep by grandpa posted:

henry looks sharp as hell but holy moley this size difference lol

does he? hes getting outstruck easily and clipped by long jabs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Hey Sterling, fuhgettaboutit.