Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

wooger posted:

Rotation: yes, it’s easy when your entire 2nd 11 are also world beaters.

Man management: unclear how it’s possible to judge this objectively. Offloading difficult players because you can easily replace them with fresh £50M signings doesn’t make you a great man manager. Sane was binned off rather than fixed.

Having by far the strongest squad in the league makes it impossible to judge whether anything Pep does is effective, or if they just win anyway.

Worth mentioning too that 5 subs a game has also massively benefitted the richest clubs over the rest of the league. Their 5 subs are as good as the starting 11, everyone else’s are not.

It's a weird award anyway. If Pep pulls of a Treble, much of that is going to be down to his undeniably good coaching. Plenty of managers can't reach those heights even when they're at a Barca, Madrid, PSG or Bayern so I don't think you can just point at the bags of cash and financial misconduct.

That being said, the award is supposed to be only for managerial excellence in the Premier League, right? Then it's a bit less impressive that Pep won the League because he's been winning the league for a long time now and I don't think it was a particularly hard title race for him. (No offense to Arsenal fans.) Emery or De Zerbi both did much more out of circumstances where you would expect much less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

I mean, I'm remembering Roberto Mancini managing City and them being a clown team full of clowns who turn up to away games in a tiny clown car and beat Arsenal

I don't think it's entirely coincidental that Barca's period of having "the best team in football" while Pep just stands there being bald also happened with him being in charge

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

"BAM! The ole fork in the eye!!"
my feeling is that managing a mega-club with mega-elite players is a challenge distinct from just 'managing a club', requires an entire different skill set. Like, I'm sure Steve Bruce would do okay, maybe, at Man City, but he's not winning the league with the same players pep had.

Similarly, if you plonked Pep at Chelsea RIGHT NOW, they'd be comfy champs in a season or two.

Managing a smaller club requires different skills and I dont think Pep could do it, but I think its a bit silly to say he isnt the best manager in the premier league; he simply is.

All that said, while Pep is the best football manager in the world today, Emery did the best job managing a football team in the Premier League this season.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Yes, Pep has proven time and time again that with the most money and the best players he can win titles.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!

wooger posted:

Rotation: yes, it’s easy when your entire 2nd 11 are also world beaters.

Man management: unclear how it’s possible to judge this objectively. Offloading difficult players because you can easily replace them with fresh £50M signings doesn’t make you a great man manager. Sane was binned off rather than fixed.

They're world beaters because of Pep though, obviously a lot of the players were already world class but can anybody really say they rated Stones/Akanji/Ake before Pep got his hands on them?

Sane was sold for 50 million and was played frequently when he was absolute shite, looking at his Bayern form it looks more like it's a Sane issue rather than Pep, same with Sterling, how's he doing at Chelsea?

Cancelo was sent on loan for his bust up and replaced by a combo of Stones and Lewis, but they're not particularly who I'm talking about. You just don't really hear about much drama coming from City at all (Mendy excluded obviously) Foden was hardly played and benched for a long time, same with Laporte, Walker (after the system change) and Alvarez until recently. Silva's had Barca swarming after him for ages, Phillips is perma benched for being a fatty but has said he wants to stay and despite all that you don't see any transfer requests, he must be doing something right to keep them happy.

Also I don't really have much to say about the 5 subs thing, you can look at it eitherways but Pep barely loving uses subs which I would say is his main major issue.

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

manchester united should try to learn from peps examples, spending the most money year after year doesn't seem to be working for them

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

It's worth remembering that the team that has spent the most money on transfers over the last 5 years finished in 12th.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
I mean that's the point, for everyone saying they/anyone could win the league with what Pep has at his disposal, other clubs have spent more than us since he arrived and have won gently caress all. Chelsea are a loving joke, Man United have spent shitloads for one or two cups.

Idk how totally accurate this table is but it puts City at 10th in the list of net expenditure for the last 5 years.

https://www.football365.com/news/transfers-premier-league-five-year-net-spend-man-utd-man-city

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
The man made Fabian 'basics of football' Delph the best LB in the league a few years ago, that alone deserves a lifetime achievement.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Butterfly Valley posted:

I mean that's the point, for everyone saying they/anyone could win the league with what Pep has at his disposal, other clubs have spent more than us since he arrived and have won gently caress all. Chelsea are a loving joke, Man United have spent shitloads for one or two cups.

