Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
...then would that mean (from the day the war starts) no more new motherboards, GPU's, CPU's, RAM, other chips, and therefore no more new smartphones, tablets, routers, printers, and other devices?

What do you think?

(Asking for a friend.)

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/08/02/apple-chipmaker-tsmc-warns-taiwan-china-war-would-make-everybody-losers.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
We're building next gen chip fabs in the US as a hedge against this.

It would suck and make electronics more expensive for a bit, but I don't think it's a crippling thing.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
if war does break out i just hope everyone has fun

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

Robo Reagan posted:

if war does break out i just hope everyone has fun

maybe even a few laughs crack a beer or two later

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Yeah the pandemic really revealed how vulnerable the supply chain for computer chips and other electronics are, so the US is heavily investing in making sure there is domestic production. The EU has done it to a certain extent too.

Although the EU is probably screwed because its relying heavily on china for implementing 5G infrastructure.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

Deki posted:

It would suck and make electronics more expensive for a bit, but I don't think it's a crippling thing.

lol

Ciao Wren
May 5, 2023

by sebmojo
It's not inevitable, it's just that Putin shot his shot on schedule irrespective of what happened in the US. A Trump administration wouldn't have cared if he invaded Ukraine. It would have sucked for the Ukrainians. It would have dismantled the entire post-War world and all the assumptions that come with it which is so mindbogglingly huge I can't really describe it or know what would happen. But for places like Indonesia who are dependent on Ukrainian grain, a short war with an immediate and decisive victor would have been much better.

An alliance between hardcore Cold Warriors and Human Rights Activists isn't impossible to imagine but I can't imagine that coalition winning against normie day-to-dayism and business interests who do not want to explode the IT industry.

The US is Indonesia is PRC invades ROC. We're better if it is a quick war irrespective of the winner (there will only be one winner in this case) despite the externalities.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
If there's a Taiwan v China war then by definition it will be a US v China war and that means nukes OP

Ciao Wren
May 5, 2023

by sebmojo
Not if the US punts. No reason to assume cold war logic applies.

A Trump regime in the US would have 100% punted on Ukraine and it's not like we are going full brinksmanship there with a Biden administration. Putin underestimated Biden and Nato . . . but not by much.

Ciao Wren fucked around with this message at 06:47 on May 6, 2023

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Ciao Wren posted:

Not if the US punts. No reason to assume cold war logic applies.

A Trump regime in the US would have 100% punted on Ukraine and it's not like we are going full brinksmanship there with a Biden administration. Putin underestimated Biden and Nato . . . but not by much.

If the US punts on Taiwan then nothing means anything anymore to a degree analogous to if the US withdrew from NATO. So much of our international geopolitical structure is built on 1) supporting nato and 2) supporting taiwan that if we fail in either, further speculation is pointless because all bets are off

e: you're absolutely right about trump, and probably about chud pols in general. i still think it's useless to imagine a world where the US actually abandons its core interests like that because if it were to happen, then the basis for pretty much everything we recognize would be so hosed up that nobody could reasonably extrapolate anything useful from it

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Can't we trade Florida to China in exchange for Taiwan?

Ciao Wren
May 5, 2023

by sebmojo
The important thing is recognizing that such a world is not only possible but likely and easily achievable. It's not some weird counterfactual exercise like the Kaiserreich invading the USA and winning WWI. If Trump had done one of a thousand things differently, things he realistically could have, he could have either won the election or succeeded in the coup. Then Ukraine would have fallen in months and Taiwan would have likely fallen shortly thereafter (though Trump has a lot of yellow peril to him, so maybe he would have chosen that moment for brinksmanship). A more predictable CHUD like DeSantis would absolutely give Xi what he wants without complaint.

I can't see beyond that horizon because HOLY loving poo poo but I see the sun coming up. So it isn't a beep-boop "PRC invading ROC definitionally involves the US and definitionally involves nukes" because that is an exceedingly naive and outdated position predicated on assumptions that no longer reasonably hold.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
sir this is a wendys

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
There wont be a China Taiwan war, there will be a US China war that the US intentionally forced.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Piss Creep posted:

There wont be a China Taiwan war, there will be a US China war that the US intentionally forced.

