Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

harperdc posted:

Luton’s still planning on building a new town center stadium of ~20k capacity, but I think it was £5 mil or so they’d need to do immediately to the current patch for next year.

Not exactly a hardship considering how much TV money they get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

eleven extra elephants posted:

It's all subjective but Pep's basically reinvented/revisited his tactics again in a different version of his 3-2-4-1, teams have already started copying it because it's nearly unplayable at the moment, he's incredibly influential and that alone is enough for me. Not to mention his rotation and man management are also incredible (you can argue about money for this one if you want I guess).

Rotation: yes, it’s easy when your entire 2nd 11 are also world beaters.

Man management: unclear how it’s possible to judge this objectively. Offloading difficult players because you can easily replace them with fresh £50M signings doesn’t make you a great man manager. Sane was binned off rather than fixed.

Having by far the strongest squad in the league makes it impossible to judge whether anything Pep does is effective, or if they just win anyway.

Worth mentioning too that 5 subs a game has also massively benefitted the richest clubs over the rest of the league. Their 5 subs are as good as the starting 11, everyone else’s are not.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Simiain posted:

my feeling is that managing a mega-club with mega-elite players is a challenge distinct from just 'managing a club', requires an entire different skill set. Like, I'm sure Steve Bruce would do okay, maybe, at Man City, but he's not winning the league with the same players pep had.

Similarly, if you plonked Pep at Chelsea RIGHT NOW, they'd be comfy champs in a season or two.

Managing a smaller club requires different skills and I dont think Pep could do it, but I think its a bit silly to say he isnt the best manager in the premier league; he simply is.

All that said, while Pep is the best football manager in the world today, Emery did the best job managing a football team in the Premier League this season.

I think any top half manager could win the league with City’s squad, and I’m not sure that Pep would do even a single league position better if swapped into their jobs. He’s not forming these players from dust, they’re amazing players already.

Haaland would’ve been the best striker in the league at any club, they got him because they pay the most and can offer trophies.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

It's worth remembering that the team that has spent the most money on transfers over the last 5 years finished in 12th.

Spending money on transfers is meaningless, it’s throwing money to your rivals. Spending money on the wages required to attract and retain talent is far more important, as is investment in facilities.

Their spending over a decade is massive. And they’re blatant financial cheats in any case, you can ignore the numbers on paper.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

nawilo_420 posted:

claiming that Pep is not that good actually has the same energy as claiming that the Beatles were not that good actually

So… a perfectly sane and reasonable argument?