Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Badactura posted:

My bosses are ok but the owner just decided to cut all our wages by at least $2/hour, pissing off the entire front of house before patio season is about to start. If he doesn't go back on this in a meeting tomorrow about 1/4 of the staff are walking out that day.

Get their asses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Badactura posted:

My bosses are ok but the owner just decided to cut all our wages by at least $2/hour, pissing off the entire front of house before patio season is about to start. If he doesn't go back on this in a meeting tomorrow about 1/4 of the staff are walking out that day.

If you're FOH doesn't that mean you don't get a wage and it's all tips? (which I'm sure he will also steal).

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

My wish lives in the future.
It's complicated. It's a fine dining spot and over covid they instituted a hospitality fee of 21% on all bills, but also bumped wages to $20/hour, ostensibly covered out of the hospitality fee. This doesn't make up for lost tips at all and everyone hates it. It has also caused us to hemorrhage business. Lately the owner has declared that labor costs are too high to pay us that amount even with the hospitality fee and is cutting wages in response.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

If you're job cuts your pay you should always walk away. If you don't they know they own your rear end.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

the owner of the last place i worked for drove a forklift through a very important wall because he thought it was not load bearing and had to go down.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

My worst boss was the one when I worked in a scholastic book fairs warehouse 2nd shift. He chain smoked and I'd have to translate really basic spanish for him. He once tried to tell all the spanish speaking workers one of our coworkers was in el hospitalo.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Gumball Gumption posted:

My worst boss was the one when I worked in a scholastic book fairs warehouse 2nd shift. He chain smoked and I'd have to translate really basic spanish for him. He once tried to tell all the spanish speaking workers one of our coworkers was in el hospitalo.

lol

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Virtual Russian posted:

I got hired at a ceramics factory about 10 years back as a technician. Within the first week I noticed a huge problem in production and quality control. Immediately took it to my boss who shouted at me about how he was "self taught" in the field and didn't need anything I learned in school. I protested, as what we were making had to meet regulatory standards, plus it also had to meet basic functionality. He told me that the test I ran was wrong and he'd personally fire me if I ran them again, or brought this up elsewhere. I had just moved for that job, and took on debt to do so, so I privately documented what I tested, plus the results, and worked away for months. One of our main distributors figured out something was very wrong, and while we were trying to placate them we shipped the same product to another distributor, not mentioning the issues. Turned out people talked between those companies and poo poo got real fast. Facotry had to issue a recall that cost nearly 1/2 of annual income.
As soon as poo poo started going down I took my files and data to the owner with the largest stake, who also had been who hired me (there were three owners, 51%, 24.5%, and 24.5%). My direct boss, who was a minor owner, simultaneously tried to blame it all on me, claiming the problem only occurred once I started working. In my testing I found the problems dated back for years. I could never find any testing that had been done before me, but was told it had been done and came back good. Not sure if those were forged or if he just lied. It was a pretty intesne week. I showed that I solved this months ago, and that I was essentially intimidated into silence by my boss to protect his reputation. Accusations went back and forth. What saved me is I could show the problem persisted from before I was there, the final straw was that someone dug up emails from years ago from another distributor that had discovered the issue and we stopped working with them instead of fixing the problem. This was from before when the owner with the largest stake bought in. Weeks later it was revealed that my boss and the other minor owner were using company funds to pay their personal debts and issuing loans to themselves from the company. They ended up getting locked out and the big boss told them that he'd either buy them out or issue shares until their's were worthless and they'd only have a 1% stake. They played chicken and he did it, then he locked them out and had them barred from the premises. Not long after the sheriff's department showed up looking for them as they had taken government business loans fraudulently and used the funds themselves.

That was a wild way to start what was actually a great job. I got my boss's job, we turned the company around, the sole remaining owner was super chill. We'd have beer on fridays and all got regular and substantial raisies. Bad bosses fled the country and pretend they retired.

really cool story!!

speng31b
May 8, 2010

worked at a rug warehouse and boss got fired for lighting little bits of rugs on fire then trying to frame an employee they didn't like for smoking in the warehouse.

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 89 days!
i worked at a dotcom during the boom and all of the network drives and their documents (including pretty important stuff) were just open for anyone to look at. i would pick through them once in awhile out of curiosity and one day i discovered that my boss' boss was cooking the books on his metrics reports to the higher ups. i had a quick meeting with him about it and then for the next eight months my job was to play counterstrike, bullshit with my future partner, and post on these forums. i also got a raise. then the company went tits up in some kind of scandal

he didnt even need to do it. the dept metrics were fine compared to a bunch of others, which he could've learned by looking at all those open network drives

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

The worst boss I had was my manager at my first job after graduating.