*China invades taiwan*

How could the US do this

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Taiwan has no counter to China's Overlord tanks.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
i prefer to think of china as east taiwan

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Piss Creep posted:

I've honestly never seen you post anything that's even partially based in reality

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I'll gladly sacrifice taiwan for the ability to keep playing video games

Ciao Wren
May 5, 2023

by sebmojo

Robo Reagan posted:

sir this is a wendys

The thing is that it's not. It's some new fast casual place we've never heard of and they don't post the menu at the drive through.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

what if instead of war everybody was friends?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

To keep American kids gaming we need to protect Taiwan at all costs even if it costs the world its collective gamers.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

JediTalentAgent posted:

Can't we trade Florida to China in exchange for Taiwan?

inflicting Florida on anyone would be a war crime

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I will stop China

I'll tell em "you better not!!"

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

it’s coming in 2027 according to the war profiteer division at work, so upgrade your pc in 2026

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Watch Biden start a loving war

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

would xi really attempt such a turbulent action as attacking taiwan

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I've got a 3060 so I should be able to squeak by a few more years, and I guess plenty of older titles I can still catch up on so I'll be able to weather the storm I guess :shrug:

Fuckstick
Nov 30, 2000

The US won’t go to war with China..they’re our best customers and vice versa.

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

To keep American kids gaming we need to protect Taiwan at all costs even if it costs the world its collective gamers.

You have my VR helmet

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Flavahbeast posted:

would xi really attempt such a turbulent action as attacking taiwan

i asked xi on steam and he said hes waiting for the new nvidia card before invading

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Fuckstick posted:

The US won’t go to war with China..they’re our best customers and vice versa.

The problem from a US administration's perspective is that China is a growing economic power with significant influence throughout Asia and Africa. The US's prosperity over the past few decades has come in large part from our position as global hegemon, given free reign to influence (or bully) every other country on the planet into doing what we want. China represents an end to our singular hegemony and its unlikely any US government will take that lying down.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Bula Vinaka posted:

...then would that mean (from the day the war starts) no more new motherboards, GPU's, CPU's, RAM, other chips, and therefore no more new smartphones, tablets, routers, printers, and other devices?

What do you think?

(Asking for a friend.)

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/08/02/apple-chipmaker-tsmc-warns-taiwan-china-war-would-make-everybody-losers.html

Why are you asking GBS?

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side

Deki posted:

From what I've read, modern Taiwanese chip fabs make chips using photolithography, which uses ultraviolet light to get down to the atomic scale.

Building a chip fab is one thing, tuning the photolithographic machines it to be able to make multi-core chips where all of the cores test good is an entirely different process that takes years to achieve. So, new chip fabs such as those being built in the USA are years away from being able to produce any meaningful output.

They also use massive amounts of water for cooling. Taiwan Semiconductor is building a new chip fab plant in Phoenix AZ, which is pretty far away from big lakes or rivers, so I'm not sure how they're going to handle that.

A Chinese invasion of Taiwan could occur well before new chip fabs are in full production.

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
I LOVE GIVING MY TAX MONEY AND MY PERSONAL INCOME TO UKRAINE, SLAVA
I will activate the cabbage-shaped jade to defeat Xi.

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Why are you asking GBS?

Are you... insulting GBS? Geez bro!

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
China is also investing heavily in their semiconductor manufacturing on the mainland. Its another thing that the West has been actively trying to restrict.

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side

Robo Reagan posted:

i asked xi on steam and he said hes waiting for the new nvidia card before invading

It might be all over once the 4090 Ti comes out :(

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Ciao Wren posted:

though Trump has a lot of yellow peril to him

I’ve heard there’s a tape out there that chronicles this situation in detail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

Too bad they are way behind even after that corporate espionage with ASML. Intel has had problems with 10nm for years.