Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Baronash posted:

It doesn't really sound like they did. At best it sounds like it might give them a little extra information when negotiating the next contract, but being unable to share those numbers with their membership seems to take a lot of the benefit away.
Meanwhile, the only viewership-based pay scheme they managed to negotiate seems to be a relatively small bonus for writing something so popular that 1 out of every 5 subscribers watches it. :wtc:
I'm waiting for the bullet point list that was around at the start that gave us poo poo like
"Please provide water for dancers if they are performing 18 hours"
/
"studios will allow 5 minute break and a box fan"

The AI poo poo is going to be the big rear view window item in a few years, but the streaming numbers is likely the house-of-cards toppler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

The streaming numbers thing honestly sounds like people were right about the numbers being completely hosed and the studios are just trying to mitigate how much that’s going to destroy them by insisting that the union can’t tell anyone.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

FilthyImp posted:

I'm waiting for the bullet point list that was around at the start that gave us poo poo like
"Please provide water for dancers if they are performing 18 hours"
/
"studios will allow 5 minute break and a box fan"

The AI poo poo is going to be the big rear view window item in a few years, but the streaming numbers is likely the house-of-cards toppler.

I think this is what you're looking for.
https://www.wgacontract2023.org/WGAContract/files/WGA-Negotiations-Tentative-Agreement.pdf
It shows in one column what was initially request, then what the studios initially came back with (the eat poo poo and die column), and then what was agreed to.

Confusedslight posted:

They're making it sounds likes it's a completely done deal but doesn't the membership still have to vote on it?
Members still have to vote on it but because there is a tentative deal in place, they are no longer striking. That's not to say they can't resume the strike if members reject the deal, however while there is a tentative deal in place, they can't strike.

It's to speed up the strike process. The union selects a group to represent them and the authorization vote they did before the start of all this gives that team the ability to say when the collective whole will strike and when they will stop striking.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Also I get the feeling they wouldn't be putting this forward if they didn't expect a "yes" on authorization.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Baronash posted:

It doesn't really sound like they did. At best it sounds like it might give them a little extra information when negotiating the next contract, but being unable to share those numbers with their membership seems to take a lot of the benefit away.
Meanwhile, the only viewership-based pay scheme they managed to negotiate seems to be a relatively small bonus for writing something so popular that 1 out of every 5 subscribers watches it. :wtc:

Sharing them under an NDA with the union is more than I expected given how much talk there's been about how much the studios depend on that being confidential. A public option would definitely be preferable, but that plus the AI regulations and pretty much nuking Netflix's plans to exploit South Korea for cheap content is pretty great on its own.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I’m still sort of in disbelief at how much the WGA just loving won.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I’ve been seeing it theorized that the backlash against Drew Barrymore is what convinced the studios that they couldn’t win. The public was firmly on the side of the unions,

I think on top of that stupid statements by CEOs and thinly veiled leaks were pounced on by the public in a way that they wouldn’t have been before social media

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
https://twitter.com/BootsRiley/status/1707189158878290309

Steve Yun posted:

I’ve been seeing it theorized that the backlash against Drew Barrymore is what convinced the studios that they couldn’t win. The public was firmly on the side of the unions,

I think on top of that stupid statements by CEOs and thinly veiled leaks were pounced on by the public in a way that they wouldn’t have been before social media

The lynchpin was almost certainly California ruling that striking workers were eligible for unemployment. Even though it wouldn’t take effect until January that was the moment the studios knew it was impossible to starve the writers out.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Like any good film, the good guys won and the bad guys lost. :unsmith:

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

This is gonna' change everything going forward, too, 'cause every time a contract sucks, these vultures will know who the public's gonna' side with.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

LividLiquid posted:

This is gonna' change everything going forward, too, 'cause every time a contract sucks, these vultures will know who the public's gonna' side with.