The job was fine but it wasn't really what I wanted to do, so I looked for positions inside the company. I was very naive and chatted with my manager and team lead and both were cool with me leaving, I never sent them an email. Find out that at an all higher up meeting later that day my manager acted completely shocked at hearing I was leaving, and tried throwing me under the bus in front of all the execs and upper managers. My team lead was at this meeting, and was the only person who stood up for me. My manager also made me stay an extra 2 weeks at my old position for absolutely no reason.

My manager had a lot of other good hits. I was called in to talk about my performance. She said people were reporting I was slacking, a bad employee, and that I was on a one way ticket to getting fired. She came up with a plan that involved me taking on a lot of extra work, and weekly checkins with her. I talked to my team lead about this when I was leaving, and she showed me the email she sent. The email said I was a hard worker, but was getting pulled in too many directions but that was to be expected from a new employee learning about everything. She also told the manager of the new position that I was a slacker, just wanted an easy paycheck, and was probably going to get fired for something really soon. My new manager told me this at my midyear review.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Had a boss (also the owner’s friend) who got in trouble and fired for accidentally uploading nudes of the boss’ secretary to the shared drives, thus revealing there was an affair going on. Anyway, they were friends and so he was back two weeks later and then he started having an affair with a junior staff member on my team and doing all her work for her. Anyway, that got found out too because the junior staff left a notebook in the bathroom with “15 rules to date me” that were apparently plagiarized from 50 shades (never saw the notebook or that movie so cannot confirm) so he got fired again and a week or two later he was back but then right after he got back he got arrested for drunkenly grabbing a teenager’s rear end during a local street fair event. Fired for good that time

Then the junior got fired because he was doing all her work for her and she couldn’t do anything anymore (or at least that was the official line. Entirely possible it was to just clean house of people associated with him).

Then she sued for wrongful termination and got a pretty nice payout (unconfirmed rumor was $500k) so good for her

I worked for a company like this in college. One of the execs was sleeping around with several women at the company. Some of which he clearly only hired so he could sleep with. There was a bunch of messy drama and the fallout was so bad the owner had to sell the company.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

absolute worst boss i ever had was early stage startup ceo who turned down a $50mil acquisition offer because the board member from the potential acquiring company made fun of him. within a few months we ran out of money and everyone got led to the basement one by one and laid off.

Necrobama
Aug 4, 2006

by the sex ghost

croup coughfield posted:

i worked at a dotcom during the boom and all of the network drives and their documents (including pretty important stuff) were just open for anyone to look at. i would pick through them once in awhile out of curiosity and one day i discovered that my boss' boss was cooking the books on his metrics reports to the higher ups. i had a quick meeting with him about it and then for the next eight months my job was to play counterstrike, bullshit with my future partner, and post on these forums. i also got a raise. then the company went tits up in some kind of scandal

he didnt even need to do it. the dept metrics were fine compared to a bunch of others, which he could've learned by looking at all those open network drives

man my wife's boss put in an email that no one is allowed to take PTO for the rest of the year, I'm trying to goad her into putting that axe over the boss's head but she still thinks it matters that boss is a friend of my sister-in-law

like lmao

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
my last boss got a herniated disk and managed to get his doctor to give him the good stuff, so for a period of a few months he'd come to the office just completely off his poo poo. He commuted to the southwestern Chicago suburbs from northern Indiana so I was always surprised he didn't wrap his car around a jersey barrier but anyway - we'd have these biweekly meetings where we'd give him a progress report on whatever we were working on and he'd ask for changes or whatever. two days later we'd have the meeting again and he'd be FURIOUS that we made all these changes without consulting him because he'd forgotten everything from the previous meeting. We eventually got his secretary to remove the meeting from his calendar and that was that. A little while later he got into a screaming match with his wife in the middle of the office (who also worked for the company) and got a divorce and "stepped down". Maybe he's still on pills, but I neither know nor care. Good riddance.

