Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

jesus WEP posted:

they were able to buy him because of a loving massive bung to his agent op hth

That’s part of the financial doping, original poster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Backdoor Delivery
Nov 15, 2004

one cool dude

2 Time TRP Sack Race Champion

mila kunis posted:

Concerning

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2023/jun/01/football-must-finally-take-a-stand-against-antisemitism

Polling showed persuasively that the overwhelming majority of Anglo-Jews believed Jeremy Corbyn to be antisemitic and, given his vote share, it’s also likely that he had a strong constituency of support among football fans. In 2017, a Corbyn banner was displayed at Anfield and the Oh Jeremy Corbyn song originated at a football ground, is lifted directly from a football chant and was aired by Liverpool fans during a football match in December 2019. I’m confident those involved did not intend to make Jews feel uncomfortable and were instead supporting Corbyn for his anti-establishment defiance in a city eager for a left-wing government. But given the confrontational nature of football crowds and the community’s well-publicised fear at the time – Luciana Berger, the former MP for Liverpool Wavertree, left Labour because of antisemitism at both national and local level – these were disquieting developments for me and other Jewish matchgoers.

he doubled down
https://twitter.com/DanielHarris/status/1664348686787256322

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

The Saviour posted:

1 Elland Road = potential take over of Sampdoria

By this method, what Italian team can you get for 1 Kenilworth Road stadium?

Ferrari.

Little cross thread joke there.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Every time I see the Guardian begging for money I want to respond no and say it’s because of the way they went after Corbyn.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

hadji murad posted:

Every time I see the Guardian begging for money I want to respond no and say it’s because of the way they went after Corbyn.

I actually did respond along those lines once but it was because they edited an interview with Judith Butler to cut out the part saying terfs are bad

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

But we should do a real experiment. I’m all for proving it by having pep manage Everton next season.

a bald fraud posted:

As translated by journalist Juan Arango, Guardiola told Telemundo Sports: "Give Bielsa my Barcelona and see how much [more] he wins. Give me his Leeds side and we would be in the Championship."

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!

eleven extra elephants posted:

You just don't really hear about much drama coming from City at all (Mendy excluded obviously) Foden was hardly played and benched for a long time, same with Laporte, Walker (after the system change) and Alvarez until recently. Silva's had Barca swarming after him for ages, Phillips is perma benched for being a fatty but has said he wants to stay and despite all that you don't see any transfer requests, he must be doing something right to keep them happy.

Hmm.... How could a massive money-laundering regime possibly keep bench players happy?

J Hume
Apr 23, 2013

What is the best number?
I hate to admit it, but Pep, the bald fraud, is the best manager of his generation. The only thing to really hold against him is that he hasn't ever achieved success with a club that wasn't already close to the top, the way Mourinho, Klopp, his idol Bielsa, and others have done. That's like saying that Messi isn't the greatest because he has always played in great attacking teams, usually as the focal point. The logic for why Pep only coaches top clubs is no different from the logic of Messi only playing for top clubs (until he goes to the petroleum league). Can you blame him for wanting to compete at the highest possible level? Working with the most talented players? In the the world's best facilities? And a huge transfer budget? Earning a nice payday? wearing this rhetorical device a little thin?

Messi was already the top player at Barca when Pep took over, but Guardiola invented the false 9 role to help Messi get more involved in the game than he had in his role on the right wing. The rest is history. How many coaches would show that kind of creativity and courage, to throw out a successful blueprint and take a gamble on something entirely new -- and importantly -- something new that actually works? He did it at Bayern with Philipp Lahm, maybe a City fan can chime in about his time there, but I imagine he's still at it. His boldness backfires sometimes, but it's hard to argue with his record. He basically gets to test out his crazy Football Manager tactics in real life with elite players -- why would he want to do it on a cold night in Stoke?

Hopefully some day he'll find his way into managing a national team, where we can see what he'd do with a team that wasn't recruited specifically for his preferred tactics.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

J Hume posted:

I hate to admit it, but Pep, the bald fraud, is the best manager of his generation. The only thing to really hold against him is that he hasn't ever achieved success with a club that wasn't already close to the top, the way Mourinho, Klopp, his idol Bielsa, and others have done. That's like saying that Messi isn't the greatest because he has always played in great attacking teams, usually as the focal point. The logic for why Pep only coaches top clubs is no different from the logic of Messi only playing for top clubs (until he goes to the petroleum league). Can you blame him for wanting to compete at the highest possible level? Working with the most talented players? In the the world's best facilities? And a huge transfer budget? Earning a nice payday? wearing this rhetorical device a little thin?