The public is also overwhelmingly siding with the striking motor workers.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I know, right? Let's loving gooooooooo.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

These idiots had the whole world in their pocket and all they had to do was not be the most disgustingly greedy morons on the planet. Now the whole stack of cards is falling down on them and it couldn't happen to a more deserving set of idiots.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

LividLiquid posted:

Well for now... don't want to dampen the mood too much but I need to remind everyone that labor is going up against the most sophisticated propaganda machine in history with American media and against a government completely captured by business interests. After stuff dies down I wouldn't be surprised seeing a major anti-union push in the mainstream media, congress trying to slip even more anti-labor bills past, or even SCOTUS going for the gold and ruling for nationwide right to work

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Feldegast42 posted:

labor is going up against the most sophisticated propaganda machine in history with American media and against a government completely captured by business interests

What would be the difference?

I mean, in your mind.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
All the media in the world won't help them if everyone knows they're poo poo.

One of the reasons this is happening is that all the people who had pensions and whose corporate jobs were actually decent and livable are dying. The new generation only knows these companies as two-faced extractors who try to get their employees onboard for 60 hour work weeks at an inadequate wage and a lovely 401k "retirement" plan.

Nobody has any positive experiences with employment with corpos anymore. I was told "things aren't what they used to be" by the olds when I started in the late 90s, and now I'd be the one telling the kids "things aren't what they used to be". They also got exposed as total trash by COVID, and most of these companies still have not returned to the level of service/competency that they had pre-pandemic (haven't you noticed how often everything fucks up nowadays? just companies unable to maintain a basic level of service) So who is going to defend them? Their employees hate their guts and the constant fuckups have turned the customer on them. Media only works if the explanations resonate; these won't.

Anyway yay WGA, organizing works.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
#BringBackChildLabor

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Feldegast42 posted:

Well for now... don't want to dampen the mood too much but I need to remind everyone that labor is going up against the most sophisticated propaganda machine in history with American media and against a government completely captured by business interests. After stuff dies down I wouldn't be surprised seeing a major anti-union push in the mainstream media, congress trying to slip even more anti-labor bills past, or even SCOTUS going for the gold and ruling for nationwide right to work

TV advertising and propaganda only goes so far against shrinking wallets and empty stomachs. Individual bare minimum survival in America is no longer a possibility for like 70% of workers.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Snowman_McK posted:

The public is also overwhelmingly siding with the striking motor workers.

I mean, I'm hopeful, but I think it's easy to be supportive (and I think it's more accurate to say that the public is just largely apathetic) of strikes that aren't noticeably impacting their day to day lives. The UAW strike has only been going for a couple of weeks, so we're still a ways away from the negative press that'll come once cars start getting stuck at repair shops because they can't order a replacement part.

Amusingly, I think the shifting television and film landscape since the 2007 strike actually helped the WGA and SAG in this regard. The distribution model (especially for the networks) used to be "release long seasons on a specific and predictable schedule starting in the Fall." Streaming has upended that predictability, so people are used to having to wait a year or two for their shows to come back and having them get released throughout the year rather than specific windows of time. Sure, the late night shows went dark, but I think the ratings show that those aren't anywhere close to the cultural touchstones they used to be.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Baronash posted:

I mean, I'm hopeful, but I think it's easy to be supportive (and I think it's more accurate to say that the public is just largely apathetic) of strikes that aren't noticeably impacting their day to day lives. The UAW strike has only been going for a couple of weeks, so we're still a ways away from the negative press that'll come once cars start getting stuck at repair shops because they can't order a replacement part.

Amusingly, I think the shifting television and film landscape since the 2007 strike actually helped the WGA and SAG in this regard. The distribution model (especially for the networks) used to be "release long seasons on a specific and predictable schedule starting in the Fall." Streaming has upended that predictability, so people are used to having to wait a year or two for their shows to come back and having them get released throughout the year rather than specific windows of time. Sure, the late night shows went dark, but I think the ratings show that those aren't anywhere close to the cultural touchstones they used to be.

