Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Come hang out with us on Discord!
Is the IRC channel still active? I don’t know but why not have a look in #eurovision on irc.synirc.net and find out.

First semi final: Tuesday, 9 May 2023
Second semi final: Thursday, 11 May 2023
Grand final: Saturday, 13 May 2023

PDT (West USA) - 12pm
EDT (East USA) - 3pm
BST (UK/Ireland) - 8pm
CEST (Central Europe) - 9pm
EEST (Eastern Europe) - 10pm
AEST (Australia) - 5am

Check your national broadcaster to see if they’re broadcasting it (if you’re in Europe, they almost certainly are). Otherwise, Eurovision will be streaming it themselves on YouTube! ...in some countries. You might need a VPN.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=?live?RZFoFiasrE0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=?live?RZFoFiasrE0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=?live?yinCSFz8PfU

The pageantry is back! Normally we’d be in Ukraine, probably Kyiv, this year after Kalush Orchestra’s decisive victory but… well… *gestures vaguely at everything*. Since the United Kingdom came 2nd place in 2022 (WHAT?!) it’s being hosted in Liverpool on behalf of Ukraine this year for the 67th Eurovision Song Contest.

A total of 37 countries are taking part this year, after a handful of countries have dropped out due to ongoing financial woes and Russia being barred from the contest last year.

One major change has been made to the voting process this year. After years of complaints that the fun entries never get past the semi-finals, the juries no longer have a say until the grand final. In addition, countries who are not part of the contest can now make an online vote for their favourite song, being grouped together into a single “Rest of World” pool of points. Do it here and make sure something fun gets points!

Believe it or not, Eurovision is one of the world’s most watched non-sporting events, with hundreds of millions of global viewers every year. This is a huge international stage and provides a huge boost not only to the artists who are performing, but to the many countries whose music usually doesn’t get much traction outside of their borders.

Having started in 1956 this musical institution is known to basically everyone in Europe, even if they haven’t watched it in years. Each participating country submits a song and performer (often decided by a local vote-for-your-favourite televised contest) and they are pitted against each other on the world stage.

A mixture of juries and the general public vote together to decide what is the best song of the show, with the winning country usually hosting the contest the following year.

But we don’t care about all that. We just love it when people show up with bizarre staging, horse masks and enough pyrotechnics to fast-forward global warming by a decade.

Here's a playlist of the best and worst (actual best) of Eurovision over the years: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL_Z_WldCQ2VzuSltsfCwV0Iavhhfo-0Qe

Listen to them them! (Music streaming services)
Watch them! (Official music videos)
Judge them! (National final performances)

Don’t worry about it.

We are enablers (http://eurovisiondrinking.com/ or http://crucialweb.net/eurovision/drinking) or even https://www.missioneurovision.co.uk/games/eurovision-bingo if you want it to be bingo themed!

Want a goon-only vote? EL BROMANCE has you covered! https://crucialweb.net/eurovision/

2022 | 2021 | 2020 | 2019 | 2018 | 2017 | 2016 | 2015 | 2014 | 2013 | 2012 | 2011 | 2010 | 2009 | 2008 | 2008 | 2007 | 2006 | 2005 | 2004 | 2003

If something needs added to the OP, @ me on Discord or PM me since I'll probably miss anything posted in here!

Question Mark Mound fucked around with this message at 14:51 on May 9, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Hell yeah. I'll watch both semis and the final.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I am in

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

For anyone watching live tonight, commercial breaks are for 2 mins after song #4, Latvia, and song #10, Moldova

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.
Hello thread, it's coming home this year :sweden:

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

I heard the venue is really small this year, like only 11000 seats? :crossarms:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

MIDWIFE CRISIS posted:

I heard the venue is really small this year, like only 11000 seats? :crossarms:

it's tiny. can't get over how small the stage is

Bourricot
Aug 7, 2016

MIDWIFE CRISIS posted:

I like Norway and Finland a lot more, but yeah Sweden is heavily favored to win

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

:toxx: If Sweden don't win on Saturday, probe me for a week.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Holding ya to it

E: if anyone else wants in on a toxx lemme know. No bans/100k but anything else goes

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Holding ya to it

ty seth

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I was at the Dress Rehearsal last night (standing) and will be in the stadium tonight. It's going to be a great show.

e: Go Malta! :toot: Make the Finals!

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Count me on on this too!

Pinwiz11 posted:

I was at the Dress Rehearsal last night (standing) and will be in the stadium tonight. It's going to be a great show.

e: Go Malta! :toot: Make the Finals!

I'm actually really jealous, please update us on what it was like after.

MIDWIFE CRISIS fucked around with this message at 14:24 on May 9, 2023

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

MIDWIFE CRISIS posted:

I hope they have a plan to one-up Love Love Peace Peace.

Innate
Feb 20, 2003

This year, viewers from non-participating countries also get to vote:
https://www.esc.vote

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Sweden's song is mediocre as hell.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

MIDWIFE CRISIS posted:

Count me on on this too!

Got you covered - 1 week if Sweden doesn't win

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

MIDWIFE CRISIS posted:

I'm actually really jealous, please update us on what it was like after.

Definitely. I have Opinions, but I want to hold off until the live show is done.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Europe will be doing some Cha Cha Cha this week

In case you're not finnish, the song is about drinking alcohol (I know, can you believe it?)

Bourricot
Aug 7, 2016

Ratios and Tendency posted:

How can you not appreciate the brilliance of the lyrics ? "And all I care about is you / You're stuck on me like a tattoo"
If you want to phone it in, you should at least put a "fire/higher/desire" rhyme

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

you are out of your mind if you think this is mediocre
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3vJfR81xO0

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ratios and Tendency posted:

I know and it only won in Sweden because it's Loreen performing it, but second place was a pair of norwegian twin(k)s with an even worse song so personally I am fine with Tattoo

e. I don't think it's mediocre actually, just that it's a bit too similar to Euphoria

MIDWIFE CRISIS fucked around with this message at 15:13 on May 9, 2023

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I've self-toxxed by putting £80 down on Sweden to win. I never usually bet more than a few quid for any particular thing but gently caress it, Sweden's winning.