Messi was already the top player at Barca when Pep took over, but Guardiola invented the false 9 role to help Messi get more involved in the game than he had in his role on the right wing. The rest is history. How many coaches would show that kind of creativity and courage, to throw out a successful blueprint and take a gamble on something entirely new -- and importantly -- something new that actually works? He did it at Bayern with Philipp Lahm, maybe a City fan can chime in about his time there, but I imagine he's still at it. His boldness backfires sometimes, but it's hard to argue with his record. He basically gets to test out his crazy Football Manager tactics in real life with elite players -- why would he want to do it on a cold night in Stoke?

Hopefully some day he'll find his way into managing a national team, where we can see what he'd do with a team that wasn't recruited specifically for his preferred tactics.

At City he won two titles basically without a striker by getting the attackers playing really fluidly, and he's had some fun with inverted full backs tucking into midfield. He's definitely still having fun making up new poo poo.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!

brocked posted:

Hmm.... How could a massive money-laundering regime possibly keep bench players happy?

that's operating under the assumption that every single one of city's players is a money obsessed mercenary, regardless - half of them could go to any big team that can pay the same

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Guardiola did not invent the false 9.

J Hume
Apr 23, 2013

What is the best number?

HappyCamperGL posted:

Guardiola did not invent the false 9.

Do you mean in the sense that every football tactic/position has been tried by some team somewhere, or was there another coach in the modern day who popularized it who I overlooked?
Maybe you're referring to Cruyff? His teams had a lot of fluidity with strikers dropping deep.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

J Hume posted:

Do you mean in the sense that every football tactic/position has been tried by some team somewhere, or was there another coach in the modern day who popularized it who I overlooked?
Maybe you're referring to Cruyff? His teams had a lot of fluidity with strikers dropping deep.

Here are some examples:

quote:

The first false 9 in a World Cup was Juan Peregrino Anselmo in the Uruguay national team, although he could not play the match against Argentina in the 1930 World Cup due to injury. Matthias Sindelar was the false 9 of the Wunderteam, the Austria national team, in 1934.[47] In South America, in 1941, River Plate's La Máquina team started using the left winger Adolfo Pedernera as a man of reference. When Pedernera transferred to Atlanta, a young Alfredo Di Stéfano took his place.[48] A false 9 was also utilized by Hungary at the beginning of the 1950s, with striker Nándor Hidegkuti acting in the role as a deep-lying centre forward.[49][50] In 1953, English football was astounded by the Hungarian team which beat England 6–3 at Wembley Stadium. The Revie Plan was a variation on the tactics used by the Hungarians, involving Don Revie playing as a deep-lying centre-forward. Revie started attacks by coming into the centre of the field to receive the ball, drawing the opposing centre-half out of position. The role can also be compared to the false role in which Hidegkuti operated. The system was first implemented by the Manchester City reserve team, who using the system went unbeaten for the last 26 games of the 1953–54 season. Before the start of the 1954–55 season, Manchester City manager Les McDowall called his team into pre-season training two weeks early to try the new tactic. Manchester City lost their first game using the system 5–0, but as the players became more used to the system it started to become more successful. Using the system Manchester City reached the 1955 FA Cup Final, but lost to Newcastle United 3–1. The following year City again reached the final where they played Birmingham City, this time winning 3–1.[51][52][53]

Throughout his career, Johan Cruyff was often deployed in a free role as a centre-forward with Ajax, Barcelona, and the Netherlands in the 1970s in Rinus Michels's fluid 1–3–3–3 formation, which was a key and trademark feature of the manager's total football system; although Cruyff was a prolific goalscorer in this position, he also frequently dropped deep to confuse his markers and orchestrate attacks, or moved out onto the wing in order to create space for other teammates' runs, which has led certain pundits to compare this role retroactively as a precursor to the modern false 9 role.[49][50][54]

Michael Laudrup was occasionally used as a lone centre-forward in Johan Cruyff's Barcelona Dream Team, a role which was similar to that of the modern false 9 role.[55]

Roma under manager Luciano Spalletti used Francesco Totti, nominally an attacking midfielder or trequartista, up-front in an innovative "4–6–0" formation in the mid-2000s;[56] this was met with a run of 11 consecutive victories.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

J Hume posted:

Totti was notably used that way by spalletti at Roma immediately prior, in a contemporary context. Spalletti may have been influenced too to try it by someone else at the time, but I'm not aware.