my current boss is harmless but profoundly stupid. he's no longer allowed to use his company e-mail (everything goes through his secretary who prints out things for him and responds on his behalf) because he fell for 3 phishing scams in as many months then 2 (out of 2) more fake phishing emails the it security guys sent out to see if he was paying attention. it took forever to teach him how to use slack and he clearly wants to, but doesn't remember how to add a linebreak without sending the message so he uses slashes to denote essentially any punctuation whatsoever. he also has the mind of a child so automatically assumes you know whatever the gently caress he's talking about right from the jump so I constantly get cryptic, context free messages like:

its asking for 6 digit pin now / why / cant enter this / I am at work (he was using the wrong portal for payroll software I have never worked with. I am not in any roll that would ever see or use this software)
sean's device did not restart as it should have / he installed new version / did we know this? (no one named Sean works at our company, this was a new client he had met at a golf outing that he was exchanging personal e-mails with)
got a message from mr clark (still have no idea who this is or what it was about, he didn't respond to my questions and just moved on to something else)

these are all from the last week. I'm not sure what this guy does all day except struggle to find the zoom icon on his desktop and collect a paycheck many times bigger than mine. I'm sure I'll be fired soon for responding incorrectly to one of his completely incomprehensible slack messages. anyway he's the best boss I've ever had.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
worst boss I had was evil but in the boring way: restaurant manager that constantly tried to gently caress the teenagers he kept hiring. called me on day 3 of the 5 day vacation I had scheduled months in advance then fired me because I wouldn't make a 6 hour drive back to cover a shift

Necrobama
Aug 4, 2006

by the sex ghost
my sister works for a guy who straight up said to us "the only reason i can live out of my retirement home right now is because [my sister] is running the day-to-day operations"

and i've tried to tell my sister how much power that gives her, but i fear she'll be a lumpenprole forever because i'm just her crazy politics-brain-poisoned brother and she won't listen to me about worker/owner wage relations

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

my wifes boss, who she likes, is currently on administrative leave pending an investigation and nobody knows what its about

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

lobster shirt posted:

my wifes boss, who she likes, is currently on administrative leave pending an investigation and nobody knows what its about

Your wife’s boss was involved in a manager involved shooting in which a truant employee was struck by shots fired

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Virtual Russian posted:

If you're job cuts your pay you should always walk away. If you don't they know they own your rear end.

dont forget to steal first

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Your wife’s boss was involved in a manager involved shooting in which a truant employee was struck by shots fired

my theory is that her boss has traveled to syria to join the islamic state but my wife thinks that is not likely

papersack
Jul 27, 2003

Worked a retail shop when I was younger. Got in before the customers, stocked everything, and made the place look fantastic. Customers aren't coming in yet, so I'm chilling behind the counter. The boss walks by and tells me to look busy or go home.

I clocked out in front of him and never came back.

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

Hey our walkout threat worked for now. Guess I get to keep my job for a little bit longer.

Necrobama
Aug 4, 2006

by the sex ghost

Badactura posted:

Hey our walkout threat worked for now. Guess I get to keep my job for a little bit longer.

WHEN THE UNION'S INSPIRATION THROUGH THE WORKERS' BLOOD DOES RUN
THERE CAN BE NO POWER GREATER ANYWHERE BENEATH THE SUN

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

Necrobama posted:

WHEN THE UNION'S INSPIRATION THROUGH THE WORKERS' BLOOD DOES RUN
THERE CAN BE NO POWER GREATER ANYWHERE BENEATH THE SUN

I won't lie I pushed for the walkout and I was the one to tell ownership and I'm psyched as gently caress

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

lobster shirt posted:

my theory is that her boss has traveled to syria to join the islamic state but my wife thinks that is not likely
Speaking for myself, but hasn’t everyone had a boss that’s done that?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Badactura posted:

I won't lie I pushed for the walkout and I was the one to tell ownership and I'm psyched as gently caress

hell yeah, goongrats! it's unironically heartwarming to read actual goon success story

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Badactura posted:

very cool

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

I worked for a notoriously awful tech company in a low wage dead end job, where I was doing a job worth 4x what I was paid but I was too stupid to realize this gave me power. my bosses realized that though and so were constantly documenting what a terrible employee I was for

-not being peppy enough during unscheduled “lunch stand ups” (I was hourly and had to clock out for lunch)
-unprofessional bearing (would not consistently go silent when my supervisor, who was out of her mind on cocaine all day when she showed up, decided to ask me about my opinions on sex or she’d do some racist rant)
-unteamlike behevior (when I did go silent during the above)
-and worst of all, not doing any production for my actual listed job (because they had me full time doing work that should have gotten me programmer money)

I finally broke down and went to hr about all of this. the next day I was called in to hr and next to the hr person was my boss, and they go good news, we’ve decided to not fire you for your insolence

I survived that poo poo another year and a less insane boss took over and the cocaine supervisor finally got fired and I used that time to realize slightly how the world worked and enrolled in night business school, because it seemed like I either did that or continued to be food to those who did.