Innate posted:

This year, viewers from non-participating countries also get to vote:
https://www.esc.vote
Thanks for posting this! Forgot to add the link to the OP.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The goon vote says 2022 still, but I promise I updated everything for 2023. It might say 2023 by the final! (It probably wont).

It’s set up for Semi Final 1 today, and I’ll switch it over to SF2 on Thursday.

Foreign Substance
Mar 6, 2010
Grimey Drawer
The Goonvote is honestly my favourite part of Eurovision.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

posting the blursed eurovision song of all time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHnqF5PLP2w

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
Eurovision never disappoints, and the BBC is one of the few broadcasters that knows it shouldn't be taken too seriously, so it will probably be even more fun than usual

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

I watched all the videos for the first semi this weekend and have Opinions.

1. Norway: Cyberwoman with corn smuggled via cargo container into the post-apocalyptic retro-future pyramid-strewn wasteland is here to talk to you about girl power for monarchs.
2. Malta: A nominally adult man in a sweater knit by your nan regresses to infanthood to the incessant tune of a poor man's Sunstroke Project saxophone guy.
3. Serbia: Sleep might come easier to this Balkan Robert Smith-Trent Reznor hybrid if he did not have an alien gestation device for a bed.
4. Latvia: I hope all you Orange Clothes Cult people are ready for your blue pastel-coloured '90s Britpop salvation.
5. Portugal: A Portuguese song that has a beat you can dance to and does not make you want to kill yourself, whatever will they think of next
6. Ireland: Bling ghosts from The Ring are excited about fusing Joshua Tree-era U2 with the hit song "Die Young" by Sheppard.
7. Croatia: Surely the best song about an agricultural vehicle since "Combine Harvester", brought to you by the post-Soviet counterpart to Electric Six.
8. Switzerland: After centuries of supplying mercenaries to armies everywhere, Switzerland's having some second thoughts on war but not on sending ballads to the ESC.
9. Israel: Horny Spider-Woman/centaur wants you to know she has unicorn power and wants you to be horny too.
10. Moldova: Surely even devout Christians will be able to appreciate these bangin' Balkan beats and pagan forest witch ladies who don't care much for dressing modestly.
11. Sweden: Homeless Kate Bush is still at it, but having no access to nail scissors has evidently become a significant problem for Loreen over the years.
12. Azerbaijan: Yes Azerbaijan we all liked "Kiss Me" by Sixpence None The Richer too but it did not need a very white man rapping in the middle of the song.
13. Czechia: Eastern Europe discovers the New Romantic movement and a good way to get douze points from Ukraine.
14. The Netherlands: Well, "Arcade" was good enough to win the ESC a few years ago so who knows, it might win a second time (if these two actually manage to sing remotely in tune before a big audience for once).
15. Finland: Some Little Big, a touch of Rammstein, and a lot of cha cha chas.

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

Yay was wondering where this thread was gonna show up.

Netherlands sucks as usual :geert: but this is my first year as an Dutch citizen I can complain about it with more legitimacy than previous years.

Man are they boring!

It's the only one I've seen though, going in blind for the rest of them as usually do!

Ralph Crammed In fucked around with this message at 17:29 on May 9, 2023

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

poty posted:

Eurovision never disappoints, and the BBC is one of the few broadcasters that knows it shouldn't be taken too seriously, so it will probably be even more fun than usual

I know he’s listed as one of the hosts, but is Graham still doing commentary too?

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

EL BROMANCE posted:

I know he’s listed as one of the hosts, but is Graham still doing commentary too?

BBC site says he's doing commentary on the final. The semis have Rylan Clark and Scott Mills. Scott is a bit rubbish. Rylan is some guy who got famous on a reality show but any time I've seen him on TV he's been reliably funny.

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst
Hoping for last place again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zfnlkiPCVA

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

I'm so excited, there are actually like 5 or 6 good songs this year!

I don't get why Sweden is so favored, that song sucks. I'm ready to get my Cha Cha Cha on this year.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

BBC site says he's doing commentary on the final. The semis have Rylan Clark and Scott Mills. Scott is a bit rubbish. Rylan is some guy who got famous on a reality show but any time I've seen him on TV he's been reliably funny.

Phew, thought that was the case. I go between doing Semis and not, this year I think I’ll skim through and just watch the tracks that didn’t make it tonight when I’m home. Nice to have some surprises for the Final.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

Semis 1 is the difficult one, there are some legitimately good songs that aren't going to go through tonight.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Sombrerotron posted:

I watched all the videos for the first semi this weekend and have Opinions.

A good post

WindowLiquor
Feb 8, 2011

Oh no no, this simply will not do!
I just wish the Netherlands wasn't so bad... Will be sad to have yet another final without my own country.

Idiootti
Apr 11, 2012

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Holding ya to it

E: if anyone else wants in on a toxx lemme know. No bans/100k but anything else goes
If Finland doesn't win probe me for a month. :finland:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

The best time of the year! I hope Europe has learned the lesson that weird songs are way cooler. Fewer ballads, more yodeling Romanians

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

"Identity Crisis" Murderer Wild Guess #333:Prince "Lady Killer Charming "Well, I AM the Adversa"

In addition to the OP, the contest is streaming in the US on Peacock.

I have to leave for a meeting that starts the same time as the contest, so looks like I'll be watching on a bit of a delay. I only started watching two years ago, but I am very excited to continue.