But yes arguably the role, or a close analogue, existed since at least before WW2 in Hungary and Austria.

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

HappyCamperGL posted:

Totti was notably used that way by spalletti at Roma immediately prior, in a contemporary context. Spalletti may have been influenced too to try it by someone else at the time, but I'm not aware.

But yes arguably the role, or a close analogue, existed since at least before WW2 in Hungary and Austria.

Just because it had been done by hundreds of other people from before he was born until the time he invented it, doesn't mean he didn't invent it.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

You don't have to invent it to invent it but he invented it.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
Pep is the false inventor of the false 9

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
Pep Guardiola has consistently managed to get his teams playing unstoppable football and not everyone could do the same. I would love to chalk all of his success up to just throwing a bunch of good players together and telling them to run around a bit, but he definitely has a system with a level of detail that has been the product of intense time and thought and he takes full advantage of the quality of the players his club gets for him.

He's not my favorite manager, but he's good and saying he's not a good manager is a coping mechanism.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Eric Cantonese posted:

Pep Guardiola has consistently managed to get his teams playing unstoppable football and not everyone could do the same. I would love to chalk all of his success up to just throwing a bunch of good players together and telling them to run around a bit, but he definitely has a system with a level of detail that has been the product of intense time and thought and he takes full advantage of the quality of the players his club gets for him.

He's not my favorite manager, but he's good and saying he's not a good manager is a coping mechanism.

That is all definitely true, you can only win with the club you've got and he's a phenomenal manager so of course the richest clubs with the best players want to hire him, but imo it's still valid to point out that all the clubs he's managed have had levels of resources and player talent that 99% of football managers only dream of, and that's often enough to win regardless of who their manager is. Bayern have won the last eleven Bundesliga titles. Three of those were with Guardiola but eight of them weren't. Barcelona have won nine of the last fifteen La Ligas. Three of those were with him but six of them weren't. Man City is the real accomplishment in standing out from past managers, they've won seven of the last twelve and five were with Guardiola, which is a pretty outstanding achievement in raising the level of the club under his management, even if it was done with functionally unlimited money.

nawilo_420
Nov 24, 2021
:redflag:
claiming that Pep is not that good actually has the same energy as claiming that the Beatles were not that good actually

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Pep is bald

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

If you’re clutching at straws to knock Pep then you probably need to hang your hat on the Champions League.

Both Bayern and City could have continued winning domestic pots with other managers. At City at least, maybe they win one or two less and maybe not as convincingly, but I don’t think Pep is the difference to their domestic dominance. I believe both went ahead and got Pep to win in Europe - something he hasn’t done since Barca.

Obviously even that might be irrelevant in less than a week.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

nawilo_420 posted:

claiming that Pep is not that good actually has the same energy as claiming that the Beatles were not that good actually

Actually Brian Epstein was just the greatest manager of all time

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

nawilo_420 posted:

So… a perfectly sane and reasonable argument?

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Eric Cantonese posted:

This is basically it. Even if Pep has had all the money, all the best players, and all the best PEDs throughout his managerial career, he’s always had his teams firing on all cylinders and that’s not something you can say for all top level managers. The fact that he’s never really had to face institutional adversity just goes to where he ranks in the discussion of how great a manager he is and not whether he’s actually good.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Leeds should hire Pep and we figure out this argument for sure then

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

wooger posted:

So… a perfectly sane and reasonable argument?

There’s one of these in every crowd.

emjayo
Apr 11, 2013

greazeball posted:

Pep is bald

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

nawilo_420 posted:

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Pep is the false inventor of the false 9

He's the inventor of the false & bald 9

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
yessss

https://twitter.com/david_ornstein/status/1667479412063850497?s=46&t=Cw3TKWMsijHD6aQf1rSGsA

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Oh baby

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Never in doubt :clint:

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Close thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the sex ghost