There was also massive support for the RedForEd strikes and protests (in states where striking was illegal, even!) despite the fact that those strikes massively and immediately inconvenienced literally everyone.

I think you're not correct that the public is apathetic.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Nightmare Cinema posted:

#BringBackChildLabor

I've got news for you.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
gently caress GAVIN NEWSOM FOREVER

https://apnews.com/article/unemployment-benefits-california-striking-workers-newsom-d934620ebe0eedc4579293edac2f9709

Is it too late for the AMPTP to back out of the WGA deal? SAG-AFTRA might be hosed.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Pirate Jet posted:

https://apnews.com/article/unemployment-benefits-california-striking-workers-newsom-d934620ebe0eedc4579293edac2f9709

Is it too late for the AMPTP to back out of the WGA deal? SAG-AFTRA might be hosed.

Give an award to whichever goon called this. Amazing

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Pirate Jet posted:

naw - the AMPTP wants to get this poo poo over with they're not gonna drag it out any longer than they have to.

Also, did anyone honesty think he was gonna sign this?

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Newsom has a very obvious flopsweat desperation to be president, so you might imagine he’d *try* to avoid such rancid optics

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I mean, have you seen the current president? Going as far right as possible seems to be working for Democrats these days.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Newsom has a very obvious flopsweat desperation to be president, so you might imagine he’d *try* to avoid such rancid optics

Yeah but the democratic primary base are basically nice polite republicans who buy the "how do we pay for it" lines

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Pirate Jet posted:

I mean, have you seen the current president? Going as far right as possible seems to be working for Democrats these days.

Biden's about as left on labor policy and labor rights administration as we've had in a good long time, this is some amazing kind of self-own by Newsom.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
And the bar is so insanely low that the rail strike stuff doesn't invalidate that statement

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Biden did show up for the UAW strike (the first prez to show up at any strike)

Screw those rail workers I guess?

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Steve Yun posted:

Biden did show up for the UAW strike (the first prez to show up at any strike)

Screw those rail workers I guess?

He only showed up after Trump did so and there was a fair amount of public pressure on Biden to do the same. And I'd bet money there were a lot of back channel assurances to the auto manufacturers that the administration was not going to support the UAW in significant material ways.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Trump showed up to a group of non-striking non-union workers.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

And the bar is so insanely low that the rail strike stuff doesn't invalidate that statement

Didn't the rail workers get their demands met like a month or so after it blew up in the news, it was just done without Biden calling a lot of attention to it for whatever reason?

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Asterite34 posted:

Didn't the rail workers get their demands met like a month or so after it blew up in the news, it was just done without Biden calling a lot of attention to it for whatever reason?

What? The government passed a law enshrining the contract with one day of paid time off for each worker per year, as opposed to the 15 days the union wanted, which was the major issue since the workers have to be on call basically all the time. The government led by Biden crushed the union to avoid a strike

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Jenny Agutter posted:

What? The government passed a law enshrining the contract with one day of paid time off for each worker per year, as opposed to the 15 days the union wanted, which was the major issue since the workers have to be on call basically all the time. The government led by Biden crushed the union to avoid a strike

That's missing the other half of the story and you know it.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

That's missing the other half of the story and you know it.

Enlighten me

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
https://www.ibew.org/media-center/Articles/23Daily/2306/230620_IBEWandPaid

Afaik most of the unions reached agreements this year with the major rail companies.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

koolkal posted:

https://www.ibew.org/media-center/Articles/23Daily/2306/230620_IBEWandPaid

Afaik most of the unions reached agreements this year with the major rail companies.

Glad some of them are getting some sick days. Just imagine what they could have gotten if they had been allowed to strike!

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Maxwell Lord posted:

Trump showed up to a group of non-striking non-union workers.

^

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/drew-barrymore-show-writers-decline-return-1235606269/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YL8L-eaiOlA