Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Shrapnig posted:

Imagine having gawky 12 year old boy body and ripping your shirt off at every possible opportunity.

I didn't know you became a mod. Congratulations!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Shrapnig posted:

Imagine having gawky 12 year old boy body and ripping your shirt off at every possible opportunity.

:chloe:

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

I suspect that Richarlison is a good lad who means well, purely based on the video of him openly bursting into tears on meeting Ronaldo Nazario while Ronaldo is all "eyyy, you see a catering table on your way through, bro?"

ronaldo would probably have scored two goals though

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
my favorite richarlison moment
https://twitter.com/theholyman_/status/1663439949973037057?s=46&t=adAoB9xNWzKpQqKC2CCkHA

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

He's such a oval office and I never rated him when he was at Everton, no idea why Spurs spent so much on him.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

The gently caress is going on in the first tweet lmao

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Big Babby Terdling

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
lmao, I honestly thought it would have gone to one of the other managers who did well with a less wealthy team

https://twitter.com/premierleague/status/1663657053733150722

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread
farce that this nonsense award nobody cares about didn't go to emery

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

pik_d posted:

lmao, I honestly thought it would have gone to one of the other managers who did well with a less wealthy team

Premier league awards have always been poo poo, they never take any context into consideration. Basically the best team has the best players and the best coach. But having the best team would mean you are not actually relying on the coach to have an impact as much as a weaker team. Not arguing Pep isn't a great coach but he has been on easy mode since he joined this Man City team, they already had Kompany, Silva, Aguero and one of the most in depth rosters before he started adding in his players. The premier league manager award shouldn't take Champions League or FA cup into account but i bet that somehow affected the votes. I would have voted De Zerbi, Howe or Arteta. I reckon they did more "coaching" than Pep. Newcastle has same goal conceded as Man City with way less posession, worse squad, least amount losses same as City at 5.

If the people that vote for the premier league awards voted for Bundesliga they would give Tuchel the award for best manager.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Ulio posted:

he has been on easy mode since he joined this Man City team

Since he took over a Barcelona team with Xavi/Iniesta/Messi, you mean.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

pik_d posted:

I could have won the league as City manager. A joke really, especially considering the whole project is a big fraud.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Pep obviously benefits from the best squad, but he did do some significant restructuring of the side and how they play this season, noticeably improving their results as they went on by changing the system.

There are definitely others who did more, but this year in particular I think he is deserving of some praise.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Yes, he bought the tallest, strongest, most focused centre forward in the world and stuck him up top. A kid playing FUT with stolen credit cards could have done this.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Whole lotta Frank Lampard sounding motherfuckers itt

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
I think the guy who won the most games was the best.

And Lampard was the worst.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Frankston posted:

He's such a oval office and I never rated him when he was at Everton, no idea why Spurs spent so much on him.

He's such a oval office and I never rated him when he was at Watford, no idea why Everton spent so much on him.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Manager of the Season nearly always goes to the manager who wins the league, that's all there is to it

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

hadji murad posted:

And Lampard was the worst.
finally something we can all enjoy and agree on

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Emery saved Villa from a relegation fight, crazy how that doesn’t factor in

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I think Emery was the most impressive manager by far, taking Villa from relegation into Europe in less than a full season is amazing.

De Zerbi did well but was building on solid foundations, Arteta did well but the falling away at the end is a big ding against him, Guardiola did well but it's not so impressive winning the title with a Man City team that were already two-time champions and added the world's best striker.

But Manager of the Season basically always goes to whoever wins the league, so oh well. You can't expect anything else.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Man City are still in for the treble and imo it wouldn’t look great if Pep won the treble but Emery got manager of the year for being a lot better than Steven Gerrard.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

blue footed boobie posted:

Man City are still in for the treble and imo it wouldn’t look great if Pep won the treble but Emery got manager of the year for being a lot better than Steven Gerrard.

What does that have to do with being Premier League manager of the season?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Villa spent a ton of money that Gerrard was evidently wasting

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

blue footed boobie posted:

Villa were 16th and 1 point above the drop when Emery took over and they finished 7th and, points-wise, closer to 2nd than 18th.

Conversely, Pep took his team from 1st last season to 1st but with fewer points and the world's best striker this season. He's obviously a good manager but it's just not as impressive imo. Other competitions shouldn't matter for Premier League awards, you don't give the PL Golden Boot to the player who scored the most in the Champions League.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

He didn't win it last year, though, which may have been a factor.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Mickolution posted:

He didn't win it last year, though, which may have been a factor.

You're right, it probably was

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

I assumed it was a vote similar to player of the year, etc, but I looked it up and it's decided by the sponsors so it makes sense that they'd rather have Guardiola on the sponsored announcements than Emery.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Are all the sponsors owned by the same state that owns the club

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

ozmunkeh posted:

farce that this nonsense award nobody cares about didn't go to emery

Clearly should've been Lampard.

Look, it doesn't say GOOD Manager of the Season, now does it?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Scott Parker got sacked twice in one season

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Graham Potter got the most money for the least work which is what all managers strive for

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!

vyelkin posted:

Guardiola did well but it's not so impressive winning the title with a Man City team that were already two-time champions and added the world's best striker.

But Manager of the Season basically always goes to whoever wins the league, so oh well. You can't expect anything else.

It's all subjective but Pep's basically reinvented/revisited his tactics again in a different version of his 3-2-4-1, teams have already started copying it because it's nearly unplayable at the moment, he's incredibly influential and that alone is enough for me. Not to mention his rotation and man management are also incredible (you can argue about money for this one if you want I guess).

Also Klopp won the 2021-22 trophy and not the league.

eleven extra elephants fucked around with this message at 21:40 on May 31, 2023

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

https://twitter.com/TheAthleticFC/status/1664216225109377025

Rut-roh.

Has anyone checked if Radrizzani isn't just Peter Ridsdale in a fancy costume?

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Thanks Ants posted:

Scott Parker got sacked twice in one season

So, technically, did Lampard.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The secret of how Chelsea secured Lampard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7FVmeJXwCY&t=134s

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

TheRat posted:

Rut-roh.

This is the most Leeds thing to happen

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

TheRat posted:

Rut-roh.

They’ve been back in the EFL for what, 3 days, and this poo poo happens.

Normal service resumed.

The Saviour
Feb 19, 2006

1 Elland Road = potential take over of Sampdoria

By this method, what Italian team can you get for 1 Kenilworth Road stadium?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

eleven extra elephants posted:

It's all subjective but Pep's basically reinvented/revisited his tactics again in a different version of his 3-2-4-1, teams have already started copying it because it's nearly unplayable at the moment, he's incredibly influential and that alone is enough for me. Not to mention his rotation and man management are also incredible (you can argue about money for this one if you want I guess).

Rotation: yes, it’s easy when your entire 2nd 11 are also world beaters.

Man management: unclear how it’s possible to judge this objectively. Offloading difficult players because you can easily replace them with fresh £50M signings doesn’t make you a great man manager. Sane was binned off rather than fixed.

Having by far the strongest squad in the league makes it impossible to judge whether anything Pep does is effective, or if they just win anyway.

Worth mentioning too that 5 subs a game has also massively benefitted the richest clubs over the rest of the league. Their 5 subs are as good as the starting 11, everyone else’s are not.