Idk how totally accurate this table is but it puts City at 10th in the list of net expenditure for the last 5 years.

https://www.football365.com/news/transfers-premier-league-five-year-net-spend-man-utd-man-city

I'm too lazy to go and find the numbers again, but I remember seeing something to the effect that league performance tracks very strongly against wage expenditure rather than transfer spend

I can guarantee you that City are not 10th in wages, even before their crooked birthday cake dealings that are going to get their titles stripped

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

to be fair, I would assume that City also have the transfer advantage that United used to before Americans ruined it

Peter Ridsdale would promise you £10m starting a year from now, split into fourty-eight amortised bi-monthly payments

Martin Edwards would open a suitcase full of £20 notes and tell you to put Louis Saha in the van

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

city has 115 charges of financial fraud so I wouldn't trust any numbers in the media

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

FullLeatherJacket posted:

I'm too lazy to go and find the numbers again, but I remember seeing something to the effect that league performance tracks very strongly against wage expenditure rather than transfer spend

I think what you mean is that pep has a magical ability to keep squad players happy that no other manager possesses :colbert:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

UnderFreddy posted:

city has 115 charges of financial fraud so I wouldn't trust any numbers in the media

League performance tracks very strongly against birthday cake expenditure

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Butterfly Valley posted:

I hate being "that guy," but in light of the Football Leaks, I am inclined to view CIty's official numbers with a lot of skepticism.

That might make me a hater and I accept that.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

UnderFreddy posted:

All of which date to 5 years or more ago when we were trying to muscle our way into the top before the FFP door slammed shut.

We got financially juiced, legally or otherwise, but the last few years have definitely been more balanced finances wise

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Butterfly Valley posted:

All of which date to 5 years or more ago when we were trying to muscle our way into the top before the FFP door slammed shut.

We got financially juiced, legally or otherwise, but the last few years have definitely been more balanced finances wise

Given that there seems to be a multi year delay between the financial crimes and the charges isn’t it possible and maybe even likely that City are still cooking the books and just haven’t been done for it yet?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I am obviously biased here as an oil club supporter but I think people need to be honest that pep, klopp and howe too,.genuinely improve players regardless of how good they are and a great manager does this too. Steve bruce had our good players playing like shite

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Simiain posted:

my feeling is that managing a mega-club with mega-elite players is a challenge distinct from just 'managing a club', requires an entire different skill set. Like, I'm sure Steve Bruce would do okay, maybe, at Man City, but he's not winning the league with the same players pep had.

Similarly, if you plonked Pep at Chelsea RIGHT NOW, they'd be comfy champs in a season or two.

Managing a smaller club requires different skills and I dont think Pep could do it, but I think its a bit silly to say he isnt the best manager in the premier league; he simply is.

All that said, while Pep is the best football manager in the world today, Emery did the best job managing a football team in the Premier League this season.

I think any top half manager could win the league with City’s squad, and I’m not sure that Pep would do even a single league position better if swapped into their jobs. He’s not forming these players from dust, they’re amazing players already.

Haaland would’ve been the best striker in the league at any club, they got him because they pay the most and can offer trophies.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

It's worth remembering that the team that has spent the most money on transfers over the last 5 years finished in 12th.

Spending money on transfers is meaningless, it’s throwing money to your rivals. Spending money on the wages required to attract and retain talent is far more important, as is investment in facilities.

Their spending over a decade is massive. And they’re blatant financial cheats in any case, you can ignore the numbers on paper.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

wooger posted:

I think any top half manager could win the league with City’s squad, and I’m not sure that Pep would do even a single league position better if swapped into their jobs. He’s not forming these players from dust, they’re amazing players already.

