Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Jose posted:

Doea anyone have an athletic or similar article about how Liverpool went from a mess to smashing everyone to nearly get 4th?

we got back like one midfielder from injury

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
tangentially PL related, but Bielsa was just announced as the manager of Uruguay so he will not likely be taking over any of the league's managerial vacancies.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

vyelkin posted:

tangentially PL related, but Bielsa was just announced as the manager of Uruguay so he will not likely be taking over any of the league's managerial vacancies.

Shame. Still think Everton (?) should have given him the U23 job for the season like he wanted

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Folarin Balogun is America

https://twitter.com/FabrizioRomano/status/1658479098015158278?cxt=HHwWjMDUifz8jIQuAAAA

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004

Failarin Badogun

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

He believes, that he can win

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

guess England will have to make do with players good enough to play for Middlesbrough and better

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

How's that been working out for them?

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Shrapnig posted:

How's that been working out for them?

bout as well as you'd expect from a middlesbrough-level bar

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

Jose posted:

Doea anyone have an athletic or similar article about how Liverpool went from a mess to smashing everyone to nearly get 4th?
Trent changing his role, Curtis Jones being a selectable midfielder who can actually press and do things with the ball, and the return of Diaz/Jota are the main reasons, I'm guessing. These all basically happened during and after the draw with Arsenal last month.

I don't follow the Star Wars expanded universe shite.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

FullLeatherJacket posted:

bout as well as you'd expect from a middlesbrough-level bar

What if they're all Juninhos and Ravanellis?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Apparently Arsenal are going to sell Xhaka to Leverkusen

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

My understanding is that he wants to go home

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Leverkusen is not in Switzerland or Albania op

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Home to Leverkusen?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

He played in Germany for four years, fairly sure he's mentioned family reasons are partly behind the decision

E: https://www.kicker.de/warum-bayer-bei-xhaka-gute-chancen-hat-950672/artikel

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 20:51 on May 16, 2023

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

TheRat posted:

with Afonso Alves up front, missing a whole load of sitters

phwoar

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

TheRat posted:

Only the english ones remember, more like a Lee Cattermole baseline

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

an_mutt posted:

Trent changing his role, Curtis Jones being a selectable midfielder who can actually press and do things with the ball, and the return of Diaz/Jota are the main reasons, I'm guessing. These all basically happened during and after the draw with Arsenal last month.

Also, the scientifically proven anti-Liverpool bias among the refs haven’t helped.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Jose posted:

We realised Trent is a bad defender and a good midfielder, had a half dozen players come back from injury, and stopped regularly shipping a goal inside the first five minutes of every game.

Plowing Man U like a fallow field didn't hurt either.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Is there a good long(ish) read on Leicester? From the stats it looks like they found a formula that worked Moneyball/Brentford/Brighton-style, got into the PL, kept going and then either the owners decided to change a load of things round or they abandoned their strategy in the transfer windows and hosed It.

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
their hopes crashed with Srivaddhanaprabha

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You wouldn't have gotten me in a helicopter before that, definitely not afterwards

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Bea Nanner posted:

their hopes crashed with Srivaddhanaprabha

Not necessarily that, but COVID causing Thailand to shut up shop for 2+ years to international tourism. King Power has a ton of the duty free and other high-end retail near tourist towns in Thailand, so it’s entirely predictable they hit cash issues from that.

There isn’t a good post-mortem on Leicester yet, I’ll keep my eyes on The Athletic for one, at the moment their focus is on how and why they’re resigned for the drop.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
Remember the monkeys flipping their poo poo and blood sport fighting over some loose yogurt cups in Thailand early in the pandemic because tourists weren't around to feed them directly or indirectly?

Yeah.

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
Tried to write a carepost but I never really liked Xhaka. Him leaving is a good thing, and this is a good time to do it, but Arsenal are already short in that area. Hopefully, Arteta can figure something out, but I'm not sure the squad will ride out his absence without impact. Even if we get Rice and Caicedo, it is a bit of a pipe dream to expect them to perfectly slot in. Realistically, we get one or none of those, so lots of work to even get back to baseline. His past 2 years at the club have been his best and ultimately I think he is a decent player. I think it's good for everyone if he leaves in the summer.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Bea Nanner posted:

Even if we get Rice and Caicedo, it is a bit of a pipe dream to expect them to perfectly slot in. Realistically, we get one or none of those, so lots of work to even get back to baseline.

Youri Tielemanns on a free plus Rice and/or Caicedo would be my idea but who knows. I’m more cold on Caicedo but still, this ain’t FIFA or FM so.

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
It also complicates my preference for Partey to be shown the door.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

they should get seko fofana, he's incredible

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Bea Nanner posted:

Considering the rumblings have been Rice and Caicedo (which, how :psyduck: ) this also seems possible. Guessing if he does go it won’t be to a Premier League team.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
rip xhaka, this is one of the biggest lols i've had at football in the past few years

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pu3Nalr7QKM

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Bea Nanner posted:

Tried to write a carepost but I never really liked Xhaka. Him leaving is a good thing, and this is a good time to do it, but Arsenal are already short in that area. Hopefully, Arteta can figure something out, but I'm not sure the squad will ride out his absence without impact. Even if we get Rice and Caicedo, it is a bit of a pipe dream to expect them to perfectly slot in. Realistically, we get one or none of those, so lots of work to even get back to baseline. His past 2 years at the club have been his best and ultimately I think he is a decent player. I think it's good for everyone if he leaves in the summer.

So why is it good? He’s a flawed player but he was also a nailed on starter and is ultimately pretty good in the grand scheme of things. It seems like it would be best to keep him and rotate the midfield more.

Bea Nanner posted:

Don’t know what you’re talking about here there doesn’t seem to be any public record of why Partey should be shown the door.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

blue footed boobie posted:

Don’t know what you’re talking about here there doesn’t seem to be any public record of why Partey should be shown the door.

Must be his recent form. In his last few games he's had the touch of a r....ight is that the time already? I'd better be off.

Replacing both at once is risky AF though. Especially with Champions League football next year. A big part of the difference between us and City this year was the strength of the squad and ability to rotate, as opposed to first elevens. Xhaka on the bench / as a rotational option would have taken our weakest point and turned him into one of our strongest bench options.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

The idea of Arsenal buying two £100m+ midfielders in one window seems a bit far fetched.

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!

Thanks Ants posted:

Is there a good long(ish) read on Leicester? From the stats it looks like they found a formula that worked Moneyball/Brentford/Brighton-style, got into the PL, kept going and then either the owners decided to change a load of things round or they abandoned their strategy in the transfer windows and hosed It.

Up until last year Vardy was banging in 15+ a season and this year he isn't so they're bottom of the league instead of top half?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

PYF Xhaka moment

https://twitter.com/samjdean/status/1614703576009392129?s=46

Mr Snips
Jan 9, 2009

It would be a bit of a shame to see Xhaka go after he finally gets put in a position to suit his strengths, but he won't be given a 4 year contract at Arsenal so I don't blame him for wanting to move on to get some security for what might be his last years as a player

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

It was my understanding that Naby Keita just needed time at Liverpool so I'm utterly shocked about this.

https://twitter.com/LFC/status/1658865104970997762?cxt=HHwWhICzgcTBvIUuAAAA

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
AOC just needed time (for his ever increasing list of injuries and diseases to heal)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
https://twitter.com/fabrizioromano/status/1658866998212698113