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009
The company i worked for previous to my current job tried to get one of the salesmen fired, he had a solid contract with a good commission and was making bank on old sales accounts and I guess they wanted to get that as profit instead. This is Sweden though so you kind of have to have a cause for fireings and issue warnings etc before you can straight up fire someone. At one point they made up some kind of bullshit reason about doing private stuff on work time and gave him a warning, he figured out what was going on and spent a day removing everything that could be private use on his work pc, but noticed Skype and some other program kept coming back again every time he removed it and had an IT guy look at it who identified it as some spying software. He went hard and hired a good lawyer to help him keep track on all their shady doings, and when they finally tried to drop the hammer with the 3 warnings and fire him he sued them for it, got a years pay(also maybe +the usual 1-month-for-every-year-employed but unsure on that) out of it.

I have some undefined kind of trusty demeanor though I think because people confess with damnedest things to me, at one point when I sat and talked with him for bit he talked about all the things he'd do when on sales pitches etc and more or less confessed to buying a poo poo ton of coke and putting it on expenses, he was pretty fun.

They offloaded all his work on the remaining 3 sales dudes and didnt hire another one for a year, two of the salesmen ended up quitting a year after that. The guy they got to replace him was an obvious coke head(the bad kind) who got into a car accident with no license which he had lied about having.

The CEO would drone on to people to near death, and when they suggested something he'd reflexively reject it only to return the next day and repeat it almost word for word but as if it was his idea.

They spent like $10k on some consultants for one of those bullshit color coded personality tests at one point and he was like 100 on red(dominance or something like that) while single digits on everything else(empathy, cooperation and/or whatever).

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Badactura posted:

nice one

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Badactura posted:

get that bread brother

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Badactura posted:

*cash register sound*

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

based simply on the fact that unlike the awkward and strange people in my profession I like to drink and make friends so I got a crazy sweetheart deal as an animation contractor and my "boss" of 3 years now rules, actually

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
back in 2014 or so i was hard up and took a job working for a "compounding pharmacy" in glendale. my first day there i was filling out the onboarding paperwork when the owner suddenly barged into the room, stuck his finger in my coworkers face and said to her "if i ever find out you didnt close a sale again, youre loving fired" then gave me a curt little nod and barged out. that was the last time i ever saw him but it kind of set the tone, yknow?

anyway im fairly certain it was a medicare scam or maybe even a front operation because in six months working there i managed to get insurance to pay for their product maybe twice, they owned real estate all over town that were all just vacant buildings, and they kept moving us around for no reason.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

Badactura posted:

That's badass.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
When I was a forklift operator in a lumber yard we called the supervisor One Eye because he had one eye. He sucked at taking the bare minimum of safety precautions. He was once using the scissor lift to pull down some insulation that was falling off the ceiling, but it was just out of reach so instead of repositioning the lift (which would have taken maybe two minutes) he stood on the rail of it to rip the insulation down without gloves. There was this lock that we couldn't get open so he went at it with the circular saw without eye protection, which was hilarious because he had already lost an eye.

He constantly cheated on his wife and his license plate on his giant GMC Yukon said F8ful. If anyone was ever pissed at him they'd just ask him about his wife, like that scene in Barry Lyndon with Mr. Toole. I worked that job for years and I never saw him eat anything or drink water. Just cigarettes and diet dr. pepper.

Gumball Gumption posted:

hahaha

Hirsute
May 4, 2007
My boss got arrested by the FBI for lying to the DoD and saying parts that ended up in fighter jets were made in the US, when actually he had them made in China!

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

worst boss I had was evil but in the boring way: restaurant manager that constantly tried to gently caress the teenagers he kept hiring. called me on day 3 of the 5 day vacation I had scheduled months in advance then fired me because I wouldn't make a 6 hour drive back to cover a shift

i think this is every restaurant manager, my roommate in college used ot work at jimmy johns and the manager would only hire women he wanted to gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Hirsute posted:

My boss got arrested by the FBI for lying to the DoD and saying parts that ended up in fighter jets were made in the US, when actually he had them made in China!

Your old boss is rad as gently caress