This is bullshit tbh. City's squad is Pep's squad, he's built it entirely around how he wants them to play and a number of them were unfancied or comparative bargains who he's got the best out of. There's loads of money yes but it's being applied with a consistent and planned approach over many years, leading to our recent dominance - which even then was pushed to the brink a few times by an excellent Liverpool. Pellegrini and Mancini had all the cash and wage bill they wanted too but didn't come close to Pep.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Consistent financially doping yes

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I do think it’s probably fair to say that there are several other highly expensive squads likely built off of some degree of financial crimes that are in fact not performing at a similar level to the bald fraud’s men. But we should do a real experiment. I’m all for proving it by having pep manage Everton next season.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

For comparison, Frank needs to manage Man City for the season.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
Concerning

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2023/jun/01/football-must-finally-take-a-stand-against-antisemitism

Polling showed persuasively that the overwhelming majority of Anglo-Jews believed Jeremy Corbyn to be antisemitic and, given his vote share, it’s also likely that he had a strong constituency of support among football fans. In 2017, a Corbyn banner was displayed at Anfield and the Oh Jeremy Corbyn song originated at a football ground, is lifted directly from a football chant and was aired by Liverpool fans during a football match in December 2019. I’m confident those involved did not intend to make Jews feel uncomfortable and were instead supporting Corbyn for his anti-establishment defiance in a city eager for a left-wing government. But given the confrontational nature of football crowds and the community’s well-publicised fear at the time – Luciana Berger, the former MP for Liverpool Wavertree, left Labour because of antisemitism at both national and local level – these were disquieting developments for me and other Jewish matchgoers.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread
Lol incredible.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

mila kunis posted:

Concerning

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2023/jun/01/football-must-finally-take-a-stand-against-antisemitism

Polling showed persuasively that the overwhelming majority of Anglo-Jews believed Jeremy Corbyn to be antisemitic and, given his vote share, it’s also likely that he had a strong constituency of support among football fans. In 2017, a Corbyn banner was displayed at Anfield and the Oh Jeremy Corbyn song originated at a football ground, is lifted directly from a football chant and was aired by Liverpool fans during a football match in December 2019. I’m confident those involved did not intend to make Jews feel uncomfortable and were instead supporting Corbyn for his anti-establishment defiance in a city eager for a left-wing government. But given the confrontational nature of football crowds and the community’s well-publicised fear at the time – Luciana Berger, the former MP for Liverpool Wavertree, left Labour because of antisemitism at both national and local level – these were disquieting developments for me and other Jewish matchgoers.

lmao

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

mila kunis posted:

Concerning

the wrongest thread

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

Butterfly Valley posted:

What team lost to that joke in the CL final again?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Oh no I am brutally owned

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

mila kunis posted:

Concerning

Good grief

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Butterfly Valley posted:

This is bullshit tbh. City's squad is Pep's squad, he's built it entirely around how he wants them to play and a number of them were unfancied or comparative bargains who he's got the best out of. There's loads of money yes but it's being applied with a consistent and planned approach over many years, leading to our recent dominance - which even then was pushed to the brink a few times by an excellent Liverpool. Pellegrini and Mancini had all the cash and wage bill they wanted too but didn't come close to Pep.

Besides Akanji who does look a genuine bargain, who else in the squad is anything other than a big money signing? I’m exempting Haaland as he was on a release clause that any other big club would be able to afford

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Besides Akanji who does look a genuine bargain, who else in the squad is anything other than a big money signing? I’m exempting Haaland as he was on a release clause that any other big club would be able to afford

Julian Alvarez was definitely a bargain

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I'm willing to admit I was baffled by the Nathan Ake signing when it happened because he didn't look worth 41m at Bournemouth

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

mila kunis posted:

Concerning

This is legitimately one of the most deranged football pundit takes I think I've ever seen.

EDIT: I was not baffled by City signing Ake - honestly wanted him to join Liverpool that summer as CB and LB cover, but instead we signed Tsimikas and (one injury-riddled season later, when we could have used a good CB option with Prem experience) Konate. As much as I like Kostas I think we'd be better served right now with having Ake instead, considering how basically our entire central defence (besides Konate) are in decline right now and he's just hitting his peak.

an_mutt fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jun 2, 2023

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

I’m exempting Haaland as he was on a release clause that any other big club would be able to afford

Also worth noting that City were able to buy Human Cheat Code Erling Haaland at a very reasonable price as a result of years of financial doping.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

you really think someone would do that

just go on guardian commentisfree and post inflammatory nonsense that will be shared and clicked on many times

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

blue footed boobie posted:

Also worth noting that City were able to buy Human Cheat Code Erling Haaland at a very reasonable price as a result of years of financial doping.
they were able to buy him because of a loving massive bung to his agent op hth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

jesus WEP posted:

they were able to buy him because of a loving massive bung to his agent op hth

And to his father, who incidentally just moved to tax paradise Switzerland this week.